Photo

Loooking for 1/24 or 1/25 Talbot (bullet style) mirrors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 22:10

I'm hoping someone can help me out in either pointing me to a source of these to purchase, or if I can find just one I can recast. A friend of mine and I are playing with our 1/24 scale Danbury Mint 007 Aston Martin diecast models, and want to replace the original fender mirrors. The rest of the model is done nicely, but for some reason they totally got the mirrors wrong. Here a photo of what they look like. These were on all sorts of race cars and exotic street cars back in the 60's, so hopefully there are some out there.

Thanks!

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:22

This type of mirror was included in the Tamiya 1/20th Williams FW07 kit - may be some help?

#3 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 19:40

Hamish,

Thank you, I'll look for one of those, or ask if anyone has any spare parts from that kit.

#4 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,699 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 19:19

Why not write to Danbury telling them that their quality control must be at fault as your car has been accidentally fitted with the wrong mirrors, explaining by enclosing photos of what you have and what they should be. The implication being that they would have done their research and would not get the model wrong. Ask them to send you the correct ones, which you will be happy to fit yourself. It might embarass them into producing or sourcing a pair of the correct ones. (I know - it is a pig that I can see flying by!). Even if it doesn't bear fruit you will at least have the satisfaction of rattling their cage.

#5 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 19:31

Duncan,

An interesting idea. I would have done this except for the fact that this model was released about 14 years go. Even with newly released models from most of the large manufacturers, this would have been an atypical expectation. The only companies I've known might do this are GMP (now gone) and True Scale Miniatures.

I was a surprising mistake that I'm surprised others didn't say much about. Fortunately, it should be an easy one to fix. The other thing we are planning is replacing the plastic injection-molded wheels with proper Borrani photo-etched centered wheels. Artwork has been made, and hope to make a few sets soon.

Edited by Cam2InfoNeeded, 03 December 2011 - 19:35.

#6 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:59

Remember such high-detail wire wheels are already out there, for example:

http://www.hiroboy.c...roducts_id=2074

Other good retailers to try are Hobbylink Japan, Grand Prix Models, Hobby Search, Mediamix Hobby, Domino...

#7 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:00

Hamish,

The image of those wheels on the Hiroboy website only shows the parts, not the assembled wheels. I've been looking at every set of 1/24 scale Boranni wheels I can find, and they all compromise the way the spokes look(assemble). The first 2 photos are of the original Boranni wheel used on the full-size Goldfinger DB5...

Posted Image

Notice how the spokes go from the front of the spindle to the center of the wheel, and how the ones from the rear and go to the front of the rim (interlacing). On every p/e set I've seen the don't bother to interlace the spokes, but rather compromise and have all of the spoke either meet together at the center of the front rim like the third photo (on the right)...
Posted Image

or they are built in 2 layers, but still not interlacing...
Posted Image

If you know of any particular 1/24 Borrani wheel that do interlace and are 3D like in my first photo of the actual car, I'd be very interested in seeing them (and of course who makes them available).

I picked up some 3/4' aluminum rod stock today, and will start working with a set of p/e pieces that a friend has found which I will modify to allow them to interlace and hopefully give proper 3D effect. These p/e spokes at least have the proper number of spokes to start from. If these work, I don't have to go to the expensive of having my artwork turned into p/e parts, since I only need one set (and a set for my friend).

#8 Cam2InfoNeeded

Cam2InfoNeeded

• 206 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 18:59

At another forums suggestion, I checked out the Carrera 1/24 slot car spare parts kits they make (basically things that might be expected to get knocked off a slot car while racing it). They had a item for their Porsche Carrera 6 which had a windshield wiper and a pair of great Talbot styled mirrors already chrome plated.

I'm just getting around to starting to create my Boranni's, and will post photos here when I'm done.

Merry Christmas.