• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stephen W

Stephen W

• 15,584 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:32

Please consider signing this petition:

Rolling 25 Years Free Road Fund Tax

The objective is to make the Free Road Fund Tax a rolling 25 years rather than being only for cars built prior to 1973.

Thanks.

:wave:

Advertisement

#2 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:59

Please consider signing this petition:

Rolling 25 Years Free Road Fund Tax

The objective is to make the Free Road Fund Tax a rolling 25 years rather than being only for cars built prior to 1973.

Thanks.

:wave:

I've added my name. I think this was the original intention of the tax-exempt status idea anyway. But those two notorious highwaymen Phoney Tony and Gordon The Mo*on promptly froze it as soon as they had the chance. ):

#3 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,804 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:05

I would sign it but ... It would need to be linked to no restriction on vehcile usage (as it was when introduced and continues to be for pre-1973, tax-free vehicles). The lovely persons in Brussels are allegedly itching to restrict the use of older vehicles to a few days a year (usual flimsy grounds of such vehicles allegedly having higher emission levels and lower safety levels) and the way this petition is currently worded invites such a 'quid pro quo'. Nice though it would be to have a free tax disk for my 1977 Land Rover ...

#4 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 15:23

Yes when it first came in we worriers did feel it was only a matter of time before restricted usage would be the quid pro quo. That spectre at the feast is back again with the proposal to exempt our cars from the annual MoT test.
The zero road tax can at least be countered by the fact that we have vehicles that use heavily taxed fuel - provided we don't make too much of the rate of useage some of our vehicles have, lest the green terrorists have a go at us.

Edited by Allan Lupton, 07 December 2011 - 15:24.

#5 RTH

RTH

• 6,066 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 16:47

This was a Conservative pre-election pledge in 2006. Did not hear it in 2010

It was a rolling 25 year rule before Gordon Brown stopped it....frozen at 31st Dec 1972

Recent trade talk that the proposal will be in the form of a rolling 30 year rule if at all.

As Allan says there is a current proposal before government to abolish MOT tests for cars 1st reg before 1960.
Also government wants to change MOT requirement to after first 4 years from new and every 2 years thereafter, but there is huge objection from the trade, the tyre industry and road safety campaigners, seems unlikely the later will come to pass it has repeatedly been kicked in to the long grass, yet again just recently.

#6 Blackdog

Blackdog

• 166 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 17:21

I've added my name. I think this was the original intention of the tax-exempt status idea anyway. But those two notorious highwaymen Phoney Tony and Gordon The Mo*on promptly froze it as soon as they had the chance. ):

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling that it was Ken Clarke who scrapped the exemption in his 1997 budget.

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,606 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 18:04

This article indicates that the rolling 25 year tax exemption was removed by Gordon Brown in Labour's first full budget in March 1998:

http://www.independe...ve-1153159.html

#8 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 4,052 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 20:24

I hate to say it, but I have a feeling that it was Ken Clarke who scrapped the exemption in his 1997 budget.

Dear Mr Dog (or may I call you Black?)
You should hate to say it because it isn't right.
It was part of the New Labour raft of anti-motoring taxation which showed how little Mr Brown and his advisors understood what they were doing.

#9 h4887

h4887

• 936 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 20:38

Not everyone thinks this is a good idea at the moment: scroll a little way down this FHBVC newsletter
http://fbhvc.co.uk/2...tter-no-5-2011/

#10 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 20:47

I see people have been moaning at Boris Johnson for driving a 16 year old car (pollution, noise, blah blah blah...) utterly missing the fact he's using up far less of the world's resources in doing so, than if he had bought a new one(or several there of).

Sorry, OT there.

Edited by simonlewisbooks, 07 December 2011 - 20:58.

#11 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 4,029 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 21:27

Fools rush in... etc.

Side-stepping the politics (let's keep that crock o' shite off this forum, please), the savvy-folks at the VSCC are warning against supporting the proposed scrapping of MoT testing for older vehicles because of the hidden EU agenda, this looks like the second notch on the wedge (?). :rolleyes:

#12 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 860 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:17

I suspect the VSCC are protecting their own interests as they always have done! A very insular organisation. LOL
Actually if it is an EU agenda that is another good reason to vote UKIP!

#13 Blackdog

Blackdog

• 166 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:54

This article indicates that the rolling 25 year tax exemption was removed by Gordon Brown in Labour's first full budget in March 1998:

http://www.independe...ve-1153159.html

I stand corrected.

I thought that he said in his 1997 budget that it was only ever meant as a temporary measure. Old age I guess !