Photo

Supercharged Monopin Honda, 1978

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 martyn chapman

martyn chapman

• 39 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 19:37

:clap: i own this little jewel of a racing car and i am trying to add to and continue the comprehensive file i have wih this car,the car was built in 1978 by kieth gowers ,blackpool? and is a one off,using the remains of the first terapin, ,the car is talked about at great length in allan stainforths building a racing car book ,with some photos of the car as well i do have a signed copy of this book in the file,i got the car of mr birch who owned it for a good many years and put a nice file together while in his care,it seems to have done quite a few events north of birmingham,and it was a top ten car ,on hills and sprints,late 70s into the eightys,any pictures will be very greatfully recieved,im going to have a play with the car myself next year,buisness permitting,and am looking forward to driving it , :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 20:01

Here's a photo in an earlier thread:

Posted Image

Posted Image

With apologies for the awful quality and the post in the way, here are the Monopin and the RBS3C, yaken at Creg-Ny-Ba on the Isle of Man. 1980, Longton & District MC.

and this may be of interest:

Reminds me of another Terrapin graduate, Keith Gowers. He ran a blown Honda motorcyle engine in one of Mr Staniforth's creations, then built the wonderful Monopin (well documented by Alan S in his "Race and Rally Car Source Book") around the same engine. I had the pleasure of knowing Keith quite well during the time - he was a technical guru with Cheswick & Wright who supplied OE exhaust systems - he was a "proper" engineer and a real enthusiast for hillclimbing. In some ways, the Monopin was the forerunner of today's dominant small motorcycle-powered hillclimb cars (if we skip forward from the Classic 500's and vee twin 1100's of the 50's, of course!).
I really must go digging in my photo box - would like to post some pix in the "Pictures from the hills" thread ... watch out for it! I went to Shelsley most meetings from about 1971 to the early 90's, and also Prescott, Loton, Gurston .... and assorted sprints.

Great stuff!

#3 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,098 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 20:08

Good to see you back on TNF, Martyn. Season's greetings to you an Ayesha.
Roger Lund

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,266 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 20:39

Echoing Roger's post, Martyn, it really is good to see you with all your enthusiasm here!

Keep us posted, please...