Kimi Raikkonen thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7550 replies to this topic

#4351 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,699 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:11

(...)
Although I can agree that Ferrari seemed very keen to get the most out of Massa and the least out of Kimi I didn't enjoy reading it. I started to think of children listening to Justin Bieber.

Well, that's your problem.

Advertisement

#4352 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

• 83 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:11

Also, the China GP weekend is not looking like it will be normal race conditions as rain is predicted for that weekend! I've been to the last 3 GPs there and it rained on 2 of them, lol.

Well it's still too far to make accurate weather forecast.

#4353 pUs

pUs

• 2,552 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:21

You people are getting boring with mentioning Alonso now or then. It doesn't matter the context it's just boring. :wave:

And look who just mentioned him. Again.

#4354 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:45

Well it's still too far to make accurate weather forecast.

here's to hoping! :cool:

#4355 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,169 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:07

Raikkonen says power steering issues almost gone

Lotus technical director James Allison thinks that when the team solves the steering problem, it will lead to a direct improvement in lap time for Raikkonen.

"Our latest set-up now gives Kimi sufficient assistance in the high speed, high load corners, but we still have yet to give him a power steering unit which offers the finesse he wants," he said. "We are working hard to provide him with perfect equipment so that he can deliver those last few tenths in qualifying."

autosport.com

#4356 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:24

"We're making progress in this area, but the way Kimi drives the car is to find the limit on the front axle and then adjust the car very delicately around that limit; he can only do that if the steering is giving him exquisite feedback.

can anyone explain?

what does it mean, what is he doing?

Edited by glorius&victorius, 05 April 2012 - 13:26.

#4357 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,062 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:31

"We're making progress in this area, but the way Kimi drives the car is to find the limit on the front axle and then adjust the car very delicately around that limit; he can only do that if the steering is giving him exquisite feedback.

can anyone explain?

Means what we already know: kimi needs very precise combo front suspension/camber/steering. He turns the car the less possible with a very precise gesture. For that he needs a lot of grip and a light steering for any correction. That's how understand it.

#4358 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,802 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 13:34

can anyone explain?

I guess he balances the car with the throttle at that point.

#4359 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:03

I've been as big a Kimi fan as any since Hakkinen retired...but I'm wondering if this "exquisite"-ness and "absolute precise"-ness stuff is actually bad to how he will end up being 'ranked' in his era(s).

I mean Jimmy Clark was known to drive almost anything - F1 cars, Lotus Cortinas, Indy Cars - extremely well ... and, now, Alonso is being touted as having 'more range' [:drunk:] and having the capacity to 'drive a dog' effectively and well (while Felipe' suffers horribly with it).

Button is another who is seen as needing 'a set up that is virtually 100 percent to his liking' and who has a 'very narrow window' of preference.

Is Kimi *that* compromised by these steering issues?

I find it hard to believe.

It's as if they're saying he needs perfection to go flat-out or 10-tenths whereas guys like Hamilton and Alonso don't neccessrily need it. And, as we all know, perfection only comes once or twice a year.

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 05 April 2012 - 14:05.

Advertisement

#4360 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 3,169 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:23

I've been as big a Kimi fan as any since Hakkinen retired...but I'm wondering if this "exquisite"-ness and "absolute precise"-ness stuff is actually bad to how he will end up being 'ranked' in his era(s).

I mean Jimmy Clark was known to drive almost anything - F1 cars, Lotus Cortinas, Indy Cars - extremely well ... and, now, Alonso is being touted as having 'more range' [:drunk:] and having the capacity to 'drive a dog' effectively and well (while Felipe' suffers horribly with it).

Button is another who is seen as needing 'a set up that is virtually 100 percent to his liking' and who has a 'very narrow window' of preference.

It's as if they're saying he needs perfection to go flat-out or 10-tenths whereas guys like Hamilton and Alonso don't neccessrily need it. And, as we all know, perfection only comes once or twice a year.

