Photo

Kimi Raikkonen thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7550 replies to this topic

#4551 dtc

dtc

• 82 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:33

It's not that he doesn't want to. How to put it? If the team makes him use the simulator, they will get out a driver looking all green, walking in zig-zag and will have to clean a lot inside the simulator ;)

Ha ha, great reply! :up: :rotfl:

Advertisement

#4552 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:33

Good (solid) qualifying from our Kimbo! :up:

Not sure about the podium tomorrow! The big guys (with the better race pace?) are behind him! Let´s wait and see :)

Is their some chance for rain tomorrow? And the cold weather isn´t that good either!

#4553 icecream_man

icecream_man

• 1,031 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:42

The big boys are indeed behind, but to counter that I'm fully expecting the Mercs to slip backwards so a podium could be a possibility

Great job in quali :)

#4554 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:43

Who has better race pace? How did you conclude that? As we can now, maybe Lotus was having much bigger fuel load during FP2 than others.
Kimi will be strong believe me, he just has to have a good start and overtake Kobayashi going in T1, the rest will be history. Mercedes won't cope with tyre degradation and our boy will make it count! Have a strong feeling for a win tomorrow. :up:

#4555 sheSgoTthElooK

sheSgoTthElooK

• 276 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:50

http://www.fia.com/e...ing-sectors.pdf

first sector good, second and what's more important third sector also quite average.

max. speed trap

http://www.fia.com/e...ying-speeds.pdf

#4556 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,319 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:50

From 4th!!!!! Yeah BABY!!! GO KIMI GO!!!! Awesome qually in that Lotus and looking forward to bringing it in race. :D :up:

#4557 beute

beute

• 1,199 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:55

Good position for kimi! i think he could go for a podium tomorrow!

One question: On the german tv station rtl (i dont like them at all) they said that kimi dont do any simulator work because he doesnt want to! is that true ? does grosjean all the work?

greetz

It's just Christian Danner talking trash, like he always does.
the RTL commentators are beyond bad.

He also seems to have an agenda against KR since he took out Sutil in monaco 2008, where Danner called him an idiot...
In australia for example he said that he doesnt expect anything from Kimi and that Grosjean will be the man to beat at lotus.(before the qualifying)

#4558 spinster

spinster

• 597 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:56

Sauber has better race pace than Lotus...

based on? i highly doubt that!

#4559 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:00

Looks like Kimi did s lot better job than the last two. Great starting from the secon row will give him the shot to climb up on podium. Looking forward to the race pace that Lotus Team can generate. Tomorrow is the day the team must perform in harmony with Kimi!!

Advertisement

#4560 intelligentsia

intelligentsia

• 2,357 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:11

Kimi is in a great position for tomorrow, the only thing I am worried about is the start. Button, Webber and Lewis will be right behind Kimi and Kimi will be starting from the dirty side. I think the start will be the most important thing. And I hope it remains dry during the race.

#4561 TheFlou

TheFlou

• 24 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:11

It's just Christian Danner talking trash, like he always does.
the RTL commentators are beyond bad.

He also seems to have an agenda against KR since he took out Sutil in monaco 2008, where Danner called him an idiot...
In australia for example he said that he doesnt expect anything from Kimi and that Grosjean will be the man to beat at lotus.(before the qualifying)

yes i know its by far the worst f1 coverage i know! :drunk: but today i was forced to watch it!

i dont know about kimi's motion sickness so thanks for that!

greetz

Edited by TheFlou, 14 April 2012 - 08:12.

#4562 weareracing

weareracing

• 888 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:50

Excellent qualifying from Kimi, now all he needs is a DRY race-day.
With no DRS for the first 2 laps, and thereafter only in the one zone on the long back straight, I don't think the Mercedes will be as strong in racetrim, tyre-wear will also be a factor.
If Kimi is clean on the first 2 laps I think he will be fighting Sauber, McLaren and Red Bull for the podium.
The top step maybe? :smoking:

#4563 Sith

Sith

• 1,306 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:11

Overheard a big condo in the paddock today from Allison talking as to why the car isn't working very well here.. 1st sector is great! but rest of the lap the car is inconsistent.. I would expect the Sauber to be better in the race, but i think it's all in the start, (who gains-loses positions..) from there the 1st stint will shape the race for all... he also mentioned the upgrades to come for Barca, and ruled out having upgrades at the rate of the big 3 teams...

Kimi's best chance for podium would be to take the lead at turn 1...

Edited by Sith, 14 April 2012 - 09:11.

#4564 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:16

TBH I don´t expect a podium tomorrow!

Kimi´s not happy either (source: MTV3 ... google translation)

Kimi was disappointed at their very best - see the video!

