Photo

Ricciardo VS Vergne - 2012

• Please log in to reply
762 replies to this topic

#151 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:37

Really happy with Dan's performance today, hopefully he can get the better again tomorrow.

Advertisement

#152 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,114 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:37

Impressive effort from both of them first time out in the car (in anger).

This will be an interesting battle and one that not only Red Bull will be watching...

+1

Looking forward to a great battle between these two young talents this season.

#153 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,420 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:53

hmmm impressed with both over this wkend, but vergne has impressed me a little more by being so close so quick. tomoz is a different story though.

#154 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,431 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:01

Potentially a bad result for DR, Vergne gets the clean side and fresh boots. I know where i'd rather be starting from, particularly with fresh versus abused rubber.

#155 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,420 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:06

Potentially a bad result for DR, Vergne gets the clean side and fresh boots. I know where i'd rather be starting from, particularly with fresh versus abused rubber.

the tires shouldn't be that different for either though should they? at least not right at the start.

dan did an extra stint in q2 than vergne but his last stint would have been on new tires, no? which he will start the race on. so both start on same amount of tire but later in the race vergne has some advantage due to the extra stint dan did at the start of q2.

Does this make sense? not sure myself!

#156 Zava

Zava

• 4,978 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 18:10

Dan didn't roll out in Q3 did he? if he didn't, then he is also starting on fresh rubber.

#157 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,420 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:59

ha DR what a cheeky little bastard :up:

fantastic race from both of them. amazing how it all fell int dan's lap nicely after t1 incident

#158 Meanbeakin

Meanbeakin

• 539 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:59

How about that, Dan got whacked in the first corner, Jean-Eric looked like he was on for a good result and then Dan pips him at the end!

#159 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,760 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:00

This is already loads more interesting than Buemi vs. Jaime ever was.

Advertisement

#160 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:03

I sense these two will have a bit more "venom" between them than Jaime and Seb ever did, very good job from both and a good come back from Danny Ric.

#161 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:04

Going to be a mega battle :).

Sounds like stewards enquiry though ATM over the last lap.

#162 williams96

williams96

• 980 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:22

Great last lap! Good recovery for Ricciardo and a strong debut for Vergne. Certainly looking like a complete change at Toro Rosso has worked out well.

#163 slideways

slideways

• 3,249 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:11

Dan is bery bery sneaky!! Delivered exactly was RB asked for (a bit more aggression/risk), and it paid off. Verge was seriously impressive and one to watch.

Edited by slideways, 18 March 2012 - 09:12.

#164 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:48

This is already loads more interesting than Buemi vs. Jaime ever was.

And when it says a person, who is changing his opinions about drivers almost everyday, than it must be true! :drunk: I really don t see any big difference between the previous battle and this one...
And my opinion is that both Ricciardo and Vergne had a better qualifying than race... Both made mistakes today and I think Daniel knows very precisely how he closed the gap to Vergne...  ;) Greetings to Mr. Maylander and Vitaly! :wave:
Not to mention they have benefited from retirements of Schumacher, Grosjean, Maldonado and from the Rosberg/PĂ©rez incident... But qualifying was good from both, there is nothing to criticise... :)

#165 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:03

To be fair both were compromised at the first corner, Vergne in 8th pushed off by Webber, Ricciardo with Senna parked infront of him. Vergne then got swallowed up on dead tyres on a long first stint whilst Ricciardo took an Aussie beach excursion.

Safety Car mixed things up nicely which of course is its aim.

#166 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:19

fantastic race from both of them. amazing how it all fell int dan's lap nicely after t1 incident

Oh man - I thought he was befelled by the home GP curse when that happened, but credit to him he hung in there and was able to capitalise when the opportunity presented itself at the end. :up:

Impressive from Vergne as well :up:

I am sure that Torro Rosso felt that they could've got more out of today, but considering where both cars were at T1 was a good result :up:

#167 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,184 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:25

To be fair both were compromised at the first corner, Vergne in 8th pushed off by Webber, Ricciardo with Senna parked infront of him. Vergne then got swallowed up on dead tyres on a long first stint whilst Ricciardo took an Aussie beach excursion.

Safety Car mixed things up nicely which of course is its aim.

What beach excursion? It was Vergne that drove off the track. Ricciardo got shunted back to last after an early stop due to damage.

#168 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:16

I reckon this sums it up. Both Aussie boys had a spectacular day.

That move on Vergne on the last lap - hahahaha. Great job, Dan! :up:

A lot of other drivers would have just about given up after that first lap. But he just kept going.

#169 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:27

Great drive by both, bad luck to Vergne. Ricc did good to have such a great race pace with front left damage, was faster than Vergne when both were in free air (all hail live timing!!) but it is only Vergne's first GP so it's to be expected really.

#170 aray

aray

• 2,599 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:31

i think both of these guys will turn out more competitive than their predecessors ever were as the season progresses...