He said that the power steering issue doesn't necessarily affect his performance. It just means he needs to alter his driving style in order to be on pace. All drivers do that, and I don't think it puts them in different categories or different levels of performance just because they have different needs regarding setup. Kimi also has the capacity to drive a weaker car, he's been doing that for quite a while and quite well actually if you followed his debut year and 2009 respectively. Perhaps not to the same extent as Alonso, but not too far off either.

And plus, I believe everyone is going flat-out in qualifying, but a lot depends on how strong the car and the setup is. It's not just the driver, remember that.

#4361 Wander

Wander

• 2,284 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:27

The best drivers know what they want. It reminds me of those videos of youtube where Jackie Stewart tests different race cars and he always talks about how the driver has to be comfortable in the car to be able to push the car to the limit of its potential and the driver's abilities. He, for example, points out how the 1988? Benetton had all the instruments awkwardly set up in the cockpit, because the team had not had an experienced driver in the team who would be bold enough to demand things like that to be improved.

So I don't think it's that Kimi is any more compromised by these steering issues than any other driver, but rather the fact that he knows that there is room for improvement and has no trouble saying it aloud.

#4362 icecream_man

icecream_man

• 1,031 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:37

He said that the power steering issue doesn't necessarily affect his performance. It just means he needs to alter his driving style in order to be on pace. All drivers do that, and I don't think it puts them in different categories or different levels of performance just because they have different needs regarding setup. Kimi also has the capacity to drive a weaker car, he's been doing that for quite a while and quite well actually if you followed his debut year and 2009 respectively. Perhaps not to the same extent as Alonso, but not too far off either.

And plus, I believe everyone is going flat-out in qualifying, but a lot depends on how strong the car and the setup is. It's not just the driver, remember that.

Agreed
I don't believe there's a single driver on the grid who wouldn't get a bit extra out of a car if it's exactly to their preference, it's inevitable, doesn't mean they're anything less of a driver because of it

It's a good thing that Kimi knows exactly what he needs to get that extra bit of speed and is able to provide precise feedback to help the engineers provide it imo, not a bad thing at all

#4363 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:45

...he's been doing that for quite a while and quite well actually if you followed his debut year and 2009 respectively. Perhaps not to the same extent as Alonso, but not too far off either.

Cheers, Cyanide! (I've enjoyed your Kimi-supportive posts, FYI)

I have followed Kimi's entire F1 career so I do know what you're saying.

It's that Prost, for instance (and Button too (seemingly)), needed (needs) the set up to be "absolutely, perfectly, precisely 100 percent" to his "liking" in order to beat Senna (and, in Button's case, Hamilton) in a straight-forward dry race. At least that was the preception or the impression that was (/is) left.

I'm hoping Raikkonen doesn't get tagged with this reputation per se'. I can hear it now! "O Kimi could only manage 4th because the steering wasn't 100.00 % precise...Meanwhile Nando's winning with a 'Pig'!" :well:

Perhaps Lotus is being more communicative with it's global audience about Kimi's technical details than McLaren and Ferrari ever were?

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 05 April 2012 - 14:51.

#4364 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

• 83 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:53

can anyone explain?

He drive a car.

#4365 motorhead

motorhead

• 934 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 14:55

Perhaps Lotus is being more communicative with it's global audience about Kimi's technical details than McLaren and Ferrari ever were?

I have been thinking the same - they know that the media is publishing almost everything what Kimi does - the ice cream in Malesia, 1st of April joke etc

#4366 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

• 83 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 15:03

Who told you Kimi has been compromised by steering? Different cars suits different drivers different. Someone prefers OS, someone US. To squeeze maximum from the car any driver needs everything to be perfect to his preferences.

#4367 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 15:25

To squeeze maximum from the car any driver needs everything to be perfect to his preferences.

Some have been known to win when everything isn't 100% to their liking, including Kimi, I might add!

"Extracting Maximum Performance" is one thing. Winning/Results is another.

