Photo

Marussia F1 - 2012

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#451 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 678 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:37

I'd be suprised if Pic doesn't leave the team. He has been very good this year, especially in races where he has shown strong and consistent pace. I don't think that Glock will be replaced, but if Pic leaves then they will need a pay driver for the second seat. Chilton could be an obvious option as think his dad has something to do with the Marussia team nowadays. Motor Sport Total suggests that Chilton could be bringing up to €50m to the team, which i think is way too much.

The last couple of races have been quite good. The Spa upgrade worked well and they were suprisingly competitive on low downforce track like Monza, unlike in Canada where they were absolutely nowhere. It's looking good and they will have more new parts in Singapore aswell. Caterham will also have a heavily upgraded car there, but if those new pieces don't work properly, then we might have an interesting battle for the 10th place in the WCC. Marussia have definitely closed the gap during summer.

Advertisement

#452 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:46

Been pretty impressed by the team's progress lately.

Based on histroy, I think its very probable that the Caterham upgrades may not work to expectations. We could have a battle between the 2 teams. I remember Glock performed exceedingly well in Singapore
during his Toyota days and in his 1st season with Marussia.

Things will be interesting next weekend.

#453 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,677 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 00:45

BBC feature on Marussia's IT facilities.

#454 CatInTheBag

CatInTheBag

• 322 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 14:45

As expected, Glock performed great in FP2 and with a progress the team can be really proud of.

Could be interesting to see if you can wrest 10th from Caterham this Sunday.

Good luck.

#455 gd2

gd2

• 135 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 15:56

Chilton is almost safe at Marussia for next season.

Money talks!

#456 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,601 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 16:19

Mega performance but it was coming. At Monza Marussia was lapping within 4 tenths of Caterham. I've said it before, Cosworth's engine is nowhere near as bad as Williams made it look last year.

#457 Little Leaf

Little Leaf

• 1,072 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:27

It seems Marussia have made a bit of progress recently compared to Caterham. Good to see!

#458 sock22

sock22

• 403 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:10

12th place for Glock puts Marussia 10th in the WCC, ahead of Caterham. Unexpected, but congratulations to the team

#459 Yhamm

Yhamm

• 639 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:16

What happened to Pic in the last lap? he lost nearly 30sec... Not that it changes anything with his 20s penalty but still...
Nice race for Marussia.
Pic is confirmed at Caterham next year (from french TV at least), wonder if it's a good news for him now ^^

Advertisement

#460 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 554 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:22

COME ON GLOCKY BOY!!!!!!!!!! 10th, big money, much needed and deserved from the unfortunate 2010 season

#461 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,677 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:30

That was a tense final few laps! When Kovalainen pitted after the final safety car, I suspected that Glock might be able to get the necessary 12th place with a few incidents ahead of him, and it all played out exactly like that.

#462 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 678 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:38

That was a tense final few laps! When Kovalainen pitted after the final safety car, I suspected that Glock might be able to get the necessary 12th place with a few incidents ahead of him, and it all played out exactly like that.

Yeah. I was looking at live timing and thinking, ok it's 13th place...then suddenly there's senna stopping. Lucky, but it doesn't matter. Great job!!!

#463 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 554 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:40

Yeah. I was looking at live timing and thinking, ok it's 13th place...then suddenly there's senna stopping. Lucky, but it doesn't matter. Great job!!!

Happy times guys! Brilliant!

#464 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 8,101 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:49

I think that Webber should be penalized for overtaking Kobayashi with all wheels on the wrong side of the white line, not sure how far back that will drop him, will it make Glock 11th?

:cool:

#465 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 554 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:52

I think that Webber should be penalized for overtaking Kobayashi with all wheels on the wrong side of the white line, not sure how far back that will drop him, will it make Glock 11th?

:cool:

Wouldn't that be sweet? Too much wishful thinking though. MAN I have waited for this a long time, It's not even as good as the Caterham but I suspected the marussia better in the 2010 season, so fairs fair, lets hope the rest of the races are uneventful!!!!

#466 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,601 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 14:53

I've only got 3 words to say to Marussia: "Well done!" And "Cosworth!!!!!".

#467 Vickyy

Vickyy

• 188 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:01

Superb achievement, unsung performers of the day :up:

#468 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,072 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 15:39

Aye well done Marussia on gaining the 10th spot in the constructors :up

Good job Glock on getting that 12th place, I thought that he had the faster car than the Caterham if not for KERS and today it showed through.

