• Please log in to reply
2191 replies to this topic

#101 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 16:11

SPEED is also re-hashing the story. Looks like it's end of the line for Kurt:

http://nascar.speedt...e-breaking-news

This guy really was an asshole, though. I certainly won't miss him, and I'm glad Jimmy Spencer punched him.

Yep, it's official.

Also,

At Daytona in Feb. 2008, Tony Stewart and Busch were summoned to the NASCAR hauler after contact during practice for the Budweiser Shootout. During that meeting, Stewart allegedly punched Busch after Busch called Stewart fat and made remarks about Stewart’s haircut.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Advertisement

#102 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 16:13

That's actually kinda funny.

But probably because I liked it when Robby Gordon got in his face at Daytona one year.

#103 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 16:33

I nominate Jacques Villenueve as a replacement.
:rotfl:

#104 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,612 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 17:20

I nominate Jacques Villenueve as a replacement.
:rotfl:

I second that!

#105 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,022 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 17:29

You forget the Rousch incident?
Remember why Rousch fired him is because he got mouthy with a punch of cops while driving like an idiot at the Phoenix racetrack after hours and refusing to take a breathalyzer.
That was fairly scandolous, and frankly I would also consider M-fing an announcer and having it go viral on You Tube pretty scandolous as well.

To be fair, the run-in was with Joe Arpaio's cops. Even taking into account Kurt's character, I would still not make any assumptions about who was the bigger asshole in that incident, or even about the basic facts of the case.

#106 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 17:37

Busch is a prick of the highest order and I'd take that into consideration when hiring him, but I don't know that I'd sack him for it. Even the clip from Homestead.

I partly agreed with him, why couldn't they record it to tape? Would YOU want to keep an obviously irritated Kurt standing around? I'd want to get it done and get out of there...

Not to excuse or defend Kurt Busch, but his going off right after Punch told him about the transmission part going through Stewart's radiator might give some creedence to NASCAR sternly telling the other 41 drivers they weren't to play any part in the championship outcome.

Busch even made reference to it in his apology, that hearing that about Stewart being affected was the last thing he needed to hear at that moment.

#107 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 17:39

Good for Penske, now maybe Gibbs will grow a pair and deal with his brother...

Gibbs never grew any to deal with Stewart, aside from PR moves and going through the motions, why start now?

Interesting that the AP racing writer says that there's some kind of incident with Stewart every weekend, but it rarely gets reported.

#108 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 17:49

Hell, half of those are broadcast live...

But I liked it when Tony went off on them at Richmond(?). Jenna Fryer was asking dumb questions.

#109 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:06

Sam Hornish Jr for the Pennzoil Dodge. A no-brainer. After this year's success with Brad, Penske must be thinking he can do the same with Sam.
It doesn't look too good for Kurt, he's lost some bargain rights as we've just seen, but he may have something up his sleeve.
Maybe some top hat will have a go. He's clearly one of the best out there.

#110 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:11

Penske have said Hornish isn't going to get it.

#111 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:14

Sam Hornish Jr for the Pennzoil Dodge.

notgonnahappen.com
Been there done that with Hornish.
Penske already has a game plan with Sam, he did show better this year in the Nationwide series, and I believe he has a full time ride there this year w/ Penske and some Cup races in the 77 lined up.
Fulltime? I say no, he'll be flying the Mobil colors, not Shell/Pennzoil.
Ricky Stenhouse has sponsor issues w/ Rousch in Nationwide, and Rousch has nothing for him in Cup.
Elliot Sadler is a sponsors freindly pick.
David Ragan has an outside chance.
Reutiman is on the downhill side so I don't see him as a longtermer.

#112 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:19

Penske have said Hornish isn't going to get it.

He said he was trying to put something together for Sam, in Cup, and the Shell-Pennzoil connection makes sense, they've had a successful partnership in the IRL... And there aren't many high profile drivers on the market these days.

#113 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:21

Mobil 1 is at Stewart-Haas and uh, kinda conflicts with Shell...

#114 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:27

Mobil 1 is at Stewart-Haas and uh, kinda conflicts with Shell...

Yup, my bad...
Mobil went to Stewy when Hornish got dropped, right?

#115 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,883 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:28

Mr. and Mrs. Busch must be so proud of their sons right now. :lol:

#116 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,697 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:30

You would probably have to kill Roush to get him to let go of Stenhouse or Bayne at this moment.

Ragan is the current front-runner for a one-year-deal. Multiple inquiries have already been made.

Edited by Dilla, 05 December 2011 - 18:32.

#117 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:34

Yup, my bad...
Mobil went to Stewy when Hornish got dropped, right?

I think they jumped because Penske signed Shell-Pennzoil away from RCR much earlier in the year. I think he did a b2b deal with Penske Inc but bear in mind Chrysler is part-owned(?) by FIAT and they've got OEM with Shell on all their brands, so it probably just tied everything together.

Plus Mobil is in a long-term relationship with GM so it probably didn't take a lot to convince them to back a competitive Chevy with a name driver.

#118 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:35

At Daytona in Feb. 2008, Tony Stewart and Busch were summoned to the NASCAR hauler after contact during practice for the Budweiser Shootout. During that meeting, Stewart allegedly punched Busch after Busch called Stewart fat and made remarks about Stewart’s haircut.

You don't remember that? All the way back to 2008? :p

My thought was, wow, Kurt must be a terrible fighter (though I didn't disagree with his choice of topics to comment on :) )

Back in Indiana, Stewart rarely, if ever, landed a punch...which was routinely followed up by him being layed out flat. He'd attempt to throw the first punch, which would be ducked, and then it was lights out for Tony :rotfl:

Ross, were you referring to when Robby Gordon grabbed Stewart by the collar at Daytona? I love that. Pause it when it happens, it looks like Tony soils himself :rotfl: Sheer panic in his eyes.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 05 December 2011 - 19:28.

#119 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:40

Yeah, but long time ago. I'd say almost 10 years, because I think Robbeh might have still been Sabates. I was thinking Daytona but thought I was confusing it with the Busch incident.

Advertisement

#120 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 19:37

CUP: Kurt Busch Says He Was Unhappy
Kurt Busch says he was not fired, but left on his own...

Yep, and those are monkeys flying outta my butt.... :rolleyes:

Link

#121 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 19:39

Didn't Kurt once, after a crash, walk out onto track, bend over and point to his own butt to indicate his displeasure?

#122 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,043 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 19:46

Does Penske have someone who can step up and be crew chief for the replacement or are they going to be looking for a driver and a chief ?
As JP says does Bayne have a chance for the seat? He wasn't mentioned but an article on ESPN says Vickers could be considered.. wtf ? surely Penske are not that short of repair/fabrication practice ?
Seems Ragan has been tapping up Penske from the get-go for the ride.

Lake Speed in the 1988 #83. Despite 18 years in cup he never finished higher than 10th and scored only 1 win
Posted Image

#123 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,263 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 19:47

Didn't Kurt once, after a crash, walk out onto track, bend over and point to his own butt to indicate his displeasure?

I'm pretty sure that was when he and Spencer were feuding and he wanted Spencer to kiss him there...

#124 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 20:00

I cant wait for the NASCAR News show on Speed tonight, to see how much spin they put on this pitch.

#125 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 20:17

Lake Speed in the 1988 #83. Despite 18 years in cup he never finished higher than 10th and scored only 1 win
Posted Image

Careful with the judgement. Lake Speed did allright considering he was never in top flight cars. He was with mid-level teams often on the downslide. His one win was at Darlington, and came driving his own car.

Speed also won the Karting World Championship, where he beat a fellow racer who was impressed with Lake. Maybe you've heard of the other racer, Ayrton Senna?

#126 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 4,087 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 20:19

According to SportsCenter on ESPN, Busch was fired after a series of incidents, including one "at the season finale where he made an obscene gesture in the direction of the first lady's motorcade" WTF ESPN? :eek:

#127 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 20:20

Ooooooh...

#128 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,043 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 20:38

Careful with the judgement. Lake Speed did allright considering he was never in top flight cars. He was with mid-level teams often on the downslide. His one win was at Darlington, and came driving his own car.

Speed also won the Karting World Championship, where he beat a fellow racer who was impressed with Lake. Maybe you've heard of the other racer, Ayrton Senna?

No judgement, just the facts. Plenty of others out there who were never in the right place at the right time..

#129 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,609 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 21:17

:o
shame, i quite like the intensity of the bush brothers. probably because i dont have to deal with it, just watch on the side lines :)

#130 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,501 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 21:25

Well here's a thought. The Busch brothers start their own Cup team with themselves as drivers .....

Think NASCAR would consider being a title sponsor for that :D

#131 Juablo

Juablo

• 621 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 22:27

Is this it: around 6 min mark

How about Landon Cassill, he's been impressive this year in an under funded team and can't be much worse than some of the other names being bandied about. Ragan is mediocre imo, only ever shines on the plate tracks. I can't help thinking they should have hung onto Allgaier, with another year in Nationwide and a few cup outings he may have been ready to make the step up.

#132 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 377 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 22:35

You would probably have to kill Roush to get him to let go of Stenhouse or Bayne at this moment.

Ragan is the current front-runner for a one-year-deal. Multiple inquiries have already been made.

Doesn't have much to do with Roush. Those drivers are contracted to Ford. Ford made a huge mistake letting Kasey go to Dodge after they refused his request for a Cup ride (Kasey actually had to repay Ford some money so they would terminate his contract and let him go to Dodge), ever since then they have been determined to not repeat the same mistake.

Anyways, the word around town is that Ford released Ragan from his contract today, so he's likely going to sign a one year deal with Penske. He's a pretty lucky guy, otherwise he would be start n parking in some random Ford.

Edited by montoyasminion, 05 December 2011 - 22:36.

#133 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,043 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 22:47

Yeah Ragan got released, see : http://espn.go.com/r...-opening-penske

Also quotes someone as Penske saying that Hornish has already been ruled out.

#134 John B

John B

• 6,263 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 22:56

Reutimann seems like a reasonable choice, he's a veteran that could complement Keselowski, professional/good with media and was able to win with Waltrip Racing.

Have to assume that Keselowski's rapid advance to contender made this doable for Penske.

In the 2005 incident Busch was benched for the last 2 races of the Chase by Roush after the run in with the Phoenix police, but since he was last and well out of contention anyway not really a big sacrifice (kind of a family theme). To NASCAR's chagin Kyle won that weekend and they didn't allow him to do burnouts - in victory lane he went off on that and defended his brother. Seeing this news I did wonder about Roush grabbing him back though. He was a big part of their team when they had a ton of success from 2003-2005.

Edited by John B, 05 December 2011 - 23:00.

#135 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 23:01

Why no burnouts?

#136 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 23:18

Ahhh, SPEED just showed footage of him giving the finger to the SUV in the paddock which was apparently the Mrs Obama car.

While they were showing it, you saw the vehicle before they mentioned who it was and I immediately thought "wtf is a passenger car doing driving through there with an oncoming race car?" and wasn't surprised Busch made a gesture.

#137 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,022 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 23:51

To be fair, that was after Spencer dumped him at Indy into the entry of the corner. At the time, that was an unheard-of kind of retaliation (and it was a travesty that Spencer wasn't seriously penalized for it).

#138 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,429 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 00:00

I'm sure Kurt is in a pretty bad place right now. I hope he can sort out his anger issues and make a comeback, everybody deserves a chance at redemption.

#139 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 00:24

Wow, it has lined up nicely for Ragan to go to Penske. Touch surprised to see Kurt dumped, but some time off could do him good. However, i don't see him being without a ride next year.

Advertisement

#140 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,697 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 00:32

Anyways, the word around town is that Ford released Ragan from his contract today, so he's likely going to sign a one year deal with Penske. He's a pretty lucky guy, otherwise he would be start n parking in some random Ford.

One year makes sense when taking this into consideration.

http://espn.go.com/r...sprint-cup-goal

Penske wants Hornish back into Cup, but he wants Sammy Sam to gain some confidence heading into a possible return. Run Nationwide in 2012, do well, and get Pennzoil to sign off for a return to Cup as a result.

Wow, it has lined up nicely for Ragan to go to Penske. Touch surprised to see Kurt dumped, but some time off could do him good. However, i don't see him being without a ride next year.

I think it'll be in Kurt's best interests to take a break, maybe run NHRA for fun or something. I'm sure that he will be at Daytona with his Champion Provisional, though.

Edited by Dilla, 06 December 2011 - 00:36.

#141 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 00:42

Is Truck or Nationbusch out of the question?

#142 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 890 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 00:54

I wouldn't rule Cup out for Kurt Busch at all. I highly doubt any of the top teams will take take him. Roush has been there and done that, Hendrick already has too many cars and wouldn't take him anyway, one Busch is enough for Gibbs, and RCR has its hands full with an asshole (Harvick) that berates his team on a weekly basis.

However, Kurt is a past champion and thus has a champ's provisional so he'll make every race next year. I can see 2nd tier teams like Richard Petty Motorsports or Michael Waltrip Racing throwing together a 3rd car knowing they're guaranteed to make the field. The main issue will be finding a sponsor willing to side with Kurt Busch. Waltrip is good with sponsors so he may be able to sell a company on the team so long as Mikey does the PR and Kurt just keeps his mouth shut while keeping the car up front.

For Penske, David Ragan makes the most sense. He's the polar opposite of Busch personality wise. He's got some talent and if he gets the 22, it'll be an upgrade in equipment for Ragan so you could see better results. I'd have Reutimann 2nd on my list, but only for a year.

#143 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,609 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 00:54

depends if he wants to i guess, gotta think he would run up front in those series in nearly any truck/car.

#144 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,609 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 00:59

err didnt ragan drive in the same team as edwards, kensith and biffle this year?. unless rouch fields 2 medicore cars for no reason, ragan is average.

#145 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 890 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:11

err didnt ragan drive in the same team as edwards, kensith and biffle this year?. unless rouch fields 2 medicore cars for no reason, ragan is average.

It's a 4th car though. Despite being on the same team, the cars aren't equal. The pecking order is 99 > 17 > 16 > 6

#146 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,697 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:15

I don't really think Penske cares, I mean Brian Vickers is being considered, Penske is just looking for a short term option while finding a long term guy for 2013+ that will Pennzoil will greenlight.

I betting Hornish or wait for it. . .

*gasp* Matt Kenseth! His contract is supposedly up at Roush after 2012. You heard it here first. :cool:

However, Kurt is a past champion and thus has a champ's provisional so he'll make every race next year. I can see 2nd tier teams like Richard Petty Motorsports or Michael Waltrip Racing throwing together a 3rd car knowing they're guaranteed to make the field. The main issue will be finding a sponsor willing to side with Kurt Busch. Waltrip is good with sponsors so he may be able to sell a company on the team so long as Mikey does the PR and Kurt just keeps his mouth shut while keeping the car up front.

It would be a 4th car for MWR, which I think that they aren't even considering it. Adding one car is hard enough, but two in the same year would be stretching funds.

Edited by Dilla, 06 December 2011 - 01:19.

#147 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:31

Isn't the 3rd MWR car kinda half-schedule?

#148 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:33

25 races for Mark Martin and Waltrip drives in a few.

Edited by Dispenser89, 06 December 2011 - 01:34.

#149 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,824 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:35

Hmm, I didn't think the car was that funded.

#150 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,697 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:38

Aaron's is still sponsoring 30 races next year, they just weren't satisfied with Reutimann.