Photo

Goodwood Revival 2012 - 14/16 September

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#551 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 22:41

Some close ups from inside the Bermgarten pits.

Posted Image

W25 cockpit.

Posted Image

W165 motor

Posted Image

and confirmation that the W165 is, what I believe they call in the auction room trade, a 'matching numbers' car.

Posted Image

Close as I could get to an Auto Union motor, D-type V12 I believe.

Advertisement

#552 Macca

Macca

• 3,326 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:53

Does anyone have a picture of the crashed Sputnik? I didn't see it - we came in by a different gate this year.

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Here are some of the cars that I hadn't seen before:

Posted Image
The incredibly low Maserati 151/3

Posted Image
Ferrari 206S c/n 018 lurking on a trade stand

Posted Image
I'd never heard of a Ginetta G10 but there were two there - Andrew Newall wearing away his wheelarch in practise

Posted Image
And the other one, which didn't run.

Posted Image
Obscure FJs, pt.1 - Lars-Goran Sjoberg in Dojores-Fiat (try saying that after a couple of drinks!)

Posted Image
Obscure FJs, pt.2 - Kevin Musson in Dolphin-Ford

Posted Image
ex-Jo Siffert Lotus 21/24-FPF

Posted Image
my Competitor of the Weekend - twice World Superbike Champion Troy Corser on a pre-war BMW; on a bike with no suspension worth a mention he was bucking and weaving and brushing the track with the cylinder head every lap, riding as hard as if he was trying to clinch the WC.

Posted Image
Pete Aron's Hertz rental GT350 from 'Grand Prix'

Posted Image
and Jean-Pierra Sarti with Scott Stoddard..........oops, wrong thread!

;)

Paul M

#553 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 140 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:16

Posted Image

It did one lap on Friday. I'd also never seen these.

The Dolphin FJ is a beauty.

Edited by Belmondo, 25 September 2012 - 09:17.

#554 ktrhe

ktrhe

• 52 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:43

I´m sorting my pictures from the Revival meeting. Today I was sort out the different Cars from the RAC TT Practice /Race.
On Saturday during the practice was running a silver Ferrari 250 GT with the #16
Posted Image

Sunday at the race it was a red Ferrari 250 GTO with the #16
Posted Image

Does anyone knows what was the reason why saturday was runnig a 250 GT? Did they had an accidant during Friday Practice? Or a differnt reason?
Thanks for your help in advance

#555 nicanary

nicanary

• 446 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:54

Alice Fergusson certainly raced a Nash Metropolitan in 1954. Now if we could only find a photo of her driving it :smoking:

That's about as tenuous a "qualification" as you can get! Since potential entrants are racking their brains trying to find an obscure-ish car that will appeal to the organisers, I looked up a couple of old programmes from 53/54 International Trophy meetings - how about an A40 Sports, naturally with a hardtop to comply with safety regs, or a Daimler Conquest.? Now that was some team - Reg Parnell, Ken Wharton and George Abecassis. How on earth did it come about- were the Dockers still in charge at the time, and thought it would be good publicity?

More pertinent, in 53 there was a team of Bristols, and in 54 Tony Crook entered a Lancia, presumably a B20. All of these were so tuneable, I reckon they'd be in with a shout for overall victory in today's field.

#556 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:29

That's about as tenuous a "qualification" as you can get! Since potential entrants are racking their brains trying to find an obscure-ish car that will appeal to the organisers, I looked up a couple of old programmes from 53/54 International Trophy meetings - how about an A40 Sports, naturally with a hardtop to comply with safety regs, or a Daimler Conquest.? Now that was some team - Reg Parnell, Ken Wharton and George Abecassis. How on earth did it come about- were the Dockers still in charge at the time, and thought it would be good publicity?

More pertinent, in 53 there was a team of Bristols, and in 54 Tony Crook entered a Lancia, presumably a B20. All of these were so tuneable, I reckon they'd be in with a shout for overall victory in today's field.

I'd book my ticket for next years Revival tomorrow to see a couple of Bristol's (stop smirking in the back row) and a couple of Daimler Conquests with a hard top, to comply with safety regs, A40 Sports in the field !

#557 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,306 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:05

Does anyone knows what was the reason why saturday was runnig a 250 GT? Did they had an accidant during Friday Practice? Or a differnt reason?
Thanks for your help in advance

The results listings:

http://www.tsl-timin...;eventid=123721

show that they used the 250GT in both (Friday and Saturday) practice sessions but then raced the 330GTO. It looks as though the 250GT had been hurriedly renumbered, so I'm guessing they had some problem with the 330GTO which they managed to resolve in time for the race. With luck someone will have more concrete info.

#558 bill p

bill p

• 361 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:35

Posted Image

As seen during warm-up lap for the Fordwater Trophy on Saturday

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#559 Macca

Macca

• 3,326 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:57

OK, OK, I'll change my post to read "didn't race" if that satisfies you all - I'd obviously blinked at exactly the wrong time and missed it :cry:

Edited by Macca, 25 September 2012 - 12:57.

Advertisement

#560 Paul Parker

Paul Parker

• 1,696 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:57

I was about to post the same thing, Alan. I saw it happen, scary.

I saw it too and photographed most of the sequence from St Devote, I will see if I can find the pics and post it but it might take a while.

#561 bill p

bill p

• 361 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 13:43

OK, OK, I'll change my post to read "didn't race" if that satisfies you all - I'd obviously blinked at exactly the wrong time and missed it :cry:

No apology necessary - I only saw it twice, through a viewfinder :)

Edited by bill p, 25 September 2012 - 13:44.

#562 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,886 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:36

Doubtless I've missed it being discussed, but where did they find all those pedal cars?

Posted Image

#563 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:38

...and in such good condition, too.

#564 Macca

Macca

• 3,326 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:46

There is a thriving club for them, but I hope nobody is suggesting GRC would accept continuation cars....

Edited by Macca, 25 September 2012 - 16:48.

#565 mfd

mfd

• 2,880 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 16:48

...and in such good condition, too.

Just wait 'til Newey tasks his men with one, Barry

#566 dwh43scale

dwh43scale

• 165 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 17:15

£2,500 upwards was being quoted ...

#567 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 18:55

Just wait 'til Newey tasks his men with one, Barry

A figure of £5k was also quoted by Marcus Pye
When I took this shot of Roger Wills mech, I believe, an elderly Australian former FFord chap whose son also races FFd mumbled to me, " tell him not to forget to slacken off the wheel bearings by 2 flats to reduce friction.."
Thereafter we had a chat about various rumoured FFd lo-friction tweaks.
Posted Image
Roger Lund
Photo copyright Roger Lund, all rights reserved

#568 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:01

Just a note to pay due credit to Marcus Pye, as ever, and Bruce Jones for their car commentaries. The bikes and 'planes chaps were also very good, but I still miss " with his white socks turned over his boot tops" , "there go our leather-clad heroes" and down the back straights "flat as a Manx kipper". A man much appreciated and much missed for his contribution over the years.

BTW can we ask them not to talk about "No name" corner? The damn circuit has been as it is with the corner names since 1948. Madgwick leads onto the back straight, then when you start to turn for Fordwater, that is Fordwater all the way until you turn left for St Mary's. Twas ever thus.
Roger Lund

#569 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,330 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:07

I prefer to consider the right-hander in question as the entry component of the St Mary's ess bend, but that 'No Name' business also just drives me MAAAD! I have said as much. It is newspeak inappropriate, and to me even more aggravating than, the other one I detest, which is 'The Bomb Hole' at Snetterton. Such things when I were a lad were referred to - by all except the supremely thick - as 'A Crater'...

Re commentators - I also agree wholeheartedly with any praise for Marcus, Bruce and for Simon Taylor who also does the TV commentary solo and generally unaided. I am lost in admiration for what they do. To be not only supremely knowledgeable but also sufficiently articulate to commentate seamlessly for such long periods of time is an extraordinary ability. To do so, as Marcus did I believe for around nine hours, without a pee, also demonstrates an amazing power of - errrrmmmmm - concentration? :stoned:

DCN

Edited by Doug Nye, 25 September 2012 - 19:34.

#570 h4887

h4887

• 876 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:42

As seen during warm-up lap for the Fordwater Trophy on Saturday

Posted Image

That one is not a real G10, but a G11 converted to G10-like spec. The red one is the real deal.

#571 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,834 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 19:44

It's getting O.T. I know, but the Sky GP.2 commentator has the same effect on me with the left-hander before Pouhon at Spa.

