* * * * - 8 votes

Caterham F1 - 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2169 replies to this topic

#151 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:15

In regards to the whole Civic vs. Caterham business, you are paying for 2 different things.

For the Civic you are paying for a good daily driver which is comfortable.

For the Caterham you are paying for a raw track car which has considerable pace. You are paying for the inherent SPEED in the car, as this is its market; performance.

Just because you cannot understand some things, does not make it wrong. Get over yourself.

Advertisement

#152 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,578 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 13:36

Surely if you are going to discuss something you need to spend a bit of time learning about the thing you are discussing? So far all you have done is:

1) Demonstrated that you don't know anything about the future plans of Caterham as you seemed to have thought that the plan was to make F1 special edition 7's instead of a new car
2) Demonstrated that you don't know anything about how Caterham operate, as you seem to think that Caterham is a factory making cars from raw materials
3) Demonstrated that you don't even know where in the world the town Caterham is.

Any despite all that, you seem to desperate to tell the rest of us daily all about your opinions on TF buying Caterham. OK, we get it, you don't think it was an good idea due to your deep knowledge of Caterham and Caterham Group's business plan, and I should sell my Caterham and buy a Honda Civic - so can we move on now?

You don't understand discussion do you? It's not knowing everything. I made a comment, some agreed while one or two seem determined to translate it as anti-Caterham and keep arguing on and on (and on) even if they have to totally misrepresent my position to do so. If you don't want to talk about it, shut up about it.

Otherwise I'll point out yet again that I was not saying a Civic is any kind of alternative to a 7, merely vastly more sophisticated as an item to manufacture but the same price.

My whole point is that the NEW car IS a different technology to 7's; if they even buy in the spaceframe then it reinforces my point.

So talk about why it was a good idea, if that's what you think, but stop this unpleasant line of posting, which is quite dishonest anyway.

#153 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,578 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 13:43

In regards to the whole Civic vs. Caterham business, you are paying for 2 different things.

For the Civic you are paying for a good daily driver which is comfortable.

For the Caterham you are paying for a raw track car which has considerable pace. You are paying for the inherent SPEED in the car, as this is its market; performance.

Thank goodness we have you to explain this :drunk:

#154 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 1,767 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 21:27

Does Renault sell a RWD compatible 4 cylinder engine?

I'm unsure what power plants Nissan has that could be brought to the party but certainly Renault make a large number engines suitable for RWD - if the engine is behind the driver...

#155 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 21:34

Related to Renault Engine, it is a road car stroy right? Lotus used to have 1.6l engine of say 150 bhp, how about Torqus of those new engines? Ferrari has this kick acceleration from 150km on 5th like a second gear in the 40 km/h.

#156 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 722 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:11

The John Iley news officially confirmed today:

http://hosted-p0.vre...4bfcaa9/ARCHIVE

Interestingly it has the date of the Caterham F1 switchover at the bottom, and the new URL :)

*****@caterhamf1.com (from December 14th)

#157 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,375 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:30

The John Iley news officially confirmed today:

http://hosted-p0.vre...4bfcaa9/ARCHIVE

Interestingly it has the date of the Caterham F1 switchover at the bottom, and the new URL :)

something I've already hinted at...

http://forums.autosp...a...t&p=5427327

#158 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 14:43

Major teams talk about RRA, Fernandes talks about PR.

Team Lotus boss Tony Fernandes says Formula 1 must promote itself better

Not many new remarks there, but I do think he kinda failed in the cricket analogy.

You cant make the sport more simple, otherwise it's just a spec series ala Indycar. Perhaps he should ago along the lines of promoting local motorsport, something that he seems to be doing with Caterham with the new R300 series.

This also marks the final day as Team Lotus for team. Perhaps all this silence means the transition will be done quietly (for a change).

#159 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 722 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 14:58

This also marks the final day as Team Lotus for team. Perhaps all this silence means the transition will be done quietly (for a change).

