• 57,283 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:04

Rear exhausts is one way to fix tandem drafts :lol:

Advertisement

#2002 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,481 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:12

Here's a story about the new-look 2013 cars. Includes a big photo gallery with the Talladega test and virtually all the photos of the 2013 cars released over the past year or so. Even the Dodge is included for comparative purposes.

The new-look 2013 NASCAR racers test at Talladega | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

#2003 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:34

*squints*

The 12? Is that coming back or is the test team or?

They look better than CoT so far but the final verdict is always in the paintjobs. The Ford and Dodge Nationwide cars are still the top of the pile though.

Btw this and the DeltaWing video have really made your website stand-out. I was surprised at how much I had to look for decent test images, even NASCAR.com didn't have anything last night.

#2004 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,481 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:51

*squints*

The 12? Is that coming back or is the test team or?

They look better than CoT so far but the final verdict is always in the paintjobs. The Ford and Dodge Nationwide cars are still the top of the pile though.

Btw this and the DeltaWing video have really made your website stand-out. I was surprised at how much I had to look for decent test images, even NASCAR.com didn't have anything last night.

Thanks, I appreciate the compliment.

Part of it is we are not going to do the running-in-place or boilerplate stuff on NASCAR or any other series. If there is nothing terribly interesting to say about say, NASCAR in a given week, then we pass and do something else -- because there is always lots of something else to do. We're not limited to one area, we can take right off the top from the whole wide world of automobiles. All killer, no filler.

The downside of all that is that if you need to know who finished 17th at Dover, you'll have to go somewhere else. And there are plenty of places to get that info.

I don't know what the 12 on the Penske car is about. Maybe they knew Hornish would be driving so they used a different number. Maybe that's his number on a limited sked next year? Let's start a rumor.

#2005 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,491 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:05

They certain will look better than the current cars.

The Ford looks all sleek as you follow the lines rearward and then you get to the near vertical spoiler plate, and it looks odd. At least to my eyes. Looks more out of place than it used to a few years ago.

#2006 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:13

Are they in different configurations, because the 15/Toyota has the side spoiler running down the trunk.

#2007 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,491 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:44

Are they in different configurations, because the 15/Toyota has the side spoiler running down the trunk.

I don't think it is Ross. Maybe a panel line makes it look that way?

#2008 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,716 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:02

Kyle let's Toyota have it, and they're not happy.

Toyota not happy with Kyle Busch's Dover comments: After leading - by far - the most laps in Sunday's AAA 400 at Dover International Speedway, #18Kyle Busch was forced to make a late pit stop under green flag conditions in order to make it to the end of the race. The stop cost him the win and he finished seventh, one lap down. Only six cars, including winner Brad Keselowski, finished on the lead lap. As he crossed the finish line, Busch let loose a short, vulgarity-laced tirade over his team radio directed at Toyota Racing Development, claiming the in-house tuning shop for all Toyota cars had cost him and his No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing team "another one." On Wednesday, Lee White, TRD president, took issue with Busch's comments. "We're as frustrated as he was that he didn't win that race considering how many laps he led, considering he and Denny (Hamlin) both literally dominated the race. We're as disappointed as he was. However, we've got used to saying 'That's just Kyle, you know' But this is a bit of a special case," White said. "We're extremely disappointed in his negative comments and the tone of the comments after the event. It is under discussion as we move forward. We certainly are very disappointed, having said that, Kyle is an amazing talent in a race car and he takes it very personally when something goes wrong and he loses a race he thinks he should have won. I look forward to take it up with coach (Joe) Gibbs and see if we can't do something to sort it out so that we have a better working relationship in the future. I am confident that we will."(Charlotte Observer)(10-4-2012)

#2009 Juablo

Juablo

• 623 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:17

I don't think it is Ross. Maybe a panel line makes it look that way?

They're all running the sharkfin, only difference is that it's painted on the #15 and transparent on the other cars:
Posted Image

Better view on Truex's launch car:
Posted Image

I have to say the clear version looks a lot better.

#2010 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:26

Who knew about Kyle's comments before Toyota responded?

