Photo

NASCAR 2012

• Please log in to reply
2191 replies to this topic

#151 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,266 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:04

I'm sure Kurt is in a pretty bad place right now. I hope he can sort out his anger issues and make a comeback, everybody deserves a chance at redemption.

Ordinarily I'd agree with that sentiment 100%, but the Penske ride was his shot at redemption after the debacle at Rousch.

Advertisement

#152 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,266 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:09

Red Bull 2.0 = JV+KB
Stranger things have happened...

#153 Juablo

Juablo

• 622 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:06

However, Kurt is a past champion and thus has a champ's provisional so he'll make every race next year. I can see 2nd tier teams like Richard Petty Motorsports or Michael Waltrip Racing throwing together a 3rd car knowing they're guaranteed to make the field. The main issue will be finding a sponsor willing to side with Kurt Busch. Waltrip is good with sponsors so he may be able to sell a company on the team so long as Mikey does the PR and Kurt just keeps his mouth shut while keeping the car up front.

Provisionals are limited to 6 per driver so he would have to make the field on time in the other 30 races if he was out of the top 35. I'm not sure if Danica is running the Daytona 500 but if she is, Tony might decide to transfer the 14's owner points to her car to guarantee her a spot in the field. As the most recent champion he could use the provisional if required which could be a problem for Kurt if they both don''t make the show.

RPM are a good shout, I think they were looking into adding a third car for Bowyer earlier in the summer. The Roush affiliation could be a problem as could sponsorship but whoever signs him is guaranteed tv time and exposure at Daytona. Imagine a Busch winning the 500, redemption, a changed man blah blah blah the story writes itself

Edited by Juablo, 06 December 2011 - 03:06.

#154 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,699 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:39

Anybody want to splurge for Christmas to buy Clint Bowyer's famous 2007 Daytona racecar? :lol:

When it comes to finding an unusual Christmas gift for the discriminating NASCAR fan on your shopping list, what about the car that Clint Bowyer flipped on the last lap of the 2007 Daytona 500?

On Tuesday morning at its Welcome, N.C., shop, Richard Childress Racing will be auctioning off Bowyer's wreck -- along with items ranging from pole- and race-winning banners up to and including racing chassis and a transporter. Most of the items are new or slightly used surplus racing parts that RCR doesn't need or can't use anymore, but may find a good home somewhere else.

In addition to what's left of Bowyer's 2007 Daytona 500 ride, the RCR auction features several race-ready Cup chassis formerly driven by Bowyer, Jeff Burton and Robby Gordon, plus race-ready vehicles that meet ARCA and late model stock car specifications. The team is also auctioning off three Chevrolet crew cab dual-wheeled pickups and three show car haulers.

The auction is being conducted by Iron Horse Auction Company of Rockingham, with live and Internet bidding beginning at 10 a.m. ET. Registration at the team's shop begins at 8 a.m. ET. Iron Horse has extensive experience in NASCAR-related equipment auctions over the past three decades, having held similar events for such teams as DiGard, Blue Max, Black Diamond and Holman Moody.

Posted Image

#155 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,431 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:05

Ordinarily I'd agree with that sentiment 100%, but the Penske ride was his shot at redemption after the debacle at Rousch.

So you're only allowed to f#ck up once? C'mon, if that were true we'd all be in serious sh!t.
There's a big lesson here for Kurt, let's hope he learns it.

#156 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,266 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:20

So you're only allowed to f#ck up once? C'mon, if that were true we'd all be in serious sh!t.
There's a big lesson here for Kurt, let's hope he learns it.

Third times a charm, eh.
as for f*cking up, I just ragged to the wife not ten minutes ago how many times I've been getting orders wrong lately, so yeah, I get the point.

#157 John B

John B

• 6,270 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 14:53

Why no burnouts?

Kurt had been pulled over for reckless driving and suspicion of alcohol (there was some funny stuff with the sobriety test stuff supposedly failing), so I guess they weren't thrilled about the idea of little brother doing celebratory burnouts a day later. Tactful as Kyle is, he jumped out of the car for the interview and announcedhow 'NASCAR wouldn't let me do my burnouts, and they forced a great champion out of this race.' :D

#158 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,905 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 15:19

So only Kyle wasn't allowed to celebrate?