#469 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 554 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:14

on that http://en.mclarenf-1...h...7076&graf=3 website, it's looking like Marussia were about .3-.7 roughly behind Caterham. Luck of course came into the better finish, but I can't help but think next season it's going to be nip and tuck with Marussia's Kers borrowing from Williams.

I must add it's much more impressive what Marussia have worked with in terms of no Renault engine and no Red Bull back end package, kind of puts the 'bigger' budgeted team into perspective. Next season is one I can't wait for.

Also the teams have all 'agreed' to sort out the wonky noses, is this to be an advantage for Marussia & Mclaren?

#470 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,884 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 22:17

Congratulations to Timo and the team :up: :up:

Must be a bit of a come down for Glock when 12th is a major achievement after being used to fighting for titles...

#471 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 22:44

Wow I didn't expect that :up: Glock is a tidy and talented driver who could probably outscore Maldonado + Senna this season in a Williams.

It's going to be interesting to see whether Kovalainen or Petrov can match the P12 in a race of attrition later on, certainly not impossible, but a very bad day for Caterham I guess.

#472 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 292 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 23:30

Congratulations to Timo and the team :up: :up:

Must be a bit of a come down for Glock when 12th is a major achievement after being used to fighting for titles...

I don't really remember when Glock did that, but great result nonetheless!

#473 Baddoer

Baddoer

• 1,495 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:58

One wonders how good that chassis could be coupled with KERS and better engine.

#474 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,601 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:56

One wonders how good that chassis could be coupled with KERS and better engine.

Marussia are unlikely to make a better chassis with a more expensive engine. Their advantage is the cosworth is affordable and effective, thus leaving more funds to optimise the chassis and run KERS.

#475 Tardis40

Tardis40

• 730 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:18

Glock is a decent driver plus you don't hear him constantly complaining about things.

#476 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,884 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:00

I don't really remember when Glock did that, but great result nonetheless!

GP2 champion 2007.
Third in Formula 3 Germany 2002.
German Formula BMW champion 2001.
Formula BMW Junior champion 2000

Didn't say F1 did I?  ;)

#477 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:22

maybe Pat Symonds has something to do with this - nice improvement. he's more involved now I think?

#478 g1n

g1n

• 874 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:25

maybe Pat Symonds has something to do with this - nice improvement. he's more involved now I think?

the cheat!

#479 PorcupineTroy

PorcupineTroy

• 292 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:50

GP2 champion 2007.
Third in Formula 3 Germany 2002.
German Formula BMW champion 2001.
Formula BMW Junior champion 2000

Didn't say F1 did I? ;)

Right after I posted I remember him in GP2. :lol:

Advertisement

#480 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 13:58

I think Pat Symonds seems like a good guy and he has a lot of knowledge about F1. Would be very surprised if Singapore 2008 was his idea but even if part of it was he has taken his time off and should be given another chance.

Edited by FenderJaguar, 24 September 2012 - 14:00.

#481 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 14:18

I really don't want to rain on your parade and it was a great result for the team, but it didn't really have much to do with their car performance. Glock was 30s behind Kovalainen at the end of their second stint, he just profited massively from the SC and Caterham's idiotic decision to put Kovalainen on option tyres.

#482 Vickyy

Vickyy

• 188 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 14:25

I really don't want to rain on your parade and it was a great result for the team, but it didn't really have much to do with their car performance. Glock was 30s behind Kovalainen at the end of their second stint, he just profited massively from the SC and Caterham's idiotic decision to put Kovalainen on option tyres.

Agreed to some extent, but I read in Timo's post race interview that he had kiss moment with the walls and slightly damaged his rear very early on in the race.
He had to change his driving style and that's why this conquest seems more sweeter.
Also they were not that far from the pace from Caterham's in qualy and even beaten them in practice.

#483 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,654 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 14:39

He went into it like Webber did in FP3, only the tyre wasn't even punctured. He was really lucky to finish to race.

Edited by Disgrace, 24 September 2012 - 14:40.

#484 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,884 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 18:24

Right after I posted I remember him in GP2. :lol:

:lol:

To be fair, though, it was a long time ago....

#485 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:05

Agreed to some extent, but I read in Timo's post race interview that he had kiss moment with the walls and slightly damaged his rear very early on in the race.
He had to change his driving style and that's why this conquest seems more sweeter.
Also they were not that far from the pace from Caterham's in qualy and even beaten them in practice.