#2011 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,491 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:57

Weren't Gibbs'own motors blowing up left, right and centre last season?

#2012 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 14:58

I did but I glossed over it as a "Kyle being Kyle" moment.

#2013 Option1

Option1

• 13,221 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:23

Hate that "Coach Gibbs" thing. Just grates.

Neil

#2014 the9th

the9th

• 1,544 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:46

It's not exactly Toyota. It's TRD. There's a slight difference there, I guess.

#2015 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 16:50

The 2013 cars look very nice, it's amazing, it's like they're actually trying to make the cars look different and closer to their model counterparts. This might just make me watch NASCAR much more often.

#2016 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:04

The 2013 cars look very nice, it's amazing, it's like they're actually trying to make the cars look different and closer to their model counterparts. This might just make me watch NASCAR much more often.

There was a call from the manufacturers to do just this. I think the Fusion has actual grill-bars. (Ford will sponsor debris-cautions next year :p )
It's a shame Dodge wont be a part of it, that 2013 Concept was mighty.

Like Dilla, I'm waiting for the Commodore Chevy SS release.

#2017 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:10

Posted Image

Wow. That's a mean mutha.

And look at the rear guards! What's going on with the DTM arches :p

Edited by gm914, 04 October 2012 - 17:12.

#2018 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:19

There was a call from the manufacturers to do just this. I think the Fusion has actual grill-bars. (Ford will sponsor debris-cautions next year :p )
It's a shame Dodge wont be a part of it, that 2013 Concept was mighty.

Like Dilla, I'm waiting for the Commodore Chevy SS release.

Ah, no more Dodge? That's a shame, just had a flick through of their concept, looked really nice. I do hope that these relaxed visualisation rules will eventually bring in someone else though, not sure who.

#2019 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 17:36

Ah, no more Dodge? That's a shame, just had a flick through of their concept, looked really nice. I do hope that these relaxed visualisation rules will eventually bring in someone else though, not sure who.

Posted Image

One minute's silence please.

Advertisement

#2020 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:35

Posted Image

One minute's silence please.

Posted Image

#2021 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,311 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:16

Posted Image

that looks waaay more like a no holds barred racecar.
The COT looks like a brick next to that beauty.

#2022 Option1

Option1

• 13,221 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 19:29

Posted Image

Suspect the rear guards only look like that because there's no rear bodywork on that example.

Neil

#2023 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 909 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 23:49

LOL at the women in the Truex photo hiding from the camera.

And the #12 has been used by Penske as a test team since he stopped using it in Cup a couple of years ago. I guess he's just continuing the practice with his new Fords.

Ford and Dodge (even though its defunct now) have the best looking 2013 cars imo. They have the best looking Nationwide cars as well. Whoever is in their aero departments get a big pat on the back from me. They did a great job making the cars look as close to the actual street cars while staying in NASCAR's very tight box of regulations.

Also, that 15 car is a good example of why MWR has no trouble with sponsors while other teams are. Even during a test, Mikey has his cars running a full scheme. You've got to hand it to him. He goes 100% to get his sponsors out there.

Edited by nosaj100, 04 October 2012 - 23:53.

#2024 Juablo

Juablo

• 623 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 00:40

Also, that 15 car is a good example of why MWR has no trouble with sponsors while other teams are. Even during a test, Mikey has his cars running a full scheme. You've got to hand it to him. He goes 100% to get his sponsors out there.

To be fair to the Chevy guys, they're being forced to run in the camo scheme because the production version of the car hasn't been launched yet.

#2025 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,716 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:29

Bass Pro Shops to leave Ganassi for Stewart.

http://blogs.news-le...ss-pro-team-up/

AARP extends with Gordon.

http://espn.go.com/r...p;source=JAYSKI

Edited by Dilla, 05 October 2012 - 01:31.

#2026 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,043 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:15

Ganassi seems to be circling the drain.

#2027 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:06

Well, he already ran SABCO (a team that should've won the title with Marlin before he broke his back) into the ground and had to "partner" with DEI. Now he's run that into the ground as well.

