NASCAR 2012

• Please log in to reply
2191 replies to this topic

#651 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 15:08

What's Ricky doing to his face there?

The story goes that his eyes were swollen shut from injuries sustained in a previous crash so the duct taped them open. That looks more like surgical tape in the pic.

I like Ricky Rudd. Good choice.

Advertisement

#652 Juablo

Juablo

• 621 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 18:29

You'll see a lot more of him this season as he's just joined Speed as an analyst

#653 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 18:37

What's Ricky doing to his face there?

You don't know that one Ross?

Rudd had a wild, gyrating flip during the 1984 Busch Clash at Daytona. His eyes were badly swollen, so he taped them open to race in the '500'.

#654 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 18:46

Pffft in 1984 my dad was dragging me to Phoenix for CART and Firebird for the top fuelers and I was slightly shorter than the height of the walls and generally had a "wtf is going on" look.

#655 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,697 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 18:52

Ricky was pretty baby-faced in his youth. Unlike most drivers in that era that looked like they were in their 40s-50s when they were in their 20s-30s.

#656 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 19:41

Ricky was pretty baby-faced in his youth. Unlike most drivers in that era that looked like they were in their 40s-50s when they were in their 20s-30s.

Ricky Rudd was actually far younger than the average top level NASCAR driver then. He was a regular on the circuit when he was 20. I think he would have been 26 or 27 in that photo.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 10 February 2012 - 19:44.

#657 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 19:43

Pffft in 1984 my dad was dragging me to Phoenix for CART and Firebird for the top fuelers and I was slightly shorter than the height of the walls and generally had a "wtf is going on" look.

I thought maybe you'd heard or read about it rather than experienced it first hand.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 10 February 2012 - 19:43.

#658 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 19:56

I know not of NASCAR pre-Jeff Gordon :p

#659 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:39

I know not of NASCAR pre-Jeff Gordon :p

:lol: See that's the problem with you kids! :up:

Amended: but, that's ok, ESPN doesn't either :lol:

Edited by Jim Thurman, 11 February 2012 - 02:55.

Advertisement

#660 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 890 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:18

Youtube link!!!

^ Here's the Rudd crash everyone's talking about for those that don't know the story. And yes, Rudd is one badass dude. I also remember a race in the mid 90s at Martinsville (I think) where he lost his power steering and AC unit on a smoking hot day near the start of the race yet still won. He all but passed out in Victory Lane from exhaustion.

#661 Juablo

Juablo

• 621 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:56

That was in '98, they had to interview him in victory lane while he was laying down getting oxygen

Another great Rudd moment, his feud with Harvick at Richmond. Love that yap-yap comment :lol:

#662 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 15:40

Ooookay...

HARRISBURG, N.C. -- Two Charlotte men are putting their passion for American-Israeli relations on the hood of a Daytona 500 stock car.

The No. 49 “America Israel Racing” car is owned by Robinson-Blakeney Racing and driven by J.J. Yeley.

http://www.wcnc.com/...-138986304.html

#663 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,609 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 16:23

the female newshost even sounds abit like trisher takinowa :D

#664 PhilG

PhilG

• 474 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 17:03

Ooookay...

HARRISBURG, N.C. -- Two Charlotte men are putting their passion for American-Israeli relations on the hood of a Daytona 500 stock car.

The No. 49 “America Israel Racing” car is owned by Robinson-Blakeney Racing and driven by J.J. Yeley.

http://www.wcnc.com/...-138986304.html

Does Yeley have an option not to drive... politics in racing ... never good.... still, i guess it means we can have a '9/11 was an inside job' sponsorship...

#665 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,697 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 20:45

Posted Image

Coo Coo Marlin, Sterling Marlin's pops.

#666 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 21:52

Posted Image

And my favorite #16. Love those Bobby Allison Penske Matadors. IIRC there's one at the Talladega Museum.

#667 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 21:55

For that matter I've always loved that model of Monte Carlo as a stock car, particularly (Allison again) in the Coke colors as raced by Junior Johnson. Time to Netflix "The Last American Hero" again . . .

#668 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,149 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:04

Love those Bobby Allison Penske Matadors.

Agreed, that paint scheme looked great on Donohue's Trans Am Javelin too.

