Posted 21 September 2012 - 18:03

Posted Image
Mr and Mrs by christopha 200, on Flickr

#503 JBaxter

JBaxter

• 28 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 18:05

Posted Image

Does anybody recognise the chap in the hat on the left being interviewed ?

Answers maybe credited and used in a forth coming blog.

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.

He looks like Spike Miligan. The HWM driver (not the comic!)

Fabulous thread - the pictures are STUNNING! Especially Sir Stirling Moss and Susie. Absolutely fabulous.
I thought tinted visors were not allowed in motorsport?
They look AWFUL in historic meetings.

Edited by JBaxter, 21 September 2012 - 19:37.

#504 driverider

driverider

• 179 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 18:56

Fabulous thread - the pictures are STUNNING!

Not Spike I don't think

Guess visors are a matter of personal preference - tinted visors are the norm in F1 so must be legal

I have worn tinted visors for more than 35 years racing bikes and cars when appropriate for conditions - I think a tinted visor looks a lot better than a clear visor with sunglasses

#505 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,701 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 19:31

Fabulous thread - the pictures are STUNNING!

Must use a lot of L'Oreal anti aging cream if this is the racing driver Spike your referring too :lol:

But thanks to you and everyone else for throwing in suggestions :up:

#506 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,132 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 21:31

As a late addition, some happy snaps from my 53-year-old Leica M2 and lenses of similar vintage, some Fuji Velvia well past its 'eat by' date (though stored in a a fridge), and equally superannuated snapper.

I liked this Ferrari's bug deflector:

Posted Image

Maserati before some tyres modified it:

Posted Image

This Bugatti becomes even more 'patinated' each time I see it, but always goes well:

Posted Image

I remember being told you really can drive in shoes like that (shortly before the impact):

Posted Image

P25s poised for action:

Posted Image

While in the red corner:

Posted Image

Stuart Rolt's P99 receives some fettling:

Posted Image

A new approach to Austin rollerskate aerodynamics:

Posted Image

Too shapely to risk?

Posted Image

Clandestine V8 transplant?

Posted Image

#507 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,178 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:52

great photos,I often use a Leica M3 ,one family owner since new. :up:

#508 P0wderf1nger

P0wderf1nger

• 315 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:26

Brits can see Revival TV highlights on:
ITV 4: Thursday 27 September at 20:00
ITV4: Friday 28 September at 19:00
ITV 1: Wednesday 3 October at 00:05

#509 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,868 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:28

Can anyone remember seeing John Surtees in a peakless helmet before? :

Posted Image

#510 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,701 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:41

Can anyone remember seeing John Surtees in a peakless helmet before? :

Posted Image

Only when riding on two wheels :wave:

#511 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,868 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:52

Yes but that's not a crash helmet, it's one of his Mum's pudding basins.

#512 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,234 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:00

Yes but that's not a crash helmet, it's one of his Mum's pudding basins.

Stiff peaks ?

#513 W154

W154

• 337 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:04

Posted Image

Does anybody recognise the chap in the hat on the left being interviewed ?

Answers maybe credited and used in a forth coming blog.

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.

Could almost bet the left jatz cracker that it is Anthony Howell who played the part of the police sergeant assistant to DCS Foyle (Michael Kitchen) in the World War 2 TV series" Foyles War". The eyes, the nose, the hat all look very familiar but he wore a brown coat in the TV series(?)

#514 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:46

I'm sure I saw this bloke on one of the videos on the web - but can't find it now :mad:

It's not one of the people who have been mentioned

#515 Pat Clarke

Pat Clarke

• 2,027 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:59

Let's hope she wasn't a little town flirt.

No Tony, that was Larry's girlfriend. He's the one who rendered me hatless. See how pi**ed off he looks!

Pat

#516 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 14:59

Brits can see Revival TV highlights on:
ITV 4: Thursday 27 September at 20:00
ITV4: Friday 28 September at 19:00
ITV 1: Wednesday 3 October at 00:05

And for those with access to Sky Sports F1 there is also a feature during the current F1 Show. Broadcast is on now, but the feature hasn't yet aired. Repeated again at 2100BST. Just caught a glimpse of a certain bearded historian in the trailer for it ...

edit: Just five minutes, unfortunately, at approximately 45 minutes in. Brief interviews with Dan the Man, Il Grande John, Muddly Talker, Brundle, Horner and a couple of others. Even briefer action, but at least they used Cream's "I Feel Free" as a backing track. :up:

Edited by Vitesse2, 22 September 2012 - 15:42.

