Photo

Racing rituals and superstitions

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 kingofspa

kingofspa

• 31 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:06

many drivers have rituals before they start a race or a session,like rossi.he gets on and off the bike from the right side always,adjusts his leathers while going out of pitlane.Hamilton prays before a race.
Kimi has a sh!t....I want to know about some other interesting rituals associated with some drivers?

Advertisement

#2 Peat

Peat

• 8,837 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:10

John McGuiness rides the TT in the same pair of socks every year, he also puts a penny inside his leathers.

Some drivers will only enter/exit a car from a certain side (applies more to single seaters)

must be some more

#3 Currahee

Currahee

• 596 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:38

Didn't DC always wear the same pair of pants?

Bet they were a mess. :lol:

#4 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:21

:lol: :up:

#5 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,050 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:27

I know Alonso refuses to stay in any Hotel rooms with the number 13 in it, or refuses to let any of his team stay in a room with the number 13 too.

When the BBC did their F1 60th anniversary special last year (got to get used to saying that!) they asked loads of drivers about superstitions.

I think Prost tried to wear the same overalls for the next race if he won in them.

#6 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 4,100 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 17:35

I think it was Wurz that always had one red and one blue shue on.

#7 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 18:05

I know Alonso refuses to stay in any Hotel rooms with the number 13 in it, or refuses to let any of his team stay in a room with the number 13 too.

Yeah he's got a stupid number's game. But 13 is actually one of his lucky numbers. The famous quote: (From an interview with La Stampa)

“I’m playing with numbers. Well, like the number of the helmet as the hotel’s room number, divided by the cars on the starting grid. It’s important that the result is 14. Because with the number 14 I won my first kart World Championship,”

Edited by Smile17, 01 January 2012 - 18:31.

#8 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,452 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 18:08

Doesn't Massa make sex before every race?

Edited by Kvothe, 01 January 2012 - 18:08.

#9 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,153 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 18:29

He once claimed he did that on saturdays. It was his perfect preparation for the race. I don't think it's a superstition though.

#10 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,452 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 18:35

He once claimed he did that on saturdays. It was his perfect preparation for the race. I don't think it's a superstition though.

Its a good job the title also says racing rituals then. :)

#11 Clatter

Clatter

• 44,648 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 18:40

And yet you rarely see his missus at the races. Hmmmm.

#12 Antonov

Antonov

• 603 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 18:52

pee right before the 5 minutes-to-go FIA intro.

#13 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 7,452 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 18:57

And yet you rarely see his missus at the races. Hmmmm.

hmmm indeed, but it might explain this picture.

Posted Image

Edited by Kvothe, 01 January 2012 - 18:58.

#14 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 19:27

Vettel has a lucky coin carried betwen his shoelaces in the races.
What if it gets loose and stay stuck inside the pedal mechanisms :eek:

Seb also keeps a lucky pig in his racing suit pocket since his karting days.

Edited by IceSkyrim, 02 January 2012 - 06:32.

#15 d246

d246

• 1,045 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 19:44

Yes, when he broke his leg in Spa, he had to get his race suit cut off in front of his folks and revealed his wrecked pants. I believe they were retired after that!

#16 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 19:46

I always tucked away my left testicle before my right...

#17 ashnathan

ashnathan

• 5,018 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 00:11

When I was karting I would always have my right shoe on and tied before my left shoe was even on my foot.

#18 Richardc

Richardc

• 235 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 00:55

Didn't Schumacher always shake hands with Brawn before a race? I heard that once Ross forgot and it really pissed Michael off.

#19 Snic

Snic

• 571 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:09

I don't cosider myself superstitious but now that I think about it in all the years I've been karting I have ALWAYS have to eat a tuna mayo sandwich before I get out on track. My first ever kart victory came with a tuna mayo sandwich before hand and it's just carried on. The one time I forgot to pack one I felt like I had given myself a self imposed penalty and it kept playing on my mind all the way up to the start... I ended up having a great race finished 3/24 in a pretty competitive field. Funny how you don't think about tuna mayo sandwiches when the lights go out :)

Advertisement

#20 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:29

As soon as I see the FIA swooshy intro, I go and make a cup of tea in my F1 mug, and fire up live timing and twitter on the laptop.

#21 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:31

I always tucked away my left testicle before my right...

Mine's the right first :p

With those million-point harnesses, I bet ALL the F1 drivers have this as part of their routine....

#22 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:23

Stefano Modena would only drive his car if it was on the right-hand side of the team's garage.

#23 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 14:26

Stefano Modena would only drive his car if it was on the right-hand side of the team's garage.

Just turn him round the other way...

#24 BRG

BRG

• 25,897 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 16:44

Wasn't he a mass of superstitions? One red and one green race boot, would only get into the car from one side, and so on?

Was it Haas who always kissed his team car(s) before a race?

#25 midgrid

midgrid
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,132 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 19:41

Wasn't he a mass of superstitions? One red and one green race boot, would only get into the car from one side, and so on?

Well, I did some more research, and found this:

Luck? What of all the stories about Stefano's superstitions? How much of that is true?

"You make your own luck," he smiled. "You are the person who decides. If you want to crash you crash, not because you wear a different balaclava or whatever. You decide what to do with the car.

"I'm not very superstitious. In F3000 I wore my glove inside-out. Everyone thought it was a superstition, but what happened was that my glove wasn't too fantastic, the seam stuck out and was cutting into my hand so, I thought, I have to do something and I turned the glove inside out. It was fantastic."

And what about having his car on the right-hand side of the pit?

"At some circuits, like Imola for example, I asked Martin to move the car because I had been successful when my car had been on the right side before. It's not superstition, I like it there it has good associations.

"There is another story too: I always do up my own belts. People say that is superstitious. I had a bad experience in qualifying at Pau, I went off in the last minutes of qualifying and I nosed into the tyres. The marshals told me to jump out, so I got out. Then I realised the car was okay and I wanted to jump in again. I couldn't do up the belts and they didn't want to stay there with cars coming by. From that point I thought I must know how to do the belts because in a case like this, nobody will let you go without belts because it's dangerous. You have to do something."

Source