The last think I'd like Kimi to be known for from 2012 is "not winning only because his steering preferences weren't 100 point Zero Zero percent to his liking". That's the last thing I'd want for him.

[From Malaysia we're told Kimi "could have" challenged for the 1st row of the Grid if not for this-that-or-the-other.]

Hopefully he can get a very good result in China with a straight forward meeting. If that means that all he can do is finish a fighting 4th behind two McLarens and, say, Vettel after having qualified 5th behind them and Webber's RBR - with Grosjean behind him - then so be it. I'll be fine with it.

But if Grosjean out-qualifies Kimi and out-races him in a fairly straight-forward situation...AND they 'blame' the steering not being 100 percent "perfect", then that won't be good for his reputation.

If Grosjean beats Kimi straight-up in Q3 and then in the Grand Prix in Shanghai and they say...:

...Kimi still doesn't have "...the power steering unit which offers the finesse he wants. We're making progress in this area, but the way Kimi drives the car is to find the limit on the front axle and then adjust the car very delicately around that limit; he can only do that if the steering is giving him exquisite feedback. We are working hard to provide him with perfect equipment so that he can deliver ..."

...well, then that won't be good for him or us. Alonso and Hamilton fans will have a field day here.

Let's hope for the best case scenario. There's nothing like winning, is there?

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 05 April 2012 - 15:47.

#4368 discover23

discover23

• 4,296 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 15:49

Who told you Kimi has been compromised by steering? Different cars suits different drivers different. Someone prefers OS, someone US. To squeeze maximum from the car any driver needs everything to be perfect to his preferences.

And some other drivers change their driving style to align with the characteristics of the car.
 ;)

#4369 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 16:00

So there is no point to post news about Kimi or Lotus in this thread, because they will be drowned by crap that has been discussed thousand times already. I was willing to post news if i find them, but no more. :wave:

#4370 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,291 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 16:21

And some other drivers change their driving style to align with the characteristics of the car.
;)

Oh silly me! I thought some other drivers were so good developing cars that the teams would make the car that would fit like a globe to them... Oh wait! that was wrong, the story changed and then, they didn't develop cars any longer. The story was that some other drivers are such good leaders that they can lead the team to victory... oh wait! now the real story is that some other drivers don't develop or lead, the only thing they can do is to just adapt as well as they can to whatever they get because they can't influence it. Oh, so many 3 page-long e-mails giving feed back, so many days in the factory, so many hours debriefing after the races, so much telling the world how much they work compared to the others and then... all that feed-back brings nothing and the only thing left is to try to adapt. So saaaaaaaaaaad. :cry:
********************************************+

@Ray (and in a serious non-trolling tone):
After the Lotus guys begun with this story (it was Lotus, not Räikkönen, who told about it), the McLaren engineers admitted Kimi used to drive them absolutely mad with the steering thing when he was in McLaren. Did you ever notice that at the time? Nope. Also Gené told Spanish TV that Räikkönen was a pain in the neck about the steering when he was in Ferrari, and he also explained it's a pretty usual and logical thing and, from what I understood, even "some other drivers that change their driving style to align with the characteristics of the car" are such a big pain in the neck about the steering as Räikkönen is. When Räikkönen was rallying he also cared a lot about the steering what meant a lot of differentials changes during midday services (and he was not the only one, Loeb does it quite often too).

In short: He's always been that exigent about the steering racks as he is now and as many other drivers are. It has never been a real problem. The guy adapts to whatever car he has but, of course, he can drive more brilliantly if he feels more confident with the car. The only difference with the previous 11 years is that his actual team has decided to write articles about it.

#4371 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 16:35

Sorry Sherlock, but you can't have it both ways. Kimi extended his contract on his own to secure his finances, remember? Ferrari was secretly planning to get rid of him since the Summer of 2008. According to the tinfoil theories anyway.

