* * * * - 8 votes

Caterham F1 - 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2169 replies to this topic

#1951 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:04

Sounds like they are going to an all-paydriver lineup of Van der Garde and Pic.

Advertisement

#1952 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:12

I hope Petrov manages to find a seat somewhere, he's been impressive this year. Faster than Kovalainen and hardly makes any mistakes.

#1953 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:00

There hasn't been for a while now, there was a terse comment about how they would start issuing press releases when they had something to report:)

Why on earth would he do that? The whole idea of owning the F1 team, was to promote car sales, and the road cars plan seems to be on track and then some. When the Caterham Alpine cars go on sale the F1 team will be essential in promoting the brand.

Only if they're winning, surely?

#1954 alexSun

alexSun

• 37 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:43

I'm tired of repeating it: Vitaly and Heikki - both very strong, stable and high-quality drivers!
They are worthy of fast cars, with their skills - good teams will undoubtedly be in the top positions!
Another big plus V.Petrov in that in a short time he could to adapt to the machine in which Heikki spent quite a long time. (It's shows Vitaly's hard work and technical - talent). Remember how Vitaly being still a novice in F1 in 2010, was able to keep throughout the race F. Alonso and not let him fight for the title! Vitaly also on the podium in Australia 2011! Strongest drivers - Nick Heidfeld also lost Vitaly. Now, over time, the ability for the last time Vitaly very grown up. Vitaly was equal basis with Heikki and other world top pilots.
Heikki also very cool racer. Complement to his address can say hundreds!
The team was very lucky with the composition of the pilots, but definitely a team at least need to build a new chassis.

Edited by alexSun, 20 November 2012 - 07:46.

#1955 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:57

Petrov may be going to Marussia. Glock & Petrov, not bad at all.

#1956 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:32

Sounds like they are going to an all-paydriver lineup of Van der Garde and Pic.

Meaning in 2013 Caterham will be the backmaker behind Marissia.

#1957 USSFSteeler

USSFSteeler

• 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:49

It's very sad to hear, that Heikki maybe out of Formula 1 after this season.

And to be honest with you, i don't understand why other Teams are not signing him, because to me he is a very talented and maybe the most underrated driver. But "money talks" once again. :(

I hope for a miracle to happen, but i doubt that there will be any chance for him signing with a team in the near future. *sigh*

#1958 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:43

Pic signs for Caterham. Not bad also.

Edd Straw thinks highly of him too.

* Mark Hughes of QPR sacked.

Edited by CatInTheBag, 23 November 2012 - 12:51.

#1959 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:00

Do CT-01 have exhaust with smell of koala yet?

Advertisement

#1960 TT6

TT6

• 3,557 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:20

They really should keep Kovalainen - if not for other reasons than for evaluating if Pic is any good or not.

#1961 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,775 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:24

Lot of appreciation for Pic, in this thread and others - but what good did he actually show? He's behind Glock in the championship.

#1962 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 317 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:33

Lot of appreciation for Pic, in this thread and others - but what good did he actually show? He's behind Glock in the championship.

He did well in race and qualy against Glock without any testings with the 2012 car.

Much better that D'ambrosio and Di grassi.

#1963 Jackmancer

Jackmancer

• 2,775 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 13:51

He did well in race and qualy against Glock without any testings with the 2012 car.

Alright, but.. he's still chosen for his money right? And perhaps a bit because of talent. Right?

#1964 WimJ

WimJ

• 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 14:39

Well, TBH, compared with d'Ambrosio, Pic is showing the same results. If I remember well, Pic might have the better results in Q, Jerome had the same results in race, if not better.

This said, I'm glad Pic stays in F1 by signing this multi year deal.

#1965 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:43

Chiming in with the rest, he's shown very impressive speed in qualifying, but also in the race. Being a rookie though, he's made a handful of mistakes which has lost him time, and sometimes made the comparison with Glock on Sundays, fall in his disfavour. There is no doubt that he has the speed though.

It'll be annoying and dissapointing if Caterham end up with GvdGarde as the other driver though. While being a minnow, Caterham has only had good drivers so hopefully they can atleast pick the better pay-driver, and that's not him.

#1966 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:09

Senna is in the running as well. Is he a better option for Caterham ?

