Photo

Kimi Raikkonen thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7550 replies to this topic

#1 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 16:07

Hokay,since the ''signing with lotus'' thread no longer seems relevant,i thought we should have a separate thread for his upcoming 2012 adventures.

ill start it off with his latest interview from Lotus's official site.

Kimi, it has been three weeks since you were confirmed as a Lotus Renault GP driver for the 2012 season. How have you found the reaction to your F1 return?
KR: I have been surprised at how big the reaction has been so I guess people must have missed me!

What has been the best moment so far?
KR: Sebastian Vettel’s impersonation of me at the Autosport awards! No, seriously, my two visits to Enstone have been great. The first one, at the team’s Christmas party, made me realise how much support I have there. The second one, last week, allowed me to understand that this team has not been world champion by coincidence. I also saw all the investments they have made recently: new simulator building, CFD upgrade, 60% wind tunnel… It gives me a lot of confidence for the season ahead.

How difficult do you think you will find it coming back?
KR: Let’s put it this way: before my two years of rallying I had nine seasons, 157 races and 18 wins in Formula 1. I know the sport well. When I went to rallying and when I tried NASCAR, there were many new things to learn, but with Formula 1 I feel like I’m coming home. I can’t wait to get behind the wheel.

Do you think it will take you long to get back up to speed?
KR: I hope not! I am more motivated than ever and I don’t think I’ve lost any speed. Getting on top of the tyres will be the hardest thing, of course, but I’m not really worried. Although the technical regulations don’t seem to change much, they apply to a lot of areas and quite a few elements will have to be re-designed. As a result, the cars will be significantly different next year. The order could be shaken up, which will make things very interesting.

What is your schedule in the build-up to testing?
KR: We don’t test the new car until February so it’s a long wait. However, I should be able to jump into a two-year-old F1 car in January. Of course, there will be the usual training, but I will also be working on getting to know the team better and making sure I fully understand all the changes since I have been away.

What are your targets for pre-season testing?
KR: Finding out if we have a fast car! For me, learning how the team works will be another important aspect. Learning Pirelli’s tyres will be the most important job, as it’s a different approach from what I experienced before.

What are your plans over the Christmas break? Have you got anything special arranged?
KR: I am doing a lot of training. The most important area for me is to get my neck strong enough again, especially as it will be put through its paces in testing. Of course, I will also be celebrating Christmas with my family.

Any more snowmobile races planned?
KR: I was surprised by how much attention there was over me falling off a snowmobile. You can watch what happened on YouTube and it was probably the smallest and slowest crash I’ve ever had. It is almost embarrassing! I won a snowmobile race right before the start of the 2007 season and that year didn’t go badly for me so who knows?

Advertisement

#2 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 16:10

What is your schedule in the build-up to testing?
KR: We don’t test the new car until February so it’s a long wait. However, I should be able to jump into a two-year-old F1 car in January. Of course, there will be the usual training, but I will also be working on getting to know the team better and making sure I fully understand all the changes since I have been away.

He's referring to the private tests on the 09 renault with this year's Pirellis..hope the dates get announced soon

#3 flyer121

flyer121

• 4,570 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 17:28

Good idea.
Nothing really to add.
Just wanted to be in the top 10 posts in this thread - Its going to be epic by my calculations ...

Guess I made the podium. :)

Edited by flyer121, 21 December 2011 - 17:28.

#4 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 17:53

Kimi, it has been three weeks since you were confirmed as a Lotus Renault GP driver for the 2012 season. How have you found the reaction to your F1 return?
KR: I have been surprised at how big the reaction has been so I guess people must have missed me!

What has been the best moment so far?
KR: Sebastian Vettel’s impersonation of me at the Autosport awards!

LOL, its good to see there are F1 drivers like Kimi and Sebastian that actually seem down to earth. Kimi probably had a good laugh when he saw Seb at the Autosport awards.

Beyond that I am very pleased to see Kimi so upbeat about the season. I truly believe in his motivation, and I think if he has a halfway decent car he should be able to put in some entertaining drives while preparing for a more competitive drive (in a Lotus or elsewhere).

#5 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 18:15

Any more snowmobile races planned?
KR: I was surprised by how much attention there was over me falling off a snowmobile. You can watch what happened on YouTube and it was probably the smallest and slowest crash I’ve ever had. It is almost embarrassing! I won a snowmobile race right before the start of the 2007 season and that year didn’t go badly for me so who knows?[/color]

can't beilve such a big deal was made

plus is kimi still sponsored by red bull till end of 2011?

#6 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 18:31

can't beilve such a big deal was made

plus is kimi still sponsored by red bull till end of 2011?