I know NASCAR is heavy handed and basically corrupt, but jesus that's absurd.

#159 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 15:47

Is this it: around 6 min mark

That's the one.

To be fair, that was after Spencer dumped him at Indy into the entry of the corner. At the time, that was an unheard-of kind of retaliation (and it was a travesty that Spencer wasn't seriously penalized for it).

Not piling on, just noting.

Advertisement

#160 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,046 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 21:23

Scott Speed getting warm in the #82..
Posted Image

ThorSport have announced they are dropping Chevy for Toyotas in the truck series
Kyle is the best driver to attract sponsors

Thats about all I can see, pretty quiet day.

#161 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,114 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 23:31

I got your Penske driver right here baby...
oh wait...

Jp

#162 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,685 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 23:35

Mike Ford let go as Denny Hamlin's CC today.

#163 nimbus111

nimbus111

• 481 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 00:39

Ahhh, SPEED just showed footage of him giving the finger to the SUV in the paddock which was apparently the Mrs Obama car.

While they were showing it, you saw the vehicle before they mentioned who it was and I immediately thought "wtf is a passenger car doing driving through there with an oncoming race car?" and wasn't surprised Busch made a gesture.

wow thats brave of him to do that, he doesnt know they have cameras in the car? he might wanna consider going international to find a ride. wouldnt mind seeing him try some WRC or maybe some open wheel.

#164 Juablo

Juablo

• 622 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 00:50

Mike Ford let go as Denny Hamlin's CC today.

Penske should look to sign him up for the 22 team. I guess the Ford-Hamlin relationship couldn't recover after Phoenix and losing the title last year.

#165 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,266 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:02

wow
The days are counting down quickly, in fact I'd say news in the shops is dead until next year, rightfully so, NASCAR is a grind.
So silly season must progress...
So here's some other fun stuff.
Owners points final standings,2011.
John Henry, Walter Czarnecki and Tom Pempelly all beat Chip Ganassi big time in owners points.
But they own the 17, 22 and 27 cars.
Never heard of 'em.

Edited by whitewaterMkII, 07 December 2011 - 04:09.

#166 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,699 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:42

John Henry is the 'Fenway' part of the Roush-Fenway Racing; owns the Red Sox and Liverpool F.C.

He is also the co-creator of iRacing which makes it strange to me that iRacing was an occasional sponsor for Jr. Motorsports rather than for one of the RFR cars.

Edited by Dilla, 07 December 2011 - 04:57.

#167 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,024 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:00

Interesting fact: Montoya completed the most miles and laps of any driver this year. I couldn't have guessed that given how his season has run, even though Montoya has been good at that stat for a couple of years now. Now that he got that nailed down, it's time to work on the W stat.

#168 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,905 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:56

Dale Jr plays a lot of iRacing and is a lot more popular, but remember it was Ambrose in the JTG Toyota that had the fulll iRacing livery.

Walter is Mrs Penske, in a business sense.

#169 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 13:07

Interesting fact: Montoya completed the most miles and laps of any driver this year. I couldn't have guessed that given how his season has run, even though Montoya has been good at that stat for a couple of years now. Now that he got that nailed down, it's time to work on the W stat.

Not bad for a driver who's on retirement and "cruise and collect" mode, eh?

He always cares, even if he's three laps down, he always asks who else is on his lap, whether they should try to take a wave to get to be 2 laps down and try to race those cars, etc.

He cares.

#170 John B

John B

• 6,270 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 18:20

I think you also see people's wives or other relatives sometimes listed as car owners, i.e. the Hendrick #25 in the past.

Since getting involved in NASCAR Henry has been promoting it in a region which has generally not been receptive to auto racing. He's had Roush drivers appear on Red Sox broadcasts around the time of the New Hampshire races each season and their cars at Fenway Park, and had a 'inside Roush Fenway Racing' regular TV show on New England Sports Network, the house (and high revenue generating) channel for the Red Sox and Boston Bruins.