#1967 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:12

Better than GvdG I think. His racecraft is quite good, and his lack of qualifying pace wouldn't be as punishing being back there.

#1968 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:19

Alright, but.. he's still chosen for his money right? And perhaps a bit because of talent. Right?

Yes, he is. But he's not competely hopeless.

I really hope they pair him with a proven driver though. VdG is decent, but that would be one of the most uninspiring lineups since the Minardi days.

#1969 TudorMiron

TudorMiron

• 211 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 14:42

Vitaly is fairly close to Toro Rosso after FP3. May be this track suits the car a bit better. Heikki is more than 0.5 sec behind and barely in front of Glock.

Lets see what transpires in Quali.

#1970 TudorMiron

TudorMiron

• 211 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:35

Again very solid job by Vitaly. Outpacing (just a fraction thought) Heikki in tricky conditions of Q1.

Hope he finds a place on the 2013 grid. After beating Truli convinsingly in 2011 Heikki's reputation was very high. On the other hand Vitaly regularly outpacing Heidfeld was generaly perceived as if Heidfeld was way past his prime and lost his speed. If we look at posts from just before 2012 most people where saying that Heikki will simply destroy pay driver Vitaly. That didn't happen. In fact Heikki was beaten in races (more often than not) in first part of the season and from 2nd part he's beaten in Quali (more often than not) as well.

Let's see what happens - just as it happened with Nick many say that Kova is past it and loosing speed. I don't think that Heikki is any slower than he was. I think that it's just Vitaly after adaptation time in new team/new car was over started to show his potential.

#1971 Ikory

Ikory

• 5 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 19:58

Vitaly destroyed Nick's career. I think Heikii next.

Vitaly has showed his speed among good drivers and has nothing to proof. He will always have a brand of rent-driver. It will be very hard to change it in eyes of society.

#1972 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 20:31

Vitaly destroyed Nick's career. I think Heikii next.

Vitaly has showed his speed among good drivers and has nothing to proof. He will always have a brand of rent-driver. It will be very hard to change it in eyes of society.

Guilty as charged :blush:

I didn't rate Vitaly at all and honestly thought he would get destroyed by Heikki this season but in the second half of the season he's done a very, very good job. Shame if Heikki does lose out but, based on this year, i hope Vitaly sticks around too.

#1973 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 21:58

Kovalainen said they will use this chassis in 2013.. dear god. Windtunnel still absolute mess too

#1974 VARGR

VARGR

• 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:38

Guilty as charged :blush:

I didn't rate Vitaly at all and honestly thought he would get destroyed by Heikki this season but in the second half of the season he's done a very, very good job. Shame if Heikki does lose out but, based on this year, i hope Vitaly sticks around too.

Well for Petrov it seems a possibility that he may go to Marussia f1 as although the team would prefer a pay driver that have been under pressure to obtain a Russian driver since its a Russian owned team and a Russian GP is coming up in the next year or two

#1975 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:41

Well for Petrov it seems a possibility that he may go to Marussia f1 as although the team would prefer a pay driver that have been under pressure to obtain a Russian driver since its a Russian owned team and a Russian GP is coming up in the next year or two

Can't see that happening, Timo has a contract and is a bloody goos driver who Marussia love and Max Chilton has the other seat sewn up due to his dad having a stake in the team or something like that anyway!

#1976 VARGR

VARGR

• 22 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 22:52

Can't see that happening, Timo has a contract and is a bloody goos driver who Marussia love and Max Chilton has the other seat sewn up due to his dad having a stake in the team or something like that anyway!

Well Glock won't be leaving I fully expect, but I'm not sure if Chilton is confirmed yet. Its probable they will go with the pay driver but from what I've read they have a bit of an interest on Petrov also. Petrov is deffinately the far less likely to obtain it I expect also, though it basicly seems to be his last chance to to stay in the sport as no one else will take him.

#1977 Red17

Red17

• 3,306 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:46

Petrov saves the day!

edit: Everyone brace yourselfs for troll invasion. I am also expecting to see someone eat his hat.

Edited by Red17, 25 November 2012 - 17:46.

#1978 Starish

Starish

• 985 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:47

PeTROV!!

#1979 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:47

Brazil GP.

Just WOW ! We've stolen 10th from Marussia !!

Super job, Petrov. Heikki did really well to control Glock.

