Caterham F1 - 2012

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2169 replies to this topic

#201 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 16:38

MikeGascoyne Mike Gascoyne
Great week. Renaming as Caterham F1 Team on Tuesday and today our first chassis, CT-01 passes all FIA homologation test. well done all

Advertisement

#202 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 16:40

Shame it will be dog slow.

#203 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,755 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 16:46

I will give them the benefit of doubt. They could step forward next season, they have a decent structure and workforce, with the blown diffusor thingy banned, it could help them to develop somewhat I presume.

#204 Red17

Red17

• 3,447 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 17:24

I will give them the benefit of doubt. They could step forward next season, they have a decent structure and workforce, with the blown diffusor thingy banned, it could help them to develop somewhat I presume.

It will depend a lot on how many gremlins from this year (trulli steering, tyre temperature, etc) are carried over and how many new ones show up.

But given Mike's tweet it looks like construction may be over sooner than last year, so more time for checking things. The team really needs to have the car ready for running at 100% on the first test and get as much data as possible. I forsee that the critical point will be the gap of Pre-Season testing 1 to Pre-Season Testing 2. If they manage to fix most problems from the first testing then I think they can set their sights up.

Im also curious to see if the CT-01 will indeed be a son of the 128 or a new take on the Force India. You can never trust PR talk too much.

#205 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 17:35

Bravo team!
crashtest OK!

#206 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 17:44

Don't be so sure about that... a lot of money has gone into this car and the infrastructure to design and build, stuff that wasn't completely there for the 2011 car. I think they'll be pushing the guys above them.

#207 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 18:11

You based that on what? Not on rationality for sure!

They are a team which started from scratch and making progress in every year.

At the end of the season they were off by only a couple of tenths from the established teams, without KERS!

If they'll keep it up, next year they will mix it with the midfield. I think especially the Red Bull Rookie Racing will be a good target for them.

Edited by hunnylander, 16 December 2011 - 18:12.

#208 phil1993

phil1993

• 1,933 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 18:12

If Mike Gascoyne stops acting as the Met Office's F1 representative they could do well.

#209 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 1,806 posts

That's not the point.
The problem is not the whole «Caterham F1 Team», it's the fact that they are using that long lettering as a badge as well.
As for the nose, most teams opt for the lettering mostly because it a lot more simple. But this year's Renault only sported a «Renault» no F1.

The logo on the nose is of the constructor, not of the team - hence Ferrari having the prancing horse on the nose, not the Marlboro chevron design. Funnily enough the only team to not do this last year was Team Lotus (as tweeted about several times by Peter Windsor).

#210 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Will they be consistent point scorers ? No, thats very ambitious... But will they be challenging the mid field? Well if not then there is only disappointment. They have to be at least on par with the teams fighting for the back end of the top 12.

#211 F1ultimate

F1ultimate

• 2,936 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 19:58

Next years midfield drivers are very strong, in cars that will certainly be good. For Caterham to squabble for 11th and 12th they will need a damn good car because they will be rubbing shoulders with some darn co putative drivers. I

#212 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 20:22

The logo on the nose is of the constructor, not of the team - hence Ferrari having the prancing horse on the nose, not the Marlboro chevron design. Funnily enough the only team to not do this last year was Team Lotus (as tweeted about several times by Peter Windsor).

They didn't?

Posted Image

Renault tried to imply that the giant Lotus logo on the nose was because the car was a Lotus, but if you look carefully, they had to put a Renault 'badge' (it was just lettering) in front of it, as the regulations state the constructors logo has to be the first thing on the tip of the nose.

Posted Image

#213 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 20:34

CT-01 passes all FIA homologation test today, are they the first of the teams or is it that not everyone announces these things?

#214 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,915 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 20:43

CT-01 passes all FIA homologation test today, are they the first of the teams or is it that not everyone announces these things?

Usually we only hear (from other sources) if there's a problem, but I think they might be earlier than most so that becomes worth shouting about!?!

like the Williams story says on Autosport

"The first chassis is completed with a second one not far behind, and we'll shortly start our FIA crash test programme, and all of those tests have been passed already in private testing.

so not everyone finishes the tub this early...

Also, apologies for the MASSIVE photos above, I didn't realise they'd be THAT big :p

Edited by DanardiF1, 16 December 2011 - 20:43.

#215 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 20:51

Usually we only hear (from other sources) if there's a problem, but I think they might be earlier than most so that becomes worth shouting about!?!

like the Williams story says on Autosport so not everyone finishes the tub this early...

:up:
thanks

#216 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,351 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 22:02

A good sign. They have momentum heading into 2012, and I'd love to see them scoring points. As much as I believe that Jarno has been underrated for his whole career, I'd like to see him replaced with a better developmental driver... either that or I'm just being sentimental and want Rubens to have that 20th season.

#217 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,001 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 22:59

I wonder if the rather underwhelming new logo and the retention of the green and yellow livery are because Tony F still regards Lotus as unfinished business. Might he still be harbouring ambitions to take over if Proton & the Malaysian Government lose patience with Dany Bahar?

Edited by Amphicar, 16 December 2011 - 23:00.

#218 ferruccio

ferruccio

• 446 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:15

It's the latter. Other teams don't bother and I suspect what they actually passed was the test for the tub which I think is an evolution of last season's tub and so quite confidently should pass. Usually it is things like front nose impact tests thats a little more critical because they usually tend to get redesigned each year. I know for the T128 pre-season test early this year it didn't go so smoothly and they were under time pressure to get it passed on time. Naturally they did not tweet "T128 new nose cone passed crash test today.. very late but just in time" :)

Of course I could be wrong and they did pass ALL the tests - the various tub squeeze tests, rear structure test, front nose cone test etc

Edited by ferruccio, 17 December 2011 - 07:18.

#219 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 1,806 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:41

They didn't?

Yes they didn't. They had a Team Lotus roundel on the nose, whereas the constructor name was Lotus. But TL didn't own the Lotus roundel rights so used the Team Lotus one - which they did every year post 1986 GM buyout - apart from 1991 when Group Lotus sponsored them. It's a bit of an anomaly.

Advertisement

#220 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:13

A good sign. They have momentum heading into 2012, and I'd love to see them scoring points. As much as I believe that Jarno has been underrated for his whole career, I'd like to see him replaced with a better developmental driver... either that or I'm just being sentimental and want Rubens to have that 20th season.

Jarno can only be getting slower and whingier now. Surely Sutil would be a better bet if they can manage it.

I'm expecting a big step with the car - Mark Smith and the ex-FI people and the Williams windtunnel.

#221 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,001 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:17

Jarno can only be getting slower and whingier now. Surely Sutil would be a better bet if they can manage it.

I'm expecting a big step with the car - Mark Smith and the ex-FI people and the Williams windtunnel.

Let's hope they make better use of it than Williams have in recent years!

#222 Matt Somers

Matt Somers

• 558 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:38

I wonder if the rather underwhelming new logo and the retention of the green and yellow livery are because Tony F still regards Lotus as unfinished business. Might he still be harbouring ambitions to take over if Proton & the Malaysian Government lose patience with Dany Bahar?

I too have mentioned this before, Tony has the upper hand IMO as far as I can tell still owns the rights to TL and has simply come to an understanding with GL that he will lay the brand dormant which is also good for Tony as he can promote Caterham. If/When Tony takes over at Lotus he will hold all the cards and be able to decide if he prefers to stay as Caterham or return as TL. He could also buy out Genii capital's Lotus shares and run as both.

On the Trulli subject I have never been a massive fan of Jarno but to me the only sensible alternative as a replacement to Jarno would be Petrov, he not only brings money to the table, he is used to the Renault power plant and would give Caterham a push into Russia as a commercial vehicle for selling '7's' etc

#223 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 13:17

Let's hope they make better use of it than Williams have in recent years!

lol yeah well from Coughlan's comments the Williams kit is fine, it's their processes that were all at sea. Williams will have to improve to fend off Caterham I wouldn't be surprised.

#224 69dude

69dude

• 33 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 14:10

This would be a great time to drop Trulli.
He clearly isn´t interested driving in the bottom of the pack. They should TRY to hire Sutil,much younger and hungrier.

Edited by 69dude, 17 December 2011 - 14:24.

#225 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 15:17

This would be a great time to drop Trulli.
He clearly isn´t interested driving in the bottom of the pack. They should TRY to hire Sutil,much younger and hungrier.

Sutil is suddernly a none sense, as he is reported tobe interested in becoming the Ferrari driver after Massa, meaning he will be cruising also at the Caterham. While Kimi, Webber, Hamilton, Nico and KUBICA all are potentially connected to the post Massa seat I have no idea how Sutil could think that his lazy drive can get a Ferrari seat, or Williams, Caterham.

You might be right that Trulli is not interested in driving at the back of the field, if it is the case give the young star the chance....?

#226 69dude

69dude

• 33 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 18:54

Sutil is suddernly a none sense, as he is reported tobe interested in becoming the Ferrari driver after Massa, meaning he will be cruising also at the Caterham. While Kimi, Webber, Hamilton, Nico and KUBICA all are potentially connected to the post Massa seat I have no idea how Sutil could think that his lazy drive can get a Ferrari seat, or Williams, Caterham.

You might be right that Trulli is not interested in driving at the back of the field, if it is the case give the young star the chance....?

My quess is they will replace Trulli with with someone like Petrov, who brings shitloads of money :drunk:

#227 VARGR

VARGR

• 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 20:38

Any news on whether Caterham have moved from Hingham to another facility yet?

#228 Red17

Red17

• 3,447 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 21:07

The team will not abandon Hingham.

The latest hint of a plan was to keep manufacturing at Hingham but move part of the team closer to Silverstone (to attract more people it seems).
The candidate building seems to be the former Super Aguri HQ, but it makes little sense because that building is rumoured not be be big enough.

Personally I think they should stay in Norfolk.

#229 Amphicar

Amphicar

• 2,001 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 21:35

According to James Allen three days ago:

"Fernandes plans to move the road car production facilities and F1 facilities under the same roof in Leafield, Oxfordshire. The F1 team will move there during the early season flyaway races of 2012."

http://www.jamesalle...otus-adventure/

#230 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 22:42

I too have mentioned this before, Tony has the upper hand IMO as far as I can tell still owns the rights to TL and has simply come to an understanding with GL that he will lay the brand dormant which is also good for Tony as he can promote Caterham. If/When Tony takes over at Lotus he will hold all the cards and be able to decide if he prefers to stay as Caterham or return as TL. He could also buy out Genii capital's Lotus shares and run as both.

The rights to Team Lotus have been sold to Group Lotus.

Edit:
"Proton, Group Lotus, 1Malaysia Racing Team and its owner Tony Fernandes are delighted to announce that the legal dispute in the English Courts relating to the "LOTUS" and "TEAM LOTUS" brands has now ended amicably with the parties agreeing settlement terms earlier this month.

The terms of the settlement are confidential but the deal sees the "LOTUS" brand reunited under the sole ownership of Group Lotus. This includes the rights to the "LOTUS" and "TEAM LOTUS" names in Formula 1 motor racing."

http://www.lotuscars...t-press-release

The team will not abandon Hingham.

The latest hint of a plan was to keep manufacturing at Hingham but move part of the team closer to Silverstone (to attract more people it seems).
The candidate building seems to be the former Super Aguri HQ, but it makes little sense because that building is rumoured not be be big enough.

Personally I think they should stay in Norfolk.

With both the F1 and GP2 based at Hingham it will be a tight squeeze. Caterham GP2 will likely stay in Hingham though.

Edited by peacockantony, 17 December 2011 - 22:43.