#572 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 473 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 20:41

And Volga. Lots of them ran as taxis in this country in the Fifties. It was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a racing car. Bench seats, drum brakes, a smoky side-valve engine. My father's accountant ran one for a while, eventually swopped it for a succession of Moskwiches. After five or six of those, he was lent a ten-year old Volvo 121 Estate - and was an instant convert. I drove a Volga a couple of times. Right up there with the Trabi as far as automotive no-hopers go. In my book, of course. But then, having had the Soviets as next-door
neighbours for decades, and knowing people who remember the nuclear blasts at Novaja Zemla, the sight of a Soviet uniform is still an unpleasant one.

#573 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 21:25

And Volga. Lots of them ran as taxis in this country in the Fifties. It was not, by any stretch of the imagination, a racing car. Bench seats, drum brakes, a smoky side-valve engine. My father's accountant ran one for a while, eventually swopped it for a succession of Moskwiches. After five or six of those, he was lent a ten-year old Volvo 121 Estate - and was an instant convert. I drove a Volga a couple of times. Right up there with the Trabi as far as automotive no-hopers go. In my book, of course. But then, having had the Soviets as next-door
neighbours for decades, and knowing people who remember the nuclear blasts at Novaja Zemla, the sight of a Soviet uniform is still an unpleasant one.

Volga's of course did run in significant numbers in the Cup of Peace and Friendship races. I notice the one at Goodwood is quoted as having a three litre engine which is bigger than would have been available to the average comrade on the street but considerably smaller than was available to the security services on the street making sure the comrades came to no harm.

Does anyone know what was powering the #69 at Goodwood ?

#574 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,580 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 21:43

I felt very sorry for the chaps with the orange Corvette as they did not make it past TT practice ISTR
Posted Image
Click image for larger view
Photo copyright Roger Lund
Roger Lund

#575 Simon Taylor

Simon Taylor

• 72 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:03

Re commentators - I also agree wholeheartedly with any praise for Marcus, Bruce and for Simon Taylor who also does the TV commentary solo and generally unaided. I am lost in admiration for what they do. To be not only supremely knowledgeable but also sufficiently articulate to commentate seamlessly for such long periods of time is an extraordinary ability.

DCN

Doug, that's very kind of you, and in the case of the first-class job done each year for the PA by Marcus and Bruce, I couldn't agree more. But, just for the avoidance of confusion, TNFers should understand that the commentary I do throughout Saturday and Sunday to TV pictures is not actually for the TV programme, but is being recorded for the full-length Goodwood Revival DVD, which should be available in time for Christmas and should include at least some coverage of just about every race.

Making quite separate use of some of the same excellent race pictures plus some on-board camera work, the TV programme is a general interest edit (43 minutes excluding commercial breaks) presented by Steve Rider and Amanda Stretton, covering the whole Revival experience and aimed at a more general audience. It is due to go out this Thursday on ITV4, with repeats thereafter. Apart from planes, pedal cars, personalities and fashion, it will include very tight edits of just three races which, for technical reasons, will be voiced mainly by another commentator with possible inadequate interruptions from me. Don't ask me to explain.....

When I learn when and where the DVD can be ordered I'll let everybody know.

#576 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,047 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:16

Volga's of course did run in significant numbers in the Cup of Peace and Friendship races. I notice the one at Goodwood is quoted as having a three litre engine which is bigger than would have been available to the average comrade on the street but considerably smaller than was available to the security services on the street making sure the comrades came to no harm.

Does anyone know what was powering the #69 at Goodwood ?

Apparently the Goodwood rules allow 25% enlargement of engines, or so a website abut one of the competing cars says. Hence 50% of the competitors had larger than original engines. But I suppose it's still a field of cars that "look like Dad [or Uncle Bert] drove".

#577 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 22:34

Apparently the Goodwood rules allow 25% enlargement of engines, or so a website abut one of the competing cars says. Hence 50% of the competitors had larger than original engines. But I suppose it's still a field of cars that "look like Dad [or Uncle Bert] drove".