Advertisement

#1980 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 674 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:49

Congrats to Caterham. They do deserve the 10th place.

#1981 Saturnus

Saturnus

• 282 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:54

Well done by Petrov and I hope they keep him.
He is better than Kovalainen so unless they change both drivers then Petrov should stay on.

Marussia must feel robbed, but overall Caterham deserved 10th this season.

#1982 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:56

tonyfernandes:
We have done it. We have done it. We have have done it. Came 11th and got back to 10th. Worth a lot of money to ... http://t.co/yY5KzMWZ

#1983 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 807 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 17:58

Well done by Petrov and I hope they keep him.
He is better than Kovalainen so unless they change both drivers then Petrov should stay on.

Same here, why are the commentators saying Petrov finishing 11th could secure Kovalainen's future next year? Surely logic would dictate it secures Petrov's, as he's done the business for Caterham.

#1984 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:01

I dont think it secures anything for Petrov nor Kovalainen. The tactics were again horrible but they got lucky

It will be Van Der Garde anyway..

Edited by tarmac, 25 November 2012 - 18:01.

#1985 Red17

Red17

• 3,306 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:15

The tactics were again horrible but they got lucky

Tactics were fine today. Heiki on same strategy as Glock, Petrov on Pic. I suspect Marussia was exactly on the same strategy.
The issue was that Petrov did that massive mistake that could have been costly while he was ahead of Pic, from then on it was all recovery work from Petrov. TV even showed the pass on replay.

#1986 TheUltimateWorrier

TheUltimateWorrier

• 807 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:16

It will be Van Der Garde anyway..

Not so sure about that. Giedo was only put in FP1 after Singapore when it seemed Marussia would beat them. Now they've finished 10th, they won't have to rely on hiring a driver like Giedo just for the millions of sponsorship he brings.

Edited by TheUltimateWorrier, 25 November 2012 - 18:17.

#1987 Rentta

Rentta

• 290 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:20

Good job by petrov. Poor job with tactics. Heikkis race was ruined by bad pitstops and also 5 stops for kovalainen. Kovalainen was very strong in the beginning of the race.

#1988 levelord

levelord

• 78 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:31

That was a great race as it is always in Brazil. As Vitaly's compatriot i feel so happy for him, but not that much for Caterham. They don't deserve 10th place at all. Horrible strategy, 5 stops for Hekki wtf?

#1989 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,570 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 18:37

I don't know about the tactics but Pic letting Alonso through at the start of thr Reta Aposta just left the door open for Petrov. Pic should have kept his line and let alonso drive around him. If Petrov wanted to do the same let him risk it. Can't think Pic's going to be poupular in the Marussia garage.

#1990 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,597 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:14

I don't know about the tactics but Pic letting Alonso through at the start of thr Reta Aposta just left the door open for Petrov. Pic should have kept his line and let alonso drive around him. If Petrov wanted to do the same let him risk it. Can't think Pic's going to be poupular in the Marussia garage.

And why should he be? He's leaving for Caterham.

#1991 mjsv

mjsv

• 135 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:24

Tactics were fine today. Heiki on same strategy as Glock, Petrov on Pic. I suspect Marussia was exactly on the same strategy.
The issue was that Petrov did that massive mistake that could have been costly while he was ahead of Pic, from then on it was all recovery work from Petrov. TV even showed the pass on replay.

Actually tactics were all but fine today. Kovalainen said in an interview (for the Finnish MTV3) that every time the weather had changed he had asked to be taken in for a pitstop and the team just didn't let him do that. Kovalainen said that he had lost some time on every occasion.

Cheers,
mjsv

#1992 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:26

Great job by him today! He's had a very, very good season.

#1993 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 368 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 19:40

The issue was that Petrov did that massive mistake that could have been costly while he was ahead of Pic, from then on it was all recovery work from Petrov.

True, but Vitaly did recover.

His pass on Pic was probably worth more than his sponsorship.

I guess this could only help Oksana's negotiations, though there is not much sentiment in F1 of course.

Pic and Petrov had good races today.

#1994 Red17

Red17

• 3,306 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:02

Actually tactics were all but fine today. Kovalainen said in an interview (for the Finnish MTV3) that every time the weather had changed he had asked to be taken in for a pitstop and the team just didn't let him do that. Kovalainen said that he had lost some time on every occasion.