#2028 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,043 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:14

Seriously, this year has been such a disaster for them. Pretty much every race his two cars were the last in class. Anyone behind them either had a very bad day, barely scraped by, or started and parked.

#2029 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:56

Let's be fair though. SABCO and DEI were a little further up the grid when the grid was a little less competitive. Ganassi are missing 'something' but I don't know what. They should be roughly Petty level given their size/resources/etc.

Bass Pro is a legacy DEI sponsorship but with the sponsorships they also do with Ryan Newman(Stewart's team) and the Dillons at RCR, it doesn't surprise me or really say anything about Ganassi that they went with Stewart.

#2030 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:58

Oh HELL yes.

Ryan Newman is going to be in a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles paintjob this weekend. I'm not a fan or anything but that has the potential to be amusing.

#2031 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,481 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:46

Well, he already ran SABCO (a team that should've won the title with Marlin before he broke his back) into the ground and had to "partner" with DEI. Now he's run that into the ground as well.

Felix outspent even Hendrick and still got his ass handed to him. The operation was a joke within NASCAR, a money-burning machine. That's why he sold out to Ganassi and became minority owner, to get some effective management.

EGR is having a horrible season this year, but overall Ganassi's track record is superior to SABCO's, and against far superior competition. (Go to http://racing-reference.info/ and look.) Nobody would be more amused by your assessment than Felix himself. The SABCO of the 90s couldn't cut it as a Nationwide team today.

The main problem at EGR this year is the lack of a development driver.

#2032 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,283 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:10

You mean like a testing driver or racer who can help with development? Rather than an 18 year old in Nationwide?

#2033 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:15

By "development driver" you mean a driver that gives feedback and direction as far as how to develop the car, yes?

#2034 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,481 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:23

You mean like a testing driver or racer who can help with development? Rather than an 18 year old in Nationwide?

Correct.

#2035 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:46

Felix outspent even Hendrick and still got his ass handed to him. The operation was a joke within NASCAR, a money-burning machine. That's why he sold out to Ganassi and became minority owner, to get some effective management.

EGR is having a horrible season this year, but overall Ganassi's track record is superior to SABCO's, and against far superior competition. (Go to http://racing-reference.info/ and look.) Nobody would be more amused by your assessment than Felix himself. The SABCO of the 90s couldn't cut it as a Nationwide team today.

I wasn't talking about the 90's. I'm not talking about the times when Kyle was riding around in one car and Kenny Wallace was in the other. I'm talking about 2001, the year Ganassi bought Felix out and Sterling finished 3rd in points. 2002, Marlin led the points for much of the year. Everything's gone downhill since then. I don't see how you can argue against that.

#2036 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,481 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 13:54

I wasn't talking about the 90's. I'm not talking about the times when Kyle was riding around in one car and Kenny Wallace was in the other. I'm talking about 2001, the year Ganassi bought Felix out and Sterling finished 3rd in points. 2002, Marlin led the points for much of the year. Everything's gone downhill since then. I don't see how you can argue against that.

Yes, the team was owned by Ganassi then, so what is your point?

#2037 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 16:47

Well, the point is that Ganassi bought into it at the top, and in the space of 7 years, they went from title contenders, to 6 feet under.

When Jamie won his second race at Charlotte, Ganassi went 5 years before he won another, with Montoya at Sonoma. That was also the last win for that version of Ganassi's Cup operation.

Ganassi hasn't had a top 10 finish in points, since Sterling in 01.

He's made business moves such as, putting Sorenson and Stremme in Cup, way before they were ready. And losing the Coors sponsorship as a result.

"That's why he sold out to Ganassi and became minority owner, to get some effective management."

Ganassi effectively managed that team into the ground.

#2038 Juablo

Juablo

• 623 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 17:53

Montoya finished 8th in '09

#2039 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 378 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 18:07

Got me there, I've just gotten so used to watching him finish 20th every week. :)

Advertisement

#2040 Juablo

Juablo

• 623 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 18:47

Got me there, I've just gotten so used to watching him finish 20th every week. :)

20th would be a good run at the moment :|

#2041 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 18:59

No official 'Dega-thread yet?