Because of his involvement in racing and soccer he sometimes gets criticized by Red Sox fans because they don't spend as much as the rival New York Yankees, in fact I heard this last night when they were talking about overspending at the start of the baseball winter meetings.

#171 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,046 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 21:59

Michael McDowell, can't find the date/track
Posted Image

Grubb should be announcing where he is going by the end of the week, being linked to JGR after Mike Ford was fired from the #11 crew.
Kenseth still has no sponsorship but believes the team will find something before the new season.

#172 Rob G

Rob G

• 10,885 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 00:07

2009 at Gateway

#173 Juablo

Juablo

• 622 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:42

John Henry, Walter Czarnecki and Tom Pempelly all beat Chip Ganassi big time in owners points.

Tom Pumpelly's listed as owner of the 27 because RCR bought his owners points from the 71 team to guarantee Menard a place in the field at Daytona

TRG then got the points from RPM/Yates 98 team

#174 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,024 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:22

Posted Image

Grubb should be announcing where he is going by the end of the week, being linked to JGR after Mike Ford was fired from the #11 crew.
Kenseth still has no sponsorship but believes the team will find something before the new season.

That image could be from any number of races.

#175 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,046 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 18:49

Sorrt that last pic was a bit big..

TRG Motorsports have said they could be interested in Kurt driving for them next year, they didn't renew Cassill so are free to pick.

Would Kurt go there ?

#176 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,699 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 18:54

Red Bull closed today. One of the pit crews were absorbed by the new Michael Waltrip/Clint Bowyer team.

Kevin Buckler of TRG hopes to set up a meeting and have a 'sit-down' with Kurt Busch. Maybe when Kurt gets desperate but not anytime soon I would imagine.

Posted Image

Jimmy Horton wrecking at Pocono.

#177 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,507 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 18:54

How much choice does he have?

It doesn't seem he can choose and pick between drives for next year and no top teams seems to be line up for him so he probably might be happy if he has an option at all.

#178 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 18:55

Sorrt that last pic was a bit big..

TRG Motorsports have said they could be interested in Kurt driving for them next year, they didn't renew Cassill so are free to pick.

Would Kurt go there ?

Kurt should do IRL or Nationwide, work on himself (remember he's going through a divorce), come back strong in Cup for 2013.

#179 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,699 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 18:58

Front Row has also stated that if he shows interest in them that they would be interested in return.

If Kurt goes to another series, it'll be NHRA as he has run in that series for fun and has legitimate interest in it.

http://www.dailynews...rce=most_viewed

Edited by Dilla, 08 December 2011 - 19:00.

Advertisement

#180 John B

John B

• 6,270 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 19:12

Red Bull closed today. One of the pit crews were absorbed by the new Michael Waltrip/Clint Bowyer team.

Kevin Buckler of TRG hopes to set up a meeting and have a 'sit-down' with Kurt Busch. Maybe when Kurt gets desperate but not anytime soon I would imagine.

Posted Image

One only hopes that wasn't the safety team to the right......

#181 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,046 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 19:22

:lol: great pic though! The photographer shown is on the ball ! The other guys must be talking about something more important!

Didn't know Kurt had run in NHRA, he ran pro stock from what I can find on the web.
I wonder would he find a team/sponsors at relatively short notice ? maybe he'd run a part season and self fund some of it ? maybe doubling up driving in trucks/nationwide sometimes, he and Kyle sharing the KBM truck ?

Either way, its a long way from winning the title in 2004 isn't it.

#182 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,905 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 20:27

We need more race tracks with hores on the infield.

Go Go Texas GP 2012!

#183 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,699 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 20:42

4 years with the current DuPont scheme; which means new livery for the #24 team (when he runs DuPont):

Posted Image

Aaron's with new simplified livery as well:

Posted Image

#184 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,507 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 20:51

We need more race tracks with hores on the infield.

Go Go Texas GP 2012!

I'm trying to figure out if you left out a w or an s ...

#185 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,905 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 20:53

That's the Mark Martin car?