#669 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,670 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:08

Gentlemen:
I watched my first Daytona 500 since 1994 last year.

Now all your chit chat here, and the photos from the better years, has got me curious enough I may watch another one this year.
Carry on gents. :)

#670 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,460 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:57

Posted Image

Short lived First Plus team co-owned by Bill Elliott and former NFL QB legend Dan Marino. Didn't last the season and sued First Plus over sponsorship money

#671 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,697 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:38

The start of Ryan Newman shitty luck at plate tracks (sans the Daytona 500 victory):

Posted Image

Month old news that kinda got missed, but NASCAR acquired another international series to add to the Canada and Mexico series.

The Euro Racecar Series:

Euro Racecar Series gets Touring status

NASCAR announced this week that it had granted NASCAR Touring Series status to the Euro Racecar Series, putting it alongside similar regional championships in the US, Canada and Mexico.

The new partnership means that Euro Racecar will be the officially sanctioned way in for European drivers to graduate on to NASCAR's three US-based national championships - Sprint Cup, Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series.

"Obviously, this is great news for everyone involved in Euro Racecar," said Jérome Galpin, who was the creator of the series that began in 2009 and is currently run by Team FJ with the support of the French Federation (FFSA).

"Joining NASCAR means entering a great family were key words are passion, professionalism and commitment," continued Galpin. "Beyond the recognition, this agreement is a fantastic boost for our series to become one of the main motor sport series in Europe."

Under the long-term deal between the series and NASCAR, Team FJ will remain the exclusive managers and Euro Racecar will continue to also be registered as an FIA International Series.

"We are proud to welcome Euro Racecar to our family," said George Silbermann, NASCAR's Vice President for Regional and Touring Series. "Fans can enjoy the excitement of great stock car racing in locations across the Europe, while talented drivers take the important first step on NASCAR's ladder system."

The partnership will see NASCAR contribute its knowledge and expertise to develop the series in Europe and in creating high-profile sporting events. Euro Racecar was inspired from the start by the NASCAR model and races with tubular chassis cars powered by American V8s.

The first Euro Racecar event of the 2012 season is at Nogaro in France on April 7-8. The series also joins the DTM race weekend at Brands Hatch on May 19-20 before further events at Spa in Belgium, the Tours Speedway in France, and Valencia in Spain before wrapping up in Le Mans in October followed by a non-championship event at Daytona in Florida, US in November.

The Euro Racecar Champion, as well as the runner-up and third-place finisher, will be honoured at the 2012 NASCAR Night of Champions Touring Series Awards Gala in December.

http://www.crash.net...ing_status.html

Also, according to its website, the 'Elite' Champion is guaranteed a NASCAR race and the 'Junior' (25 years of age and younger) Champion is guarantee a NASCAR 'test'. In which series, I don't know but I assume it would be in one of the K&N Series. The only thing I know about the series itself is that the car was used in Race of Champions the last couple of years and that's it's the first & only series to be both NASCAR & FIA approved.

Edited by Dilla, 13 February 2012 - 10:20.

#672 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:08

Famous 12:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#673 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,104 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:27

I see we have Jewish interest in the 500 with The No. 49 “America Israel Racing” car owned by Robinson-Blakeney Racing and driven by J.J. Yeley.

Along those same lines...
Well, sort of.

I was drunk last night and wanted to go to Lewis Hamilton's website to offer my best wishes for the coming season...

Wouldn't ya know, I couldn't type to save my sorry ass and ended up at what I THOUGHT was the right place ..and then the page loaded.

Oi vey..
Jp

#674 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 17:52

That's why I only had half a beer on the tour bus...

Re: Newman flipping the 12 car:

I was watching that year on the old DirecTV(was it DirecTV?) digital pay-per-view thing where you could choose a car to ride onboard with. They were offering it free for Daytona and I was cylcing through different cars.

I'm riding along with Dale Jarrett in the Yates UPS Ford entering the tri-oval, and Newman goes by upside down in the air :lol:

#675 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 18:11

I see we have Jewish interest in the 500 with The No. 49 “America Israel Racing” car owned by Robinson-Blakeney Racing and driven by J.J. Yeley.

Well, sort of.