Nah :)

DNS is now set up for www.caterhamf1.com, just has a blank page with <!-- Coming Soon! -->

Hoping they will get the merchandising up and going faster this year :)

Advertisement

#160 DinocoBlue

DinocoBlue

• 370 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 20:56

The final Team Lotus Notes signs off with what presumably is the Caterham logo.

Posted Image

#161 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 21:49

Posted Image

And what appears to be the new car name: CT01-#1

Why on earth a #1? Well, time to edit the thread name.

#162 hippie

hippie

• 285 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 23:23

And what appears to be the new car name: CT01-#1

Why on earth a #1? Well, time to edit the thread name.

The number of the chassis comes right after the car name. The first chassis they'll get ready will be number 1, the second will be #2, and so on.

In Brazil 2011 Jarno drove Lotus T128-03 and Heikki drove the T128-04.

#163 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 13:52

Posted Image

That's kinda underwhelming. Couldn't they use some variation of the Caterham 7 logo? Or at least include the // as on the SP/300R or the website favicon? I mean, it's better than HRT's logo, but still...

#164 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 13:56

New signs going up at the factory
Posted Image
Posted Image

#165 David Lightman

David Lightman

• 323 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 14:02

The current Ferrari logo is bad enough but that thing is a joke. Did they get the cleaner to 'design' it in his spare time?

#166 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 722 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 14:07

Couldn't they use some variation of the Caterham 7 logo?

Um, no as that logo was designed for Caterham by Lotus - clean start and all that :)

The Caterham Motorsport logo is just text + line too, but I assume it will be retired:

Posted Image

On it's own it looks iffy, but looks fine on jackets, brollies etc.

As well as the new logo, the last copy of Team Lotus notes has a lot of info on the new car - due in 2014, as well as in Europe it could be manufactured locally in the Far East where they have silly taxes on imports, and has, doors, windows, and get this - air conditioning!
Now if the windows can be wound up and down, that will be a first for Caterham :)

#167 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 14:25

Um, no as that logo was designed for Caterham by Lotus - clean start and all that :)[...]

If they wanted a clean start, they wouldn't have called the team Caterham. Lotus is a part of Caterham history and i'm pretty sure Fernandes will market it this way too. Though it could be that Caterham is only allowed to use this logo for the 7 - both 21 and SP/300R have different ones i think. But even then, they could've designed a new one. They'd need it anyway for their new road car in a few years. And pretty much everything is better than a generic text logo like that.

And i actually think the Caterham Motorsport logo looks better.

Edited by dau, 14 December 2011 - 14:27.

#168 sesku

sesku

• 280 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:30

It just a fricking logo guy. If you look closely, the logo almost look like the logo on SP/300R. Beside that, Why on earth they want to use 7 logo? It not like they use 7 for F1.

#169 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:35

They could have create a badge or something a bit more inspiring, i guess we'll be seeing a similar livery by the colours on the signs

#170 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,806 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:38

Posted Image

this one better. ):

that official one looks like cheap IT gadgets or sth.

#171 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:43

It just a fricking logo guy. If you look closely, the logo almost look like the logo on SP/300R. Beside that, Why on earth they want to use 7 logo? It not like they use 7 for F1.

Of course it's just a logo. One i don't like, because i think it's just too generic.

Also, this is the logo on the SP/300R. Almost, eh?
Posted Image

#172 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:47

Um, no as that logo was designed for Caterham by Lotus - clean start and all that :)

The Caterham Motorsport logo is just text + line too, but I assume it will be retired:

Posted Image

On it's own it looks iffy, but looks fine on jackets, brollies etc.

As well as the new logo, the last copy of Team Lotus notes has a lot of info on the new car - due in 2014, as well as in Europe it could be manufactured locally in the Far East where they have silly taxes on imports, and has, doors, windows, and get this - air conditioning!
Now if the windows can be wound up and down, that will be a first for Caterham :)

So the low weight ethos is gone then.