I remember seeing that and wondering how he could get away with it. Didn't seem to have a great impact on his times, but it was a factor, i agree. It was still a lot of luck involved in getting that P12 - but it's only fair in some way, they lost out against HRT in the last two years because of freak results.

#486 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 14:54

Charles Pic ahead of Timo. Don't want to harp on about it but bearing in mind the minimal pre-season testing this kid did he has been really impressive, its not easy to shine when your at the back but at times Pic has done, if Max gets his seat and Charles ends up without a drive next season it would be a big injustice IMO but thats F1 sometimes.

#487 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,601 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 15:42

Its highly unlikely Pic will be without a drive next year. There are rumours that he is inline for one of the seats at Caterham.

#488 DutchQuicksilver

DutchQuicksilver

• 1,792 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 15:48

Charles Pic ahead of Timo. Don't want to harp on about it but bearing in mind the minimal pre-season testing this kid did he has been really impressive, its not easy to shine when your at the back but at times Pic has done, if Max gets his seat and Charles ends up without a drive next season it would be a big injustice IMO but thats F1 sometimes.

How has Pic shined then? He's about the only driver who's never been in the broacasting images. Boring driver with nothing special if you ask me. And it's not that special to beat Timo now and then. Di Grassi did it, so did d'Ambrosio. Glock's just not motivated at that team.

#489 Anderis

Anderis

• 2,665 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 16:19

Just have checked the 2010 season and concluded di Grassi was nowhere near as consistent with matching/beating Glock in terms of race pace as d'Ambrosio and Pic. And with Pic being significantly better qualifier compared to d'Ambrosio, that makes him probably the best rookie that has raced for Virgin/Marussia so far. I think Glock is a bit overrated, but Pic still deserves some credit for his performance in his rookie season. I wouldn't mind seeing him go to the midfield team soon. :up:

#490 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 351 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 17:05

How has Pic shined then? He's about the only driver who's never been in the broacasting images. Boring driver with nothing special if you ask me. And it's not that special to beat Timo now and then. Di Grassi did it, so did d'Ambrosio. Glock's just not motivated at that team.

Just look for stats and then you will see how good Pic is ...... :o

#491 Massa

Massa

• 4,266 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 17:07

So he is never in the broadcasting image but you find him boring.. But how do you know if he is boring when you didn't see him race ? Kovalainen, everybody here rate him high but like HRT or Marussia driver he is never in the broadcasting images..
Anyway, for me Pic is the best rookie this year, he has been really impressive, and i really think he will be at Caterham next year.

#492 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 17:10

He hasn't shined, has has shone. ;)

He's beaten Glock more than Di Grassi and the same number of times as Jerome but had no pre-season testing in the new car, only a couple of days in the old one and we've still got 4 sessions to go. The kid has potential, i'm not saying he's anything near WDC but he's shown enough IMO to deserve another season, as is the in thing to say he's still very "raw".

Edited by olliek88, 13 October 2012 - 17:11.

#493 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,338 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 17:13

So he is never in the broadcasting image but you find him boring.. But how do you know if he is boring when you didn't see him race ? Kovalainen, everybody here rate him high but like HRT or Marussia driver he is never in the broadcasting images..
Anyway, for me Pic is the best rookie this year, he has been really impressive, and i really think he will be at Caterham next year.

Well, there isn't much competition. hehe But I agree, the other rookie, Vergne, has been trashed by Ricciardo.

#494 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 554 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 22:13

Glock supposedley using a raft of 2013 updates on the car for testing, FP1 only.

Also, why was the mention of marussia in money trouble removed from the forum, I can't seem to find it/reason why where the topic has been closed/moved to?

#495 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 22:25

Thousands of Marussia car owners complained in droves that we were making the company a bad name :p

#496 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 678 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 13:25

Pic!

#497 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,822 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 15:27

Chilton is almost safe at Marussia for next season.

Saw him for the first time today and wow, doesn't he look like a young Dan Wheldon? :)

#498 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,654 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 15:31

He looks like a young Tom Chilton to me...

#499 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,601 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 15:39

You guys appreciate that on that performance Marussia actually have a faster chassis than Caterham.

Advertisement

#500 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 351 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 15:47

No he won't. Mark my words Pic will be woeful. His times at the young drivers test were woeful. I predict De La rosa, Pic and Verne will all be shown up as not up to standard.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: