Photo

Nico Hulkenberg

• Please log in to reply
228 replies to this topic

#201 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,062 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:20

Today's race makes me wonder even more why McLaren choose Pérez over Hülkenberg.

perez fought for 3 podiums and delivered them...hulkenberg crashed...

Advertisement

#202 bub

bub

• 2,343 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:20

It's a shame he couldn't get his first win but I'm sure it will come. Been really impressive lately.

#203 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,920 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:22

Yeah, he only fought for those podiums because of his tyre advantage. I see a lot more intelligent racing with Hulkenberg

#204 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,340 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:24

he should be going to McLaren next season. Sauber feels a bit like a step backwards.

#205 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,062 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:30

Yeah, he only fought for those podiums because of his tyre advantage. I see a lot more intelligent racing with Hulkenberg

i don't...

#206 Deeq

Deeq

• 5,672 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:32

Man of the race and one of the best drivers in 2012! :up:

+1, QFT

#207 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,790 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:40

And Perez gets a McLaren seat? Sickening...

#208 KavB

KavB

• 1,098 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:40

Perez has had a much better car this year and Hulkenberg only ended up 3 points behind him.

#209 selespeed

selespeed

• 1,062 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 20:56

yeah,yeah...perez had the best car of the season and only finished 10th...

#210 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:00

For sure future Champion. Ferrari or RBR seat in 2014.

#211 Gyan

Gyan

• 842 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:10

I think I've found my new favourite driver in f1 today. Shame he won't be getting a chance at a top team until 2015 at least.

#212 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 21:25

I think I've found my new favourite driver in f1 today. Shame he won't be getting a chance at a top team until 2015 at least.

I still wonder for next year. He show good speed today with FI. To keep behind two McLarens behind was something.

#213 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,632 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:33

I simply cannot believe that Sergio Perez is gonna be driving for McLaren, what a stupid decision. Jenson has been hinting the same.

#214 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 424 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 22:53

Leading half a rece on merit and keeping Mclarens at bay in a Force India is no small feat, especially in the rain, where the driver matters more.

Shame that many are belittling him for an accident which is viewed by many as a racing incident, and happened in one of the toughest races, accroding to several top drivers.

For me Hülkenberg showed this year how one should impress as an aspiring talent. Well done!

#215 jk

jk

• 1,750 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 23:00

I agree. This is the most impressive performance from a midfield driver since Vettel was in the Torro Rosso. Hulkenberg was beating the McLarens in a straight fight, hunting them down and passing them in very tricky conditions. Brilliant performance.
This may have been the best chance for a race win in his career, but I hope I am wrong. I thought Vettel had blown the chance of a lifetime after Fuji 07 but it certainly did not turn out that way.

#216 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,485 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:02

Leading half a rece on merit and keeping Mclarens at bay in a Force India is no small feat, especially in the rain, where the driver matters more.

Shame that many are belittling him for an accident which is viewed by many as a racing incident, and happened in one of the toughest races, accroding to several top drivers.

For me Hülkenberg showed this year how one should impress as an aspiring talent. Well done!

:up:

I came away from the race incredibly impressed by him. I've already been saying he's good and that Ferrari should have picked him up, but today really showed he's got some proper race-winning ability. I cant fault him for that one little mistake in a tight situation. Very few drivers had trouble-free races.

#217 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,607 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:14

I simply cannot believe that Sergio Perez is gonna be driving for McLaren, what a stupid decision. Jenson has been hinting the same.

Well it's a bit late to change their minds now... they've introduced him on Tooned!

#218 mich

mich

• 108 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:15

This race was a good compass pointing to who has talent among young drivers, except Perez.
Grosjean, Williams duo and DiResta made mistakes and stopped in the rain.
On the other hands STR duo, Pic, Petrov, especially Kobayashi and Hulkenberg controlled their cars and achieve fantastic jobs.

Edited by mich, 26 November 2012 - 06:16.

#219 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:17

The crash with Hamilton was unfortunate, but still a normal racing accident. Over the whole season he was the young driver with the fewest errors and the drive in Brazil was amazing. His Force India was the only car able to challenge the McLarens and a FI is usually not the car to challenge a McLaren. That he went and attacked Hamilton showed that he has the ambition and looked way better than Perez backing up from Alonso.

Advertisement

#220 Paul McLucas

Paul McLucas

• 119 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:20

Perez will bring Telmex when Vodafone withdraw.

#221 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,485 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:24

This race was a good compass pointing to who has talent among young drivers, except Perez.

I wouldn't say that. The race was extremely difficult for everybody. Its always a bonus to come out of these situations with a good result, but even the top drivers showed their mortal-ness.

#222 beqa16v

beqa16v

• 202 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:37

Great season for Niko, was keeping an eye for him. Definitely the best young driver by far. Perez showed nothing spectacular, just focused on race setup compromising qualy and it worked a few times, that's it.

Niko came from a one year break, struggled a bit because of that in the beginning but came back and pretty much destroyed his highly regarded teammate. It's funny how in the beginning of the season british media was always pointing out how Di resta was a team leader when he was ahead. When Hulkenberg started mocking him they put water in their mouths and preferred not to say anything in relation to balance between the two FI drivers.

#223 Hyatt

Hyatt

• 1,112 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:33

looks like Mclaren doesn't rate or like german drivers ... was there ever a German driving for them?

#224 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,665 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:47

On the other hands STR duo, Pic, Petrov, especially Kobayashi and Hulkenberg controlled their cars and achieve fantastic jobs.

I'm not sure what race you where watching to make that statement :eek: - almost all the drivers you praise spun or ran off track at one point or another so they where no different from the ones you slate - the only difference was some where lucky and not hit anything/anyone and the others where not.

#225 ExFlagMan

ExFlagMan

• 1,665 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:49

looks like Mclaren doesn't rate or like german drivers ... was there ever a German driving for them?

Jochen Mass!

#226 f1fastestlap

f1fastestlap

• 1,918 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:52

Yeah, what a fantastic job to hit another car.... :rolleyes:

#227 swerved

swerved

• 3,622 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:03

Up until that moment he'd done pretty well, and for the 1st time since Perez was announced at McLaren i'm wondering if they went for the wrong one, we'll see.

#228 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,745 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:14

Discussion of the incident between Hulkenberg and Hamilton has been split here;

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=178200

Lewis Hamilton is off topic here. The thread is to discuss Hulkenberg only please.

#229 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,638 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:07

i think McLaren did try and poach MS at some point.. they also had Nick Heidfeld on contract but chose to go with Kimi. I think Hulkenberg was brilliant yesterday but the two errors he made also need to be considered.

Also Pastor Maldonado seemed pretty terrific when he won hi GP.. so i would take a one off with a pinch of salt. All in all I would rate NH higher than Perez for sure. i hope McLaren know what they are doing.