Photo

Merry XmaS

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lazzHAR

lazzHAR

• 29 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:45

:clap: Hi one and all , just like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very MERRY XMAS and a HAPPY NEW YEAR...... :up:

Laz

Advertisement

#2 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:57

And merry Xmas from me also. Lee

#3 onelung

onelung

• 546 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:31

And a seasonal "ho ho ho" to all of you TNF'rs from down here, too ... Posted Image
Geoff.

#4 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,351 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:29

We already have a thread for this xmas..Ho Ho Ho.

#5 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:58

This one?

#6 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:03

Waste not want not. We could always re-name the 'spare' one as Blood Pressure...

#7 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:46

Waste not want not. We could always re-name the 'spare' one as Blood Pressure...

Wiithout wishing to give offence, as a committed Christian, may I respectfully request that we use the correct phrase;

Happy CHRISTMAS

Bob.

Edited by Bauble, 24 December 2011 - 11:47.

#8 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:27

There's nothing unchristian about 'Xmas'. The use of 'X' as a symbol for Christ has been used for many centuries.

From Robert Hendrickson's The Facts on File: Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins :

Xmas is neither an abbreviation nor a "vulgar commercial invention" of recent vintage. X has been used to symbolize the syllable "Christ" in English since at least 1100, when it was recorded in Xianity, for "Christianity". The Old English word for Christian recorded in the 12th-century Anglo-Saxon Chronicle begins with an X, and the word Xmas itself was used as early as 1551. The Greek word that gives us the English word Christ begins with the letter chi, or X, leading some writers to believe that the X in Xmas symbolized the cross.

and also see:

http://www.crivoice....xmasorigin.html

#9 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 14:32

There's nothing unchristian about 'Xmas'. The use of 'X' as a symbol for Christ has been used for many centuries.

From Robert Hendrickson's The Facts on File: Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins :

and also see:

http://www.crivoice....xmasorigin.html

How many people know that? Most use the X to avoid writing the full word, but that is their right if they chose to do so. That said I do not wish to drag religion into this festive season. :lol:

#10 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 18:27

How many people know that? Most use the X to avoid writing the full word, but that is their right if they chose to do so. That said I do not wish to drag religion into this festive season. :lol:

I understood that the word "Xmas" was coined by a group of committed Christians as a word to differentiate the commercial non-Christian festival from the Christian festival.
Put simply:
Xmas = Santa Claus, turkey, presents, mince pies, The Snowman, The Wizard of Oz, Boxing Day Brands Hatch
Christmas = Christ's birthday, cribs, Midnight Mass, carols, nativity plays

#11 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 18:38

Xmas = Santa Claus, turkey, presents, mince pies, The Snowman, The Wizard of Oz, Boxing Day Brands Hatch

You left out The Great Escape.

#12 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 19:04

I understood that the word "Xmas" was coined by a group of committed Christians as a word to differentiate the commercial non-Christian festival from the Christian festival.

That must have been quite a while ago, Duncan. :p

It seems Christmas has been abbreviated for at least the past 1,000 years. Before Xmas, there was XPmas, according to Inge Milfull, assistant editor of etymology at Oxford English Dictionaries (OED).
She found references in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021 and says the P was probably dropped later.

from http://news.bbc.co.u...ine/4097755.stm

#13 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 19:37

Perhaps "re-introduced" rather than "coined" - if it ever went away.

#14 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 9,282 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 21:19

Merry Christmas all from Sunny Manchester :up:

#15 E1pix

E1pix

• 23,444 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 21:26

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to All, from also-sunny Denver! :wave:

#16 URY914

URY914

• 236 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 23:12

To all my TNF friends across the pond and around the World, Merry Christmas! and a Happy Xyear!

#17 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:48

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year for all TNFer!It was a very interesting this small story:what is Xmas and what is Christmas-I never hear.I for me than not this is very interesting for an one with an English mother tongue.There is a saying at us: a good priest studies until dead one.

#18 mscheeres

mscheeres

• 72 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:51

Merry Christmas and a happy new year :wave: Hope 2012 brings good health to all and hopefully a good racing season.

#19 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:32

Put simply:

Thats why Xmas is more fun, especially when you receive books on Achille Varzi, Tazio Nuvolari and Bianchi Bicycle's!.

I hope that you all have a good one. :cool:

Edited by Eric Dunsdon, 25 December 2011 - 10:45.

Advertisement

#20 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:55

Put simply:

Well I enjoy both versions, which leaves me with a soul at rest and a stomach in turmoil! :o

#21 Bauble

Bauble

• 1,040 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:56

Thats why Xmas is more fun, especially when you receive books on Achille Varzi, Tazio Nuvolari and Bianchi Bicycle's!.

I hope that you all have a good one. :cool:

Typical Eric, he always has HIS 'presents' well organised

#22 RDV

RDV

• 6,765 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 18:50

I wanted to send some sort of holiday greeting to my friends and colleagues, but it is difficult in today's world to know exactly what to say without offending someone.
So I met with my lawyer yesterday, and on advice I wish to say the following:

"Please accept with no obligation , implied or implicit, my best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non addictive, gender neutral celebration of the solstice holiday practiced with the most enjoyable traditions of religious persuasion or secular practices of your choice with respect for the religious / secular persuasions and / or traditions of others, or their choice not to practice religious or secular traditions at all.

I also wish you a physically successful, personally fulfilling and medically uncomplicated recognition of the onset of the generally accepted calendar year 2012 , but not without due respect for the calendar of choice of other cultures whose contributions to society have helped make our country great (not to imply that this country is necessarily greater than any other country) and without regard to the race, creed, colour, age, physical ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee."

[*]By accepting this greeting, you are accepting these terms :
"This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It is freely transferable with no alteration to the original greeting. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/him or others and is void where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole discretion of the wisher. The wish is warranted to perform as expected within the usual application of good tidings for a period of one year or until the issuance of a new wish at the sole discretion of the wisher."

Best Regards (without prejudice)

Name withheld (Privacy Act)