That would comfortably allow for a standard 2.4 GAZ M21 Volga to be brought up to the quoted 3 litres :up:

#578 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,230 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:10

...TNFers should understand that the commentary I do throughout Saturday and Sunday to TV pictures is not actually for the TV programme, but is being recorded for the full-length Goodwood Revival DVD... the TV programme is a general interest edit ... covering the whole Revival experience and aimed at a more general audience... it will include very tight edits of just three races

This both explains a lot and says it all. I still greatly enjoy re-living the first couple of Revivals through the medium of off-air VHS recordings of the early tv programmes, the first one or two actually aired in two parts, I think (or maybe I just needed a longer tape) which have coverage of every race, delightfully commentated upon by Simon (although I do wish we could come up with something in addition to "hard on the brakes" for every shot of anyone entering the chicane, just for the sake of elegant variety, you understand, in addition to technical accuracy :wave: :up: :kiss: ). Each race given adequate air time and allowed to unfold and, while I have not done a stopwatch analysis, the bulk of the programme about the cars and the motor racing; the dressing up, cricket and ball the sideshow that many if not most on this forum consider them to be.

There were 13 races at the Revival, not counting the (IMO completely spurious) pedal car thing and those races run in two heats. Now, dumbed down as is practically everything on the box, the tv programme is all about what has been called earlier on this thread 'the theatre' at the Revival and the original raison d'etre, the cars and the motor racing, packaged tightly into hurried little parcels covering only three to be got out of the way as quickly as possible with, no doubt, the emphasis on the crashes and mishaps.

For myself, I shall record the programme for later watching, probably mostly on fast-forward, and wait for the DVD.

Instead of engaging the local vulgar broadcaster, or perhaps as well, would it not be possible to engage the French tv company who do the motor racing on satellite tv (channel 413 on my box)? That way we might get a programme with more cars and fewer fur coats.

Edited by Mal9444, 26 September 2012 - 06:22.

#579 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:19

Regarding the Ginetta G10. This is the Ex Chris Meek car imported back from the USA and is owned by JCB.

Advertisement

#580 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,431 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:54

A figure of £5k was also quoted by Marcus Pye
When I took this shot of Roger Wills mech, I believe, an elderly Australian former FFord chap whose son also races FFd mumbled to me, " tell him not to forget to slacken off the wheel bearings by 2 flats to reduce friction.."
Thereafter we had a chat about various rumoured FFd lo-friction tweaks.
Posted Image
Roger Lund
Photo copyright Roger Lund, all rights reserved

..and wash the grease out and use hypoid 90 to lubricate them. And do it before each race or it all drains out and then....

#581 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 140 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 15:49

I noticed a Cobra racing at Goodwood with 'Bell & Colvill' on the side, reg. COB-something. Anyone know if this is the ex-Martin Colvill car, used to be quite modsportsy?

#582 h4887

h4887

• 876 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 19:48

Regarding the Ginetta G10. This is the Ex Chris Meek car imported back from the USA and is owned by JCB.

Yes, the red one. It was only raced once by the Walkletts, driven by Chris Meek at Brands. His wheels all stayed on, so he won.

#583 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 473 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 19:51

Now maths is not my subject....but presumably that is how an A35 can grow to 1293 ccm then. :p

#584 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,122 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 20:13

..and wash the grease out and use hypoid 90 to lubricate them. And do it before each race or it all drains out and then....

Wish I'd known about all these performance tweaks when I was a J40 driver :)

Posted Image

#585 Piquet959

Piquet959

• 85 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 22:15

I have one of these J40 pedal cars in the shed.
My grandfather brought it back from Enfland in the early 1950's whe he and my grandmother went on a trip to "the Continent and England"

Mine is red and has been well used and is much loved. I feel sure that it was the vehicle in which I had my first car crash!

Sadly mine does not look anything like the one in the photos. But it will be one of my retirement projects that I can give to my Grandson/daughter.
If I can work out how to post a pic I have one with my dad from about 1953 which was colourised as colour photos were a rarity in those days
Peter

#586 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 22:22

I had one for a short period when I was a small boy and living in Hemel Hempstead. I think it was maroon, and it was in quite good condition. It disappeared one morning and my mother always blamed the bin men.

#587 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 22:28

All my Goodwood Revival pictures are now uploaded to my Jalbum webspace, you can find them here

#588 mikeC

mikeC

• 602 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:11

... But I suppose it's still a field of cars that "look like Dad [or Uncle Bert] drove".

