Photo

NASCAR 2012

• Please log in to reply
2191 replies to this topic

#2051 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:12

Montreal has had a Busch/Nationwide date since 2007. By around 2010 at the latest, Octane should have figured out that if they didn't have a Cup date by then, there wasn't going to be one.

Montreal could have gotten a Cup date if the Frances had been able to unload Watkins Glen as they have been trying to do for 25 years, but obviously that never happened. Just as obviously, there is no way NASCAR was going to schedule Cup road races at both Watkins Glen and Montreal. That was never going to happen.

These Octane people are somewhat baffling. They appear to be highly capable at organizing and promoting race events in a first-rate way -- but they totally suck in the strategic department, it would seem, if this case is any indication.

Advertisement

#2052 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:16

All in all I think NASCAR were stupid to take the guy for a fool, good luck having that kind of crowd and vibe at the Mosport oval, or at Mid-Ohio, or Road Atlanta.

Right, he sure taught them a lesson.

#2053 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:01

There was really no guarantee that the Cup race would have been as popular as the NW date. At NW, owners put enough one-off Canadian drivers in good seats to attract fans. In Cup, no one in the good drives would have been taken out the car to put a Canadian native in for one race only. It smelled like a flop waiting to happen to me.

Even so, maybe NASCAR did juggle the idea of putting a Cup date at Montreal, but any small chance was killed the moment NASCAR acquired ownership of Road Atlanta and Sebring with the GRAND-AM/ALMS merger (imo).

#2054 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:32

There was really no guarantee that the Cup race would have been as popular as the NW date. At NW, owners put enough one-off Canadian drivers in good seats to attract fans. In Cup, no one in the good drives would have been taken out the car to put a Canadian native in for one race only. It smelled like a flop waiting to happen to me.

Even so, maybe NASCAR did juggle the idea of putting a Cup date at Montreal, but any small chance was killed the moment NASCAR acquired ownership of Road Atlanta and Sebring with the GRAND-AM/ALMS merger (imo).

Very good point -- the Canadian guest stars were key to making the Nationwide race draw well.

However, Sprint Cup wouldn't need them in Montreal. NASCAR is huge in Canada. The Michigan, Watkins Glen, and Loudon Cup races draw big numbers in from Canuckistan. Not to be a dick, but I do believe Cup would outdraw F1 in Montreal.

Edited by Magoo, 06 October 2012 - 13:33.

#2055 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,085 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:43

I don't really see the problem. Of course, 43 starters and... 10 S&P looks bad. But 33 starters, more money for the one that starts, will make it even harder to get in to NASCAR... Still not that big problem imo.

One problem is that you're leaking prize money. Even the last 10 places pay good money, but you're paying that money to people who don't add anything to the show. You may as well take that money and award it to teams who try to compete.

#2056 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 914 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 23:49

NASCAR is going back to old style qualifying next year:

From Jayski:

NASCAR planning multiple changes to qualifying in 2013: NASCAR is going back in time with a series of changes related to qualifying and testing. Series officials met with Sprint Cup drivers and crew chiefs Saturday at Talladega Superspeedway to detail next year's changes. They are:
--The top 35 rule, in existence since 2005, will be eliminated. This rule was in place to ensure teams in the top 35 in car owner points (and their sponsors) would be in the race in an era when 50 or more cars were attempting to qualify for races.
--The top 36 positions will be set by qualifying speed with the remaining spots set by provisionals, including a champion's provisional. Provisionals are based on car owner points rankings.
--A random draw will set the qualifying order. The past two seasons, the order was determined by speeds in the first practice session.
--Provisionals for the first three races next year will be based on the final car owner points standings this year instead of the first five races as in previous years.
--Each organization can test at four tracks of its choosing next season where NASCAR competes, the first time teams can do so since 2008. The series' sanctioning body banned testing in 2009, and since then teams could not test at tracks where NASCAR held races, but they could test on other tracks.
Robin Pemberton, NASCAR vice president of competition, said the previous formats "served a purpose when we were doing other things, (but) we don't do those anymore," such as reducing the weekend schedule at an event. Series officials plan to have a practice and qualifying session Fridays and a final practice session Saturdays on weekends the Cup series races on Sundays next season. Should a driver need a provisional or multiple provisionals next year, there won't be a limit. NASCAR, however, plans to limit how a driver can use the champion's provisional. "You can't just show up'' and use a champion's provisional, Pemberton said.
As for testing, Pemberton said that each organization -- Hendrick Motorsports, Roush Fenway Racing, Joe Gibbs Racing --can bring two cars per driver. Thus, all four Hendrick drivers could test together and it would count as one test. The difference is that if a track will have a new tire, teams can't test with that tire unless it has been used at another track

I've never liked the Top 35 rule so I'm glad its over. I don't like the fact that there's no limit on provisionals. There needs to be a cap. I'm not sure I like the testing rules either. I like that they opened it back up but I think it's a little unfair towards smaller teams. Though truthfully, its not like it will change the disparity much from what it is now

#2057 montoyasminion

montoyasminion

• 380 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:42

Whatever you need to tell yourself.

I know, facts and logic clearly don't work. :cry:

#2058 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:33

NASCAR is going back to old style qualifying next year:

From Jayski:

I've never liked the Top 35 rule so I'm glad its over. I don't like the fact that there's no limit on provisionals. There needs to be a cap. I'm not sure I like the testing rules either. I like that they opened it back up but I think it's a little unfair towards smaller teams. Though truthfully, its not like it will change the disparity much from what it is now

Agreed on disapproval of no limits on provisionals. At some point there needs to be a back to the wall moment if a team can't get it together in qualifying.

I'm hoping that the smaller teams can tag along with larger teams for testing to share expenses of renting out the track and hiring medical personnel and whatever other costs there are--have a Sunoco fuel rig there?

#2059 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 779 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:26

It's a start in the correct direction ,

I would have the top 40 qualify on speed with 3 provisionals ( NO former champ provisional which has truely been abused since it was created)

Get rid of the Chase and the lucky dog next.

Advertisement

#2060 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:54

We need the chase, otherwise we'd have stopped watching in early August.

#2061 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,534 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:56

Why so?

Wouldn't it still be close in the championship without the Chase?

Last year it would have probably have been all over, not so this year.

#2062 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:51

Because you get the mid-summer who will make it/who wont stories. Then you get 2 races of 12 guys being in it, then less than 10, then 5, etc.

#2063 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,811 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:16

One problem is that you're leaking prize money. Even the last 10 places pay good money, but you're paying that money to people who don't add anything to the show. You may as well take that money and award it to teams who try to compete.

And as I said, it will make it a bigger difference, and harder to get in. It won't get any better.

#2064 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,504 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 16:20

I know, facts and logic clearly don't work. :cry:

Sure. Ganassi is responsible for the bad seasons but not for the good ones. That's perfectly logical.

#2065 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 914 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 23:40

I don't think it matters as long as the NFL has its season

#2066 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 3,534 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:42

Because you get the mid-summer who will make it/who wont stories. Then you get 2 races of 12 guys being in it, then less than 10, then 5, etc.

Is that something that NASCAR needs? Is it so without appeal without that?

Or does this show the season to be too long?

#2067 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:39

Mainly that 36 races is too many.

#2068 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:39

WANTED

One(1) experienced and quick Cup-level driver. Top line ride. Charlotte and Kansas. Must not be affiliated with other manufacturers.

Go!

Though Danica would work...

#2069 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,000 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:44

WANTED

One(1) experienced and quick Cup-level driver. Top line ride. Charlotte and Kansas. Must not be affiliated with other manufacturers.

Go!

Though Danica would work...

@MartySmithESPN

Dale Earnhardt Jr will NOT race at Charlotte or Kansas, Hendrick announces. Regan Smith will sub in No. 88.

#2070 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:46

Woah!

