* * * * - 8 votes

Caterham F1 - 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2169 replies to this topic

#1601 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:45

Pic was seen in the paddock chatting and laughing away with Caterham in Singapore. He'll most likely to be in the team nest year.

His family is wealthy and influential, and close to the Renault Group, so maybe Caterham could use him as leverage to closer ties with Renault.

As for Petrov, his manager's jibe at Tony seems to indicate the party is over. He'll move on to another project.

As for lack of spares and new parts, I'm not sure other teams share the same opinion, unless there are special cases. For Caterham in particular, they have a habit
of this for reasons only they know. Possibly lack of resources ?

Advertisement

#1602 hippie

hippie

• 286 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:03

Before the Singapore race Mark Smith gave an interview. Seems like there won't be any big upgrade packages coming for Caterham this season, but they'll nevertheless keep on developing the car until the last race, since the next year's car will be direct evolution from this year's car.

Smith says the headcount in Caterham F1 is now 200-250. I wonder how many people Toro Rosso, Force India and Marussia are currently employing? Caterham uses Williams's second wind tunnel and they will also soon have a much improved CFD facility in Leafield, but do they have enough experienced staff and skilled engineers of John Iley's caliber to raise their game and challenge the midfield in 2013?

Edited by hippie, 28 September 2012 - 01:39.

#1603 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:09

Reading between the lines, I think Mark Smith is telling us not to expect much for 2013. Great interview, lots of detail.

Sauber about 250, Toro Rosso around 300. Marussia 180 only.

Mark Smith :up: :up:

Edited by CatInTheBag, 28 September 2012 - 08:53.

#1604 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:08

.....but do they have enough experienced staff and skilled engineers of John Iley's caliber to raise their game and challenge the midfield in 2013?

I think people like John Iley and Mark Smith are guys who point the direction to take, and what to develop. The ones who design the car are ones
we do not hear. Correct me if I'm wrong.

#1605 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 20:38

Fernandes In £250m Alpine Deal.

People close to the French company say the joint venture has been agreed in outline with both sides to own equal stakes and cars likely to be produced under both the Caterham and Renault names.

The deal is understood to have been slated to be announced at last week’s Paris Motor Show, but is now due to be presented to Renault-Nissan’s works council on Monday before being announced in the coming weeks.

http://news.sky.com/...50m-alpine-deal

#1606 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:55

Heikki disappointed with Caterham's performance. 2 pay drivers for next year ?

http://www.yallaf1.c...onship-souring/

#1607 hippie

hippie

• 286 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:13

Giedo van der Garde has already told a month ago that he will be back in the Caterham cockpit for the Free Practice 1 sessions in Japan, Korea, India, Abu Dhabi and Brazil, and he'll also have two days in the Young Driver test. So nothing new there.

Today Heikki Kovalainen told the Finnish F1 broadcaster MTV3 that he had a good meeting with Tony and the team in Singapore. All the problems that had been developing between Kovalainen's manager and the team were resolved once Heikki got personally involved in the negotiations, and the situation is now OK.

Heikki tells he isn't currently involved in any serious negotiations about his future with other teams. Caterham has assured him that the team will continue to improve, and that has been Heikki's main concern in thinking about his future in F1.

#1608 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 13:25

While Heikki is considering his options which is not too bright, his manager tries to milk as much out of the team as possible. His late involvement with the negotiations was probably
a "stop gap" in case he fails to secure any other "worthwhile" seats. Honestly, I fail to see any where else for him.

I also think he desperately wants out.

On the other hand, the other teams look at him either not good enough, or having no money.

#1609 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 15:25

While Heikki is considering his options which is not too bright, his manager tries to milk as much out of the team as possible. His late involvement with the negotiations was probably
a "stop gap" in case he fails to secure any other "worthwhile" seats. Honestly, I fail to see any where else for him.

I also think he desperately wants out.

On the other hand, the other teams look at him either not good enough, or having no money.

Sauber maybe? :drunk:

#1610 Saturnus

Saturnus

• 282 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 20:17

I think Heikki needs Caterham more than the opposite.
I know the team likes Heikki and would like to keep him, but there are good alternatives available at the same level.
I can't really see any other teams then the bottom three or maybe Williams having a seat for Heikki.
The Toro Rosso seats are reserved for Red Bull drivers.
Force India will likely keep it's drivers.
Sauber has an available seat, but I think they will be looking for younger drivers.

I would actually like to see Adrian Sutil back in F1 with Caterham next year.

#1611 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 6,101 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 21:01

Kovalainen said to finnish television channel that he is close to sign deal with Caterham and has no other choices for next year.