I was drunk last night and wanted to go to Lewis Hamilton's website to offer my best wishes for the coming season...

Wouldn't ya know, I couldn't type to save my sorry ass and ended up at what I THOUGHT was the right place ..and then the page loaded.

Oi vey..
Jp

LMAO!

#676 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,460 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 19:40

John Wrecks..err...Wes Townley charged with DUI and out of truck ride.

#677 jdanton

jdanton

• 739 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 20:13

John Wrecks..err...Wes Townley charged with DUI and out of truck ride.

His lawyer is going to use video evidence of his races to prove that Townley wasn't drunk, he can't drive worth $#it.

#678 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,592 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 20:22

Month old news that kinda got missed, but NASCAR acquired another international series to add to the Canada and Mexico series.

The Euro Racecar Series:

http://www.crash.net...ing_status.html

Also, according to its website, the 'Elite' Champion is guaranteed a NASCAR race and the 'Junior' (25 years of age and younger) Champion is guarantee a NASCAR 'test'. In which series, I don't know but I assume it would be in one of the K&N Series. The only thing I know about the series itself is that the car was used in Race of Champions the last couple of years and that's it's the first & only series to be both NASCAR & FIA approved.

Here's their website Dilla - the series has grown out of the Speedcar series that ran a couple of years ago and, despite the fact that it looked like a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down the series has, in a huge defiance of probable odds, managed to develop NASCAR racing on circuits around a French heartland. No there's no big ovals (more of which in a moment), yes they race in the rain but numbers have developed nicely to around 30 cars last season. The irony of this series succeeding where Eurocar, Ascar and Speedcar all failed is not to be underestimated, and if their proposed temporary oval race at Tours (yeah lol its French for 'laps' and it's a town that's hosting a race?!?!111 hehe) works then they might have a good precedent for future development not just of a series, but a way of hosting races and 'taking the racing to the people' as Lausitz and Rockingham are both prohibitive due to local restrictions and probably the huge cost of circuit rental and didn't prove popular enough anyway.....there are plenty of ovals that could host this series (Venray in Holland and Warneton in Belgium spring to mind) but if temp ovals can work then we might have a real initiative here.

:up:

#679 byrkus

byrkus

• 786 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 20:41

Posted Image

A potentially noob question... Why did AMC have 366 cid engine, while Chevy used a 427??

Advertisement

#680 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,588 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 20:46

A potentially noob question... Why did AMC have 366 cid engine, while Chevy used a 427??

If it makes you feel any better... What is the difference on a 366 and 427?

#681 byrkus

byrkus

• 786 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 20:51

366 is 6.0 l, while 427 is 7.0 l. That's 1000 cc difference - and in the same racing class?

Or am I missing something obvious here? :)

#682 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,670 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 22:31

366 is 6.0 l, while 427 is 7.0 l. That's 1000 cc difference - and in the same racing class?

One reason was, at that time the AMC block would not hold up when taken out 427 inches, they tried.
They got a weight brake for running the smaller engine.
The actual displacement limit was 430 inches cubed.

Trying to find changing NASCAR rules is hard, but for quite some time they had 9.36 pounds per inch rule.

If you do the math that comes out to an advantage of over 550 lbs.

Edited by Bob Riebe, 14 February 2012 - 19:01.

#683 John B

John B

• 6,263 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 00:31

That's why I only had half a beer on the tour bus...

Re: Newman flipping the 12 car:

I was watching that year on the old DirecTV(was it DirecTV?) digital pay-per-view thing where you could choose a car to ride onboard with. They were offering it free for Daytona and I was cylcing through different cars.

I'm riding along with Dale Jarrett in the Yates UPS Ford entering the tri-oval, and Newman goes by upside down in the air :lol:

It was DirecTV, they've had it free for the past couple of years, it helps get through those long dead periods. One problem is the in car and the normal feed (they show both on the same screen) are out of sync, so you see a big crash live on in car about 10 seconds before the commentary catches up. The audio can be entertaining, especially when they replay the cleaned up or abridged version on the telecast :D Switched this year so I'll miss out....

#684 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,460 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:20

Posted Image
Posted Image
Who once own Hot Wheels car of that?