Yep Kimi was getting screwed by Ferrari so much that he decided to extend his contract :stoned:

Massa was, until Alonso came along, the most overrated driver, especially because he was able to beat the then very highly rated Kimi in this infamous period between mid 2008 and mid 2009.

OTOH, and because of that, Kimi is still underrated by many.

I'd wish to see other drivers coming back after two years off, with completely different tyres (Pirelli) and being competitive from day one, which he was.

Whit that steep adaptation curve, he'll be at his maximum very soon. Hopefully Lotus can keep up.

F1 comeback easy with 'good car' - Raikkonen
http://www.motorspor...-car-raikkonen/

Looks like Kimi is more down to earth than some of his fans

#4372 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 16:39

The only difference with the previous 11 years is that his actual team has decided to write articles about it.

Which is what I actually alluded to and wondered.

Thanks, arista.

Let's hope Kimi has a trouble free Chinese weekend. Let's hope for a weekend like the Spanish one at Catalunya in 2008!

One also hopes that Lotus can actually have proper pitstops instead of losing 2 or 3 or 4 seconds to the Ferrari-for-Alonso pitstops.

No use finding 2-tenths for one flying lap in Q3 when you're losing 3 seconds every other pitstop!

#4373 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 16:46

:up: @ wcrwa, awesome work to gather all that info together. Pretty much confirms what we all know was happening. As a Kimi fan I have to say, if there was 1 good thing that came out of the terrible tragedy that was Massa's accident in Hungary, it was that we got to saw the real Kimi till the end of the season. Getting beaten by Massa (who although was significantly better driver pre-Hun09 to post, never was quite at the top level IMO) to being the best driver from that till the end of the season, almost scornig as much as Hamilton and Vettel with a significantly more uncompetitive car.

I agree with your sentiment, but honestly this tells more about Kimi as a person than anything else. For example Fernando or Lewis would certainly still be talking about it, OTOH with them something like this would've been harder to pull.

He probably would have outscored Hamilton and Vettel in the final half if it wasn't for Webber chopping Raikkonen's wing in Brazil when he challenged to pass for second. This resulted in the pitstop fireball, Kimi persevered but only managed sixth place. Webber won of course.

#4374 yr

yr

• 5,970 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 17:09

Looks like Kimi is more down to earth than some of his fans

Funnily enough, same goes for Fernando and his fans. Fernando himself told to press he is not the fastest but his fans keep on insisting he is best ever. Well, he certainly is more down to earth than his fans, isnt he.

#4375 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 17:14

Some have been known to win when everything isn't 100% to their liking, including Kimi, I might add!

"Extracting Maximum Performance" is one thing. Winning/Results is another.

The last think I'd like Kimi to be known for from 2012 is "not winning only because his steering preferences weren't 100 point Zero Zero percent to his liking". That's the last thing I'd want for him.

[From Malaysia we're told Kimi "could have" challenged for the 1st row of the Grid if not for this-that-or-the-other.]

Hopefully he can get a very good result in China with a straight forward meeting. If that means that all he can do is finish a fighting 4th behind two McLarens and, say, Vettel after having qualified 5th behind them and Webber's RBR - with Grosjean behind him - then so be it. I'll be fine with it.

But if Grosjean out-qualifies Kimi and out-races him in a fairly straight-forward situation...AND they 'blame' the steering not being 100 percent "perfect", then that won't be good for his reputation.

If Grosjean beats Kimi straight-up in Q3 and then in the Grand Prix in Shanghai and they say...:

...Kimi still doesn't have "...the power steering unit which offers the finesse he wants. We're making progress in this area, but the way Kimi drives the car is to find the limit on the front axle and then adjust the car very delicately around that limit; he can only do that if the steering is giving him exquisite feedback. We are working hard to provide him with perfect equipment so that he can deliver ..."

...well, then that won't be good for him or us. Alonso and Hamilton fans will have a field day here.

Let's hope for the best case scenario. There's nothing like winning, is there?

