934 replies to this topic

#851 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:52

so, who will drive for them next year?

Gutierrez? Bianchi? Alguersuari?

All of the above?

Also, what would the car look like if you remove all the Mexican sponsors?

Must not be happy days at Sauber...

Advertisement

#852 Feanaro

Feanaro

• 309 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:50

All of the above?

Like the c29, i know im weird but i liked that livery. :blush:

#853 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:09

All of the above?

They seem desperate for sponsors now, don't they? Unless Slim continues to pour money into the team, it looks pretty bleak and i expect them to go for a paydriver. Problem is, there don't seem to be many financial heavyweights available right now.

I don't think Alguersuari would bring much money. Schumacher would be a great asset to attract sponsors, but i find it hard to believe he wants to spend a season at Sauber and lots of the money would go into his salary anyway. Bianchi could bring Aethra, OMR and Richard Mille from Force India and would also fit into Sauber's Ferrari connection, so that's a possibility, but it's likely not comparable to what Slim payed. So maybe they'll need a second paydriver alongside, as Kobayashi doesn't really bring money or sponsors to the team. Maybe one of the GP2 frontrunners? Sutil with Medion/Capri-Sun money if he still has those connections? Senna? De La Rosa? Sad times. :/

Edited by dau, 29 September 2012 - 10:12.

#854 Collective

Collective

• 1,093 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:47

Esteban GutiƩrrez @ Sauber is a done deal. Expect announcement by Tuesday or so. Slim Domit (that's Slim Jr) told ESPNDeportes they look forward to stay with Sauber with Esteban as a driver.

#855 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,667 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 13:48

If Sauber wish to keep Telmex sponsorship, I think this is their only option so I am quite ready to believe that.

#856 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,887 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 15:25

If Sauber wish to keep Telmex sponsorship, I think this is their only option so I am quite ready to believe that.

It would seem the logical option if they want to keep Telmex. If they do that though, they'd definitely need someone with experience in the other seat. Suspect it's between Alguersuari or Kobayashi myself.

#857 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 170 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 17:35

It would seem the logical option if they want to keep Telmex. If they do that though, they'd definitely need someone with experience in the other seat. Suspect it's between Alguersuari or Kobayashi myself.

I find it somewhat appropriate that it's Alguersuari and Kobayashi fighting for the seat. Because they spent most of the time bouncing off each other's bodywork when they were on track.

#858 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:23

I find it somewhat appropriate that it's Alguersuari and Kobayashi fighting for the seat. Because they spent most of the time bouncing off each other's bodywork when they were on track.

You mean Jaime turning into him on purpose at Suzuka, Spain, and Monaco.

#859 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,667 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 15:12

I agree. I cannot see space for Schumacher at all; regardless, Peter Sauber has an ongoing track record of hiring youth, with the exception of 2010 as the team had to re-find it's feet. He will not turn down a future talent over what will be a 44 year old.

Advertisement

#860 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,887 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 16:06

Yeah, I was kinda amazed when the Sauber survived all that. Then again, it was pretty astonishing it got to the end at Spa this year, even with half the side pod missing :D

#861 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,259 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:31

I agree. I cannot see space for Schumacher at all; regardless, Peter Sauber has an ongoing track record of hiring youth, with the exception of 2010 as the team had to re-find it's feet. He will not turn down a future talent over what will be a 44 year old.

I would think Peter knows that Michael Schumacher would bring more money due to his marketability alone...

#862 f1roll

f1roll

• 12 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:53

I really wanna see Kamui do well in front of his home crowds this weekend and make a good impression in order to stay in Sauber next year. I don't want to see him go, I believe he has talent and he's not that far off Checo in terms of speed and consistency and he deserve to be in formula one seat somewhere at least:( With right people around him he can still shine like he did in 2009, 2010. This year he was too unlucky to miss his oportunity to grab some big points when needed. So frustrating it must be for him, and for fans out there :|

Edited by f1roll, 03 October 2012 - 07:56.

#863 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,631 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:58

I would think Peter knows that Michael Schumacher would bring more money due to his marketability alone...

I doubt MS has much marketability left.

"Hi, I'm Michael Schumacher. Seven time winner of the world's best racing car driver championship.

Do you understand the pain of getting kicked out of your job because your boss wanted a younger man in your place? Do you feel that the value of your experience is being ignored in favour of short term gains like results and lower repair bills?

That's why I called "Employment Lawyers 4 U". They do everything they can to make sure that your age-discrimination claim is successful, and they won't take a penny of your compensation.

Don't let them wave the chequered flag at YOUR career - call Employment Lawyers 4 U!"

#864 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:26

You mean Jaime turning into him on purpose at Suzuka, Spain, and Monaco.

?

And in Monaco Koba was really slow in La Rascasse...

I wouldn t mind if they ll drive both for Sauber next year... I didn t share the same thoughts about Kobayashi as some other people here, but he is a decent driver, who doesn t need to be sacked...

Edited by marcoferrari, 03 October 2012 - 11:27.