His contract with RB runs out at the end of 2012

#7 zarooch

zarooch

• 600 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 18:35

great! a new thread clean of all the... :clap:
:kiss:

#8 wrcva

wrcva

• 1,254 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 18:52

Tires will be the key but he is a quick study. :up:
He has not mentioned anything about the simulator (in the most recent article)... probably he still does not like them in any case.

#9 Mr j

Mr j

• 530 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:27

The interview doesn't sound like the Kimi we're used to, perhaps Lotus PR department had a finger in it or perhaps we're seeing the first signs of a more media friendly Kimi.

#10 T-Mobile

T-Mobile

• 665 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:29

Does this mean he'll be decked out in Red Bull apparel in the paddock? Seriously, it seems like there are only 2 or 3 drivers who are not sponsored by Red Bull. They must be loving it.

#11 nimbus111

nimbus111

• 481 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:32

Does this mean he'll be decked out in Red Bull apparel in the paddock? Seriously, it seems like there are only 2 or 3 drivers who are not sponsored by Red Bull. They must be loving it.

:up: :wave:

#12 adebiloid

adebiloid

• 37 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:40

Question - where this private test will take place? It's cold in January in UK, isn't it?

#13 jason1989

jason1989

• 44 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:46

Is there a video of the interview?

#14 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:50

Question - where this private test will take place? It's cold in January in UK, isn't it?

I'd guess Spain/France but they will also like most places be cold in January

#15 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:59

and I read he'll be sporting the RB logo on his helmet as well.

#16 Starish

Starish

• 1,773 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 20:19

Most likely to be Paul Ricard.

#17 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 20:44

So he'll have Red Bull sponsorship on his Helmet?

don't like that.

#18 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 14,150 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:01

don't like that.

not so sure about that....red bull did sponsor Kimi already when he was at Ferrari and there was no redbull logo on his helmet was there?

#19 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:13

I'd like to know when the first test with that 09 renault will be.

Thanks!

Advertisement

#20 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:20

Hokay,since the ''Kimi signing with lotus'' thread no longer seems relevant,
i thought we should have a separate thread for Kimi's upcoming 2012 adventures.

:up:

#21 Jacobss

Jacobss

• 188 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:27

The interview doesn't sound like the Kimi we're used to, perhaps Lotus PR department had a finger in it or perhaps we're seeing the first signs of a more media friendly Kimi.

Well, if you look at those 2 recent videos, then I think you should not be surprised that Kimi has changed. :)

Some people said that Kimi has changed, because during last 2 years he could "live the life". He did enter F1 almost as a kid and was there for the whole time, so he didn't look from the other perspective at this sport.

Edited by Jacobss, 21 December 2011 - 21:28.

#22 Starish

Starish

• 1,773 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:41

Thanks!

I hope they use the 2010 one instead.

#23 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:48

not so sure about that....red bull did sponsor Kimi already when he was at Ferrari and there was no redbull logo on his helmet was there?

I just really hope there isn't another RedBull helmet

#24 Trust

Trust

• 5,153 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 21:58

I would mind Red Bull logo on the helmet. Just don't want to see their colours and probably we won't be seeing them.

#25 Zava

Zava

• 7,116 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 22:03

okay, I read it on a site which is 50% bulls**t, but this one seemed OK to me. they were just writing about a traditional motive (the 'W' shaped thing on the top of the helmet maybe?) and some appearance of his personal sponsor, red bull.

#26 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 22:10

anyone know the song on kimiraikkonen

Edited by purplejohn, 21 December 2011 - 22:11.

#27 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 15,887 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 23:18

I hope they use the 2010 one instead.

Not allowed to...

#28 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 23:25

Not allowed to...

If the test is in January, wouldn't they be allowed to use the 2010 model? It would already be 2 years old, wouldn't it? :confused:

#29 purplejohn

purplejohn

• 1,601 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 23:29

If the test is in January, wouldn't they be allowed to use the 2010 model? It would already be 2 years old, wouldn't it? :confused:

its probably two years from season start?

#30 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 23:37

its probably two years from season start?

That's precisely where I doubt. I don't know when the "year" starts, if it's January 1st, when the tests start in
February in Jerez, or on Friday in Australia.

Now I'm curious about this. If somebody knows it for sure, I would be thankful to know the answer. :)

#31 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,407 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:38

I highly doubt that Kimi said half of this stuff. :lol:

#32 john_smith

john_smith

• 243 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:00

How difficult do you think you will find it coming back?
KR: Let’s put it this way: before my two years of rallying I had nine seasons, 157 races and 18 wins in Formula 1. I know the sport well. When I went to rallying and when I tried NASCAR, there were many new things to learn, but with Formula 1 I feel like I’m coming home. I can’t wait to get behind the wheel.

[/color]

i highly doubt kimi knows all of his stats by heart, or even if he did, he wouldn't mention them in answer to an interview question!

