RC car Setup guide

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:16

http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/

would be interesting to hear what the experienced full size setup guys things of this.

Advertisement

#2 Requin

Requin

• 359 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 17:52

Bookmarked!

I would suggest you read Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken in order to get an idea of full-size car theory.

#3 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:56

Im not huge on reading. I prefer videos and models.

Posted Image
Any thoughts about above mentioned?

Posted Image

http://www.google.no.../...um=1&itbs=1

#4 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,367 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 23:34

So far as the tire graph goes it has at least one error, but does illustrate the basic principle well enough. You do get a tiny bit of lateral grip at Fz=0. A Pacejka tire model has the same error.

The degree of curvature of that line is very helpful for predicting limit handling plow/spin, in fact it is major component of the MMM analysis I was talking about in another thread. I was working on a car that had limit plow on one tire, and limit spin on another, in braking in turn and throttle off in turn. In the linear range the tires were very similar. It turned out that the good tire had a sharper roll off at high Fz, so it saturated and allowed the front end to break away. The bad tire was more linear and stopped the front from breaking away, so the rear did instead.

#5 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:37

Very good. at first tought you would think the one with milder cut of (if i understood this correctly) would be of most interest. considering it being more predicatable looking on a graph.

did you guys try to alter the setup with the other tires? say.. more rear camber.

#6 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 6,367 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:06

did you guys try to alter the setup with the other tires? say.. more rear camber.

Nice try... we recommended different tire pressures front and rear. By 2psi. Which is a bit scary if you think about it.