On retirement my grandfather replaced his aged Armstrong Siddeley with an A35 - it didn't look, or go, much like the roller skate at Goodwood :lol:

#589 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,122 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:40

I had one for a short period when I was a small boy and living in Hemel Hempstead. I think it was maroon, and it was in quite good condition. It disappeared one morning and my mother always blamed the bin men.

Mine started off as a sort of French Racing Blue but, perhaps sensing I might meet Geoff Goddard one day, I asked for it to be resprayed British Racing Green, in which it looked quite dashing. Works was incidentally done by a German ex-PoW who was our milkman - it felt much faster after that, so maybe he was also ex-Mercedes or Auto Union and slotted in some Technology while he was at it. Well, I can dream ...

#590 mfd

mfd

• 2,880 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 14:43

All my Goodwood Revival pictures are now uploaded to my Jalbum webspace, you can find them here

The Caldwell "lookalike" GTO creating interest in the regular car park :D

#591 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,662 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 17:35

I noticed a Cobra racing at Goodwood with 'Bell & Colvill' on the side, reg. COB-something. Anyone know if this is the ex-Martin Colvill car, used to be quite modsportsy?

I don't seem to have a photo with that number plate do you remember what racing number it was carrying ?

Posted Image

I did notice 'COB 2' in the classic car park which IIRC Rod Leach used to feature in his ads in the back of Motor Sport as being powered by a 'twin turbo' 427.

#592 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,330 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 19:43

Luc - stunning galleries. Really pleased that, once you had experienced the Revival, you came back for more...

Great work.

DCN

#593 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,451 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 20:37

Wish I'd known about all these performance tweaks when I was a J40 driver :)

Posted Image

I got to pedal my rich cousin's in Leeds over 60 years ago, we couldn't afford the bulbs for the headlights...

#594 Nev

Nev

• 244 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:51

Wonderful images Luc. I really enjoyed looking through them - thanks for posting.

Edited by Nev, 28 September 2012 - 15:09.

#595 fivestar

fivestar

• 290 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:57

And here is me being chauffered in Malta in 1953. A nice contrast from the chilly looking UK.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/villamargri.jpg/]Posted Image[/URL]

Edited by fivestar, 28 September 2012 - 04:58.

#596 Richard Wood

Richard Wood

• 61 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:17

Many thanks for sharing these photos of the Barry Sheene Memorial Race; tremendous, and also the nostalgic shots of the pit garages.
They've made my day!!
Best regards
R

#597 Belmondo

Belmondo

• 140 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:30

I don't seem to have a photo with that number plate do you remember what racing number it was carrying ?

I did notice 'COB 2' in the classic car park which IIRC Rod Leach used to feature in his ads in the back of Motor Sport as being powered by a 'twin turbo' 427.

I remember those Rod Leach ads.

Not sure of the number of the one I mentioned, but I did find a couple of photos from another event on flickr:

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Edited by Belmondo, 28 September 2012 - 07:31.

#598 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 347 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:32

Anyone watch the ITV4 show last night? I could do without all the rather awkward "fluff" fill-in pieces, but the (limited) race coverage was good, and Steve Ryder always does a good job.

#599 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,177 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:56

Anyone watch the ITV4 show last night? I could do without all the rather awkward "fluff" fill-in pieces, but the (limited) race coverage was good, and Steve Ryder always does a good job.

Yes, it wasn't bad at all, but pretty much what we've come to expect, less 'fluff' and more about the cars and racing would have been good. It's a bit odd in some ways, they aren't aiming for a mass audience on ITV4, so I can't see why they think so much fluff is needed. In the absence of a dedicated TNF channel though, it's probably as good as we'll ever get. Given the millions who happily watch hours and hours of often tedious 'effwun' coverage, I'd have thought that a proper effort concentrating mainly on the racing would have got good viewing figures.

Advertisement

#600 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,050 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:14

An improvement on previous years' ITV coverage - and especially on their awful effort at this year's FoS. I'd have liked to see a bit more of the Silberpfeile though - and why do they have such an obsession with sports cars? I suppose it must be the "the cars on this grid are worth 438 billion squillion pounds" factor :well:

Pretty sure I spotted McKinney, D in the crowd shot during the Dan Gurney parade too ...