#517 remus

remus

• 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:40

Posted Image
Silver Arrow '12 No22 by christopha 200, on Flickr

#518 remus

remus

• 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:40

Posted Image
Silver Arrow '12 No21 by christopha 200, on Flickr

#519 remus

remus

• 70 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:41

Posted Image
Silver Arrow '12 No12 by christopha 200, on Flickr

Advertisement

#520 Macca

Macca

• 3,342 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:48

Interesting that the two Hurricanes have different camouflage patterns - I thought there was a standard scheme. Anyway, here are some more aircraft shots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The last one being the flypast during the Gurney tribute.

Paul M

Edited by Macca, 22 September 2012 - 20:49.

#521 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 22:14

Interesting that the two Hurricanes have different camouflage patterns - I thought there was a standard scheme.

Paul M

Two, described here as mirror images: scroll down to Dom Skelton's post of 23 Aug 2009 7:30 pm PST for links to illustrations.

http://theminiatures...sg.mv?id=177568

#522 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:07

Silver Arrow '12 No12 by christopha 200, on Flickr

Question: why the full-face helmets?

They do not appear to be mandatory for demo runs (Tony Brooks wore his period brown Herbert Johnson, and Dan just wore a hat, in the Dan Gurney parade; JYS wore an open face helmet: do they, like SCM, have special permissions?). Personal choice? Goodwood requirement? Regulatory authority insistence? I realise that in period the drivers would have worn cloth or leather headgear, so I suppose that once you move away from that, authenticity is already out the window, so the look is academic anyway. But it would have been nice to see the drivers - and indeed there have been many questions on the thread asking who they were.

#523 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:18

Two, described here as mirror images: scroll down to Dom Skelton's post of 23 Aug 2009 7:30 pm PST for links to illustrations.

http://theminiatures...sg.mv?id=177568

What a gorgeous forum! I particularly enjoyed the reference to those two noted historians, 'Messrs Bunkum and Claptrap'. Thanks for the link.

#524 David Lawson

David Lawson

• 871 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:41

They do not appear to be mandatory for demo runs (Tony Brooks wore his period brown Herbert Johnson, and Dan just wore a hat, in the Dan Gurney parade; JYS wore an open face helmet: do they, like SCM, have special permissions?). Personal choice? Goodwood requirement? Regulatory authority insistence? I realise that in period the drivers would have worn cloth or leather headgear, so I suppose that once you move away from that, authenticity is already out the window, so the look is academic anyway. But it would have been nice to see the drivers - and indeed there have been many questions on the thread asking who they were.

I was a little disappointed with the helmets worn during the MB AU demonstrations, particularly when you consider the trouble they went to with the paddock setting and the mechanics clothing.

Posted Image
Although not a linen helmet, Tony Dron did look a little more in sympathy with the period when he demonstrated at Donington Park a couple of years ago.

David

#525 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,479 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:12

Interesting that the two Hurricanes have different camouflage patterns - I thought there was a standard scheme.

Camouflage varied according to theatre of operation, extreme examples being arctic and desert operations with varied amounts of brown & greenery in between...

#526 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 657 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:56

I was a little disappointed with the helmets worn during the MB AU demonstrations, particularly when you consider the trouble they went to with the paddock setting and the mechanics clothing.

If I was driving one of those cars, I would want a decent helmet on, and proper overalls, especially if I had originally been told I would be driving at race pace. They would have been an inobtrusive Bell number and immaculate white Nomex, but the proper kit nevertheless.

Away from motorsport, I play roller derby, which has made me more appreciative of helmets and protective gear. I've seen the injuries that come from hitting a wall on skates at 10mph - multiply that by 10 and you get "scary".

#527 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,701 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 16:16

Posted Image

As discussed in the Historic Monaco thread some months ago lets be glad the Silver Arrows were not running with roll over hoops, like Michael Steele in the 'Toothpaste Tube' Connaught C-type . On Friday Karl Wendlinger got quite squirrelly when an unexpected 400 hp kicked in on the rear wheels after some difficulty engaging gears, sending someone (?) in the works W 154 onto the grass on the exit of Lavant, so it would seem wise to take some safety precautions at even the most sedate speeds.

#528 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 17:35

I would just like to make it plain that this was simply a question: no more no less. No complaint, minnie-moan nor criticism was was implied nor should be inferred. Just fabulous to see the cars there at all.

I was very grateful for the opportunity to take this shot:

Posted Image

and this:
Posted Image

and then this

Posted Image[/URL

but while taking this

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/dsc04833i.jpg/]Posted Image

was ushered away by a burly gentleman in dark suit and bowler hat wearing a carnation and what appeared to be a large and rather obtrusive hearing aid. I did not wait to investigate his left armpit... but was sufficiently incommoded by the insistency of his request to forget to note which office belonged to which vehicle.

Answers on a postcard please...