Well to be fair to Kimi even with the steering not being perfect he was still quicker than Grosjean in Malaysia

#4376 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 17:32

He probably would have outscored Hamilton and Vettel in the final half if it wasn't for Webber chopping Raikkonen's wing in Brazil when he challenged to pass for second. This resulted in the pitstop fireball, Kimi persevered but only managed sixth place. Webber won of course.

Of course coveniently forgetting Webber puncturing Lewis's rear tyre in Germany and his brakes failing in Abu Dhabi whilst leading

Funnily enough, same goes for Fernando and his fans. Fernando himself told to press he is not the fastest but his fans keep on insisting he is best ever. Well, he certainly is more down to earth than his fans, isnt he.

I was surprised when Alonso said that and recently Jenson said similar when asked if he'd like to have Alonso as a teammate, maybe this is from data acquired in 2007 at McLaren?

#4377 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,925 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 18:14

It does make me wonder whether other drivers cope with sub-par steering. Unless you push and ask for something maybe you'll never know what you're missing out on.

#4378 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 18:21

Of course coveniently forgetting Webber puncturing Lewis's rear tyre in Germany and his brakes failing in Abu Dhabi whilst leading

Of course Germany was in the first half of the year (we were talking about the final half!) and Abu Dhabi was a mechanical failure and not the result of a maneuver from the likes of Webber. I wasn't very impressed by Webber and his making unnecessary contact in 2009.

Both Hamilton and Raikkonen did well with bad cars in 2009 although McLaren had continued development whereas Ferrari gave up mid season.

#4379 Wander

Wander

• 2,284 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 18:53

I think it could be argued that the McLaren wasn't at all a bad car at the end of the season.

Advertisement

#4380 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 19:01

I think it could be argued that the McLaren wasn't at all a bad car at the end of the season.

It can be argued that from germany/hungary on they were both pretty good cars.

#4381 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 19:09

McLaren was either fastest or co-fastest car at almost any circuit during the final 3rd of 2009. Woking kept developing to the last.

It was so good that even Kovalainen was favoured to win the Italian Grand Prix at Monza! Remember that race? Kovy was supposed to win...but he alarmingly went backwards and, effectively, put a nail into his coffin at the Sharp End.

Whereas the McLaren was winning and challenging Red Bulls for wins that Autumn, the Ferrari F60 was not only behind Brawns but also got leap-frogged by Toyotas and BMWs and, on the fast circuits like Spa and Monza, was even at the mercy of the Force Indias of Fisichella and Sutil!!

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 05 April 2012 - 19:21.

#4382 CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown

• 83 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 19:47

..But if Grosjean out-qualifies Kimi and out-races him in a fairly straight-forward situation...AND they 'blame' the steering not being 100 percent "perfect", then that won't be good for his reputation.

Why are you keep whining? What, if - let's wait and see. I bet Kimi will be on top once again both in qualie and race with normal circumstances. To your knowledge French has never raced in Shanghai. :wave:

Edited by CharlieBrown, 05 April 2012 - 19:49.

#4383 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 19:51

Of course Germany was in the first half of the year (we were talking about the final half!) and Abu Dhabi was a mechanical failure and not the result of a maneuver from the likes of Webber. I wasn't very impressed by Webber and his making unnecessary contact in 2009.

Both Hamilton and Raikkonen did well with bad cars in 2009 although McLaren had continued development whereas Ferrari gave up mid season.

Well there was 17 races and Germany was the 9th race so perhaps you're being a bit selective there? Also i would argue that a mechanical failure is more beyond the control of a driver than a racing incident. I wouldnt disgree too much with you about Webber though who continued in similar vein in 2010 as well.

McLaren was either fastest or co-fastest car at almost any circuit during the final 3rd of 2009. Woking kept developing to the last.

It was so good that even Kovalainen was favoured to win the Italian Grand Prix at Monza! Remember that race? Kovy was supposed to win...but he alarmingly went backwards and, effectively, put a nail into his coffin at the Sharp End.

