Photo

NASCAR 2012

• Please log in to reply
2191 replies to this topic

#851 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,823 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 15:17

That's going to be a problem for anyone who wants to consider that. Not only are engines a bit of a logistical mountain, you take your life in your hands for competitive ability.

So on paper it looks like a good move for EGR to go to Dodge because they'll never be the lead Chevrolet team, they would need to do their own engines because EGR and DEI before that were Childress engines.

Advertisement

#852 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,696 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:55

btw robby gordon uses some penske engines and some of his building, he started doing that sometime last year "to control his own destiny"

If rgm could get the dodge deal to make the engines, that would be pretty cool

Robby is currently searching for investors to sell the team off to so he could run half the season without the pressures of ownership.

#853 John B

John B

• 6,263 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 15:36

CK was afraid the car would be too low when measured for height after the race, so CK wanted so damage on it so he could put the blame there if he needed to.
Not so smart to talk about on the comm link.
The car did end up passing after all, but for the next few races CK and the 48 were getting the hairy eyeball by the tech crew.

Almost strikes me as mind games with the competition, the way some baseball pitchers encouraged rumors that they doctored the ball to get in batter's heads. I guess the plan was if he won to back it in to the fence doing a burn out? (which would be kind of obvious).

Makes you wonder if Edwards 'accidentially' tore up the alls star race winning car on the drain pipe at Charlotte.

Some of the classic NASCAR cheats of the past:
-steel bands wrapped around tires to add weight
-buckshot in the frame dropping on the track
-Gibbs putting spacers in Nationwide cars so the pedal wouldn't go all the way for dyno test
-M. Waltrip's blantantly illegal fuel at Toyota's first race

#854 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 16:22

Almost strikes me as mind games with the competition, the way some baseball pitchers encouraged rumors that they doctored the ball to get in batter's heads. I guess the plan was if he won to back it in to the fence doing a burn out? (which would be kind of obvious).

Makes you wonder if Edwards 'accidentially' tore up the alls star race winning car on the drain pipe at Charlotte.

Some of the classic NASCAR cheats of the past:
-steel bands wrapped around tires to add weight
-buckshot in the frame dropping on the track
-Gibbs putting spacers in Nationwide cars so the pedal wouldn't go all the way for dyno test
-M. Waltrip's blantantly illegal fuel at Toyota's first race

The list of creative rules interpretation in NASCAR could go on for pages...
Them dumb hillbillys ain't so dumb, and they are pretty crafty to boot.
In the case under discussion though, I don't think CK asking JJ to back into the wall was a head fake, and if it was, it didn't work out too well as he was definitely singled out for special treatment in the weeks that followed, and I dare say, continues to get the fine tooth comb by NASCAR on all his cars.
It would take a little homework I guess, but I'm pretty sure this is the sixth time he's been busted now, and I'm pretty sure the fines/penalties have increased with each incident. Eventually, if he keeps this up, he will end up with a penalty that could kill his career. I put forth Larry Curry as an example of cheating eventually becoming a career ender.
In the past I've always believed if you ain't cheatin' you ain't trying, but in my past involvement with the garage aspects of racing, it was more seeking the gray areas to exploit instead of flat out cheating, and generally, using those parameters, we never got stomped on by the tech guys. We would get the 'that's pretty clever boys, but don't try it again' speech or the 'you're making us work too hard, and you are gonna pay for it if you keep it up' speech instead of severe penalties. Whatever we did tweek, and got caught for, never did make whatever we messed kill the car if we were caught. Sometimes the tweeks were just fakes to make the other teams spend unnecessary hours trying to figure out what we were trying to do. Dummy fuel lines, false electrical, a bit of added or strangely bent sheet metal and so forth. It was kinda fun actually, but was only done after every thing else was sorted.

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 04 March 2012 - 16:26.

#855 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,823 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 16:27

Larry Curry's been bouncing around in Indycar the last few years as sort of 'speed for hire' but I don't know who he's with at the moment or if he's even in the show. But he got either Marty Roth or Milka going alarmingly quick once on an oval.

