Photo

Goodwood Revival 2012 - 14/16 September

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#51 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 625 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:16

This seems to have got the revivalists going a tad early. Personally, I'm looking forward to the VSCC Spring Start Silverstone meeting on April 21st. No E Types, Cobra's or Screamers there!. :cool:

Advertisement

#52 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,604 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:38

....just seem to produce more blokes in Pringle sweaters talking about what wax they use on their Jags instead of watching the bloody racing.

A choice expression, John. :)

#53 john aston

john aston

• 799 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 13:49

Thin end of the wedge, Pete.

Yes it might be- but as the whole Goodwood thing is a very successful pantomime portaying a rose tinted view of the past who cares ? I've enjoyed the revival meetings I have attended but it has become far more about the show than the racing if the crowds are anything to go by. Anyway , having kicked the sacred cow I'd better slink off now.

#54 pete53

pete53

• 353 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 14:34

It appears the Formula 3 suggestion didn't go down too well in some quarters, although I am assuming that this was more to do with the suggestion of stepping outside the 1966 cut-off rather than an antipathy to F3.

I am certainly in agreement with those that feel one-make races are not the way to go. However, I still think that on the odd occasion a little leeway could be given date-wise even if Bauble's noose is being prepared for me. For example, it would be great if a grid of small GT cars could be mustered with the early Chevron GTs, Lotus 47s and Ginetta G12s competing, all of which had made their racing debut before the end of 1966. Okay, some of the actual cars that would compete would have been constructed after 1966, but, to me, at least, you are still keeping within the spirit of the occasion. Then, throw in some Elans, Ginetta G4s, Divas, Mini Marcos and some of the one-offs and you would have a very attractive proposition.

#55 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:44

[/quote]I am certainly in agreement with those that feel one-make races are not the way to go. However, I still think that on the odd occasion a little leeway could be given date-wise even if Bauble's noose is being prepared for me. [quote]

Sorry Pete, there can be no reprieve, no Royal pardon for such a transgression, 1.0 litre Holbay Screamers are the very nadir of motorsport, lower even than pick-up truck, or Metro racing. A proper Formula 3 car has a 500cc motorbike engine and unsilenced megaphone exhaust producing a classic Doppler effect, allied to the scent of Castrol 'R'.

Silly little cars with a high pitched scream are juts not acceptable - anywhere!!

Not that I am biased or bigotted. Not intolerant! It is just that I know when I am right. (always)

Condolences,

Bauble.

#56 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,881 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:53

1.0 litre Holbay Screamers are the very nadir of motorsport, lower even than pick-up truck, or Metro racing.
Bauble.

I don't know what to say! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

#57 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,982 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:36

1.0 litre Holbay Screamers are the very nadir of motorsport, lower even than pick-up truck, or Metro racing.

Looked like fun in the day........

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-12-13

#58 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,311 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:13

Looked like fun in the day........

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-12-13

I don't know why Bauble has his Knickers in a twist. While it was not proper FJ, once the pretence that the engines were production car sourced, I accepted it for what it was, a formula which gave exceptionally close racing with a good diversity of manufacturers

#59 pete53

pete53

• 353 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:46

Silly little cars with a high pitched scream are juts not acceptable - anywhere!!

Not that I am biased or bigotted. Not intolerant! It is just that I know when I am right. (always)

Condolences,

Bauble.

So, you can't be persuaded .... still, there are always ear-plugs and a track side bar.

Advertisement

#60 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 14:25

I don't know why Bauble has his Knickers in a twist. While it was not proper FJ,

What has that other ridiculous formula got to do with anything?

#61 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 14:31

Now look chaps, I have made feelings know on this matter, and I will not be moved, if you want to spend your time watching those things go right ahead, at Croft, Pembrey or Jockhill, but PLEASE leave the Revival and any circuit within cycling distance of Luton alone.

The noise? Well I have stood close to a V16 BRM on several occasions and know what a 'proper' scream sounds like, so go in peace with your Holbays. As far away as possible.

Bless you all.