#2071 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:49

Regan is the sensible choice, but I was hoping for something more entertaining.

#2072 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:03

Reasons given?

#2073 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:05

Concussion? I guess from Talladega

#2074 Juablo

Juablo

• 625 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 13:09

So the 51 needs a driver as well. Allmendinger was hanging around the garages at Talladega and apparently spoke to Finch, could be a lucky break for him.

#2075 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 14:28

Errr...

Apparently Dale got his concussion August 29th during a tire test? Wtf?

<edit>

My bad, apparently he had one from then too. So this is his second in two months. So extra wtf.

Edited by Ross Stonefeld, 11 October 2012 - 14:29.

#2076 John B

John B

• 6,309 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 18:21

There haven't been many instances of drivers missing races post 2001...hard to think of others apart from Vickers, and there haven't been as many relief drivering appearances as in the old days.

#2077 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,336 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:20

Even knowing the risks, Earnhardt teammate Jeff Gordon said he wouldn't tell anyone about his symptoms if he were racing for a championship in one of the final races. Drivers would rather try to hide their injury and tough it out than admit a problem.
"Honestly, I hate to say this, but I wouldn't (admit it)," he said. "If I have a shot at the championship and there are two races to go and my head is hurting and I just came through a wreck...I'm not going to say anything. I'm sorry. That's the competitor in me and many other guys.
"That's to a fault. That's not the way it should be, but it's something most of us would do. I think that's what gets a lot of us in trouble."

Nuff said.
I'm glad this is starting to surface. Back in my bad old days I was a pretty serious pool skater and rung my bell repeatedly. once I wasn't right at all for at least a week. Time lost all comprehension for me.
That these guys are admitting they are getting hammered, and won't say anything is kinda scary, and not just that they can incur permanent hurt, but also that someone on the track is at risk because *they* are not 100%
Concussions are serious stuff. The cars may be safe as shit, HANS has undoubtedly added additional safety, but nonetheless these guys are still getting banged up big time inside the cocoon.

#2078 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,798 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:31

yep, in some ways i wonder if hans has made concusions more likely as it limits head movement, but u get less whiplash i guess.

i think they need G meters on the seat/helmet and if it get pinged at a certain level its investigated, as right now i think the rule is just if you cant make it back under your own power u go to medical center.... which means u can have a hard hit and continue.

jr would of droned around in his car if the wreck was on lap 30 for example...

#2079 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:06

Really has been slow in terms of NASCAR news:

New Jersey Motorsports Park interested in Nationwide race: The NASCAR Nationwide Series appears to have an opening on next year's schedule for a road course. Why not New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville? That's the question on the mind of NJMP general manager Brad Scott, who spoke via telephone Monday from the AMA Pro Road Racing awards banquet in New Orleans before flying back to New Jersey on Tuesday. "Once I get back into town, one of my immediate goals is going to be to really get aggressive and at least throw out name in the hat," Scott said. "If there's an opportunity to host something like that, we'd love to." The opportunity could be there because Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve last week ended its six-year relationship with the Nationwide Series. That road-course race had been run independently of the Sprint Cup Series. Nationwide Series official Amanda Ellis said by phone Tuesday that she could not comment in detail on next year's schedule, which she said likely will be released in a few weeks. "We constantly have conversations with promoters who are interested in having a NASCAR Nationwide Series event at their track," Ellis said. Working against NJMP is the fact that there are several other tracks that offer similar benefits, including one  Road Atlanta  in which NASCAR has an ownership stake. Road Atlanta is owned by the American Le Mans Series, which last month merged with the NASCAR-owned Grand-Am Road Racing Series. "We just kind of got wind of it last week that Nationwide was looking, with the termination of the contract with Montreal, that they were considering running on (another) road course," Scott said. "Mid-Ohio and other tracks apparently have been contacted, but we have been known to get aggressive and go after them ourselves, so that's what we plan to do." NJMP has hosted several major racing series, including Grand-Am and AMA, in its five-year history. But Nationwide, NASCAR's second-tier stock-car racing series, would be the highest-profile race ever for the park. The track does have a history of hosting stock-car races as the Automobile Racing Club of America (ARCA) has come to Millville the last five years.(Press pf Atlantic City)(10-14-2012)

Also, Allmendinger expects to be back in the 51 at Kansas.