#856 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 16:38

Larry Curry's been bouncing around in Indycar the last few years as sort of 'speed for hire' but I don't know who he's with at the moment or if he's even in the show. But he got either Marty Roth or Milka going alarmingly quick once on an oval.

Oh, he's bouncing around alright, but hasn't done too well since his stint with Vision racing, where he, surprise, got booted after TG's cars were sent to the rear after failing tech.
From there he's done stints at Roth and D&R with overall results that were completely unimpressive. Last I heard he was somewhere around Ed Carpenter...

#857 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,823 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 16:40

Any chance he was with him at Fisher at Kentucky :lol:

#858 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 17:46

Eventually, if he keeps this up, he will end up with a penalty that could kill his career. I put forth Larry Curry as an example of cheating eventually becoming a career ender.

Cheating wasn't the career ender for Larry Curry, at least cheating on track.

Embezzling from your team, that can go a long ways to damaging your career. Especially if you do time for it.

Another close personal friend of the ESPN crew, like the guy convicted in an auto theft ring. No wonder he was Stewart's crew chief for a bit.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 04 March 2012 - 17:49.

#859 John B

John B

• 6,263 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 18:11

I just find it interesting someone as smart as CK would make a seemingly bonehead and obvious gaffe by putting it on air. Another possibility to draw attention away from some other trick on the car elsewhere? Wouldn't be the first time that's been done. I wouldn't be shocked to find out they had some kind of traction trick they way they seemed to own Martinsville, Dover, and other Chase tracks.

I personally wish they would allow more gray area, always enjoyed the intrigue. Weren't Harry Gant's and Bill Elliott's 4-race streaks in the early 90s (in seasons where they only won a race or two otherwise) classic examples of engineering tricks that were curtailed or basically leaked to other teams?

Edited by John B, 04 March 2012 - 18:15.

Advertisement

#860 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:13

Another close personal friend of the ESPN crew, like the guy convicted in an auto theft ring. No wonder he was Stewart's crew chief for a bit.

I know you have issues with ESPN, do you think they were the genesis for the earl?
No doubt that curry/menard were primary beneficiaries of the earl formation.
FWIW, any benefits above and beyond, TS and JG have proven worthy of IMO.

#861 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,696 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:26

With Hamlin's win, the #11 ties #43 with the most Cup wins with 198 each.

#862 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,801 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:57

And that's even after Brett Bodine had it for a decade.

#863 John B

John B

• 6,263 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 19:03

...and then got an engineering position proclaiming the COT as 'good looking' and that 'no one would notice the wing or splitter once it was painted.' :D

#864 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:17

I know you have issues with ESPN, do you think they were the genesis for the earl?
No doubt that curry/menard were primary beneficiaries of the earl formation.
FWIW, any benefits above and beyond, TS and JG have proven worthy of IMO.

I do feel they lobbied heavily or indirectly influenced with their weighted coverage, solely with their own interests in mind. Only TG can answer that. Someone should ask him.

I have little doubt that is why Stewart was placed with Menard. How did drivers with such minor resumes manage to consistently get what were on paper the best drives?

I realize that's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. Mine is that all gains derived from dubious origins are ill gotten. It's more the legal definition ;)

I had issues with some at ESPN before their creationism.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 06 March 2012 - 04:38.

#865 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,020 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:13

I have little doubt that is why Stewart was placed with Menard. How did drivers with such minor resumes manage to consistently get what were on paper the best drives?

Really? Winning a USAC Triple Crown in 1995 was a minor achievement for a series whose stated intention was to give sprint car drivers a ride in Indycars?

#866 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:53

Really? Winning a USAC Triple Crown in 1995 was a minor achievement for a series whose stated intention was to give sprint car drivers a ride in Indycars?

Yes, really. When that was arranged by fortuitous scheduling that drivers in earlier years didn't have...yes. It became part of the process. If it had been remotely possible earlier, some drivers could have had accomplished it. Pancho Carter and Rich Vogler come to mind. They won 2 of 3 in the same season with a non-beneficial schedule.

