Photo

Ricciardo VS Vergne - 2012

• Please log in to reply
762 replies to this topic

#251 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,185 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:37

Poor race from Daniel today. Not sure why he pitted a stop extra?

Advertisement

#252 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:38

Very impressed with JEV, dan pitted quite oddly early on the inters but vergne did well good pace throughout the race he looks good

Indeed, I was slightly surprised by this. Also while Dan was in the midfield, he pitted and went through 2 sets of inters compared to JEV's one, except they were pretty much equal on pace, depending on lap/traffic etc... who knows -.-

EDIT: It was around the point where he'd overtaken Massa and Senna got back by him while he was flying

Edited by Jaybools, 25 March 2012 - 12:42.

#253 williams96

williams96

• 980 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:05

Shame about the extra stop, both Button and Ricciardo pitted for new boots only for those that stayed out on their old inters to find more pace. Regardless of the timing of the SC and stops, Vergne had great pace and was matching and at points beating Ricciardo.

Not sure what happened to Ricciardo at the start, hope it's not a reoccurring theme, but at least he got through in one piece this time.

#254 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:40

I watched this guy ever since his British F3 days... ! Excellent drive today! :up: :up: :up:

#255 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,947 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:04

Well done JEV, very impressive in atrocious conditions

this is turning into quite the battle

dr
q 2 r 1

jev
q 0 r 1

#256 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,421 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:48

JEV has surprised me a lot, I expected him to be overpushing and being more agressive, instead he's been pretty cool. :up:

Marcoferrari is gonna love this but I think we may be heading towards a scenario we have seen before, with neither STR driver outshining the other.

Edited by goldenboy, 27 March 2012 - 06:49.

#257 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:13

Hats off to JEV for a very impressive drive in only his 2nd race. He certainly does look like he has got what it takes to mix it with the big boys. And that aggression that he has could start earning him a lot of fans. As for Dan, he is no slouch either. It was a good solid drive from him after the heroics of Melbourne.

For me Dan vs JEV looks like a mini Lewis vs Jenson battle. Anyone out there who agrees with me on that view?

#258 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:21

Reading Dan's blog I can see a big difference in mentality. He was talking about doing NOTHING but staying on the track which saddened me a bit. A winning driver's mentality would be to think of the rain as an opportunity to overtake and attack. Instead he seems to be thinking overly cautious. A bit disappointing. I expect him to be fully on form at the next race though.

#259 wattoroos

wattoroos

• 1,074 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:33

Hats off to JEV for a very impressive drive in only his 2nd race. He certainly does look like he has got what it takes to mix it with the big boys. And that aggression that he has could start earning him a lot of fans. As for Dan, he is no slouch either. It was a good solid drive from him after the heroics of Melbourne.

For me Dan vs JEV looks like a mini Lewis vs Jenson battle. Anyone out there who agrees with me on that view?

yeah i have thougth that in some respects but give them a few more races and your perceptions could change as it is only early days

Advertisement

#260 icecream

icecream

• 396 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 23:21

fair win in quali for RIC. :up:

#261 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:48

I have no idea why they sent out Dan again in Q2 - it was clear he didn't have the pace to make any meaningful positions and yet they still wasted a set of tyres. Grrrr.

#262 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,421 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:04

fair win in quali for RIC. :up:

Pretty lousy starting positions though. They seem no better than Jaime or Sebastian IMO.

#263 icecream

icecream

• 396 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:25

Pretty lousy starting positions though. They seem no better than Jaime or Sebastian IMO.

perhaps not, but i'd say the car is letting them down more than the drivers.

#264 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,421 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:36

oh no they are turning into buemi alg mk2!

wasn't watching that closely but looked like a crap strategy for ric, very long first stint didn't look like it worked very well, although that was about as far as I looked into eithers race so I don't really know what happened to them.

#265 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:03

oh no they are turning into buemi alg mk2!

wasn't watching that closely but looked like a crap strategy for ric, very long first stint didn't look like it worked very well, although that was about as far as I looked into eithers race so I don't really know what happened to them.

I told you guys, it all depends on car... At the moment Vergne looks really slow on one lap, but maybe a bit better than Daniel in race... But I think the expectations were bigger (at least from some people here)... I am not really surprised...

Edited by marcoferrari, 15 April 2012 - 10:05.

#266 goingthedistance

goingthedistance

• 2,185 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:40

Vergne put in some nice laps during the race, looked very quick at times.

Ricciardo is disappointing in the races so far.

The car is rubbish though, the loss of the EBD is hurting this team.

#267 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:42

Ric had a terrible strategy. Long first stint, looking good for a WELL PLANNED 2 stopper, was showing good pace at ALL times (matching/faster than vergne when vergne had new tires in first stint) and came out with good pace after first pit stop. However only 4-5 laps after Vergne's second stop, they pitted Ricci.. Expecting him to do what, 30 laps on a set of tires? Crazy his second stint was cut short. At least the positions didn't matter...

#268 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,114 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:16

I told you guys, it all depends on car... At the moment Vergne looks really slow on one lap, but maybe a bit better than Daniel in race... But I think the expectations were bigger (at least from some people here)... I am not really surprised...