#33 zarooch

zarooch

• 600 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:03

yes, having followed Kimi since his very start, this interview certainly doesn't seems geniune from him. maybe some bits but no, i'm not sure that all of it is authentic/geniune from Kimi himself...

#34 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:45

Yeah the interveiw is not straight Kimi, more like Kimi ideas with some team input. I'd imagine the interview went something like this:

Lotus Writer: Kimi, it has been three weeks since you were confirmed as a Lotus Renault GP driver for the 2012 season. How have you found the reaction to your F1 return?
KR: I don't notice too much
Writer: Yeah, but did you expect such a big reaction in the press and in the paddock?
KR: I don't notice them
Writer: Well it was HUGE! So many people missed you a lot. So does that suprise you?
KR actual: I guess
Writer: So what if I write this: "I have been surprised at how big the reaction has been so I guess people must have missed me!"
KR actual: haha - ya sure okay

Writer: Okay, so what has been the best moment so far?
KR: Going to Autosport Awards (laugh).
Writer: (confused look) You went to the... (realization dawns on the writer late, as usual for most writers) Oh! (laugh). You mean Vettel's imitation of you - yeah that was funny. But I think we should talk about the team here and we can discuss some of the new innovations and your meeting the team at the party and all of that.
KR: okay
Writer: Or actually - I'll start with what you said - that will be funny.
KR: It was joking
Writer: I know, the people will love it. First I'll write "Sebastian Vettel’s impersonation of me at the Autosport awards!" (writer laughs at his own joke he didn't make in the first place) then I'll talk about the team...

and so on revising until the final interview was complete. :D I'm having a bit of fun, but actually, the funny stuff in the interview is very Kimi, he always cracked me up, but at times, it seemed that his humor went right over the interviewer's heads... Still, I would imagine that it is Kimi's ideas infused with some stuff that Renault wanted to get out there like the new windtunnel and such.

Edited by bourbon, 22 December 2011 - 05:08.

#35 FW09

FW09

• 318 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:39

Yeah the interveiw is not straight Kimi, more like Kimi ideas with some team input. I'd imagine the interview went something like this:

:rotfl: Yep, that's the real Kimi. :cool:

#36 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:43

Lotus Writer: Kimi, it has been three weeks since you were confirmed as a Lotus Renault GP driver for the 2012 season. How have you found the reaction to your F1 return?
Writer: Yeah, but did you expect such a big reaction in the press and in the paddock?
Writer: Well it was HUGE! So many people missed you a lot. So does that suprise you?
Writer: So what if I write this: "I have been surprised at how big the reaction has been so I guess people must have missed me!"

Writer: (confused look) You went to the... (realization dawns on the writer late, as usual for most writers) Oh! (laugh). You mean Vettel's imitation of you - yeah that was funny. But I think we should talk about the team here and we can discuss some of the new innovations and your meeting the team at the party and all of that.
Writer: I know, the people will love it. First I'll write "Sebastian Vettel’s impersonation of me at the Autosport awards!" (writer laughs at his own joke he didn't make in the first place) then I'll talk about the team...

and so on revising until the final interview was complete. :D I'm having a bit of fun, but actually, the funny stuff in the interview is very Kimi, he always cracked me up, but at times, it seemed that his humor went right over the interviewer's heads... Still, I would imagine that it is Kimi's ideas infused with some stuff that Renault wanted to get out there like the new windtunnel and such.

:D

#37 Menace

Menace

• 12,799 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:14

I suppose its not at all concievable that he actually has a bit of friendly banter, he has been much more open recently in the interviews so while I don't doubt some editing was done, it's not exactly impossible for me to believe he actually remembers how many races he has raced, and won. :drunk:

Edited by Menace, 22 December 2011 - 06:14.

#38 tommi34

tommi34

• 379 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:22

I don't think it's impossible he answered like that but most of the press release interviews like that are writed by PR staff of the teams.

#39 Meanie

Meanie

• 57 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:27

Brazil is pretty hot in January.
Come to Interlagos then! :p

Advertisement

#40 Mr j

Mr j

• 530 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:05

Pure gold! :rotfl:

#41 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:58

The regulation dont allow anything from the 2010,11 seasons..The ''two year'' old thing is measured from the ''current f1 season'' which is the 2011 season.that means he'll only get to use the 09 season Renault.

here are the regulations in detail

Testing regulations

rights reserved..from the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile.

22) TRACK AND WIND TUNNEL TESTING

22.1 Track testing shall be considered any track running time not part of an Event undertaken by a competitor entered in the Championship, using cars which conform substantially with the 2010, 2011 or 2012 Formula One Technical Regulations, with the exception of promotional events carried out using tyres provided specifically for this purpose by the appointed supplier.