Kimi Raikkonen fought lähtöruutunsa best season so far, after the Chinese GP, time trial fourth.

That sounds like a good result is not satisfied with the success of hungry people in Finland.

- It is a running. We are now the source of the fourth, but it's more for the other due to bad luck, Raikkonen said on MTV3's interview.

Räikkönen According to Lotus, the team ordered the new parts did not work as expected in the car, so had to use old parts.

- The pace is not what you hoped for, Räikkönen complained.

According to Lotus, Räikkönen's race pace is a little mystery.

#4565 Vesuvius

Vesuvius

• 5,807 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:26

Kimi says on video that: " I don't know if it was good or bad, it has been difficult all weekend and their speed is not where we wanted it to be. todays result doesn't satisfied because it didn't game with the speed we hoped for and it's mainly due to others bad luck then our own good speed. our new parts didn't work so we took them away and used old parts but their speed compared to others is not as good as it was at melbourne and malaysia and racepace is a mystery because we haven't been able to do long runs but I hope it will be good".

Edited by Vesuvius, 14 April 2012 - 09:26.

#4566 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:47

He may not be happy, but he has said he hopes for a podium! Upgrades, blah blah, aside, he has the best starting position of this season yet. He knows in spite of everything, tomorrow may offer the best chance of the season so far.

#4567 spinster

spinster

• 597 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:51

He may not be happy, but he has said he hopes for a podium! Upgrades, blah blah, aside, he has the best starting position of this season yet. He knows in spite of everything, tomorrow may offer the best chance of the season so far.

Kimi rarely said that he's completely happy and as we all know Kimi's race pace is TOP

#4568 fatd

fatd

• 800 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:57

considering his race performance, i think it'll be safe to expect a podium finish. it's all down to Lotus's race strategy for tomorrow.

#4569 spinster

spinster

• 597 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:02

considering his race performance, i think it'll be safe to expect a podium finish. it's all down to Lotus's race strategy for tomorrow.

indead...a clear start and get oast kobi...

#4570 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:06

If Kimi can get oast Koba at the start, which is vital given the Sauber's straight line speed, he's got to be one of the favourites for the win. I'm doing the usual Grand National bet shortly and i'm going to stick a tenner on Kimi for the win. Fingers crossed X

#4571 spinster

spinster

• 597 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:08

If Kimi can get oast Koba at the start, which is vital given the Sauber's straight line speed, he's got to be one of the favourites for the win. I'm doing the usual Grand National bet shortly and i'm going to stick a tenner on Kimi for the win. Fingers crossed X

:up:

#4572 Bosseking

Bosseking

• 163 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:20

Once again I'm really happy about Kimi's performance. His Q2 lap was good again and Q3 wasn't too shabby either. Definitely chance for podium as long as the car works. Hopefully isn't too cold tomorrow and doesn't rain.

For me beating Grosjean is the main thing, everything else is a plus. Disappointing that the improvements did not work, but the car still seems rather strong even with the older configuration.

#4573 Adelaide

Adelaide

• 205 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:27

Quick question. I was following quali on TV with no extra information and I'm not quite clear what happend at the end of Q3. Did Kimi complete a flying lap but was not able to better his earlier effort or did he pull out of the lap because he made a mistake? Whatever happend, good thing he had his early quick time before the track cooled too much more. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

#4574 bernardv

bernardv

• 123 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:28

Kimi for president!

#4575 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:32

Congrats Kimi for a great effort in quali!

The start tomorrow will be crucial, if he can survive that a podium is on hands.

#4576 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:34

Quick question. I was following quali on TV with no extra information and I'm not quite clear what happend at the end of Q3. Did Kimi complete a flying lap but was not able to better his earlier effort or did he pull out of the lap because he made a mistake? Whatever happend, good thing he had his early quick time before the track cooled too much more. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

"Kimi was the first driver out on track as the green lights were illuminated; just 10 minutes remaining for the drivers to show their hand.

Not satisfied with his initial effort, the Finn returned to the pits for a fresh set of tyres having set just one flying lap. As his team mate headed back to base, Romain fired his E20 out onto the circuit for his one and only stint. Having used his quota of fresh rubber in Q2, the Frenchman was unfortunately unable to produce his best, ultimately opting not to attempt a flying lap.

Kimi’s second run was significantly more productive, with the 2007 World Champion putting the trials and tribulations of Friday’s practice sessions well and truly to rest. When the chequered flag dropped at the end of a frantic final minute on track, the Finn found himself in an impressive P5 after setting a fastest time of 1:35.898 from 5 laps."

[Five laps] Second timed lap the best and track didn't improve later?

