Photo

NASCAR 2012

• Please log in to reply
2191 replies to this topic

#51 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,714 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 19:32

He was actually competitive too; almost won some races with Elliott Sadler last year and had sponsors.

Posted Image

Edited by Dilla, 30 November 2011 - 19:37.

Advertisement

#52 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 19:53

I'm gonna need to see some '88 mulletage too.

#53 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,714 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:04

:up:

Posted Image

:love:

Dale Jarrett is my favorite driver ever - from any racing series.

Edited by Dilla, 30 November 2011 - 20:21.

#54 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:17

That is incredible.

#55 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,311 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:40

I think Tony could win it again. But we shall see.

#56 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,056 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 20:42

go on ross, grow a mullet :D

#57 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,305 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 21:16

woah!
That was serious business up front, party in the back...

#58 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 21:20

That's not a party, that's a Mardi Gras parade.

#59 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,486 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 22:34

Do Marcos and JPM have any serious chance at making the Chase in 2012?

What abut oval wins. Are they any closer? I know JPM nearly won the Brickyard 400 a couple of times, but since then has he even been close?

Advertisement

#60 shotcaller

shotcaller

• 101 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 22:52

What abut oval wins. Are they any closer? I know JPM nearly won the Brickyard 400 a couple of times, but since then has he even been close?

I think Marcos has a real chance. He had bad luck in several races and got taken out. The RPM cars seemed to have made a lot of progress this past year.

#61 paulogman

paulogman

• 1,877 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 18:56

unlike marcos, jpm has already been in the chase. as long as the team is going in the right direction and jpm remember to stay out of on track confrontations he should make it.

#62 Juablo

Juablo

• 622 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 19:23

If EGR sort out their aero department JPM could challenge on a few of the ovals imo. I still think he could have run down KuBu at Atlanta last year were it not for Edwards roid rage. Also EGR are usually pretty strong at the plate tracks albeit a magnet for out of control cars.

As for RPM and Ambrose, a lot of their improvement has been down to their alliance with Roush and the FR9 engine. With the amount of layoffs at Roush, the loss of one car and a lack of sponsorship for Kenseth you have to wonder if they can keep it up into next year.

Edited by Juablo, 01 December 2011 - 19:24.

#63 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,056 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 20:49

Ok, so for the history guys.. countdown..
Buck Bakers '57 Chevy "Black Widow"
Posted Image

'57 Chevys had mechanical fuel injection and as far as I know the first production car to boast 1hp per cubic inch.
It seems they would of run fuel injection setups back in those days, funny how things come back around huh ?

There is a test at Daytona 12-14th January, for any locals there will be fan events at the track : http://www.scenedail...s_for_2012.html

Also mentioned is a preview event in Charlotte, January 21st.

Congratulations to Regan Smith and David Stremme who both got married last weekend (not to each other, thankfully!)

EGR have been thinning out the hard: http://msn.foxsports...-program-112911
Steve Hmiel (Competition Director), Tony Glover (Team Manager), Ed Nathman (Former Lead Engineer) have all been "released".

SPEED have signed Hermie Sadler to cover the trucks on a two year contract.

RCR have an auction of surplus gear on Dec 6th : http://www.ironhorse...?...s=1&nid=564

Keselowski and crew chief Paul Wolfe have signed 'multi year' contract extensions: http://www.penskerac...m...2&cid=50918
I guess thats a prfetty good move from Penske if Brad continues to mature as he has done this year ?

Edited by Crafty, 01 December 2011 - 20:49.

#64 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 20:52

Ed Nathman? Like the Newman-Haas guy during the Andretti years?

#65 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,056 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 21:04

From a quick google it would seem so. From the article I linked to is looks like they took on John Probst as technical director and Nathman has been "at risk" since then..

#66 Youichi

Youichi

• 2,996 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:29

Congratulations to Regan Smith and David Stremme who both got married last weekend (not to each other, thankfully!)

What do you mean thankfully ? Can you imagine the entertainment at some of the southern tracks if they HAD married each other ? :rotfl:

#67 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,690 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:37

My thought was "Is there anything wrong with it?"
But I think your is more fun Youichi!

#68 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,056 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 14:20

What do you mean thankfully ? Can you imagine the entertainment at some of the southern tracks if they HAD married each other ? :rotfl:

I could see a new film appearing, "Brokeback Daytona" :rotfl:

Seems everyone had a ball at the champions week, I read quite a few tweets about it yesterday.

ETA: Stewie awards - http://www.siriusxm.com/stewieawards

How Vickers didn't get the "bonehead move of the year" I don't know, maybe he made too many to pick from ?

Kurt has taken his issues to a shrink and wants to pick a crew chief that will "put me back in my box if I get out of it".
Maybe him and Kyle can get a group discount ?

Edited by Crafty, 02 December 2011 - 16:14.

#69 John B

John B

• 6,288 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 17:55

On the number front, IIRC the next win by Hamlin ties the #11 with the #43. I was surprised they were that close, but Jr Johnson had a long run of success with Yarborough, Waltrip, Elliott, Labonte etc.

They are 100 ahead of the next, #3.

#70 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 18:26

I don't like that math, unless the 11 was always run by the same team.

#71 Juablo

Juablo

• 622 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 21:50

http://www.jayski.co...ts/winbynum.htm

There's the list, #42 is ninth

Edited by Juablo, 02 December 2011 - 21:51.

#72 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,056 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 23:26

Elliott Forbes-Robinson in '81
Posted Image

#73 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,193 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 23:44

Kurt wants to pick a crew chief that will "put me back in my box if I get out of it".

I'm tellin' ya, Fran Lebowitz is the right pick.
Either her or Senor Wences...
S'awriiiight?....S'awriiiight !

Jp

#74 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,714 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:53

Sprint extends deal with NASCAR through 2016. The previous deal had been set to expire after 2012.

Still a bit annoyed at Sprint for the rule that no other telecommunication companies can their have logos on a Cup car. That effectively pushed Motorola, Verizon, AT&T, and any other similar company out of NASCAR and had some teams scrambling for sponsorship back in 2008.

Edited by Dilla, 03 December 2011 - 07:56.

#75 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,056 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:19

I'm tellin' ya, Fran Lebowitz is the right pick.
Either her or Senor Wences...
S'awriiiight?....S'awriiiight !

Jp

I was thinking about Delana, I mean would you disobey her ? :)

BTW guys feel free to keep the countdown going, I've just been posting late at night to keep it going. If you have some background history about the number posted lets see that too, I've been looking back through old pictures and so far found a very young jeff gordon, mark martin being nicknamed "the kid" in the #2 and a video of richard petty kicking the roof of his car to bend it back in to place after the wind bent it..

#76 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:01

Sprint extends deal with NASCAR through 2016. The previous deal had been set to expire after 2012.

Still a bit annoyed at Sprint for the rule that no other telecommunication companies can their have logos on a Cup car. That effectively pushed Motorola, Verizon, AT&T, and any other similar company out of NASCAR and had some teams scrambling for sponsorship back in 2008.

It's even more stupid considering AT&T turns around and buys advertising time within the broadcast...

#77 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,714 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 18:58

NASCAR teams could those sponsorship dollars right now that some of those companies could provide.

#85 is not noteworthy in NASCAR.

Posted Image

Carl Long

Edited by Dilla, 03 December 2011 - 19:01.

#78 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 906 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 00:36

Jeff Gordon break dances at Cup Banquet

Wow...didn't see that coming. I'd like to a see full routine next season after a win. Edwards' backflip has nothing on that.

Edited by nosaj100, 04 December 2011 - 00:37.

#79 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,714 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 20:40

Brain Pattie announced as Clint Bowyer's crew chief.

Posted Image

Back when it looked like Allmendinger was going to get washed out the series rather quickly (and probably would have been running IndyCar right now), but he was signed by Gillett after Carpentier got released and did well enough for Petty to give him a shot.

That's why I like him, he didn't give up. After that DUI, I thought he was done with NASCAR for sure. It showed me that he was here simply for more money.

Jeff Gordon break dances at Cup Banquet

Wow...didn't see that coming. I'd like to a see full routine next season after a win. Edwards' backflip has nothing on that.

:lol:

That would be nice, but sadly I recall him having significant back problems a couple of years ago. It may be better now, but I don't think he wants to push it. :p

His right though, they didn't have proper break dance music. They needed some Afrika Bambaataa.

Edited by Dilla, 04 December 2011 - 20:46.

Advertisement

#80 ch103

ch103

• 712 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:40

Busch fired from Penske

#81 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 906 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:37

Busch fired from Penske

I've seen conflicting reports. Some say he's fired. ESPN says there is a meeting Monday to discuss his status, no action has been taken. Guess we'll see.

#82 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:29

Busch is a prick of the highest order and I'd take that into consideration when hiring him, but I don't know that I'd sack him for it. Even the clip from Homestead.

I partly agreed with him, why couldn't they record it to tape? Would YOU want to keep an obviously irritated Kurt standing around? I'd want to get it done and get out of there...

#83 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:52

http://www.jayski.co...ts/winbynum.htm

There's the list, #42 is ninth

Look at #24. All wins by same driver.

#84 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,608 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:52

Busch is a prick of the highest order and I'd take that into consideration when hiring him, but I don't know that I'd sack him for it.

Me either, it's clear that he's 'high maintenance' (to say the least) but this season has been pretty busy for driver outbursts, which is not to condone Kurt's actions but it does seem to me that it's a little 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater' (unless he's just as much a prick at the factory as we saw on camera??)

Edited by wrighty, 05 December 2011 - 12:53.

#85 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,193 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:02

Ha...
One less Shithead :up:
Give TrevvyB the ride.
Jp

#86 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,714 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:04

Assuming Busch is let go, speculation is that David Ragan is the early candidate, but I'm going to say that the ride will be Hornish's.

#87 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:08

This is why I don't see it happening. Because as good as Penske equipment is the Davids, Sam, and Brian aren't as good as Kurt.

#88 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,032 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:09

Busch fired from Penske

Holy shit! We all knew it was a matter of time, Penske really doesn't tolerate such foul characters, but I'm still surprised it happened that quickly.

#89 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,032 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:13

This is why I don't see it happening. Because as good as Penske equipment is the Davids, Sam, and Brian aren't as good as Kurt.

Penske could be thinking about team morale. He's very big on having the whole team work, and I can't think of a more poisonous person to have on your team than Kurt. Wasn't berating the team his regular past time? Even Juan Pablo after missing his Valium dose has nothing on Kurt.

#90 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:18

Like someone said previously, there must be a lot more going on internally.

Maybe this is legacy from when he went apeshit on the radio. Was that spring 2011 or sometime last year? What I remember was Paul Tracy saying "...damn"

#91 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,305 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:30

Maybe this is legacy from when he went apeshit on the radio. Was that spring 2011 or sometime last year? What I remember was Paul Tracy saying "...damn"

I think it was at Richmond, but it was nonetheless one of many incidents he was an ass.I'm pretty sure he's gone off on Jenna Fryer in more than one instance.
This is a sponsor driven sport, it's not football. If the lead figure has serious personality issues with the media, the fans and has the personality of a dead fish at sponsor events, it doesn't matter if he's Mr. Awesome at the wheel, he's not worth the cubic bucks that Penske is risking losing because of his antics. The icing on the cake is he doesn't even get along with the team internally.
I'd like to see the Buscg brothers start their own team, it's probably the only way they will learn how to treat sponsors, the media and their employees/teamates with any respect, but then again who would want to deal with them, idiots.

#92 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,032 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:37

It very well may have been the last straw kind of a deal, but it's not like the latest incident was a pretext. It was pretty bad in its own light, and having it go viral certainly didn't help. Penske had to have been fed up with the meltdowns, and he is also probably not happy about losing people like Addington because of Kurt. I don't really see the need here to dig up hidden reasons here, the reasons known to us are more than enough to lose your job with Penske. Penske is very capable of hurting himself in the short run to enforce discipline in the long run.

#93 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:39

The thing is, Kurt is Mr Corporate on live TV. He dulls me to death and I dislike it more because I know that's not his normal personality. Some of the guys are just boring, but when it's an act?

#94 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,305 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:42

Penske is very capable of hurting himself in the short run to enforce discipline in the long run.

That's the key statement right there.

#95 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 14:48

I'd love to see him do it, because it'd be great if a team owner finally said "F you dude, you drive for ME" and Penske is the guy to do it. But because of the performance factors, the relative lack of scandal(it's gossipy more than outrageous, I thought him yelling at the team was far worse) it doesn't seem like the logical outcome.

#96 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:03

SPEED is also re-hashing the story. Looks like it's end of the line for Kurt:

http://nascar.speedt...e-breaking-news

This guy really was an asshole, though. I certainly won't miss him, and I'm glad Jimmy Spencer punched him.

#97 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,305 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:03

I'd love to see him do it, because it'd be great if a team owner finally said "F you dude, you drive for ME" and Penske is the guy to do it. But because of the performance factors, the relative lack of scandal(it's gossipy more than outrageous, I thought him yelling at the team was far worse) it doesn't seem like the logical outcome.

You forget the Rousch incident?
Remember why Rousch fired him is because he got mouthy with a punch of cops while driving like an idiot at the Phoenix racetrack after hours and refusing to take a breathalyzer.
That was fairly scandolous, and frankly I would also consider M-fing an announcer and having it go viral on You Tube pretty scandolous as well.

#98 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,081 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:20

BOOM

http://www.penskerac...m...n&cid=50920

It's a shame Roger is too classy to have done this last week, right before the awards ceremony...

I assume Kurt will scrape together a ride somewhere, but even if he drove for all the prize money who has a ride? No idea who is rumoured to be a candidate for the Red Bull buyout, but if he's available that'd certainly make that team more attractive...

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 05 December 2011 - 15:31.

#99 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,305 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:37

Good for Penske, now maybe Gibbs will grow a pair and deal with his brother...

As an aside, I think they are both great drivers, I believe that Kyle may be the best there is out there right now. But their petty ass attitudes suck, big time, they should be happier than a pig in sh!t to race at this level, and for two of the best in the business, Gibbs and Penske.

Advertisement

#100 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,714 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 15:49

You forget the Rousch incident?
Remember why Rousch fired him is because he got mouthy with a punch of cops while driving like an idiot at the Phoenix racetrack after hours and refusing to take a breathalyzer.
That was fairly scandolous, and frankly I would also consider M-fing an announcer and having it go viral on You Tube pretty scandolous as well.

Busch had already signed with Penske already at that point (and Roush had signed McMurray to replace him), so Roush had been itching to have a reason to let him go. He wasn't fired because of that incident.

As for Kyle, he doesn't a great relationship with the media and some other drivers, but I'm under the perception that he is mostly liked by his crew and the majority of his sponsors. Unlike Kurt, he has personal sponsors (NOS, Traxxas, Dollar General) and none of them did anything when he took out Hornaday. He wouldn't have the resources to run his own team and expand like he is still doing next year if he was ultra-nasty off the track - winner or not.

Edited by Dilla, 05 December 2011 - 15:59.