#865 Goron3

Goron3

• 585 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:35

I doubt MS has much marketability left.

"Hi, I'm Michael Schumacher. Seven time winner of the world's best racing car driver championship.

Do you understand the pain of getting kicked out of your job because your boss wanted a younger man in your place? Do you feel that the value of your experience is being ignored in favour of short term gains like results and lower repair bills?

That's why I called "Employment Lawyers 4 U". They do everything they can to make sure that your age-discrimination claim is successful, and they won't take a penny of your compensation.

Don't let them wave the chequered flag at YOUR career - call Employment Lawyers 4 U!"

Interestingly, he's undoubtedly one of (if not the) most marketable names in F1. His reach and popularity outside of Europe is quite honestly sensational, much larger than the like of Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton (though XIX will want to change that).

In terms of Koba, i feel for him tbh. He's been unfortunate when he's qualified well and he's become a victim of beating his teammate into Q3 only to start the race on the faster tyre and having to finish it on a slower one, compared to Perez who a couple of times has been able to pull off one less stop than everyone else and run the softer tyre at the end. He's been strong at suzuka in the past so here's hoping for a good result; 2010 was mighty!

Edited by Goron3, 03 October 2012 - 11:38.

#866 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:34

Bravo Sauber!!

#867 Collective

Collective

• 1,093 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:51

Awesome car for Suzuka!!!! Inspired stuff from Kamui, who finally gets a pass from bad luck and idiotic strategies. Wonderful first podium and closes gap to Checo to 16 points.

Checo had a proble with untamed aggression and attempted an overly optimistic move that put him in the gravel. Too bad as this was ripe for a bigger harvest, had car for at least P5. Much to learn still.

I hope they will keep Kamui. He certainly put up a great case for a 2013 seat.

#868 kNt

kNt

• 1,694 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:20

Checo seemed a bit to motivated (not only in the one scene).

Good strategy and good work by Kamui and the team. How do you guess will the korean GP suit the car?

#869 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,799 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:38

Very likable team. :up:

#870 Collective

Collective

• 1,093 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:41

Checo seemed a bit to motivated (not only in the one scene).

Good strategy and good work by Kamui and the team. How do you guess will the korean GP suit the car?

I think it will be a bad circuit for Sauber. Most turns are slowish, and Sauber's breaking stability and traction are awful.

#871 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,059 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:51

what happened with pitstops today...perez lost to hamilton (problem in the pits) and was jumped by raikkonen who was trapped behind caterham?? kobayshi lost massively to massa??

#872 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:54

Koba was stuck behind STR after pit.

#873 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,994 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:00

what happened with pitstops today...perez lost to hamilton (problem in the pits) and was jumped by raikkonen who was trapped behind caterham?? kobayshi lost massively to massa??

They shouldve pitted Kamui 3 laps later. That way he wouldve avoided being stuck behind Vergne for so long, by which he lost 5 sec at least in total. That may be hindsight, but I actually thought at that time that it was too early to pit coz his time was good and wasnt cliffing. If not for that he wouldve had realistic chance to fight with Massa for 2nd.

#874 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,660 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:03

They shouldve pitted Kamui 3 laps later. That way he wouldve avoided being stuck behind Vergne for so long, by which he lost 5 sec at least in total. That may be hindsight, but I actually thought at that time that it was too early to pit coz his time was good and wasnt cliffing. If not for that he wouldve had realistic chance to fight with Massa for 2nd.

Well, they 'covered' Button, and Massa had new tyres blah blah Perez situation you know. Dumb in hindsight, but it was reasonable at the time.

#875 muramasa

muramasa

• 2,994 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:35

Well, they 'covered' Button, and Massa had new tyres blah blah Perez situation you know. Dumb in hindsight, but it was reasonable at the time.

sure, but I dont really think it's too much hindsight, as that Button had been stuck behind Vergne too, so. Kamui had 2+sec gap to JB before 1st stop, so he could afford few more laps out while monitoring traffic and JB position. One thing for sure anyway is if only there wasnt Vergne, but that's racing :p

#876 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,430 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 13:37

what happened with pitstops today...perez lost was jumped by raikkonen who was trapped behind caterham??

Perez had a horrible in-lap when he was going longer than Kimi. He set a terrible S1 on one lap and a terrible S2 on another lap.

#877 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 170 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:06

Pretty disappointed that Perez DNF'd the way he did.

It was a perfect opportunity for Sauber to close the gap to Mercedes this weekend.

#878 Talisman

Talisman

• 772 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:13

Pretty disappointed that Perez DNF'd the way he did.

It was a perfect opportunity for Sauber to close the gap to Mercedes this weekend.

I agree. Yet more points thrown away.

Lewis' comments about the incident were funny and true.

#879 Misk

Misk

• 152 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:51

I agree. Yet more points thrown away.

Lewis' comments about the incident were funny and true.

What did Hamilton say?

Was a disappointing way for Perez to retire today for sure.

Advertisement

#880 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,887 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 20:39

Watching the reruns. Boy, the front jack man on KK's last stop was cutting it really fine :eek:

Must have been really keen for Jenson not to get the jump on them like Massa did.

#881 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 20:49

What did Hamilton say?

Was a disappointing way for Perez to retire today for sure.

He said that he knew Perez was going to try "something crazy" and that that's exactly what's happened.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/103208

I'd say it was just a small mistake that only led to a crash because Perez had his hands full to not collect Hamilton.

#882 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,059 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 20:55

perez was snookered a bit by hamilton puting his car in the middle of the road...but did well not to colect hamilton...not like last year when a certain driver had crazy moves against felipe massa...

#883 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,610 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:22

After the Japanese GP, I've become more interested in watching Sauber trying to catch Mercedes in the constructors championship. I have to say... they're definitely in with a shout!

#884 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:24

Nothing against Mercedes but I would love to see Sauber do them in the constructors

#885 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:34

He said that he knew Perez was going to try "something crazy" and that that's exactly what's happened.

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/103208

I'd say it was just a small mistake that only led to a crash because Perez had his hands full to not collect Hamilton.

Hamilton always says crazy things. He should be penalised for that.

#886 BoxToOvertake

BoxToOvertake

• 53 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 16:23

After the Japanese GP, I've become more interested in watching Sauber trying to catch Mercedes in the constructors championship. I have to say... they're definitely in with a shout!

Nothing against Mercedes but I would love to see Sauber do them in the constructors

would be a fascinating fight to follow besides the wdc of course , all other teams seems very settled in their wcc place

#887 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,679 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:47

A decent qualifying result considering the team's practice form. Hopefully good tyre use will allow for points tomorrow.

#888 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:52

Think yellows cost both cars a tenth or more, be interested to hear the comments on the Sauber site.

Still, maybe they can have a good strategy for BOTH drivers

#889 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:07

Sergio Perez - 12th: "It is a shame, as we were so close to getting into Q3 but, of course, I had to back off because of the yellow flags in the last sector. Well, the positive side is that we have saved a set of fresh tyres for the race. In any case it will be an interesting one because I could not do long runs in free practice to the extent I wanted to."

Kamui Kobayashi - 13th: "I would have been easily five tenths faster but I had to back off when the yellow flags came out. I am quite disappointed, especially as we had improved the car for Q2. In Q1 initially I had problems with oversteer, but our set-up changes worked out nicely. However, here we have a track which allows overtaking and the race is always a different story."

#890 Collective

Collective

• 1,093 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 13:39

Well I certainly expected their form to be worse. Hopefull they can make up positions with a good race pace.

#891 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,500 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 14:33

And Kobayashi again showing that he has every bit of performance that his mclaren teammate has.

He is a great driver.

#892 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 170 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 17:54

Swings and roundabouts last week Sauber got the rub of the green with the yellow flag, whilst this week it went against them.

What I'm finding encouraging is how they're improving through a weekend where the track doesn't really suit the cars characteristics.

To think at the start of the year everybody was pessimistic about their chances after Key's departure.

#893 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 20:58

Aand again fresh set of tyres for Perez for tomorrow!

#894 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 170 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 21:28

Aand again fresh set of tyres for Perez for tomorrow!

Unless I'm missing something, so does Kamui.

#895 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:44

:down:

#896 DracoN

DracoN

• 901 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:47

Very bad strategy from Sauber. Bad bad day.

#897 Collective

Collective

• 1,093 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:47

What a ridiculous strategy, still almost scraped a point thanks to that scarf on the McLaren... came one lap too late :(

Gutted for Kamui, tough spot with 4 cars squeezing there and got caught by surprise.

The car was good in the second sector but painfully slow in the first and the straights, as expected. India should be OK. At least no points for Mercedes.

#898 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,059 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:51

again bad strategy and dismal pitstop...lost over 5 sec in the pits which put him behind cars he couldn't clear fast enough...team lost checo points today...

#899 KinoNoNo

KinoNoNo

• 170 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 13:22

again bad strategy and dismal pitstop...lost over 5 sec in the pits which put him behind cars he couldn't clear fast enough...team lost checo points today...

Didn't you get the memo, according to the pundits it's always the drivers who under-perform never the team's fault when things go wrong ;)

Anyway Sauber still think they can beat Merc, but I don't know they're rapidly running out of scoring opportunities.
They really need to score big with both cars soon, because a couple points here or there is not going to be enough.

Come on guys get your shit together, and you could still embarrass Mercedes.

Edited by KinoNoNo, 17 October 2012 - 13:24.

Advertisement

#900 mich

mich

• 107 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:00

A rubbish strategy and a rubbish pitstop for Kobayashi!
Vettel completed 30 laps of his 1st stint with his soft.
Why did he use slow hard for 37laps nevertheless Williams was very close; he lost few seconds for battle against them.
Totally he lost around 6sec or more!
And why can't they upgrade a jack?

Checo was too poor at overtaking!
How many ponts he lose by such easy mistakes!