Tend to agree with you mate. The car showed promise in testing & in Melbourne, but it's gone downhill since.

Gonna be very hard to split these two, just like it was with Jamie & Buemi.

#269 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:44

However only 4-5 laps after Vergne's second stop, they pitted Ricci.. Expecting him to do what, 30 laps on a set of tires? Crazy his second stint was cut short. At least the positions didn't matter...

He did 22 laps on a set. Massa did 23 laps on a set, Webber 22 laps on a set, Vettel 22 laps & 25 laps on sets, Rosberg 21 & 22 laps on sets. :well:

#270 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 13:21

Vergne put in some nice laps during the race, looked very quick at times.

Ricciardo is disappointing in the races so far.

The car is rubbish though, the loss of the EBD is hurting this team.

Dan did pretty well in OZ, did he not?

#271 InvertedLift

InvertedLift

• 194 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:22

Dan did pretty well in OZ, did he not?

I'll translate for you

"I don't actually pay any attention to what is happening during the race down the field, I just look at the result and make assumptions."

#272 williams96

williams96

• 980 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:22

Ricciardo looked better in Australia, Vergne in Malaysia, but they seemed very close in China. With the strange strategic decisions I couldn't really separate them pace wise.

#273 4MEN

4MEN

• 1,556 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:23

I never criticised Franz Tost but looks like his decision to dump Alguersuari and Buemi was right.;)

#274 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:09

Epic from Dan in Quali. 1 tenth off Rosberg.

#275 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:15

I'll translate for you

"I don't actually pay any attention to what is happening during the race down the field, I just look at the result and make assumptions."

He made a mistake and spun, and then came from the back of the field to beat his team mate. That's pretty good if you ask me. Who's the one making assumptions anyway? :yawnface:

#276 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:16

Great qually from Ricciardo! :up:

Vergne will be choking on his croissant... :p

#277 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,421 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:17

damn missed all bust last few mins of qually, anyone got any more info?

#278 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:22

Ricciardo 6th, Vergne likely to be sent to back of grid after missing weighbridge at end of Q1 although he was already out. In Q1 Dan was almost 1sec faster and ended up 3rd fastest I think...

Edited by krapmeister, 21 April 2012 - 12:26.

#279 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:24

Ricciardo - what a talent !

Advertisement

#280 lbennie

lbennie

• 1,947 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:31

wow...

#281 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:31

Fantastic qualifying from Ricciardo - purple in S3 where hes been mega all weekend :clap:

#282 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,421 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:36

pretty annoyed I didn't see what happened to both these guys, but P6 is outstanding!!! Would be interested to hear what happen to vergne obviously the gap is not that big.

#283 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:37

Tough decision for RBR later this year.... another year of a still-got-it Webber, or plump for the younger Aussie.

#284 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:38

I still hear Vergne saying that even he would have outperformed Webber in the Red Bull in 2010... :lol:

#285 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:40

Tough decision for RBR later this year.... another year of a still-got-it Webber, or plump for the younger Aussie.

Trollololololol. Got to outscore Vergne and get Marko onside before he can think of that  ;)

#286 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:44

Trollololololol. Got to outscore Vergne and get Marko onside before he can think of that ;)

Trollololololol indeed...

#287 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 929 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:58

Trollololololol. Got to outscore Vergne and get Marko onside before he can think of that ;)

p*ss off dude, laugh all you want with your f-wit emoticons.

Marko's no fool. He's not going to be able to sell Vergne to DM as a Webber replacement when he's been dumped out in Q1 in three out of four races so far without any mitigating technical problems. It's a shame Ric didnt have a better yardstick like Alg to go against.

Gun drivers transcend their machinery, hence why Webber was always highly regarded even when he was in shitboxes. The cream rises to the top, the also-rans get knocked out in Q1.

#288 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,421 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 13:07

I still hear Vergne saying that even he would have outperformed Webber in the Red Bull in 2010... :lol:

Marko will be considering a mid-season swap of Vergne and Buemi already surely? Vergne might do better to learn some tricks travelling with the ace British squad as the reserve, and throw Beumi in to wrange some points out of the STR?

Edited by V8 Fireworks, 21 April 2012 - 13:10.

#289 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 13:11

Great performance today by Dan and obviously has the upper hand over Vergne in qualy so far, but it is only 3 and a half races into the season so I wouldn't be writing the frenchie off just yet...

#290 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 13:26

Mighty knee-jerk there folks. Superb qualy from Dan no doubt, and bafflingly slow from Vergne today, but from the past 3 weekends we already saw some interesting glimpses of Vergne's potential, nearly scoring points in his first GP, and then doing it in his second GP - in the rain! Indeed, he is ahead of Dan in the championship standings at the moment. And finished ahead of him in China despite starting from the pitlane. I don't think there's a clear pattern emerging as of yet, let's wait a few more weekends before suggesting Vergne's about to be replaced by Buemi (???).