Advertisement

#2080 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:24

Fox extends with NASCAR through 2022.

The deal includes the live streaming, 13 Sprint Cup races, and the entire Truck Series to be aired on the new FOX Sports One channel. The other channels bidding for races (ESPN, TNT, CBS, NBC) won't start until next summer.

-------------------------

The acquisition of Sprint by SoftBank, a Japanese telecommunication company, is not expected to effect the current NASCAR/Sprint relationship.

#2081 whitewaterMkII

whitewaterMkII

• 5,336 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:46

Fox extends with NASCAR through 2022.

The deal includes the live streaming, 13 Sprint Cup races, and the entire Truck Series to be aired on the new FOX Sports One channel. The other channels bidding for races (ESPN, TNT, CBS, NBC) won't start until next summer.

-------------------------

The acquisition of Sprint by SoftBank, a Japanese telecommunication company, is not expected to effect the current NASCAR/Sprint relationship.

Dig it, great for me, Fox is nearly bulletproof on my feeds...
Speed and NBC own F1 here in the US year to year, I'd love to see Fox pick up F1, it's not like the US time slot in the US for those races is worth any money (ahem, Bernie, you can't get quantum dollars in the US with your time schedule, never will, hook up with a huge exposure network and hope for the best)

As for the Sprint deal I'll have to defer to OLB on the cel biz.
We're heading to euroland in a few days and I'm keeping T-Mobile only to run Deutsche Telecom while there. I'll be switching to Sprint and some new droid as soon as I'm back, T-Mobile drops calls here in the desert walking from the living room to the front porch.

#2082 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:43

NASCAR competition changes in 2013:

Qualifying Format In The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series:
In NASCAR Sprint Cup competition, the series will move to a 36-6-1 format where the fastest 36 cars will make the race on speed. The next six highest ranking cars in owners points that have not already earned a starting position through qualifying and who have entered the event by the posted entry deadline will also make the field. The final starting position will be awarded to the most recent eligible past champion driver. If there is no eligible past champion driver, then a seventh car will make the field based upon owners' points. Provisional positions in the 36-6-1 format will be lined up by owners' points, not speed.

In 2013, the qualifying order for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series events will return to a random draw. However, in the event qualifying is canceled due to rain, the field will be set per the rule book and the starting lineup will continue to be determined by practice speeds.

Additionally, provisional positions in the NASCAR Sprint Cup, NASCAR Nationwide and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will be based upon the previous year's owner points for the first three races, as opposed to the first five races in previous years for the NASCAR Sprint Cup and the NASCAR Nationwide Series, and four races for the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.

Testing Policy Opened Up For 2013:
Beginning next season in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, there will be up to four tests per organization available to teams at tracks at which the series competes. Since 2009, teams could only test at tracks that did not hold NASCAR national series events. For the NASCAR Nationwide and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series, starting in 2013, there will be up to two tests per organization at tracks where those series compete. If the organization has an official Sunoco Rookie of Year candidate, then that team will receive one additional test. Additionally, NASCAR will open track activity early for extended practice at two additional events per series, to be determined.

Maximum Field Set At 40 Cars For NASCAR Nationwide Series:
In an effort to strengthen the ownership base up and create a sense of urgency among teams to make races, the maximum starting field for the NASCAR Nationwide Series will be set at 40, as opposed to the 43-car field in previous years. A maximum NASCAR Sprint Cup Series starting field will remain at 43 cars while the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series will hold steady at 36.(NASCAR)(10-16-2012)

Edited by Dilla, 17 October 2012 - 04:44.

