Photo

When the stars went single!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 roger9650

roger9650

• 27 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 11:07

Just found this site - fantastic and by far the best! Been wading through 191 very enjoyable pages. My first race was the 1962 Sidecar and 250 TTs when we watched from Windy Corner before making our way down to the Creg. It was the one and only time I saw Bob Mac and sadly Tom Phillis, but I do remember it was also a beautiful hot day. Can still see the wooden trolley on wheels which would have been used to transport injured riders down the valley. Amazing. No PA, no radio, just a second hand on the watch.

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly when this occurred, it may be 1969 onwards but at one of the international meetings at Oulton Park around1968ish(?), I remember some of the works riders competing as a one off on british singles in one of the 500 races. Memory isn't what it was but they may have been Hailwood, Read and Ivy. Does anyone remember this? I'm pretty sure John Cooper was up there with them and maybe Alan Shepherd??

Advertisement

#2 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:56

Just found this site - fantastic and by far the best! Been wading through 191 very enjoyable pages. My first race was the 1962 Sidecar and 250 TTs when we watched from Windy Corner before making our way down to the Creg. It was the one and only time I saw Bob Mac and sadly Tom Phillis, but I do remember it was also a beautiful hot day. Can still see the wooden trolley on wheels which would have been used to transport injured riders down the valley. Amazing. No PA, no radio, just a second hand on the watch.

Anyway, I'm not sure exactly when this occurred, it may be 1969 onwards but at one of the international meetings at Oulton Park around1968ish(?), I remember some of the works riders competing as a one off on british singles in one of the 500 races. Memory isn't what it was but they may have been Hailwood, Read and Ivy. Does anyone remember this? I'm pretty sure John Cooper was up there with them and maybe Alan Shepherd??

Hi Roger, you surely refer to the Avon Gold Cup meeting at Oulton on 2nd September '68. Hailwood on a Seeley won ahead of John Cooper, Percy Tait, Peter Williams and Rob Fitton. Read on a ex Kirby Matchless ran out of fuel when he was dicing for 2nd place with Cooper

Edited by Rennmax, 27 December 2011 - 12:57.

#3 roger9650

roger9650

• 27 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 16:33

Hi Rennmax
Thanks for that, and it all ties in. For much of the late sixties I was out of the country but I was ashore in '68 and I made the Ulster, Scarborough (where thankfully I'd just wandered down from the bridge to the start/finish before John Hartle's accident), and the Oulton meeting. My recollection of the turn out on singles was to show that it wasn't just the bike that made the difference - and it certainly wasn't !!! I tended to watch at Knickerbrook which of course was a superb corner in those days and I still remember a sharp intake of breath as Alan Shepherd nicked inside Phil Read just there. I'm pleased to see that Phil is treated with due respect on this forum rather than the pariah who apparently ruined the TT. Regards

#4 Rennmax

Rennmax

• 2,048 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 18:24

Here's a shot from this race

Posted Image

#5 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 07:57

Here's a shot from this race

Posted Image

Great pic Rennmax :up: It would be interesting to see a field of today's stars on 1960's singles.

#6 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:44

Best get along to the Goodwood Revival then, Barry. That's as close as you'll get.

#7 roger9650

roger9650

• 27 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 18:26

What a great picture, thanks

#8 barrykm

barrykm

• 808 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:20

Best get along to the Goodwood Revival then, Barry. That's as close as you'll get.

Yes, thanks, that's on my Bucket List!

Edited by barrykm, 29 December 2011 - 12:21.