#685 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 17:17

There was a short period in NASCAR's top class (then known as Grand National) where smaller engines worked better. Better fuel mileage, etc. Quite a diverse range in C.I.D. Eventually, with smaller and smaller motors winning (big help at Martinsville), and the prospect of teams spending $$$ on multiple engines of different displacement, NASCAR mandated a minimum C.I.D.

I'll have to check Greg Fielden's history books to pin down the exact dates, but 1974 was when a lot of it was going on. Which, coincidentally looks to be the same year as the photo of Allison's Matador and Marlin's Monte Carlo at Daytona :)

Edited by Jim Thurman, 14 February 2012 - 17:18.

#686 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,670 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 19:05

After the aero car wars of the '69-'70 displacement and weight rules changed repeatedly in hte seventies until the current 358 inch rule was standardized.

At one point the rules were still flexible enough that a smaller engine still got rule brakes but I remember reading in Autoweek when they asked a team whey they did not try a smaller engine, they replied by saying if they did NASCAR told then they would ban it before it hit the track.

If you want information on stock car racing this site should interest you: http://stockcar.race...msg_mes_network

Edited by Bob Riebe, 14 February 2012 - 20:25.

#687 PhilG

PhilG

• 474 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 20:50

Well, sort of.

Oi vey..
Jp

proper funny.

#688 Juablo

Juablo

• 621 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:18

Derrike Cope wins the 1990 Daytona 500
Posted Image

#689 Pikachu Racing

Pikachu Racing

• 5,460 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:43

One of moments I hated

#690 tweiss

tweiss

• 385 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 13:55

His lawyer is going to use video evidence of his races to prove that Townley wasn't drunk, he can't drive worth $#it.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#691 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 15:55

One of moments I hated

That's the one where Big E suffered a puncture, right?

#692 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 17:22

That's the one where Big E suffered a puncture, right?

Yep, and I loved it...underdog wins by keeping himself in position entire race, something others didn't and couldn't.

#693 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 17:35

Does Yeley have an option not to drive... politics in racing ... never good.... still, i guess it means we can have a '9/11 was an inside job' sponsorship...

Meh, political statements as sponsors in NASCAR are nothing new and so long as the check doesn't bounce they seem fine with it.

During the height of the Vietnam War, Neil Castles raced with "Free Lt. Calley" on the rear quarter panel of his Dodge. Look it up on Wikipedia (either William Calley or My Lai)

And, no, I didn't see that one first hand.

#694 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,670 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 19:55

Yep, and I loved it...underdog wins by keeping himself in position entire race, something others didn't and couldn't.

I agree.

#695 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,697 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:54

Posted Image

#696 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 377 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 13:11

Posted Image

My childhood hero :wave:

#697 John B

John B

• 6,263 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 17:50

Elliott's 1985 car was about as dominant as any superspeedway car, possibly due to the team maxing out the rulebook and aero shaping a car that had a smaller profile than the others.

Cope backed up his 500 win with a less-known victory in Dover that year, then faded after that. That team had Hendrick engines IIRC?

#698 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:37

Cope backed up his 500 win with a less-known victory in Dover that year, then faded after that. That team had Hendrick engines IIRC?

Yes, he did. That was an even more legit drive and win. He dominated. Buddy Parrott and the crew deserve credit for adjustments and good stops, but Cope flat out drove that day.

Another forgotten impressive fact about Cope, he put a Winston West car on the front row on his first superspeedway visit (Michigan).

A lot of people don't recall Cope's fading had a lot to do with his misfortune of being with two teams where health reasons forced the owners to park the car, Testa and Whitcomb. Despite driving for some "big name" owners afterwards, those teams were generally on the way down.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 16 February 2012 - 18:43.

#699 jdanton

jdanton

• 739 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:58

Elliott's 1985 car was about as dominant as any superspeedway car, possibly due to the team maxing out the rulebook and aero shaping a car that had a smaller profile than the others.

In that picture you can see how tight the fenders are on that car. But they also dominated at the intermediate tracks that year as well--Ernie's engines were making a ton of power, which probably resolved any handling issues. That was before NASCAR crew chiefs really understood how to make front downforce.

Advertisement

#700 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,104 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 23:35

Where's the party?

Jp