#2083 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,186 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:34

Danica's Go Daddy future in question:

http://www.indystar....xt|Indianapolis Sports|p

#2084 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:59

Hmmm. That seems to be more over whether she appears in mainstream TV commercials(rather than racing ones).

#2085 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,186 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:33

Hmmm. That seems to be more over whether she appears in mainstream TV commercials(rather than racing ones).

However, with 2013 her last contract year with Go Daddy, I don't think that this is looked at as a vote of confidence for an extension. I think there is more than a Super Bowl ad at stake.

Article quote: "At issue: When to unhitch from a possibly falling star? This is what every company must decide that's been lucky enough to enjoy a good run with a celebrity spokesperson. There's no simple answer.'

#2086 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:04

But I read that as purely the endorsement part of the deal, which along with TV ads is something an agency handles; vs the sponsorship itself.

#2087 B Squared

B Squared

• 3,186 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:15

But I read that as purely the endorsement part of the deal, which along with TV ads is something an agency handles; vs the sponsorship itself.

You're more familiar than I with this type of matter. I'm going on "gut feeling" that her backers have to be disappointed in her lack of results or progress in NASCAR. We shall see.

#2088 Dmitriy_Guller

Dmitriy_Guller

• 4,085 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:18

How big is Go Daddy anyway? Is domain hosting business the new Standard Oil? How can they afford so much marketing expenditure?

#2089 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:33

If they don't like her results now, how happy are they going to be with her next year when she turns full-time in Sprint Cup? I'd like to know if these idiots were the ones pushing for her to go Cup full time in the first place, for more "exposure".

I see this relationship tanking. Two more Nationwide years is what she needs, along with sponsors who won't dictate her direction in the sport. I'm sure there are plenty of willing companies she could take on who'd be happy enough letting her get to grips with the NNS series first.

They would need to be green companies though, otherwise DanicaFan is looking at some serious home renovations :lol:

#2090 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,525 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 13:33

A billion in revenue, somehow.

Maybe they're Red Bull-esque and they just dump money into sponsorship. They have Danica, the Andretti Indycar(and endorsements with the Andretti family are tied into that) and a few TV commercial and the Super Bowl ads?

#2091 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 15:02

Geoff Bodine calls it a career. Thanks, Geoff!

Posted Image

Geoff Bodine retires from racing:
After competing in 575 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races over 27 seasons, Geoff Bodine is calling it a career. Bodine, who hasn't run full-time since 1999, has run part-time since his injury in the then NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Daytona opener in 2000.

Although he had a sponsor willing to back him this season if an opportunity arose to run with a team in any of NASCAR's three series, no deal panned out for the veteran. "I hate to use that 'retirement' word, but I'm 99.9 percent sure I'll never drive a racecar again," said the humble Bodine. Bodine, 63, ran select races in 2011 for Tommy Baldwin Racing.
In his four starts last year, Bodine finished with a best of 30th at the season finale Homestead-Miami Speedway. At that time, Bodine didn't feel that would be his last start in NASCAR, but he now is saying he will retire from the sport due to a number of factors.(Racing Experts)(10-18-2012)

#2092 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 17:41

Geoff Bodine calls it a career. Thanks, Geoff!

Posted Image

Geoff Bodine retires from racing:
After competing in 575 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races over 27 seasons, Geoff Bodine is calling it a career. Bodine, who hasn't run full-time since 1999, has run part-time since his injury in the then NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Daytona opener in 2000.

Although he had a sponsor willing to back him this season if an opportunity arose to run with a team in any of NASCAR's three series, no deal panned out for the veteran. "I hate to use that 'retirement' word, but I'm 99.9 percent sure I'll never drive a racecar again," said the humble Bodine. Bodine, 63, ran select races in 2011 for Tommy Baldwin Racing.
In his four starts last year, Bodine finished with a best of 30th at the season finale Homestead-Miami Speedway. At that time, Bodine didn't feel that would be his last start in NASCAR, but he now is saying he will retire from the sport due to a number of factors.(Racing Experts)(10-18-2012)

When I was much, much younger and a casual viewer of motorsports, Geoff Bodine is one of the racers with whom I developed an emotional connection. I think it was largely due to the tone of voice which Benny Parsons used to say his name on one or more occasions. I'd totally forgotten that until I read this article.

Happy trails, Geoff.

#2093 OfficeLinebacker

OfficeLinebacker

• 14,019 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 17:46

Denny Hamlin crashed hard today at Kansas and got his "bell rung." He felt dizzy and out of it. He was checked and passed all concussion tests and was in a backup car shortly.

http://espn.go.com/r...kansas-speedway

#2094 Risil

Risil

• 14,105 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 00:38

Danica's Go Daddy future in question:

http://www.indystar....xt|Indianapolis Sports|p

"The question at hand is: Is she in the Super Bowl or not?" says Barb Rechterman, chief marketing officer at Go Daddy. "What we're trying to do is redefine sexy to be a small-business owner running a successful business. So we want to explore options of how we make our advertising new."

Quick! Someone get Sarah Fisher's phone number!

#2095 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:56

Chevy to debut 2013 car at end of November: So far, every 2013 Chevy SS NASCAR Sprint Cup car that's shown up for testing has looked like something from a Rorschach test or maybe a psychedelic experiment from the 1960s gone horribly wrong, but that's about to change. Up until now, Chevy has insisted that the SS always run in a bizarre black-and-white wrap to conceal its true appearance. Finally, on Nov. 29 at the Wynn Las Vegas, Chevy will show the SS off in real race trim, minus the headache-inducing graphics. The street version of the SS will be based on Australian Holden VE Commodore, a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive sedan. The SS also bears a close resemblance to the late, lamented Pontiac G8, another Holden-based sedan. GM will be the last of the four automakers currently in NASCAR to formally unveil its 2013 car.(SPEED)(10-19-2012)

#2096 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 15:47

As expected:

Richard Petty Motorsports renews with Ford:
Richard Petty Motorsports and Ford Racing announced they will continue their manufacturer partnership. The announcement ensures that Richard Petty Motorsports' two NASCAR Sprint Cup race teams and its Nationwide Series race team will race under the Ford Racing banner into 2013. It will be the fourth consecutive season the team has raced with the manufacturer.
Subsequently, RPM will continue its services contract with Roush-Fenway Racing and Roush-Yates Racing to supply new Ford Fusions and Ford horsepower for its entries.
RPM will continue to enter the #9 Ford Fusion with partners Stanley and DEWALT and the # 43 Ford Fusion with Smithfield Foods and its family of brands, Smithfield, Eckrich, Farmland and Gwaltney, in the Sprint Cup Series, as well as the #43 Pilot/Flying J Ford Mustang with driver Michael Annett in the NASCAR Nationwide Series. The team is currently in the process of securing its Sprint Cup Series driver agreements.(RPM)(10-19-2012)

#2097 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 20:17

Danica Patrick and Ryan Newman get new crew chiefs for 2013...or sooner.

Danica Patrick will be paired with current Ryan Newman crew chief Tony Gibson next year and Newman will reunite with former Penske Racing crew chief Matt Borland, Stewart-Haas Racing announced Friday afternoon.

Patrick, who will be a full-time Sprint Cup Series driver for SHR beginning in 2013, will work with Gibson for her final two Cup races this year (Texas and Phoenix); Newman, meanwhile, will have Borland atop the pit box starting next week at Martinsville.

Full Article here.

#2098 nosaj100

nosaj100

• 914 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:16

Danica Patrick and Ryan Newman get new crew chiefs for 2013...or sooner.

Full Article here.

Borland back with Newman could be a big deal. They ran great together in the past and imo, Newman hasn't been the same since. He's been competitive, but there was a stretch there with Borland where they were a legit threat every week.

#2099 Dilla

Dilla

• 2,719 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:01

Pastrana intends to sign a deal for a full 2013 Nationwide tour.

Two days after racing in the fifth stop of the Global RallyCross series at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Travis Pastrana did something he's been putting off for nearly 10 years: He had surgery to repair the rotator cuff and labrum in his left shoulder. Although he's tallied more than 20 knee surgeries, Pastrana had never addressed his nagging shoulder issues, knowing the recovery time -- six to eight months -- was more than he could take off while he was still riding dirt bikes.

For years, Pastrana was able to tape it well enough to ride or drive. "But it was getting impossible to brace," he said. "There was nothing left of the labrum. My shoulder used to pop out and go right back in. But that wasn't happening anymore. It was popping out and staying out."

Pastrana said his shoulder dislocated a few times during every RallyCross race this season, leading to many of his crashes. During a late model race in Michigan in July, his car lost power steering and his shoulder dislocated, making steering virtually impossible. At the Charlotte K&N Pro Series race, it dislocated the first time he took his left hand off the steering wheel.

"It became dangerous, and I didn't want to take any more chances with me or anyone else on the track," Pastrana said. So he scheduled surgery for the week after what was supposed to be the final round of the GRC series, on Sept. 29. Then, when the Oct. 30 race was added to the schedule, he had to make a decision: postpone the surgery or stick to his original plan and skip the final race of the series.

"I would have waited, but this surgery has a four-month recovery period before I can even think about testing and taking a direct hit in certain directions," Pastrana said. "I wanted to be back in the car and solid for Daytona. The NASCAR season is my priority, so I didn't want to wait any longer."

The surgery, Pastrana said, went well, and he expects to start rehab at the beginning of 2013.

"The hardest part about shoulder rehab is not rehabbing," he said. "Right now, I'm intentionally losing some motion in my shoulder, so it locks down tight and doesn't come out as much. In a few months, I'll start strength training."

The day before surgery, Pastrana invited BMX riders Dave Mirra, Steve McCann and Dusty Wygle to his place in Davidsonville, Md., for a day of riding. It was the first time he hit jumps on a BMX bike and "really ride moto" since crashing at the 2011 X Games, and video of him attempting a BMX double backflip 360 hit the Internet a few days later.

Sept. 27 was also the last day to qualify for the 2012 Big Buck Hunter Championships, which Pastrana qualified for once again. The event is Nov. 9-10 in New York City, and Pastrana said he may compete if his doctor OKs it and he is able to rig up a brace. However, he'll have to shoot left-handed.

A week after the surgery, Pastrana celebrated his 29th birthday. He is currently in Europe for a week of press promoting the upcoming Nitro Circus Live tour.

Although Pastrana will attend the final stop of the GRC on Oct. 30 in Las Vegas, he will not drive. Instead, Bryce Menzies, the 2011 SCORE Trophy Truck and 2012 Baja 500 champion who made his RallyCross debut at X Games Los Angeles, will take his seat. "I'll be there working to help get Bryce as comfortable as possible," said Pastrana, who also will use his time off to rehab his right ankle and foot, which have still not healed completely since his crash at the 2011 X Games.

All of this is in preparation for the 2013 Nationwide Series, which Pastrana said is his No. 1 priority. "Nothing is concrete yet, and nothing is signed, but it looks really good that I'll be doing the entire Nationwide series next year," Pastrana said. "I'm excited. I need the experience. Every track I've gone to, I've been better when I've gone back. And I'm excited to work with a team that has a lot of data and knowledge. That's going to help me a lot. Then we'll see how I do."

Putting off necessary shoulder surgery for 10 years is kind of insane.

I'm surprised, he's been saying the right things but i still don't think of Pastrana as a long haul guy. He comes off as too "free" to dedicate himself to such a long schedule.I think he can succeed if he sticks to it, he's shown speed when he is not wrecking or having mechanical failures. I think he'll love the plate races.

Edited by Dilla, 23 October 2012 - 03:13.

Advertisement

#2100 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:27

I said he seemed to be looking around for something more full-time. Interesting.