#529 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,722 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:36

As discussed in the Historic Monaco thread some months ago lets be glad the Silver Arrows were not running with roll over hoops, like Michael Steele in the 'Toothpaste Tube' Connaught C-type .

To be fair, much as I dislike non-period roll-over bars on racing cars from a visual perspective, that roll hoop on Michael's Connaught probably saved him from a serious head/neck injury, or worse, when the car was mounted by an errant 250F at Monaco Historique in 2006, shortly after the roll hoop had been installed.

Antoine Pilette posted a photo of the incident on the Monaco Historique thread for that year, but it has long since disappeared.

Edited by Alan Cox, 23 September 2012 - 18:57.

#530 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,894 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 18:51

To be fair, much as I dislike non-period roll-over bars on racing cars from a visual perspective, that roll hoop on Michael's Connaught probably saved him from a serious head/neck injury, or worse, when the car was mounted by an errant 250F at Monaco Historique in 2006, shortly after the roll hoop had been installed.

I was about to post the same thing, Alan. I saw it happen, scary.

#531 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,701 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 19:55

Answers on a postcard please...

Posted Image[/URL

#6 Collier Collection W154

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26/dsc04833i.jpg/]Posted Image

#16 W 165

I'll let someone else do the difficult ones ;)

Like wise I'm not criticising Michael for his choice of saftey equipment, I have the utmost respect for anyone who steps into a racing car after scaring myself silly at Cadwell Park Racing School in a Formula First back in the eighties :eek:

Edited by arttidesco, 23 September 2012 - 20:37.

#532 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,528 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:23

Posted Image

and this:
Posted Image

These are both Auto Unions; the top photo is a Typ D and the second photo is the Typ C.

#533 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,004 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 21:31

Interesting that while the MB uses purpose built gauges the AU uses what appear to be aircraft gauges?
Lovely photos!

#534 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:43

Interesting that while the MB uses purpose built gauges the AU uses what appear to be aircraft gauges?
Lovely photos!

Thank you David. Taken with one hand using a Sony Cybershot (with apologies to all the real photographers) while clutching my walking stick with the other and trying not to fall over. Perhaps he thought I was an industrial spy.

This the engine room of the other Mercedes:

Posted Image

Edited by Mal9444, 24 September 2012 - 04:47.

#535 ktrhe

ktrhe

• 55 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 15:32

Just two more pics from the Revival
Posted Image

Posted Image

#536 Macca

Macca

• 3,342 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 16:08

A few random thoughts, not intended to be taken as criticisms - just things noticed compared to all the previous years.

I got there early on the Friday but the gates weren't opened so there was quite a crowd in the road - perhaps the actors were still learning their lines!

The feature inside the gate appeared to me to be harking back to 1964 in connection with the Gurney for President theme - on one side were East German border guards ('Vopo's') and opposite was a crashed Sputnik being guarded by US MPs, all very Cold War.

There was an enormous new corporate pavilion stretching from the chicane almost to Woodcote, full of suits with their backs to the action, all networking furiously. :down:

There were more races than ever, and less practise for them, so more cars than usual had to do bedding-in laps after repairs out-of-session or behind the course cars. Every time Goodwood add a new attraction they keep it in, like the scramblers out by Lavant - will there be another Settrington Cup next year now the regulars have spent so much money? The time pressure gets greater and greater.

While the Brooklands Trophy was a change and the St. Marys was a law unto itself as usual, a fair few of the races had the same old faces in the same cars. The combining of the Richmond and Gordon Trophies into one meant no room for early 1950s cars - strange not to have any Cooper-Bristol single-seaters present.

Likewise with the 1950s sports cars; where there were previously seperate races for World Championship cars and British national event cars, this year they were combined which meant a plethora of Listers and no 1.5 or 2-litre cars like Lotus XIs....

As well as being the 50th anniversaries of Dan Gurney's first GP win, the GTO and the Cobra, it's also 50 years since Graham Hill's first win and BRM's only championship which has been left to Bourne to celebrate in 2 weeks time.

(steps back and ducks beneath parapet while sorting a few more photos)

Paul M

#537 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,600 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 16:26

Posted Image

Ah, what memories of George Shepherd and UCE13.........
Roger Lund

edit. yes I know the Doc's car was white and a Mk1 and did not have a glitzy grill.

Edited by bradbury west, 24 September 2012 - 16:27.

#538 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 481 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:23

Posted Image
John Cleland, Stuart Graham, Vern Schuppan and some Elvis-era British Saloon Car Championship icons. Possibly.

Posted Image
Battle of Britain.

[.

While two of these cars look completely out of place, the Borgward is genuine enough. Remember Bill Blydenstein?