#173 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:48

Posted Image
Posted Image

Do not like it.

#174 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 722 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 15:51

Lotus is a part of Caterham history and i'm pretty sure Fernandes will market it this way too.

Right... But to the general motorsport fan (the future customers) whose only knowledge of Caterham is that they make the little white car the Stig drives, having a logo which is basically the Lotus logo upside down could cause 'issues'. As I wrote before, they already use a different logo for motorsport for good reasons.

As for the SP/300R logo, it looks a bit of a mess to me and I bet will change - I like what they have done for their twitter icon:

Posted Image

But yeah, not sure about the font, hope it will grow on me :)

#175 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,675 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 16:00

The SP/300R dressed on green and yellow will look like a Lotus Car's offspring.
Bahar is revamp all its sponsorship base to a black and gold livery, but I think that it may take some time before we can dissociate a green and yellow combination from Lotus.

#176 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 16:15

Posted Image

This would make a clean nice logo, in my opinion at least. But we all know Fernandes doesnt like orange.
My guess is that the lack of logo means they didnt like the proposals so far, but they had to release something today.
Perhaps they should look inhouse... *hint* *hint*

#177 sesku

sesku

• 280 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 16:48

Of course it's just a logo. One i don't like, because i think it's just too generic.

Also, this is the logo on the SP/300R. Almost, eh?
Posted Image

please look closely to this logo

Posted Image

#178 WBarnato

WBarnato

• 82 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 17:30

Just a quick one before I dart home.

I believe one of the problems with the "old" Caterham logo was that it could not be applied well to the car, in that all the moulding and angles of the car didnt allow the logo to be showed off to its best. Thats why there was that horrible fudge of an application last season.

Yes the team are now Caterham and dont need Caterham to be advertised on the side of the car, however, it might prove a reason why the old logo couldn't be continued.

It really doesnt offend me at all!

#179 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 17:57

this big underscored M stands for "Mike"?

Advertisement

#180 joora

joora

• 298 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 18:06

The logo screams of bad graphic design.

They should've just use the logo rfom SP/300R and add "F1 team".

#181 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 18:52

please look closely to this logo

Posted Image

Thought that was just their Twitter/FB avatar, but i just noticed they put it up at their factory too. My bad. Still don't like the typography though.

#182 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 18:59

dont like the lotus colors.... sorry... :down: :down: :down: :down:

by the way.. just out of curiousity...nothing that can be changed here.. but how do you market a caterham in a muslim religious country?
cater-ham as in catering ham...
would arab/malay customers reject buying a caterham?

#183 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,675 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 19:25

Posted Image

#184 BullHead

BullHead

• 6,419 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 20:05

oh. wow.... talk about impact

#185 sopwith_uk

sopwith_uk

• 65 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 00:02

Posted Image
Posted Image

Looks like they got the work experience kid to design the new logo...it is terrible and not what I was expecting at all from them. It makes Ferrari's team logo look good.

#186 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 4,392 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 00:10

I like it. Simple and classic.

#187 fer312t

fer312t

• 743 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:31

While I don't find the logo design particularly offensive, the spacing between 'F1 and Team' is strange and makes the whole logo look a bit uncomfortable... It also somehow creates the illusion of exaggerated space between the 'C' and 'A' of CATERHAM....making it read
C ATERHAM

#188 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:00

Posted Image

That mockup looks better. The green background works fine, perhaps all it needs is the yellow bordering the badge and voilá! You got a brand badge. The only thing that looks out of place is the Caterham F1 Team lettering at the top. That lettering should be gone and leave the lone «Caterham» at the bottom, there is no reason to separate the F1 part from Caterham, Ferrari doesnt do it, Mercedes doesnt do it and even LRGP avoided it.

THAT way you get a uniform brand image for all the Caterham range, which was what I thougt was the strategy after all.