#4577 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,201 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:35

During the second half of Q3, track temperature dropped sharply with the arrival of some clouds and fog and with it the performance of the tyres too (for all drivers). As a matter of fact, it played in Kimi's hands; he had been the first on track and got the best conditions with his first tyre-set. Had the temperature not dropped, he probably would not start 4th tomorrow.

#4578 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:37

The bet is placed! Got him at 10.5 and laid a tenner down so if he pulls it off i'm laughing! :D Although was very tempted by Webber at 19 but in the Iceman i have faith, come one Kimi!

#4579 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,201 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:40

"Kimi was the first driver out on track as the green lights were illuminated; just 10 minutes remaining for the drivers to show their hand.

Not satisfied with his initial effort, the Finn returned to the pits for a fresh set of tyres having set just one flying lap. As his team mate headed back to base, Romain fired his E20 out onto the circuit for his one and only stint. Having used his quota of fresh rubber in Q2, the Frenchman was unfortunately unable to produce his best, ultimately opting not to attempt a flying lap.

Kimi’s second run was significantly more productive
, with the 2007 World Champion putting the trials and tribulations of Friday’s practice sessions well and truly to rest. When the chequered flag dropped at the end of a frantic final minute on track, the Finn found himself in an impressive P5 after setting a fastest time of 1:35.898 from 5 laps."

[Five laps] Second timed lap the best and track didn't improve later?

I read it before and I'm still wondering how the guy who wrote the press release got it wrong. It was during the first run and not the second when he did the lap. As a matter of fact, he aborted the second run because he was slower in the first two sectors.

PS. I have re-checked it and it was the first run.

Advertisement

#4580 hello86

hello86

• 3,660 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:42

During the second half of Q3, track temperature dropped sharply with the arrival of some clouds and fog and with it the performance of the tyres too (for all drivers). As a matter of fact, it played in Kimi's hands; he had been the first on track and got the best conditions with his first tyre-set. Had the temperature not dropped, he probably would not start 4th tomorrow.

Ahhh that´s what he meant by saying that the others were unlucky! Was wondering about that

Edited by hello86, 14 April 2012 - 10:43.

#4581 Trust

Trust

• 3,170 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:19

Was thinking about strategy a little... It all depends how tyre degradation will be, but they have a reasonable amount of hope for victory. Whatever they do, they should make a one stop less than other top guys. I'm sure Sauber is thinking the same to do with Perez. The grid is evenly matched, and Kimi can last with those tyres for a long times with competetive times. The chance is real.

#4582 SpaMaster

SpaMaster

• 5,856 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:28

I thought Lotus was absolutely spot on here today, particularly Slade and his team I should add. At first, I cringed seeing Kimi out right after the pit light went green. But then I realized the temperatures were about to drop.

#4583 sniper80

sniper80

• 519 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:31

Kimi for the win! Mercedes will be happy with 10th tomorrow afternoon and Koba will not deliver as perez did!

#4584 tarmac

tarmac

• 1,155 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:30

Insane gamble in Q1 to use only hards and in Q2 only one set of softs :wave:

Ice cold stuff

#4585 Yoshi

Yoshi

• 923 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:42

According to this information from Kimi, he drives with the new rear.
They changed it to the old one, but then again to the new one.

Frage: "Bezüglich der Updates an deinem Auto: Stimmt es, dass du noch mit der alten Heckpartie hier fährst?"
Räikkönen: "Nein, die funktionierte nicht. Wir verwenden die, die wir beim letzten Rennen eingesetzt haben. Wir hatten die alte noch einmal ausprobiert, aber sind dann doch wieder zurück zur neueren gewechselt."
Source: http://www.motorspor...n_12041434.html

Edited by Yoshi, 14 April 2012 - 12:43.

#4586 DrF

DrF

• 1,406 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:47

What is the weather report for the race? If it's hot and Kimi can get a better start than Koba, then he just has to wait for the Mercs to eat their tyres and stay ahead of the Maccas and Red Bulls.

Hope the LRGP pit crew have been practising... they've cost the team valuable points in the last couple of races!

#4587 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,133 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:39

Oh my, I was so happy until I read Kimi´s post quali speech... it was cold water over my head :lol:

It looks bad for the future, they still have a good car but they´re not going forward. They must take advantage in Bahrein, with 99% sure good weather.

#4588 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:42

What is the weather report for the race? If it's hot and Kimi can get a better start than Koba, then he just has to wait for the Mercs to eat their tyres and stay ahead of the Maccas and Red Bulls.

Hope the LRGP pit crew have been practising... they've cost the team valuable points in the last couple of races!

Rain overnight, no rain for the race itself, slightly cooler temps

#4589 SilentKiller

SilentKiller

• 646 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 14:59

Rain overnight, no rain for the race itself, slightly cooler temps

Heard Karun Chandok say on Star Sports say that the track temperature will be hotter, 10-15 degrees more, than today, and it is supposed to be dry during the race.