Whereas the McLaren was winning and challenging Red Bulls for wins that Autumn, the Ferrari F60 was not only behind Brawns but also got leap-frogged by Toyotas and BMWs and, on the fast circuits like Spa and Monza, was even at the mercy of the Force Indias of Fisichella and Sutil!!

Well at Spa the Force India qualified on pole, Kimi was 6th, the two McLaren's were 12th and 15th

#4384 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 20:56

Well there was 17 races and Germany was the 9th race so perhaps you're being a bit selective there? Also i would argue that a mechanical failure is more beyond the control of a driver than a racing incident. I wouldnt disgree too much with you about Webber though who continued in similar vein in 2010 as well.

Yes it was the 9th, eight races before and eight races after. So the second half of the season started on lap 31 of that race if you are trying to be exactly precise. Since Webber clipped Hamilton at the first corner that was definitely in the first half of the year! Anyway, we were talking about post Massa who had his last race in Germany that year.

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 06 April 2012 - 17:10.

#4385 Niro

Niro

• 214 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 23:25

I'm a Kimifan and I think the post from wrcva was painful to read. I started to think of children listening to Justin Bieber.

You sir, who call yourself Kimifan and FenderJaguar and have an Aston Martin as your avatar, I hereby ring the bell. The Bieber bell.
When the moth is ready, there is no room for babies.

#4386 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 23:46

Well at Spa the Force India qualified on pole, Kimi was 6th, the two McLaren's were 12th and 15th

Kimi actually had a engine failure at Germany himself.

Edited by intelligentsia, 05 April 2012 - 23:46.

#4387 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 00:15

Yes it was the 9th. eight races before and eight races after. So the second half of the season started on lap 31 of that race if we are trying to be exactly precise. Since Webber clipped Hamilton at the first corner that was definitely in the first half of the year! Anyway, we were talking about post Massa who had his last race in Germany that year.

Just too be pedantic his last meeting was Hungary

Kimi actually had a engine failure at Germany himself.

That evens it up then and no if this and if that

#4388 shabz

shabz

• 23 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:07

So there is no point to post news about Kimi or Lotus in this thread, because they will be drowned by crap that has been discussed thousand times already. I was willing to post news if i find them, but no more. :wave:

:up: .. and it is fascinating to see so many "Kimi fans" .. with so much negative "WHAT IFs" .. for some RG finishing ahead of Kimi can't come sooner.. and everyone of them has to start with .. "I am a KIMI fan" ...

Edited by shabz, 06 April 2012 - 01:08.

#4389 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,699 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:36

#4390 hijinx

hijinx

• 626 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:52

Oh silly me! I thought some other drivers were so good developing cars that the teams would make the car that would fit like a globe to them... Oh wait! that was wrong, the story changed and then, they didn't develop cars any longer. The story was that some other drivers are such good leaders that they can lead the team to victory... oh wait! now the real story is that some other drivers don't develop or lead, the only thing they can do is to just adapt as well as they can to whatever they get because they can't influence it. Oh, so many 3 page-long e-mails giving feed back, so many days in the factory, so many hours debriefing after the races, so much telling the world how much they work compared to the others and then... all that feed-back brings nothing and the only thing left is to try to adapt. So saaaaaaaaaaad. :cry:
********************************************+

@Ray (and in a serious non-trolling tone):
After the Lotus guys begun with this story (it was Lotus, not Räikkönen, who told about it), the McLaren engineers admitted Kimi used to drive them absolutely mad with the steering thing when he was in McLaren. Did you ever notice that at the time? Nope. Also Gené told Spanish TV that Räikkönen was a pain in the neck about the steering when he was in Ferrari, and he also explained it's a pretty usual and logical thing and, from what I understood, even "some other drivers that change their driving style to align with the characteristics of the car" are such a big pain in the neck about the steering as Räikkönen is. When Räikkönen was rallying he also cared a lot about the steering what meant a lot of differentials changes during midday services (and he was not the only one, Loeb does it quite often too).

