Photo

Inaccurate models and poor research

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 21:24

Thanks Roger - at least it appears that this model is kosher.

Has anybody seen a model of the cycle winged Ferrari 166 spyder he drove in 1948?

Advertisement

#52 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 22:43

Aaaaargh! (Again)  After following the link to the restored New York to Paris Thomas Flyer on the main forum I find that my Rio model is white with black lettering and brown seats when it should be grey with red lettering and red seats.  And there should be toolboxes and things on the running boards, etc etc.  It's taken me four years to find that out so i reckon I'll live with it.  As the Peking-Paris Itala is in the Turin Museum, I'm going to hope that Rio had a close look at it and got it that one right.

#53 Mal9444

Mal9444

• 1,246 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:24

The biscuit?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d4e0d000c

#54 nicanary

nicanary

• 463 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:14

At least the seller mentions the gaffe in his description. Perhaps that's why he was getting rid of it. Still, nice one Ixo - good to see all the research you did before manufacture.

#55 Jager

Jager

• 248 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:06

At least the seller mentions the gaffe in his description. Perhaps that's why he was getting rid of it. Still, nice one Ixo - good to see all the research you did before manufacture.

Isn't that just a slight overeaction ?

For the record, IXO have released the 1959 Le Mans winner previously with the correct drivers named on the plinth :

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item5d4dc3200a

They have also previously released the sister #4 car of Moss & Fairman and the #6 car of Trintignant & Frere, both of which had the correct drivers names.

The model shown is a re-release and clearly wires got crossed in the factory resulting in a mix up between cars and drivers.

Does it really matter though ? 95% of collectors I know remove the cars from the bases to display them loose in their model cabinets.

#56 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 22:50

It would matter if the buyer wanted the Moss/Fairman car!

Shouldn't the factory have a Quality Control/Management/Assurance system?

#57 Jager

Jager

• 248 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:59

If the buyer specifically wanted the Moss / Fariman car you'd think they'd know what number it carried.

I'm sure they have quality control, but remember the Chinese quality control manager (shown below, from the IXO website) probably doesn't know who Moss is, let alone seen him race like those here on TNF.

01.jpg

Edited by Jager, 18 July 2014 - 07:34.

#58 RCH

RCH

• 797 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:12

There's always one or two which slip through QC. At one time they would have been highly sought after, thankfully we don't seem to have that sort of collector any more!

This is a bit of an odd one since the base plate is wrong, so it shouldn't really have got anywhere near the assembly process. But then again how many, even on TNF, would have registered the mistake immediately?

#59 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:39

If the buyer specifically wanted the Moss / Fariman car you'd think they'd know what number it carried.

I'm sure they have quality control, but remember the Chinese quality control manager (shown below, from the IXO website) probably doesn't know who Moss is, let alone seen him race like those here on TNF.

01.jpg

I don't know the race number offhand.  A dealer wouldn't either.  He would advertise the car as something like the "Moss/Fairman Le Mans Aston Matin" and wouldn't put the number in the advert.  The buyer would buy it.  And may or may not discover the mistake.

This isn't a simple case of the wrong model being put on the base or in the box.  The base has been manufactured incorrectly.  A clear quality management failure as the mistake found its way through to the production line.

Advertisement

#60 Jager

Jager

• 248 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 20:52

I don't know the race number offhand.  A dealer wouldn't either.  He would advertise the car as something like the "Moss/Fairman Le Mans Aston Matin" and wouldn't put the number in the advert.  The buyer would buy it.  And may or may not discover the mistake.

This isn't a simple case of the wrong model being put on the base or in the box.  The base has been manufactured incorrectly.  A clear quality management failure as the mistake found its way through to the production line.

Hopefully the dealer might even advertise it as the "Moss/Fairman Le Mans Aston Martin" :) .

#61 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,138 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 19:07

Hopefully the dealer might even advertise it as the "Moss/Fairman Le Mans Aston Martin" :) .

Precisely.  No.5 would be Salvadori/Shelby while Moss/Fairman should be No.4 and not No.5.

#62 Jager

Jager

• 248 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:22

Precisely.  No.5 would be Salvadori/Shelby while Moss/Fairman should be No.4 and not No.5.

Sorry, you completely missed my sacasm. You spelt Aston Martin wrong, which I thought somewhat ironic given the topic of this thread.