#1612 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 21:11

I think Heikki needs Caterham more than the opposite.
I know the team likes Heikki and would like to keep him, but there are good alternatives available at the same level.
I can't really see any other teams then the bottom three or maybe Williams having a seat for Heikki.
The Toro Rosso seats are reserved for Red Bull drivers.
Force India will likely keep it's drivers.
Sauber has an available seat, but I think they will be looking for younger drivers.

I would actually like to see Adrian Sutil back in F1 with Caterham next year.

Donno

The last season the team dumped Gazza, and now see what happened? Now Heikki and keep on dreaming?

#1613 Nustang70

Nustang70

• 2,411 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 22:56

I'd like to see Heikki stay at the team, but it might make more sense for the team to bring on Pic & van der Garde, if both can bring sponsorhip. Neither driver is a slouch, and Fernandes' goal of organic growth needs money and time to develop infrastructure and technical expertise. Heikki's experience might not be as useful as sponsorship dollars at this point.

#1614 jals99

jals99

• 782 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:31

It is all not fair/ Vitaly is driving bettter than Kovalainen this year, and he will bring sponsorship, maybe not so much next year, but Kovalainen will not bring any. And Vitaly is not asking for a large salary. It is all down to Tony's personal relations with Heikki...Very sad :(

#1615 mprtc

mprtc

• 249 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:24

This team is one of the worst in history of F1 ... cannot resist hating it

#1616 alexSun

alexSun

• 37 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:57

When you all begin to understand that in modern Formula 1, all pilots are pay drivers ? only in the others forms (direct or indirect).

#1617 hippie

hippie

• 286 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:02

It is all not fair/ Vitaly is driving bettter than Kovalainen this year, and he will bring sponsorship, maybe not so much next year, but Kovalainen will not bring any. And Vitaly is not asking for a large salary. It is all down to Tony's personal relations with Heikki...Very sad :(

That's obviously your personal opinion. But the team has much more data to evaluate the drivers than us casual fans, so they know better which driver deserves to stay -- should it be the case that one of them has to go. I don't believe for a moment that they'd keep a driver just because he happens to be a nice chap.

#1618 Rentta

Rentta

• 295 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:40

There is so many worst teams in f1 history compared to caterham .

#1619 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:57

Honestly speaking, I am alright with any drivers. The car is too slow.

The only bright side of having an experienced driver is so he would bin the car less. But Tony's got a lot of money.

Seriously, its been well documented that drivers input to an F1 car development, has been overly stated and exaggerated.

Advertisement

#1620 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:16

Petrov's got a rear wing failure on the last lap in FP2. Hope its not serious.

On the other hand, CaterhamF1 tweets:
"We've put some clear air between us & the cars behind so that's another plus, and we should see more progress tomorrow" @H_Kovalainen

<0.5s gap - clear air ? The team is trying very hard to impress Heikki. Let's hope Marussia isn't sand bagging.

18. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1m35.711s + 3.218 41
19. Vitaly Petrov Caterham-Renault 1m35.870s + 3.377 37
20. Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 1m36.194s + 3.701 32
21. Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 1m36.636s + 4.143

#1621 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:43

There is so many worst teams in f1 history compared to caterham .

Andrea Moda spring to mind.

Old Perry didn't even make it to the end of the pit lane once!

#1622 alexSun

alexSun

• 37 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:46

Petrov's got a rear wing failure on the last lap in FP2. Hope its not serious.

The wing is flew!!!!! In the history of F1 it was only once!!! When Heikki was in Mclaren (if I'm not mistaken) .

Vitaly is absolutely nothing to do with. Good that Vitaly save the car! ( One of proof of his good qualities in drive and interviews after...)

#1623 g1n

g1n

• 879 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:53

The wing is flew!!!!! In the history of F1 it was only once!!! When Heikki was in Mclaren (if I'm not mistaken) .

umm no, why on earth would you say that?

#1624 GhostR

GhostR

• 2,721 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:12

Vitaly is absolutely nothing to do with. Good that Vitaly save the car! ( One of proof of his good qualities in drive and interviews after...)

It's happened plenty more times than that, for a variety of reasons.

#1625 alexSun

alexSun

• 37 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:33

umm no, why on earth would you say that?

wing flew off on its own, - Vitaly was on the straight (line) before turn

#1626 alexSun

alexSun

• 37 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:36

It's happened plenty more times than that, for a variety of reasons.

Maybe I did not watch this (all not follow! I did note it's in the my post)

#1627 sesku

sesku

• 285 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:18

Are you a big fan of Andrea Moda? :rotfl:

#1628 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 87 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 16:26

Big bold statement there. The 1997 MasterCard Lola was pretty awful, not even two races. And then there's Pacific Grand Prix...

#1629 silencer

silencer

• 85 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:52

Trulli.... is that you?

#1630 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:16

Wow, HRT is joining in the fun too. Great job by PdlR 1.35.644 at the moment. :up:

I am looking at our progress but still to no avail in Suzuka although they brought a few updates.

#1631 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 05:26

Petrov was beaten by both Marussia and HRT. Saving grace for our team by one-lap wonder, Heikki.

Will we hear Heikki's the only one with the updates ? Or just plain disappointing performance by Petrov.

#1632 Rentta

Rentta

• 295 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:11

Petrov was beaten by both Marussia and HRT. Saving grace for our team by one-lap wonder, Heikki.

Will we hear Heikki's the only one with the updates ? Or just plain disappointing performance by Petrov.

There wasn't any big upgrades this weekend

#1633 jals99

jals99

• 782 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:13

Just a mistake by Vitaly. He was faster than Kovalainen in first sector, just mistake...

#1634 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:17

This would suggest otherwise http://www.f1rejects...eams/index.html

#1635 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:27

There wasn't any big upgrades this weekend

Could be true. But Petrov was testing new parts in FP.

#1636 Rentta

Rentta

• 295 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:31

Could be true. But Petrov was testing new parts in FP.

Which parts ? Source please. I missed that if it's true . I know they have some extremely small upgrades to sidepods .

Edited by Rentta, 06 October 2012 - 06:32.

#1637 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:42

....wing flew off on its own.

Airbus won't like that.............very bad for their image!

#1638 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:44

Which parts ? Source please. I missed that if it's true . I know they have some extremely small upgrades to sidepods .

Your knowledge is 100% correct..........they also made an extremely small difference to their qualy performance.
Like none.

#1639 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:15

http://caterhamf1.co...nese-gp-fp1-fp2

Quote from Petrov;
"We've run a lot of laps, doing aero work and testing a couple of new parts in the morning session and focusing on the tyres in FP2."

John Liey
"Useful Friday program for us today as we continue to learn and develop the CT01"

Advertisement

#1640 Red17

Red17

• 3,449 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:16

Keep it up guys!
I got 2 bottles of hatred full already and a third coming right up. this will sell for top money.

#1641 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 13:45

Good news.

The rear wing failure on Friday wasn't caused by any structural defects. Real reason was that, it was erroneously mounted.

Phew!

#1642 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:28

Lap 9.

Petrov is having a poor race. Problems with car ? Or Suzuka exposes his weakness. Can't overtake PdlR's HRT.

Meanwhile Heikki is at good 11th, but I'm sure he won't maintain that position. Good drive though for the
moment.

#1643 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:36

Lap 17.

Glock's Marussia is as quick as Heikki's Caterham. Heikki pits !

#1644 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:43

Lap 22.

Cars in front dropping like flies. Maybe, maybe, ... if Heikki stays on the track, he could just finish 12th. McLaren is having problems
at the front.

#1645 Red17

Red17

• 3,449 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:46

Lap 22.

Cars in front dropping like flies. Maybe, maybe, ... if Heikki stays on the track, he could just finish 12th. McLaren is having problems
at the front.

He has managed to stay ahead of Vergne, so he is in good position, here is hope they don't screw the strategy.

Edit: Bah, Vergne managed to pass Heiki.

Edited by Red17, 07 October 2012 - 06:46.

#1646 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:57

Lap 28.

Wow, Marussia is really quick. Could be beaten again. Not good.

We've got a Dr. Jeckyl and Hyde car. Heavy fuel - okay. Once it goes lighter, - painful to watch. Like the laptimes stuck at the event horizon.

#1647 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:26

Lap 47.

Marussia chasing down Heikki. You've got to hand it to them, no KERS, less resources, 180 people. And yet they showed progress more than
the midfield teams this year.

Caterham having a typical race.

#1648 Zedderick

Zedderick

• 31 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:00

KERS failure for Petrov apparently, though he seemed to be catching both Marussias before Pic retired and Petrov fell off the road. Still a pretty lacklustre race (certainly for Vitaly); really hope that there are still a few good races left for the team this year.

#1649 alexSun

alexSun

• 37 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:04

Vitaly was without KERS (don't work) - It's even worse if it was not installed!!!
Again the race was broken because of technical problems. + Penalty (blue flags) are not valid. :(

#1650 jals99

jals99

• 782 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:05

Vitaly was without KERS (don't work) - It's even worse if it was not installed!!!
Again the race was broken because of technical problems. + Penalty (blue flags) are not valid. :(

Vitaly radio was not working, he did not hear about blue flags...Kova was not great too - Glock was too close.