Old Twisty Knickers

#62 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 15:42

I would welcome F3 at Revival, if only becasue I've never seen (or heard!) it.

#63 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,302 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 15:56

Now for memorable noises, how would TNFers react to a Formula Vee Revival race?

DCN

#64 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 15:57

DCN

How low can you get?

#65 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,311 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 17:50

How low can you get?

I am happy to say that NEVER, in over 60 years of attending Motor Races in many different capacities, driver, entrant, mechanic, flag marshal, pit marshal, course marshal. scoreboard operator etc., have I watched a Formula V race.

And a Merry Christmas to one and all

#66 Wirra

Wirra

• 879 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 20:58

DCN

I'm sure you were tongue in cheek there Doug, however, I would travel 17,000 klms to SEE such a race with THE ORIGINAL DRIVERS, Piquet, Rosberg, Fittipaldi, et. al. They would last the distance, unlike the 500cc F3s and be quicker than many 1100cc F3s. I'm not sure you would have enough pre-1966 Vees in the UK, especially with updated safety specs.

Edited by Wirra, 13 December 2011 - 21:23.

#67 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 22:33

I'm not sure you would have enough pre-1966 Vees in the UK, especially with updated safety specs.

And especially as they didn't arrive in the UK until 1967
So I think we'd all agree, we'd love to see a race for FV cars that raced at Goodwood in period :)

#68 Wirra

Wirra

• 879 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 22:45

And especially as they didn't arrive in the UK until 1967...

I should have realised, the UK - home of neo-Luddism. As they say on the QANTAS flights, "You are now landing at Heathrow, wind your clocks back 10 years"!

#69 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 4,561 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 23:37

grid of small GT cars could be mustered with the early Chevron GTs, Lotus 47s and Ginetta G12s

Pete , we have covered this previously. I pointed out that the 47s were out of scope in eligibility terms, based on Goodwood's closure date.

Do Goodwood and the rank and file punters really want club racing?
Roger Lund

#70 john aston

john aston

• 799 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:05

Pete , we have covered this previously. I pointed out that the 47s were out of scope in eligibility terms, based on Goodwood's closure date.

Do Goodwood and the rank and file punters really want club racing?
Roger Lund

I think most of the rank and file punters wouldnt know a 47 from a Birdcage; too busy dressing up and drinking bucks fizz.

#71 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:49

I should have realised, the UK - home of neo-Luddism. As they say on the QANTAS flights, "You are now landing at Heathrow, wind your clocks back 10 years"!

Was there any FV racing in Australia before 1967?

#72 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,311 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:53

I know Heathrow is a bit of a chore to arrive at,...but Sydney, they treat intrnational arrivals as though is was an early 19th century sailing ship arriving and the passengers are all transporteees. The immigration "officers" qualify for the description uncouth, but then I suppose it is Orstralya, the land of yesteryear.

#73 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,123 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:29

Was there any FV racing in Australia before 1967?

1965 Warwick farm.

#74 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:40

Let's face it fellows (for Wirra, mates) some things should be allowed to slip quietly away and never be revived.

Screamers, FJ, FV, Chevrons, Brabhams, Loti .etc...etc...ect.....!

#75 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,297 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:58

Anyway.... I'll be at Loton Park, watching some REAL motor cars.  ;)

#76 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:24

A small point, but relevant in the context of some previous posts: Formula Vee is ineligible for revival on the grounds that it has never been away. Grids became a little thin during the 1970s, when Formula Ford entries reached their zenith, but the category never quite foraged the depths of extinction. Vee regained popularity after the 750 Motor Club took the reins in the late 1970s and it thrives still. For the past four years, it has even had its own Festival event at Brands Hatch.

And now, we return you to Goodwood...

#77 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,982 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:25

Much as I would like to see certain slightly post Goodwood cars running at the Revival, I am totally against it in principle, even as a one-off.

I was always under the impression that it was New Zealand where you had to turn your watch back 30 years (Beetle Drives etc). My Kiwi pals tell me Oz is too Americanised!
Oh, and if you want rude Immigration officers, try Chicago (or Jeddah, but that doesn't really count).