And as for the Lanc having anything to do with the summer of 1940, well...

Edited by doc knutsen, 24 September 2012 - 18:23.

#539 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:00

And as for the Lanc having anything to do with the summer of 1940, well...

IIRC the original Battle of Britain Memorial flight consisted of a Hurricane, a Spitfire and a Lancaster more as representatives of three iconic RAF aircraft of the whole conflict, rather than merely the period from June to October 1940 - the Lanc being a memorial to the many aircrew of Bomber Command - so long and oft neglected in so many other ways - who died. I am but a diletante in Spitfire recognition, as in so much else when compared with others on this forum, but it would by now be mere coincidence if either of the aircraft in the picture were in service in 1940. The Lanc first flew in that year (December, again IIRC) but did not enter service until 1941.

I should think it is many years since a genuine Battle of Britain aircraft flew in the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. The clue, I think, is in the fourth word of the title.

I guess - and I say this with the utmost respect - if one wanted a truly universal Battle of Britain Memorial flight one would have had, could one have been found at the time, a Hurri and a Spitfire flanking a Ju88, rather in the manner of the new Bomber Command memorial in Green (?) Park, which respects all who died in and as a result of that campaign, irrespective of cause or affiliation. Such a thought would have been anathema when the Flight was created and is probably too radical for many even now. If it offends anyone, I apologise and assure that neither offence nor disrespect is intended. Indeed the reverse.

Edited by Mal9444, 24 September 2012 - 19:15.

Advertisement

#540 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,077 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:00

Well, in the fifties outwardly normal Renault 4CVs ran in the Mille Miglia and at Le Mans. Hence the Coupe Bienniel roundel on the door. But nobody in their right mind would have raced a Metropolitan when the Riley 1.5 was available.

I'd not realised that the Lancaster didn't fly until 1941 or 1942!

Edited by D-Type, 24 September 2012 - 19:02.

#541 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:24

I'd not realised that the Lancaster didn't fly until 1941 or 1942!

Prototype, originally designated the Manchester MkIII, first flew 9 January 1941. The type entered service on Christmas Eve 1941, with 44 (Rhodesia) Squadron.

#542 mfd

mfd

• 2,895 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:25

I should think it is many years since a genuine Battle of Britain aircraft flew in the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight. The clue, I think, is in the fourth word of the title.

You're wrong. http://www.raf.mod.u...itfirep7350.cfm

#543 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 19:48

You're wrong. http://www.raf.mod.u...itfirep7350.cfm

I sit corrected.

#544 JBaxter

JBaxter

• 28 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 20:04

Fabulous thread - the pictures are STUNNING! Especially Sir Stirling Moss and Susie. Absolutely fabulous.

Perhaps its Klaus Reichert, Managing director Mercedes Benz Classic centre ????

#545 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,600 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 20:37

But nobody in their right mind would have raced a Metropolitan when the Riley 1.5 was available.

Especially as the originals had a 3 speed box with a column change ISTR
More info on the racer
http://www.cckhistor...mn-2012_web.pdf
Roger Lund

#546 nicanary

nicanary

• 451 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 20:55

More info on the racer
Roger Lund

I admit I'm a numpty when it comes to the finer points of historic racing, so please be gentle, but don't specific makes/models have to have some kind of FIA papers, whereby they can be shown to have raced/rallied in period? Was the Metropolitan used in competition at all?

#547 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,077 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 21:44

More info on the racer
Roger Lund

I think the opening sentences of the article say it all;

When the question was asked, “what would make the most ridiculous race car?” An answer swiftly came closely followed by the words, “I bet you can’t do it”. A challenge had been set from which we could not back down.

Whatever happened to authenticity?

nicanary, it's incredible what cars were homologated in period and it wouldn't surprise me if the Metropolitan was.

#548 LotusElise

LotusElise

• 657 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 21:52

The feature inside the gate appeared to me to be harking back to 1964 in connection with the Gurney for President theme - on one side were East German border guards ('Vopo's') and opposite was a crashed Sputnik being guarded by US MPs, all very Cold War.

Does anyone have a picture of the crashed Sputnik? I didn't see it - we came in by a different gate this year.

#549 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,701 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 21:56

Perhaps its Klaus Reichert, Managing director Mercedes Benz Classic centre ????

Bingo ! :clap: :up:

#550 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,701 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 22:00

I think the opening sentences of the article say it all;

Whatever happened to authenticity?

nicanary, it's incredible what cars were homologated in period and it wouldn't surprise me if the Metropolitan was.

Alice Fergusson certainly raced a Nash Metropolitan in 1954. Now if we could only find a photo of her driving it :smoking:

Edited by arttidesco, 24 September 2012 - 22:01.