Stewart's Triple Crown is highly overhyped, overrated and overstated. J.J. Yeley has done it since. How often do you hear that in comparison?

Worse, one would have trouble finding references to this USAC "Triple Crown" before 1995. The hype essentially created it (note: there was a USAC "Triple Crown" but it referred to the 3 500 mile races in the 70's)

The year before (1994) there was an ESPN PR campaign over Stewart's attempts to win both the USAC National and USAC Western States midget championship in the same season. ESPN was flying him to races in California on a company plane, he had cars and equipment at his disposal far superior to most in the USAC WS series, and he still lost the title. When Stewart fell from contention, ESPN stopped covering the series and never mentioned the name of the driver that won the championship. Stewart was managed by a former ESPN employee at the time.

I still feel the IRL was formed primarily (if not exclusively) to benefit Tony Stewart, to get him to Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He certainly had perks others didn't receive.

#867 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,823 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 18:09

I was with you until the final line.

It's not like Stewart's middle name is Jesus, so while I can see why the network wanted him to do well what was in it for TG, IMS, etc? You had Al Unser, Michael Andretti, Robby Gordon, and Vasser and Herta coming along. Why would you risk the whole show for one guy?

#868 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 1,670 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:20

George did what George wanted for his personal reasons; history shows that and Stewart was no more than just another driver to George.

Edited by Bob Riebe, 06 March 2012 - 19:20.

#869 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 19:57

George did what George wanted for his personal reasons; history shows that and Stewart was no more than just another driver to George.

Actually, if anything TS was used by George after the fact to make his rather weak argument about getting 'merrican drivers back to indy...
TBH, Jim, I don't begrudge any driver from doing whatever it takes to get to the next level, whether it's opening a wallet, abusing an inside connection or srewing someone's ugly daughter/sister. What I do begrudge is if they do get to the next level and don't/can't perform, yet believe they belong there. Racing is a cut throat business, and I have seen, and what I no doubt will continue to see, is a lot of very talented drivers that just never make the next step, be it for money reasons or what have you.
heck I know a kid right now that is a local who can cut a light with the very best of them, yet is still stuck in the sand drags. he lost two rounds last year in 8 meets, both in the finals. I have no doubt whatsoever he could strap on a Alky dragster and beat Force's daughter(s) every time at the light, yet he'll never get a chance.
No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

#870 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 21:04

I was with you until the final line.

It's not like Stewart's middle name is Jesus, so while I can see why the network wanted him to do well what was in it for TG, IMS, etc? You had Al Unser, Michael Andretti, Robby Gordon, and Vasser and Herta coming along. Why would you risk the whole show for one guy?

Ask Tony George, nobody has ever accused him of being bright. The rest I've explained. I feel he risked it all because some parties loudly and aggresively convinced him that Indy itself would cease to be if action wasn't taken...and now! Remember, as I explained, during daily Indy coverage ESPN was hammering commentary on how there wouldn't be 33 cars, how interest was dying because there weren't American drivers, and perhaps most signifigantly "Indy has already lost Jeff Gordon, they can't afford to lose Tony Stewart." (that one they really leaned on) This was constant from '92 on. I have no idea what the Indy papers were writing, but ESPN just kept pounding it and then racing rags picked up on it (initially those with strong ties to ESPN personel). Yes, George had made an attempt to take over CART before, but aside from rules tinkering at IMS, he'd taken no further signifigant action until he announced formation of the IRL...after all of this had gone on. The timing is too convenient to be coincidental.

I have to feel that's what TG felt was in it for him, the future. These same shysters got him in panic mode and he bit down hard. In some ways, not too different from how I feel a con man and his henchmen approached NASCAR about his stepson.

To those pushing him, I think they did view Tony's middle name as Jesus. Funny you should mention that, as the term "savior" came up in some of the pro-Stewart commentary (as it had with Gordon).

But, again, someone should ask George specifically.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 06 March 2012 - 22:41.