#2042 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 20:12

Oh dear... no Montreal Nationwide race in 2013. http://www.rds.ca/na...ues/348994.html (French link)

Apparently the promoter asked to have the race later in the year and on Sunday, NASCAR wouldn't/couldn't accommodate it. It's also said that the plan from the onset was to have a Cup race, and since that wasn't happening in the foreseeable future, then that was it.

Also says he's looking at getting a DTM race instead.

I didn't see that one coming TBH..

----

link in english: http://www.tsn.ca/au...tory/?id=406823

funny the Octane bankruptcy isn't mentioned in french media at all, even since it was reported more than two weeks ago for the canned Edmonton event, again only in english media.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 05 October 2012 - 20:23.

#2043 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,739 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 20:20

ganassi lost ben bolby? to the delta wing project, plus anyone else who went with him
think that had a effect

#2044 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,481 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 23:33

Well, the point is that Ganassi bought into it at the top, and in the space of 7 years, they went from title contenders, to 6 feet under.

When Jamie won his second race at Charlotte, Ganassi went 5 years before he won another, with Montoya at Sonoma. That was also the last win for that version of Ganassi's Cup operation.

He's made business moves such as, putting Sorenson and Stremme in Cup, way before they were ready. And losing the Coors sponsorship as a result.

"That's why he sold out to Ganassi and became minority owner, to get some effective management."

Ganassi effectively managed that team into the ground.

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

#2045 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,043 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 23:52

Ganassi's troubles in a way highlight another problem in NASCAR. They are pretty much last on the list of teams who are attempting to truly compete, and yet they're still up in 25th place or so, out of 43. What the hell is going on below them? Will NASCAR have to cull the number of spots at some point? For how long can we have teams living by starting and parking?

#2046 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,748 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 00:12

Ganassi's troubles in a way highlight another problem in NASCAR. They are pretty much last on the list of teams who are attempting to truly compete, and yet they're still up in 25th place or so, out of 43. What the hell is going on below them? Will NASCAR have to cull the number of spots at some point? For how long can we have teams living by starting and parking?

I don't really see the problem. Of course, 43 starters and... 10 S&P looks bad. But 33 starters, more money for the one that starts, will make it even harder to get in to NASCAR... Still not that big problem imo.

#2047 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,716 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 00:41

No more Montreal.

Eh, Ron Fellows has been trying to get a NASCAR event (not counting CTS) at Mosport since he bought it. . . this is his chance.

9am on Sunday morning? WTF?

Edited by Dilla, 06 October 2012 - 00:56.

#2048 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,491 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:10

V8s are going to the COTA May 17-19 next year. Maybe a chance to add Montreal?

#2049 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:56

9am on Sunday morning? WTF?

That's how he packs up the place with F1.. not sure about 9 AM myself, but I don't think the precise hour in the issue.

I saw a TV interview with the guy tonight and he's really pissed off.. from what I can gather NASCAR really led him to believe a Cup race was on the cards, and they recently backtracked on that..

He asked NASCAR to have a normal weekend with the race on Sunday, NASCAR said no.

He asked to have the Cup race that is on the same weekend to be geographically nearer to Montreal so he could have more Cup drivers racing on Saturday, NASCAR said no.

Attendance was down 20% on last year and the race never made a profit. Also the company that's bankrupt (Edmonton Indy) isn't the same as the one who does F1 and NASCAR, I learned that in that interview.

-----

All in all I think NASCAR were stupid to take the guy for a fool, good luck having that kind of crowd and vibe at the Mosport oval, or at Mid-Ohio, or Road Atlanta.

He mentioned DTM but that's never gonna happen, Indycar on the other hand, I'd pay for that... F*ck NASCAR.

V8s are going to the COTA May 17-19 next year. Maybe a chance to add Montreal?

Too close to the F1 GP I think, it would only make sense if it was at the end of summer.. and they certainly wont travel that far with the cars twice.

Edited by Slowinfastout, 06 October 2012 - 01:59.

#2050 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,311 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:31

Well looking back at it, Montreal can just get added the long, long list of NASCAR races has done a hit and run at.