#4590 Cyanide

Cyanide

• 2,522 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 15:21

He needs a trouble-free start. That's all I'm hoping for right now, the rest he'll take care of in the race. A real shame the updates are not working properly, it would be frustrating to see Lotus fall behind with the development, because the car has huge potential.

#4591 sniper80

sniper80

• 519 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 15:37

I'm surprised by the pessimism. Both from Kimi & the fans. He's freakin' 4th on the grid in only his third race after his comeback, 5th on merit. He's far off from Rosberg's time, but so were Hamilton & Schumacher. He did a very good lap.
Mercedes will shred their tyres tomorrow, and should be happy when they are in the big points. Kobayashi will not repeat Perez' result, I don't see it happen. Mclaren & Red Bull are behind, I see a good race ahead for the Kimster!

Edited by sniper80, 14 April 2012 - 15:38.

#4592 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,857 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:32

I'm surprised by the pessimism. Both from Kimi & the fans. He's freakin' 4th on the grid in only his third race after his comeback, 5th on merit. He's far off from Rosberg's time, but so were Hamilton & Schumacher. He did a very good lap.
Mercedes will shred their tyres tomorrow, and should be happy when they are in the big points. Kobayashi will not repeat Perez' result, I don't see it happen. Mclaren & Red Bull are behind, I see a good race ahead for the Kimster!

Same here, also strange how everyone is already writing Lotus' development off after the first update. If anything, their qualy pace relative to Macca and RBR has been comparable if not better in China than in Malaysia. Race pace in clean air remains to be seen, but really no signs atm of not being able to keep up with development. If it stays dry, we might know tomorrow evening if we even have a shot at the title - its gonna be a long season with no one likely to dominate and many drivers taking points off each other, so who knows..can't wait for the race!

#4593 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:47

Ahhh that´s what he meant by saying that the others were unlucky! Was wondering about that

That wasn't down to bad luck. It was the Iceman setting his time early and then cooling off the track for the rest to struggle on!

Looking forward to a good race tomorrow and maybe a podium for KR. He has to get ahead of Koba quickly to make it work.

#4594 rentonB

rentonB

• 172 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 16:49

Reminds me

#4595 swerved

swerved

• 3,597 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:06

I see it less as pessimism, and more just being realistic, Raikkonen is being honest about his expectations, and seeing as he's the one driving it i'll take him at his word, I think there's some truth in the fact that others appear to have developed and gained a little, there's not really any clear cut signs that Lotus have done the same, so no reason for expecting a leap in performance relative to the others.

That doesn't mean that Lotus have begun to fall behind, but they certainly haven't made any huge step forward either, for that matter neither have any of the others, but if Raikkonen is disappointed, we can take it that there's a good reason for it, he said he couldn't get any more out of it, he still managed 5th and as i said earlier in this field thats a decent result, I also feel a podium could still be on the cards, but am not writing off the people just in front/just behind Raikkonen, its a very tight grid, hopefully Raikkonens experience and racecraft will make a difference, and i feel that any small difference could count for, and be worth something.

It should be a great race with the grid the way it is, hopefully it'll be a great result.

#4596 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:20

Nobody wants to win this race. :lol:

Nico and Schumy: Our tires will grain.
Lewis: I got a penalty
Button: Should have left the pits earlier
Kamui: I'm just looking for big points
Kimi: the new aero package didn't work. We are stuck while the others are improving.
AlonSOS: Nothing has changed. That's the worse track for us, demands traction out of slow corners and top speed... our weak points.
Vettel: I'm happy with the car, but not fast enought.

Edited by IceSkyrim, 14 April 2012 - 17:22.

#4597 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,140 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:24

Nobody wants to win this race. :lol:

Nico and Schumy: Our tires will grain.
Lewis: I got a penalty
Button: Should have left the pits earlier
Kamui: I'm just looking for big points
Kimi: the new aero package didn't work. We are stuck while the others are improving.
AlonSOS: Nothing has changed. That's the worse track for us, demands traction out of slow corners and top speed... our weak points.
Vettel: I'm happy with the car, but not fast enought.

Webber first and Perez second then, followed by Grosjean =)

#4598 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,664 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:29

Kimi for the win! Mercedes will be happy with 10th tomorrow afternoon and Koba will not deliver as perez did!

Kimi for the podium tomorrow I think.

#4599 MP422

MP422

• 1,746 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:31

Excellent job by Kimi today !! Proper comeback.

Advertisement

#4600 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 17:32

Kimi for the podium tomorrow I think.

Podium or win. Either way we haven't seen enough dry races to see all the cars performing. It's still early days and we need no rain for these rules, this competiiton to see what's going on with who's performing iin the races.