I was fine with the original DuPont livery, it was distinctive.

#186 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,699 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 21:05

You mean back when him and his crew were known as the the "Rainbow Warriors"?

Posted Image

Yeah, that was pretty distinctive.

#187 John B

John B

• 6,270 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 21:51

One of my favorite racing schemes, and a demonstration that simplicity isn't that bad compared to some of the recent efforts, was the dark blue Busch series car Gordon ran occasionally in the 1990s:

http://www.jayski.co...gn/24peptnn.jpg

#188 rmac923

rmac923

• 433 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 21:56

Red Bull Racing Shuts Down

Ouch, I would've thought with semi-decent equipment (and Kahne's win), someone would buy the team. Without sponsorship though, money would dry up quickly.

Edited by rmac923, 08 December 2011 - 21:57.

#189 Cynic2

Cynic2

• 220 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 23:50

It's the ambulance and attendants. "You boys don't get hurt out there . . . . "

(So was it an improvement when more than one short track used a hearse from the local undertaker as the track ambulance?)

#190 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 892 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:27

Gordon's new colors are ok, but I really like that 55. It's simple but it works

#191 Andrew Hope

Andrew Hope
  • Writer of 2013's Best Opening Post

• 6,932 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:51

It's the ambulance and attendants. "You boys don't get hurt out there . . . . "

(So was it an improvement when more than one short track used a hearse from the local undertaker as the track ambulance?)

This is a bit off topic but even though I know I would be reasonably fearless if I was a racing driver, and at no point in three years of karting and seeing fires and broken legs and God knows what else was I ever scared, I know deep down in my heart that racing at smalltown short tracks would scare the shit out of me. Small towns themselves already do. I'm sure the average dirt oval or half-mile track now is probably alright but whenever I find myself on Youtube watching any short track racing from the 90s or earlier I always end up feeling uncomfortable. Sprint cars, midgets, modifieds, cars, doesn't matter. I always think how I'd spend half the race chasing the leader and half the race wondering just how appalling the fire crews and the safety teams are. As I say, I'm sure generally it's not too bad these days, but even then you don't have to look far on Youtube to find some video taken from the stands that embarrasses modern sensibilities and then you find out it was recorded in the summer of 2010 or something.

#192 Dispenser89

Dispenser89

• 3,460 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:11

Gordon's new colors are ok, but I really like that 55. It's simple but it works

Yeah, that 55 livery looks great. Very clean, but effective.

#193 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 762 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:19

Posted Image

Wow that looks like an ex Junie Donlavey #90 Chameleon sunglasses t-bird with the white front and blue back half

#194 Crafty

Crafty

• 4,046 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 14:06

Sneaking in early with countdown pic, out of town this weekend.. may have net access so keep posting!

Frank Warren
Posted Image

#195 Juablo

Juablo

• 622 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 19:11

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96703

Grubb in at JGR. By employing the championship winning crew chief, the expectation for next season must have been raised. With his recent off track problems I wonder if Hamlin can live up to the increased pressure.

#196 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 19:11

Montoya's 2011 review:

Edited by OfficeLinebacker, 09 December 2011 - 19:22.

#197 Juablo

Juablo

• 622 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 20:12

http://espn.go.com/r...y...ch

Busch talking to Phoenix Racing, and its looking likely that Ragan will be in the 22

#198 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 892 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:16

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/96703

Grubb in at JGR. By employing the championship winning crew chief, the expectation for next season must have been raised. With his recent off track problems I wonder if Hamlin can live up to the increased pressure.

What off the track problems has Hamlin had? I must have missed it

#199 Juablo

Juablo

• 622 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:57

He's been seeing a psychologist because he couldn't get over losing the title last year

http://espn.go.com/r...help-pull-slump

I think the revelation may give some of his rivals an edge in the mindgames stakes if he challenges for the title in the future. Look at the pressure Stewart applied to Carl in the press during the chase. Methinks if it were Hamlin on the recieving end he might not have handled it as well.

Advertisement

#200 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,170 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:16

if anyone should turn to a psychologist, it is Kurt Busch (and his brother too)