In short: He's always been that exigent about the steering racks as he is now and as many other drivers are. It has never been a real problem. The guy adapts to whatever car he has but, of course, he can drive more brilliantly if he feels more confident with the car. The only difference with the previous 11 years is that his actual team has decided to write articles about it.

great post Artista! :up:

#4391 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:36

The best drivers know what they want. It reminds me of those videos of youtube where Jackie Stewart tests different race cars and he always talks about how the driver has to be comfortable in the car to be able to push the car to the limit of its potential and the driver's abilities. He, for example, points out how the 1988? Benetton had all the instruments awkwardly set up in the cockpit, because the team had not had an experienced driver in the team who would be bold enough to demand things like that to be improved.

So I don't think it's that Kimi is any more compromised by these steering issues than any other driver, but rather the fact that he knows that there is room for improvement and has no trouble saying it aloud.

Well-said!

#4392 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 665 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:45

Yeah, the guy just want to have his own steering preferences to help the team to move forward. I don't see why this is a problem.

#4393 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,572 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:08

Just wanted to pipe in & say that it's so great to have the Iceman back in F1 where he belongs. And I think his immediate turn of speed is indicative of a special talent. I'm genuinely glad to see him back. :up:

#4394 DrF

DrF

• 1,541 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:31

... in a team which listens to his requests. I feel he and RG will be challenging for podiums very soon. Give them a normal race with a bit of luck and some quick pitstops and they are up there spraying the Moet.

#4395 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,897 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:24

Posted Image

Neat little preview for China by Will Gray: Gray Matter: Raikkonen's big opportunity

Lotus also made an astute move when they signed Raikkonen, bringing in the Finn's former race engineer to re-unite a strong team. The relationship and technical understanding between engineer and driver is crucial. With such little time during each Grand Prix weekend to optimise set-up, it is vital that an engineer is able to interpret a driver's feedback and convert it into positive engineering changes. This only comes with experience.

#4396 kartinhero

kartinhero

• 321 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:24

I can already taste the MUMM

#4397 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,458 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:38

You sir, who call yourself Kimifan and FenderJaguar and have an Aston Martin as your avatar, I hereby ring the bell. The Bieber bell.
When the moth is ready, there is no room for babies.

I haven't thought about that so nice observation. Fender Jaguar is a very nice guitar and the Aston Martin is what Sean Connery drove in Goldfinger and Thunderball. That is correct. I started out with a picture of a guitar but I change it from time to time. Maybe that is the Bieber in me trying to get out. I don't know.

Edited by FenderJaguar, 06 April 2012 - 08:41.

#4398 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,897 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:46

Haha! "The Bieber bell". That is awesome. Will have to use that sometime.

#4399 Niro

Niro

• 214 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 15:24

Haha! "The Bieber bell". That is awesome. Will have to use that sometime.

Feel free! I was just confusing a cat - and did a pretty decent job, if you ask me. :smoking:

Advertisement

#4400 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 570 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 15:53

Nope!

I'm 100 correct.

Kovalainen was the highest-placed of the one-fuel stop qualifiers. Kovy was 4th on the grid...ahead of the two Brawns. When the Q3 fuel loads were released, it became apparent that Kovy and the Brawns were probably best placed to fight for the win because the 3 guys ahead had been fueled shorter. The grid was:

HAM - SUT

RAI - KOV

BAR - BUT

Hamilton, Sutil and Raikkonen were going to be two-stopping. Kovalainen was, supposedly, favoured to win - or at least beat the Brawns. Instead, Kovalainen kept going backwards in an alarming fashion and his goose at McLaren was possibly cooked at that Grand Prix. They (McLarens) were left unimpressed with the Finn.

Brawns finished 1-2, Barrichello ahead of Button...and Kimi took the final podium spot when Lewis binned it into the barriers at the Lesmos on the last lap.

Edited by RayInTorontoCanada, 06 April 2012 - 15:57.