(Caterham guys, I know you read this thread, if you havent got the idea yet, most people here think your logo is meh. Consider revising it, use the SP/300R template with the BRG colors and you should be ok)

Edited by Red17, 15 December 2011 - 09:07.

#189 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,228 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:14

A pretty poor logo considering the nature of the business IMO.

#190 sesku

sesku

• 280 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:18

dont like the lotus colors.... sorry... :down: :down: :down: :down:

by the way.. just out of curiousity...nothing that can be changed here.. but how do you market a caterham in a muslim religious country?

I'm a Muslim and I don't find it offensive. Muslim country even have beef/chicken bacon in their menu. Being an Arab or Muslim doesn't mean that they do not know the difference between a car and pig. :p

#191 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:18

A pretty poor logo considering the nature of the business IMO.

seconded, sadly.

#192 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:34

Ah! I think I see your point.
I doubt we will see a rebranding as the chinese did by naming MG Mr. Gentleman ( :mad: )

As for muslims and cars, I think the recent season venues are enough proof that they love cars as much as non muslim petrol heads (having the cash to attend the races is a different subject), at most, some petrol millionaires may find the price of the 7 a bit offensive.

#193 davemsc

davemsc

• 44 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:53

I know it's an opinions forum, but I have never read so much bloody rot as has appeared on the last couple of pages. If you feel that strongly about the logo, give Caterham a call and make some suggestions. :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol:

#194 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 13:11

I know it's an opinions forum, but I have never read so much bloody rot as has appeared on the last couple of pages. If you feel that strongly about the logo, give Caterham a call and make some suggestions. :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol:

I was about to take your sugestion (and I could sure use the small fortune they will pay for the new logo), but then I saw the new LRGP logo...
It seems the war is now on making weird logos, so no chance they will take my entry now. :|

#195 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,675 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 14:09

[...]That lettering should be gone and leave the lone «Caterham» at the bottom, there is no reason to separate the F1 part from Caterham, Ferrari doesnt do it, Mercedes doesnt do it and even LRGP avoided it.

THAT way you get a uniform brand image for all the Caterham range, which was what I thougt was the strategy after all.

If you take a close look at the tip of the noses of this teams' cars will see that indeed they use the F1 logo (as mandated by FIA). The trick this teams use is to give emphasis to the engine logo (also mandate by FIA) in the case of Ferrari and Mercedes or a sponsor, in the case of LRGP.

#196 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 722 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 15:18

That was the bit that had me confused - OK, you can swap 'F1' for 'GP2', or even for 'racing' to replace the motorsport logo, but what would be in the gap on a road car??

Ahhhh:

Posted Image

OK, now to me it works without the line. That written at the bottom of my speedo would work :)

#197 Red17

Red17

• 3,196 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 15:24

If you take a close look at the tip of the noses of this teams' cars will see that indeed they use the F1 logo (as mandated by FIA). The trick this teams use is to give emphasis to the engine logo (also mandate by FIA) in the case of Ferrari and Mercedes or a sponsor, in the case of LRGP.

That's not the point.
The problem is not the whole «Caterham F1 Team», it's the fact that they are using that long lettering as a badge as well.
As for the nose, most teams opt for the lettering mostly because it a lot more simple. But this year's Renault only sported a «Renault» no F1.

#198 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,675 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 15:48

That's not the point.
The problem is not the whole «Caterham F1 Team», it's the fact that they are using that long lettering as a badge as well.
As for the nose, most teams opt for the lettering mostly because it a lot more simple. But this year's Renault only sported a «Renault» no F1.

I think I've got your point.

You mean, this:

Posted Image

#199 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 722 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 16:37

I think I've got your point.

I guess in that situation they will just use the text 'Caterham' as on the sign above.

Advertisement

#200 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 21:01

I know it's an opinions forum, but I have never read so much bloody rot as has appeared on the last couple of pages. [...]

Really? Never? Oh, how i envy you.

--

So they are ditching the old Helvetica logotype altogether?