#871 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 21:19

Actually, if anything TS was used by George after the fact to make his rather weak argument about getting 'merrican drivers back to indy...

The timing would suggest otherwise. Yes, he was used as the key marketing point, which brings me back to my point.

TBH, Jim, I don't begrudge any driver from doing whatever it takes to get to the next level, whether it's opening a wallet, abusing an inside connection or srewing someone's ugly daughter/sister. What I do begrudge is if they do get to the next level and don't/can't perform, yet believe they belong there. Racing is a cut throat business, and I have seen, and what I no doubt will continue to see, is a lot of very talented drivers that just never make the next step, be it for money reasons or what have you.
heck I know a kid right now that is a local who can cut a light with the very best of them, yet is still stuck in the sand drags. he lost two rounds last year in 8 meets, both in the finals. I have no doubt whatsoever he could strap on a Alky dragster and beat Force's daughter(s) every time at the light, yet he'll never get a chance.
No bucks, no Buck Rogers.

Most times I'd completely agree with what you state, aside from the performance aspect. To me, I could care less how they've performed (albeit in the very best of equipment from day one, which again, begs further questions). In the case of those two notables though (as well as some underlings who failed), it was a major conflict of interest when a television production company became involved, let alone to the degree they immersed themselves. More irksome when they're portrayed as drivers that "aren't ride buyers"

Without their involvement, the first case would have just been an extremely pushy dad with tales that should have raised red flags while the second might not have happened at all. Stewart probably would have still been running around at places like Gas City and Lawrenceburg. Who knows?, if more people would have said no to John Bickford, like most did when he was in California, maybe he'd have left Jeff's mom to try and find another meal ticket. He did it once before (that's how he got to her).

EDIT: Actually, he did it again later when Jeff kicked him to the curb...Boston Reid.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 07 March 2012 - 20:25.

#872 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 21:37

Someone else germane to the discussion, but only as a comparison point...Mark Martin.

Prior to Jeff Gordon, Mark Martin was the closest thing I'd experienced in terms of advance media notice. Martin was this teenager who was beating a lot of grizzled short track veterans and slowly began getting notice. His races weren't televised, so it was racing writers around the country who noticed him and a slow buzz began building about this kid from Arkansas (keep in mind, back in the 1970's, there were something like 60 racing newspapers, mostly regional. I can only think of one national racing magazine covering that beat). I remember reading racing papers where one by one, writers would write how impressed they were with Martin, many of whom seemed skeptical until they'd seen him in person.

Martin's coverage was organic versus inorganic. Very different.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 07 March 2012 - 07:43.

#873 Juablo

Juablo

• 621 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 00:11

Regan Smith and Paul Menard, along with Smith's wife, Megan, and a friend of the Smiths, escaped injuries in a Colorado road accident Wednesday. The foursome was on the way to a nearby ski slope.

At 8:45 a.m. local time, Smith lost control of his Silverado truck after hitting a patch of ice near his mountain home in Evergreen, outside of Denver. The truck slid off the road and crashed into a collection of trees.

Smith and Menard will compete in Sunday's Sprint Cup Series race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Smith drives the No. 78 Chevrolet for Furniture Row Racing while Menard drives the No. 27 Chevrolet for Richard Childress Racing.

http://www.nascar.co...scape-injuries/

#874 purplesector

purplesector

• 47 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 00:16

Glad all okay, which means I can say: Regan and Megan Smith?? Ho Ho!

Works better if she pronounces it the Aussie way to rhyme with Regan, rather than the English Meggan sound.

#875 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 00:35

That is good news--in my workplace NASCAR fantasy league the other day we were talking about what a good driver Smith's proven to be and speculating on where he'll end up when his contract is over.

#876 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:56

http://www.nascar.co...scape-injuries/

Thanks for posting this Juablo. Glad they're ok.

Geez, over 27 hours with no posts to the thread? It's like y'all were afraid to post or something. Wimps :lol:

I agree, after a very rocky start (rushed too early?), Regan has done a good job. Replacing Mark Martin in the #6 was an unenviable position for him.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 08 March 2012 - 04:18.