22.2 No competitor may carry out more than 15,000km of track testing during a calendar year.

22.3 No track testing may take place :

a) Whilst a Championship Event is taking place.

B) During the month of August except under c) iii) below.

c) Between the start of the week preceding the first Event of the Championship and 31 December of the same year with the following exceptions :

i) One three day young driver training test, carried out on a site approved by the FIA for Formula 1 cars either, between the end of the last Event of the Championship and 31 December of the same year or, at any other time during the Championship season following the agreement of all competitors and the FIA. No driver who has competed in more than two F1 World Championship races may take part in this test and all drivers must be in possession of an International A Licence.

ii) Four one day aerodynamic tests carried out on FIA approved straight line or constant radius sites between 1 January 2012 and the end of the last Event of the Championship. Any of these days may be substituted for four hoursof wind-on full scale wind tunnel testing to be carried out in a single twenty four hour period.

iii) If a team declares that one of its current race drivers is to be substituted by a driver who has not participated in an F1 race in the two previous calendar years, one day of track testing will be permitted between the start of the week preceding second Event and the last Event of the Championship. The following must be observed :

- Any such day may only be carried out by the new driver and may not take place on a circuit hosting a race in the current Championship year.

- Any such day may only take place within a period 14 days prior to the substitution and 14 days after the substitution has taken place.

- If a team, having declared the driver's substitution and performed the test, does not then enter an Event with the new driver, the team will be penalised by a reduction of one day from the pre-season track testing days available in the following year.

22.4 During all track testing cars must be fitted with the FIA ECU required by Article 8.2 of the FIA Formula One Technical Regulations.

22.5 No track testing is permitted at sites which are not currently approved for use by Formula 1 cars. In order to ensure that venue licence conditions are respected at all times during track testing, competitors are required to inform the FIA of their test schedule in order that an observer maybe appointed if deemed necessary.

22.6 During all Formula One track testing :

a) Red flag and chequered flag procedures must be respected.

B) No other type of vehicle is permitted on the track.

c) Every reasonable effort should be made to ensure that the recommendations concerning emergency services detailed in Article 16 of Appendix H to the Code are followed.

22.7 If, after an incident during track testing, the Medical Warning Light signals that threshold forces have been exceeded the driver must present himself for examination in the circuit medical centre without delay.

22.8 With the exception of the full scale testing permitted in 22.1(a)above, no wind tunnel testing may be carried out using a scale model which is greater than 60% of full size.

22.9 No wind tunnel testing may be carried out at a speed exceeding 50metres/second.

Edited by grunge, 22 December 2011 - 10:02.

#42 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:04

Thanks!

Nobody knows the test dates or the location..all we know is that its supposed to take place privately in January.

#43 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:05

don't like that.

i seriously doubt he'll have RB on his helmet...seems really inappropriate

#44 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:07

PaulHembery Paul Hembery
“@ajokay85:loads of people on want to know what tyres Kimi will use on his pre-testing test in January.” 2011 test allocation I assume

#45 DrF

DrF

• 2,581 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:09

I guess the 2009 spec Renault will be easier to get used to than a 2011 car, seeing as he last drove a 2009 car. It's the tyres that he's going to have to adapt to, but his race engineer will be able to help him there. Anyone know who his race engineer will be?

#46 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:22

damn this bloke kimi has fan base here in the forum

#47 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:34

@grunge,

But, from January 1st 2012, is that 2011 season or 2012?

For example, June 2012 is clear, it is 2012 season and they are allowed to use the 2010 car for that kind of test, but not 2011, 2012 or 2013. But, which day (date) does that start?

#48 grunge

grunge

• 5,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:51

@grunge,

But, from January 1st 2012, is that 2011 season or 2012?

For example, June 2012 is clear, it is 2012 season and they are allowed to use the 2010 car for that kind of test, but not 2011, 2012 or 2013. But, which day (date) does that start?

The regulation are for ''all testing done after the 2011 ends and before the 2012 season kicks in''..that includes the testing done in February.so you cant use the 2010 car for testing done in February 2012...which means the current season would still be 2011 till the 2012 season actually kicks off which would be on the first Race weekend.(thats my understanding).

Edited by grunge, 22 December 2011 - 10:51.

#49 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,677 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:10

The regulation are for ''all testing done after the 2011 ends and before the 2012 season kicks in''..that includes the testing done in February.so you cant use the 2010 car for testing done in February 2012...which means the current season would still be 2011 till the 2012 season actually kicks off which would be on the first Race weekend.(thats my understanding).

:)

Not in a computer, so looking for information is difficult. That's why I'm so annoying asking questions.
Thanks!

#50 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,953 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 13:01

Yeah the interview is not straight Kimi, more like Kimi ideas with some team input. I'd imagine the interview went something like this:

Haha! Thats awesome bourbon :lol:
And probably not far from the truth either.