Edited by aray, 18 March 2012 - 14:31.

#171 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:28

+1 ^

#172 ivanalesi

ivanalesi

• 1,767 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:59

The car this season is a major, major step from last season. So, drawing comparisons with Jaime & Sebastien is unfair. Clearly the Toro Rosso is massively fast. Both drives made some errors, on the starts and then during the race. What I was really pleased about was their race pace, at one moment JEV was the fastest driver on the track, he had a fastest lap, but then made an error and the lost places on the last lap. There's clearly lots of potential and if they sort out their starts, they can trouble the front-runners and with some luck battle for podiums.

#173 GregAU

GregAU

• 522 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 21:01

Seemed fairly even until finding out about the damage Dan was carrying with the car pulling left the entire race. Pretty shocked he made it to top 10.

#174 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,631 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 22:02

Despite the postions at the line I'm going to give this one to JEV. But very early to tell. Certainly a much racier performance by these drivers than the norm from Buemi and Algy.

#175 Redback

Redback

• 696 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:24

Dan qualified better, finished higher and did so after sustaining damage that necessitated a pit-stop for a new wing.

He also drove with suspension damage the whole race yet still managed a result, - and you're giving it to JEV??? :drunk: :rolleyes:

I thought they were pretty evenly matched, but based on qualifying and race results, Dan has to be in front, if only marginally.

#176 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:39

I expect "Jules" Vergne to outpace Ricciardo on wet races.

His 2000 Miles knowledge will give him an advantage :p

#177 GregAU

GregAU

• 522 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:41

Despite the positions at the line I'm going to give this one to JEV. But very early to tell. Certainly a much racier performance by these drivers than the norm from Buemi and Algy.

LOL wut? Dan out qualified and out raced JEV even with a damaged car caused by an incident that wasnt his fault. How can you possibly come to this conclusion?

You could land a job writing for planetf1.com with that logic. :drunk:

#178 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:43

Despite the postions at the line I'm going to give this one to JEV. But very early to tell. Certainly a much racier performance by these drivers than the norm from Buemi and Algy.

Were you even WATCHING the race?

#179 teejay

teejay

• 3,634 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:44

Dan gets this one for sure.

Fought all race with a damaged car, then struck when oppurtunity presented itself to grab points.

Advertisement

#180 Redback

Redback

• 696 posts

The car this season is a major, major step from last season. So, drawing comparisons with Jaime & Sebastien is unfair. Clearly the Toro Rosso is massively fast. Both drives made some errors, on the starts and then during the race. What I was really pleased about was their race pace, at one moment JEV was the fastest driver on the track, he had a fastest lap, but then made an error and the lost places on the last lap. There's clearly lots of potential and if they sort out their starts, they can trouble the front-runners and with some luck battle for podiums.

How can you tell? Aside from the performances of both drivers, what makes you think this season's car is so much better, relative to the other mid-field cars? What objective metrics lead you to that conclusion?

#181 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,431 posts

Despite the postions at the line I'm going to give this one to JEV. But very early to tell.

Well that's just ****ing stupid.

#182 travbrad

travbrad

• 605 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:56

Going to be a mega battle :).

So TR will fire them both at the end of the year then?;) :p

#183 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:44

Fought all race with a damaged car, then struck when oppurtunity presented itself to grab points.

That had to have pleased Dr Marko...

#184 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:51

That had to have pleased Dr Marko...

I can tell you guys first hand it did.
a lot of man love for dan when he got out of the cockpit from helmut.
there may have even been an arse grab... :lol:

#185 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:04

I can tell you guys first hand it did.
a lot of man love for dan when he got out of the cockpit from helmut.
there may have even been an arse grab... :lol:

It's quite a conundrum isn't it. We absolutely despise Helmut for being a chump to Webber, but we really want to like him as a result of him liking Dan. Hrmm..

Anyway, I'm going to start a count now.

RACE

DR 1 - 0 JEV

QUALIFYING

DR 1 - 0 JEV

Edited by Jaybools, 19 March 2012 - 03:07.

#186 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,854 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:13

I'd be willing to tolerate right up till 51/49 DR's way, but thats just defying all logic?
Did you give the advantage to Massa over Fernando too?

#187 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,933 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:13

ill agree with that, but ill also say, what a mega performance from JEV on his first F1 weekend.

stat wise you have to score it for dan, but JEV has been just as impressive this weekend for mine - what a strong debut.

you can tell this pair has something extra already imo.

#188 Brother Fox

Brother Fox

• 4,854 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:14

It's quite a conundrum isn't it. We absolutely despise Helmut for being a chump to Webber, but we really want to like him as a result of him liking Dan. Hrmm..

No. He's a cock any way you slice it. Go back to his treatment of DC's retirement.