#231 TheStealth

TheStealth

• 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 18:09

The final Team Lotus Notes signs off with what presumably is the Caterham logo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

:blush:

#232 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 18:18

Posted Image

:blush:

did you design this one?

#233 TheStealth

TheStealth

• 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 18:32

did you design this one?

yes I did... :)

#234 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 18:37

its 100 times better than what they actually used

#235 TheStealth

TheStealth

• 3 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 19:18

its 100 times better than what they actually used

thank you...  ;)

but for me, the Caterham new logo not bad either...
simple and look "racingly" great

#236 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:08

i read this headline "Truilli:Caterham is ready to score points" bullshit . truilli , you are not yet confirmed for 2012 :D:D

#237 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:40

i read this headline "Truilli:Caterham is ready to score points" bullshit . truilli , you are not yet confirmed for 2012 :D:D

I think you will find that Trulli has been confirmed for 2012. He was published on the official 2012 drivers list, (Ahead of Heikki BTW as he beat him in the WDC).

#238 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:51

Yup, red T-bar for Jarno in 2012. I hope he comes to peace with the car.

#239 spaceace

spaceace

• 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:53

Yup, red T-bar for Jarno in 2012. I hope he comes to peace with the car.

:up:

But he really need to shine next season regardless how the 2012 car suits him or not. There might be a chance we will see some changes during next season if he's not getting rid of his string of "bad luck" and upping his pace/stability.

Advertisement

#240 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:32

I read the headline and thought Bullshit, because they've said the same thing every year since they got into F1.

#241 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 13:14

I read the headline and thought Bullshit, because they've said the same thing every year since they got into F1.

every year after the seasons ends , the teams who came 1st say we will even stronger next year , teams who came 2nd and 3rd we will win the championship next year,4th and 5th teams say we will definitely win some races next year, rest of teams say we will definitely score points regularly . its F1 my love

#242 mprtc

mprtc

• 249 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:26

the big question

WHO IS GOING TO PAY THAT EXTRA 1 DOLLAR TO CATERHAM ??? WHO WILL BE THAT LUCKY GUY ???

#243 davemsc

davemsc

• 44 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 13:23

the big question

WHO IS GOING TO PAY THAT EXTRA 1 DOLLAR TO CATERHAM ??? WHO WILL BE THAT LUCKY GUY ???

WTF? :drunk:

#244 silencer

silencer

• 85 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 15:37

every team set their target as high as they seem possible; nothing bullshit about that only Toro Rosso have set their target not to become a champion.. ever :lol:

#245 mprtc

mprtc

• 249 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 18:43

WTF? :drunk:

answer it :blush:

#246 awizul

awizul

• 64 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 15:57

CT01 FW preview..

Posted Image

#247 dau

dau

• 4,578 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 16:16

CT01 FW preview..

Posted Image

It's green. And yellow. And made out of CFRP. They should just release pics like last year. I don't even know what part of the FW that is supposed to be.

#248 depailler on tyrrell p34

depailler on tyrrell p34

• 310 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 16:22

It's green. And yellow. And made out of CFRP. They should just release pics like last year. I don't even know what part of the FW that is supposed to be.

@MyCaterhamF1
Busy day at our HQ. Here’s a sneak preview of our very first 2012 front wing... Can't show too much ;-)

#249 mechadaniel

mechadaniel

• 745 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 17:36

It's green. And yellow. And made out of CFRP.

Well, at least it should stop people posting on this thread that the car will be white/orange.

And good news today about ART GP2/GP3 re-branding as Lotus GP and switching to Black/Gold.

daniel

#250 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 20:55

Well, at least it should stop people posting on this thread that the car will be white/orange.

And good news today about ART GP2/GP3 re-branding as Lotus GP and switching to Black/Gold.

daniel

When it stopped being Team Lotus and became Caterham,.... what is more logical; to remain green to go for another scheme?
I kinda like to say that I am more confused and a little bit less enthusiastic about the recent move of the team.

[edit] spell

Edited by One, 10 January 2012 - 20:56.