Edited by Giraffe, 14 December 2011 - 09:26.

#78 Sharman

Sharman

• 2,311 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:57

Much as I would like to see certain slightly post Goodwood cars running at the Revival, I am totally against it in principle, even as a one-off.

I was always under the impression that it was New Zealand where you had to turn your watch back 30 years (Beetle Drives etc). My Kiwi pals tell me Oz is too Americanised!
Oh, and if you want rude Immigration officers, try Chicago (or Jeddah, but that doesn't really count).

Seattle's not good either Tony, it must be something about being colonial.

N.B. w.e.f 0900 hrs 15/12/2011 I will not be here to receive abuse as I am leaving home to visit (if it is still there) that sceptred isle set in a silver sea

Edited by Sharman, 14 December 2011 - 09:59.

#79 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:37

Seattle's not good either Tony, it must be something about being colonial.

N.B. w.e.f 0900 hrs 15/12/2011 I will not be here to receive abuse as I am leaving home to visit (if it is still there) that sceptred isle set in a silver sea

Sadly more septic these days Shars.

Advertisement

#80 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,297 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:31

Lotus to take centre stage at the Festival of Speed.

Goodwood Festival 2012

Well it's not the Revival, but at least I'll not need to dress up as a Bolivian Rear-Admiral.

I wonder what they mean by Lotus these days?

#81 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 491 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 13:20

Black and Gold painted Renaults, possibly ?

#82 pete53

pete53

• 353 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 17:12

I have just had an email from Goodwood announcing that the "Silver Arrows" will be appearing - in fact, racing. Apparently examples of the W25, W125, W154 and W156 will be there as well as Auto Union C and D types. Any doubts I had about going this year have been banished.

#83 D-Type

D-Type

• 7,991 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 17:59

I have just had an email from Goodwood announcing that the "Silver Arrows" will be appearing - in fact, racing. Apparently examples of the W25, W125, W154 and W156 will be there as well as Auto Union C and D types. Any doubts I had about going this year have been banished.

Well, let's hope they don't include any of the over-developed ERAs and other VSCC regulars in "to fill the grid" for obvious reasons. A demonstration at racing speeds (Audi take note!) is a different proposition. Maybe including the Ecurie Bleu Maserati 8CTF[?] and a couple of others.

#84 pete53

pete53

• 353 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 18:32

Well, let's hope they don't include any of the over-developed ERAs and other VSCC regulars in "to fill the grid" for obvious reasons. A demonstration at racing speeds (Audi take note!) is a different proposition. Maybe including the Ecurie Bleu Maserati 8CTF[?] and a couple of others.

" Alongside the Silver Arrow racers will be many of the cars they competed against – expect to see examples of ERA, Maserati, Bugatti and MG on the legendary Goodwood track."

#85 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,704 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 20:56

Any doubts I had about going this year have been banished.

Same here. It's truly wonderful news, and the organisers can't be praised enough for accomplishing their mission.

Although I think there might be a few surprises in the final classification, given the fact that the ERAs will be allowed to race alongside of them - or should that be ahead of them?

#86 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 5,989 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 21:20

This is great news, but the email doesn't say that the cars will be raced. It says that they will be seen in race-speed action. If you were Mercedes-Benz, would you race these cars?

#87 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 1,308 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:03

.......It says that they will be seen in race-speed action. If you were Mercedes-Benz, would you race these cars?

At the risk of reopening the old 'E2A' argument again in spades, only this time doubled, redoubled and vulnerable (!) I'd have to say probably not, nor Audi either. Pity. However, if the 'top-line drivers' are some of those we have seen at recent Revivals it would be better they didn't. They could race the Crossthwaite and Gardiner versions and have the real ones for demonstration purposes perhaps? I would trust my old mate Dron to race one, mind you, seeing as how he is the only person to have driven the ex-Seaman original W125 and the Wheatcroft re-creation by C&G.
I certainly intend to be at the Revival now, having become a little jaundiced in the last couple of years. Only downside is that I will have to spend the entire weekend ensuring I avoid bumping into Bauble :lol:

ST

#88 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,604 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:49

This is great news, but the email doesn't say that the cars will be raced. It says that they will be seen in race-speed action.