Remember at this stage of their careers occasional impressive performances are more important than consistency. That tends to comes later with experience, you can learn consistency, you can't learn peak pace if you're not born with it. No doubt Dan impressed the shit out of everyone today, increasing his value immensely exactly because of that, but Vergne's allowed off-days because he's very quick on others too.

Edited by noikeee, 21 April 2012 - 13:27.

#291 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,547 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 13:29

:up:

#292 noikeee

noikeee

• 9,518 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 13:33

Also, the way F1 is with the introduction of DRS and these crazy tires, qualifying performance is much much less important than it was merely 2 years ago, because it's much easier to recover places during the race if you have race pace. I don't think people have re-formatted their minds to evaluate drivers according to that yet.

Before I'm slagged off by a bunch of aussies, I am of the opinion Dan has the most potential out of the two. I think on his day he is phenomenal, he wasn't given enough credit for some stellar WSR weekends, and his performance in the later races of the year last season with HRT, beating Liuzzi as a rookie much like a certain Sebastien did a few years ago, apparently was oblivious to everyone. I just happen to think Vergne is very good too.

#293 Jaybools

Jaybools

• 260 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 13:35

Aye, good post Noike, exactly what I was thinking (referring to your first post, and second as an aussie, heh). At the end of the day I think Marko and co made the right decision. We were waiting for Dan to have his extra special moment (Australia was good but not really special), and here it is. Outqualifying many with undoubtedly quicker cars.

Anyway, as I was saying with Marko, both have shown more promise than Buemi and Algu ever did. Dan here and Jev at Malaysia. Good times ahead :up:

Edited by Jaybools, 21 April 2012 - 13:36.

#294 HoldenRT

HoldenRT

• 5,312 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 14:14

I haven't followed this battle closely, and while I rate him quite highly, I've barely even remembered Ricciardo is on the grid (oops).

However that's an outstanding effort today, leaving his teammate in the dust and only 2 tenths off a McLaren? WTF? Fantastic job.

#295 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 14:22

Only 4 races in and both drivers are showing more than Buemi or Algy ever did. Decision vindicated.

Dan is a star,Vergne has much to learn with only 3 races under his belt.Looks promising for us Ozie fans.

#296 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 15:48

Only 4 races in and both drivers are showing more than Buemi or Algy ever did. Decision vindicated.

Dan is a star,Vergne has much to learn with only 3 races under his belt.Looks promising for us Ozie fans.

Yes, of course... :drunk: For the cameras both are as "invisible" as the duo before... :) (no matter what they do)... They are just living from a much bigger hype then Buemi and Algy, but their results or performances aren t any better...
But back to topic - very good job from Ricciardo today... It shows more and more that he will take the role of Buemi as a very solid qualifyier with a good one lap pace... Vergne at the moment is really awful on Saturday, but too me he is more impressive on race day, as fast as Ricciardo and a better point scorer... So it is the same situation as before... :lol:

Edited by marcoferrari, 21 April 2012 - 15:50.

#297 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 16:01

After 3 races they are already matching the best results achieved by the previous duo.Not 3 years 3 races.

Buemi and Algy were not getting the most out of the car and not up to f1 standards.

#298 Sardukar

Sardukar

• 433 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 16:09

Yes, of course... :drunk: For the cameras both are as "invisible" as the duo before... :) (no matter what they do)... They are just living from a much bigger hype then Buemi and Algy, but their results or performances aren t any better...
But back to topic - very good job from Ricciardo today... It shows more and more that he will take the role of Buemi as a very solid qualifyier with a good one lap pace... Vergne at the moment is really awful on Saturday, but too me he is more impressive on race day, as fast as Ricciardo and a better point scorer... So it is the same situation as before... :lol:

is this vergne the same "better" point scorer that was overtaken on the last lap by ricciardo for him to score 2 points in australia? :rotfl:

#299 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,399 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 16:11

They are just living from a much bigger hype then Buemi and Algy, but their results or performances aren t any better...

How do you know their performances aren't any better? They aren't driving the same car as Buemi and Alguersuari and the competition is different(and much tighter). Its impossible to say, but I think both have shown nice glimpses of potential in quite a short period of time. As a known Alguersuari fan, its hard not to see your posts with a clear gloss of bitterness all over them.

Its also too early to say one is a better qualifier and one is a better racer. Ricciardo showed he was fantastic in the races last year and I dont think that has suddenly gone away. Vergne is only 3 races and 4 qualifyings into his entire F1 career, so he should also be given more to be judged. He has plenty of time to turn things around. People calling for him to be replaced already is just mind-bogglingly premature, just like with people asking for Grosjean to be replaced after Malaysia. Some of you F1 fans need to relax a bit on these hasty, 'you're-only-as-good-as-your-last-session' conclusions and give it some time to see how things play out.

Also, @noikeee - :up: :up: for both posts.

Edited by Seanspeed, 21 April 2012 - 16:13.

Advertisement

#300 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 16:15

Watched a bit of JEVs onboard in qualy and he really looks to be over driving, locking up, spinning the rears, going too hot on corner entry constantly. We've seen he's got the pace to challenge Ric but he is trying too hard. Danny Ric is doing a stellar job at the moment though.