#877 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,883 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:27

I agree, after a very rocky start (rushed too early?), Regan has done a good job. Replacing Mark Martin in the #6 was an unenviable position for him.

That was David Ragan. Regan Smith and Mark Martin shared a DEI ride in Regan's rookie year. Without a doubt you're not the first person to get them mixed up!

#878 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:02

I really don’t like David Ragan. On the radio he was very disrespectful of JPM with a racist bent. Regan Smith is cool. I liked the story about how he moved to Colorado to be closer to his team.

#879 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:53

That was David Ragan. Regan Smith and Mark Martin shared a DEI ride in Regan's rookie year. Without a doubt you're not the first person to get them mixed up!

D'oh :rolleyes: No, but I should have known better. Man, this whole day was a disaster :yawnface:

I knew to tell the three different drivers named Jim Cook apart, the two different Indy drivers named Al Miller and the two drivers named Bill Cantrell, but that, that threw me (where's the icon for head slap?)

Edited by Jim Thurman, 08 March 2012 - 06:55.

Advertisement

#880 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 14:35

From Fox via Jayski, Stewart interested in the Grand-Am race at Indy.

Stewart would like to run Indy Grand Am race: Sprint Cup champion #14-Tony Stewart might try to add another racing series to his already full calendar this summer. Stewart, who was at Texas Motor Speedway Tuesday as part of the track's media days, said he didn't think he would run in the Nationwide Series at Indianapolis this July. The Sprint Cup weekend at Indy also features a July 27 race in the Grand-Am Road Racing Series. That is something that might suit Stewart. "If I do anything, I'd like to run the Grand Am race to be honest," Stewart said. "We might be able to try and put something together for that hopefully." Stewart said he didn't want to deny a Nationwide spot to a driver who was trying to live out a dream of running at the storied venue.(Fox Sports)(3-7-2012)

#881 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 14:42

Also Ganassi honoring former driver Wheldon this weekend at Las Vegas.

Earnhardt-Ganassi running decal in memory of Wheldon: EGR will pay tribute to former Target Racing member Dan Wheldon this weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The #1 McDonald's and #42 Clorox Chevys will display a decal in memory of the two-time Indianapolis 500 Winner and 2005 IZOD IndyCar Series Champion. In a joint venture between NASCAR and its teams, the decal was created to pay tribute to Wheldon. The logo depicts Richard the Lionheart, a 12th century king of England - Wheldon's home country. He once wrote, "When I first started racing, a lot of the guys said that I raced with a lot of heart, occasionally not my head, but always with a lot of heart, like the way that Richard the Lionheart fought in battle." He wore a small mural of the 12th-century warrior king on his racing helmet. Wheldon drove for Target Chip Ganassi Racing in the IZOD IndyCar Series for three seasons (2006-2008) and won six races.(EGR)(3-7-2012)

http://www.jayski.co...s.htm#20120308e

#882 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 6,880 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 16:36

Hey guys - do any of you know if there is any racing going on (not Nascar obviously, but of any kind) at Daytona in August? A friend of mine from England is going to be going to Florida in August and I can't think of any racing there that might happen in August, apart from possibly track days. Anyone know better?

#883 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 16:40

Hey guys - do any of you know if there is any racing going on (not Nascar obviously, but of any kind) at Daytona in August? A friend of mine from England is going to be going to Florida in August and I can't think of any racing there that might happen in August, apart from possibly track days. Anyone know better?

What does Daytona's website reflect? There's probably a track schedule.

#884 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 6,880 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 18:14

There is.. it ends in July :D.

#885 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,664 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 18:18

Daytona does have a museum and a tour of the track.

http://www.daytonain...Info/Tours.aspx

Better than nothing?

#886 Juablo

Juablo

• 621 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 18:31

Loving the flared arches on these new generation of cars. It's a pity though that we might not see this car on track next year.

#887 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,609 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 19:25

its amazing how flat the stickers look compaired to a real grill on that vid :x

#888 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,664 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 20:48

Click on the Jimmy Spencer video. Pretty funny at the end when he talks about Brian Pattie getting yelled at by Boyer and mentions Juan. Heck...maybe it was the crew chief. :smoking:

http://nascar.speedt...-48-nascar-team

#889 John B

John B

• 6,263 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 00:09

Won't be Stewart's first experience with DP cars, his team had a close miss winning a recent Daytona 24 hours with a late suspension breakage IIRC.

#890 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:04

Montoya's Daytona car finds home at Junior's farm.

JUNKYARD DOG — Dale Earnhardt Jr. has quite a junkyard on his farm in Mooresville, N.C., with the latest — and arguably most infamous — acquisition being the Earnhardt Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates Chevrolet that Juan Pablo Montoya crashed into a jet dryer during the Daytona 500, necessitating a two-hour delay to repair the track The car was a gift from Chris “Sunshine” Heroy, who is Montoya’s crew chief but used to be Earnhardt’s engineer.

“‘Sunshine,’ man, he’s a buddy of mine and he gave it to me,” Earnhardt said Friday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. “I got about 50 or 60 cars out there and I didn’t buy any of them.”

Asked where the Montoya car ranks in his collection, Earnhardt said, “It ranks right up there. It’s one of the top two or three.”

http://nascar.speedt...nascar-sprint1/

Wow, 50-60 cars parked out in the fields. Who says there are no more rednecks in NASCAR?

#891 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 14:07

Danica lowers her aspirations for the season; decides Nationwide title may not be attainable.

http://nascar.speedt...wide-las-vegas/

#892 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,469 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 17:45

Danica lowers her aspirations for the season; decides Nationwide title may not be attainable.

http://nascar.speedt...wide-las-vegas/

Did she finally realise that even better Indycar drivers than her like Hornish Jr and Allmendinger (and Franchitti a few years ago) haven't exactly dominated in NASCAR?

#893 red stick

red stick

• 2,288 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 18:28

Did she finally realise that even better Indycar drivers than her like Hornish Jr and Allmendinger (and Franchitti a few years ago) haven't exactly dominated in NASCAR?

She probably knew that. More likely she's discovered, up close and personal, that the cars are heavier, hard to see out of, handle poorly, require constant attention and feedback to be properly set up through the course of the race, the races are longer, you've got to be absolutely fit to manhandle them, and the competition is fierce.

#894 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,696 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 19:18

Some still sideview pictures of the new Dodge that will (hopefully) be on track next year, competitively.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#895 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,823 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 19:22

That's uh...an interesting nose.

#896 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 22:13

Buh Bye, Chad
:wave:

CONCORD, N.C. — The crew chief for five-time champion Jimmie Johnson lost his appeal Tuesday challenging penalties for failing the opening day inspection at the Daytona 500.
The three-member committee heard testimony from Hendrick Motorsports and NASCAR, then ruled unanimously in favor of the sanctions against Chad Knaus....
More...

#897 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,801 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 22:23

Still, evidently Mr Knaus is not as big a cheat as that disgusting, disgraceful, rule-massacring blemish on racing history Carl Long, with his malicious and pre-meditated buying an engine that was 0.0000000000000000000001cc too big.

#898 Juablo

Juablo

• 621 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 22:48

Buh Bye, Chad
:wave:

Not for at least another week:

However, Rick Hendrick will take the issue to a further and final instance, the Chief Appellate Officer, which means the penalties continue to be suspended until this final hearing. Knaus and Malec will thus be at Bristol next weekend for round four of the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98008

Edited by Juablo, 13 March 2012 - 22:49.

#899 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:40

Not for at least another week:

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/98008

If anything, the sentence may be reduced, but the sentence is passed.

Advertisement

#900 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,759 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:46

I'll be in LA on the weekend of the race at Fontana. But I won't have a car. Is it worth going down the track against finding a nice sports bar nearby?