Sounds like a euphemism for a high-speed demo. If they were actually to be raced, surely they would have said "...wil be seen in race action". I can't believe that their custodians would allow them to be involved in the cut-and-thrust of modern historic racing.

#89 pete53

pete53

• 353 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:22

When I first saw the message about the Silver Arrows coming to the Revival I assumed they would be there for some demonstration laps. When I saw the word "race" I went off into dreamland. But, of course, the likelihood of them being set off for a 25 minute free-for-all is as likely as the Crown Jewels being loaned out for fancy dress parties. And quite rightly.

However, I eagerly await the opportunity to see these legendary machines, which for me, and I am sure many others, have a mythical aura around them, summoning up distant black and white images of pre-war Donington and Caracciola, Rosemeyer, Lang et al.

#90 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,809 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:51

I'm glad I'm going this year.

#91 Racer.Demon

Racer.Demon

• 1,704 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 15:25

This is great news, but the email doesn't say that the cars will be raced. It says that they will be seen in race-speed action. If you were Mercedes-Benz, would you race these cars?

You're making a fair point there, Roger. So easy to get carried away...

#92 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 739 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:30

I have just had an email from Goodwood announcing that the "Silver Arrows" will be appearing - in fact, racing. Apparently examples of the W25, W125, W154 and W156 will be there as well as Auto Union C and D types.

Whatever the nature of the "racing" or demonstration, this must surely be one of the highlights of this - or any other - year's historic calendar. Reflecting, however, Goodwood's desire to create an authetic look - and at the risk of this being considered to be in poor taste - I do hope that no spectators will turn up in period uniform!

#93 pete53

pete53

• 353 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:53

Whatever the nature of the "racing" or demonstration, this must surely be one of the highlights of this - or any other - year's historic calendar. Reflecting, however, Goodwood's desire to create an authetic look - and at the risk of this being considered to be in poor taste - I do hope that no spectators will turn up in period uniform!

Strangely, last year there were some gents in lederhosen! Yes, let's hope they are not encouraged to go a step further this year! Mind you nothing would surprise me.

#94 bill p

bill p

• 356 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 16:25

I do hope that no spectators will turn up in period uniform!

One "character" was dressed in the uniform of an SS Officer last year :down:

#95 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,809 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 17:36

There should be some sort of vetting procedure at the gates to the circuit.

Mind you, maybe then, I wouldn't get in.....

#96 Mistron

Mistron

• 832 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 17:43

One "character" was dressed in the uniform of an SS Officer last year :down:

Nice to see our younger royals and politicians taking an interest in historic motorsport :drunk:

seriously though, didn't I read somewhere that more than one person has quite rightly been refused admission to the event for dressing in this tasteless manner. No doubt to avoid causing offence to many (including some all important 'commercial partners' and their guests)

#97 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 1,388 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 19:56

Perhaps I should reconsider my 6th Baronet of Ancoats costume, then.....

#98 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,604 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 18:38

More from the Silver Arrows press release:

Low-speed demonstrations by individual Silver Arrows are an impressive sight, and this will be the first time that so many of these mighty machines have been driven together at full racing speed since the Yugoslav Grand Prix, on 3 September 1939 – the day after WWII broke out. As such, it will be a truly once-in-a-lifetime experience – arguably the most momentous occasion in the history of historic motor sport.
To complete the spectacle, the cars will be housed in an authentic recreation of a period pit/paddock building, based on the distinctive structure at the Bremgarten circuit in Switzerland, alongside period transporters.

#99 T54

T54

• 2,479 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 18:48

Apparently, Dan Gurney and his Eagles will also be part of the FOS and especially the Revival.

Advertisement

#100 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,809 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 22:02

Let's hope Dan's new knee is bedded in by then.

I knew I'd made the right decision to go this year.