#189 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:20

ill agree with that, but ill also say, what a mega performance from JEV on his first F1 weekend.

stat wise you have to score it for dan, but JEV has been just as impressive this weekend for mine - what a strong debut.

you can tell this pair has something extra already imo.

Yeah I think you have to give the weekend to Dan but JEV was very very impressive - will be great to watch how these 2 go, not just to each other but to the rest of the midfield as this year's STR seems to be quite good.

No. He's a cock any way you slice it. Go back to his treatment of DC's retirement.

:up:

#190 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:50

Thanks for the reminder, makes it easier..

#191 Mohawkk

Mohawkk

• 63 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:50

Bloody good show by both drivers...
Both drivers will be really tough to beat by the end of the year.
Going for Dan to come out on top

#192 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:52

Both of them showed that they are talented kids to look out for and I feel that there is nothing much in between them. Who can, god willing, develop faster is probably going to be the biggest question this year.

#193 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,114 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:25

Oh my!! :rotfl: Silly sosidge. :drunk: Back under the bridge mate.

Anyway, both put in nice drives. Have to give this one to Dan but i sense it'll be a great battle between these two all season. :up:

#194 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,420 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:41

you know it's really quite acceptable that he thinks JEV was better and he did say "only just."

vergne was stuck behind traffic a lot of the race I believe and found it hard to put in massive laptimes. When in clean air he was setting fastest laps.

The only reason I would give it to vergne over dan was how close he was with limited experience compared to dan. But in the end, it is a race for me that I wouldn't apportion a point to either over the other, there was just too much randomness for me to fairly do that. Looking forward to when they have a straight up even stevens no weird shit happening fight.

#195 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:04

So TR will fire them both at the end of the year then?;) :p

:lol:

#196 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:06

I like Daniel more then Vergne, but the truth is that Safety Car helped him a lot to close the gap to others... He was "nowhere" in terms of position before that...

#197 sebomaniac

sebomaniac

• 159 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:09

If the final lap was anything to go by this match up is worth keeping an eye on.

#198 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:19

I like Daniel more then Vergne, but the truth is that Safety Car helped him a lot to close the gap to others... He was "nowhere" in terms of position before that...

True, but the reason he was "nowhere" was due to being an innocent victim @ T1 and having to pit to replace the nose - guess the SC kinda evened that out huh?

#199 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:27

True, but the reason he was "nowhere" was due to being an innocent victim @ T1 and having to pit to replace the nose - guess the SC kinda evened that out huh?

That is true, but Senna also had to pit to replace a puncture, drove a damaged car from T1 and was ahead of Ricciardo all race, until Massa went kamikaze :eek:

Advertisement

#200 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,545 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:42

That is true, but Senna also had to pit to replace a puncture, drove a damaged car from T1 and was ahead of Ricciardo all race, until Massa went kamikaze :eek:

Not really getting your point here, but anyway - from Autosport Live Commentary:

Lap 1: The five red lights go out and we are racing in 2012!

Lap 1: Hamilton gets away but loses out to team-mate Button into Turn 1 with the Mercedes pair surguing forward!

Lap 1: Around the back of the circuit on lap one it is Button from Hamilton, Schumacher, Rosberg and Vettel.

Lap 2: Chaos at the rear of the field! Ricciardo and Senna got involved and Hulkenberg is also down to last position.

Lap 2: Senna brings his Williams strgith into the pits at the end of the first lap.

Lap 2: Hamilton appeared to wheelspin a little as he moved away from pole, allowing team-mate Button clean down the inside into the first corner.

Lap 2: Button leads by 1.3 seconds from team-mate Hamilton and the Mercedes pair.

Lap 2: Ricciardo also comes in for some running repairs. He leaves the lane after a short stop.

So that to me indicates Senna got back to the pits quicker and before Dan, and so then obviously was in front of him after leaving the pits...

Lap 46: Ricciardo continues to make some progress at the back. He has caught Felipe Massa and a fight begins for 13th.

Lap 46: Vettel was just a thousanth slower that Button on that lap as the Red Bull finally gets on the leader's pace.

Lap 46: Senna is not being dropped in 15th and he makes it a three-car battle.

Lap 46: Hamilton remains in DRS range of Vettel but can't make it work on his latest trip down to Turn 1.

Lap 47: Hamilton sets the fastest lap and continues to eye a move on Vettel to take back second place.

Lap 47: Ricciardo was side by side with Massa into Turn 1 but wasn't able to get the job done initially and lost time in the opening complex of corners.

Lap 48: That allowed Senna to take 14th back from Ricciardo and the Williams immediately tried a move on Massa at Turn 3.

Lap 48: The pair made contact and Massa has suffered damage to the Ferrari.

Lap 48: Senna's car also appears to be damaged and they are both touring round the circuit.

And this shows that Ricciardo had indeed managed to get ahead of Senna, and was until just prior to the Senna/Massa incident. So again, not really sure what your point was?

Edited by krapmeister, 19 March 2012 - 10:51.