Cheers,
mjsv

I did not see the finish media interview, but both Petrov and Kova spoke to Sky (as well as a very tiny and relieved Riaat). Essentially, Petrov said «he» made the right calls and Heiki said he got unlucky in the stops, Petrov even dropped a joke about just having to use his KERS to overtake.

My take is that the team wanted Heiki to stay on a different strategy from Petrov, they were gambling. And to be honest the weather was unstable. Caterham really had nothing else to gain by having both cars on Pic when it was obvious Petrov was fast enough to hold Pic.

I understand Heiki and his fans being angry for Caterham doing this to him, he got the highest position in a race for Caterham , but it was obvious from Riaat's words that the team was in panic mode and trying to cover all bases. Petrov got the lucky number and Heiki got the boot.

It was also obvious from the body language that Heiki will not stay and that Petrov thinks he has done enough.

Speaking of that, newest rumour on the silly season thread speaks about Rubens and Caterham.

#1995 levelord

levelord

• 78 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:34

I did not see the finish media interview, but both Petrov and Kova spoke to Sky (as well as a very tiny and relieved Riaat). Essentially, Petrov said «he» made the right calls and Heiki said he got unlucky in the stops, Petrov even dropped a joke about just having to use his KERS to overtake.

My take is that the team wanted Heiki to stay on a different strategy from Petrov, they were gambling. And to be honest the weather was unstable. Caterham really had nothing else to gain by having both cars on Pic when it was obvious Petrov was fast enough to hold Pic.

I understand Heiki and his fans being angry for Caterham doing this to him, he got the highest position in a race for Caterham , but it was obvious from Riaat's words that the team was in panic mode and trying to cover all bases. Petrov got the lucky number and Heiki got the boot.

It was also obvious from the body language that Heiki will not stay and that Petrov thinks he has done enough.

Speaking of that, newest rumour on the silly season thread speaks about Rubens and Caterham.

1. Some say that in case of 10th in WCC, Tony promised to share a 10% of money with the guy who gets this place. Some say that even if Petrov gets 10th Heikki will stay and Vitaly out. And finally same rumors says that no one of today pilots will stay in any cases.
2. Same rumors says Rubens denied all these rumors :) Let old pal rot in US.

Edited by levelord, 25 November 2012 - 20:42.

#1996 Rosberg

Rosberg

• 217 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:44

Vitaly Petrov is a talented driver with a lot of money. Today, he has shown what he can do in tricky conditions and he does have a lot of competition for the last Caterham seat. If it was down to me, I'll keep Petrov in.

#1997 chris72

chris72

• 16 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:46

I followed their pitstops quite closely. Kovalainen got hit by bad tactics in every stop. In the first stop he was ahead of Petrov but Vitaly was called in first, Heikki drove extra lap on slicks which caused him around 10 seconds. Heikki closed the gap again but on the next stop they came in on the same lap and Heikki's pitstop was almost 15 seconds slower due that. On third stop he again was called lap later which meant another extra lap on wrong tires. He was actually faster than Vitaly most of the time and was able to close the gap after every stop. Finally there were two extra stops for him which Vitaly didn't do and that finally concluded Heikki's position. It seemed pretty bizarre tactic for him and no wonder he was a bit upset about it.

#1998 levelord

levelord

• 78 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:30

Vitaly Petrov is a talented driver with a lot of money. Today, he has shown what he can do in tricky conditions and he does have a lot of competition for the last Caterham seat. If it was down to me, I'll keep Petrov in.

He had shown that back in 2011 despite of terrible car under his ass and mindless strategy guys on pit wall. And no, he doesn't have that much money as Europeans use to think.

#1999 alexSun

alexSun

• 37 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:42

Very Strong job from Heikki and Perfect season from Vitaly (especially given the fact that he needed time for adjusting to unknown car in the early season). Vitaly won by race 10-7 (when both finished) and in the end of season won in Q.
P/S This pilots - are very very strongs!!!! If Vitaly and Heikki would be in Lotus or Ferrari (for example). This team would have won the Constructors Championship!
Congratulations to the team with the return of well-deserved 10th place.
Vitaly - talent! Remember these words!

Advertisement

#2000 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,844 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:56

Will they dare fire Vitaly now? :p