Photo

Marussia F1 - 2012

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#101 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:36

Its a strange one, I expected Marussia to be ahead of HRT to bring their new car to testing plus they started early in designing the car.

If HRT and Marussia are within 4 seconds of ultimate pace, they have done well with €30/40m budgets I think.

Couple of quotes from one of the last Marussia articles - http://www.autosport...t.php/id/97162:

"Whilst this is not ideal, and not the timescale we had intended to work to, we will at least get some important running with the new car ahead of Australia and hopefully gain more constructive track time than we might otherwise have achieved had we rushed the car out for the second test."

"As our Technical Consultant Pat Symonds has stated publicly, the MR01 will be almost entirely 'new', with very little carryover from 2011. The new car also has some interesting and complex mechanical concepts and it is taking time for us to get to grips with these.

The thing with the MVR-02, is that I had high hopes of them fighting with Torro Rosso, but the way it was, TR had closed a considerable gap to the front runners last season. This MR-01 car is going to be later than normal, from the articles I really hope like crazy it's only good things coming this season for them!

Edited by lambylamby, 05 February 2012 - 21:38.

Advertisement

#102 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:41

What do people think the livery will look like?

Another thing I was wondering was that HRT and Marussia both had fairly low noses last season, I don't claim to be an aerodynamicist but does this help with their direction for the next season? the nose on the VR-01 and MVR-02 in the last 2 seasons has been considerabley lower than other cars on the grid, so I wonder if it plays into their hands at all.

#103 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:42

What do people think the livery will look like?

Another thing I was wondering was that HRT and Marussia both had fairly low noses last season, I don't claim to be an aerodynamicist but does this help with their direction for the next season? the nose on the VR-01 and MVR-02 in the last 2 seasons has been considerabley lower than other cars on the grid, so I wonder if it plays into their hands at all.

Marussia had a bit of a step nose going so maybe that will be more of a step.

HRT I expect to go down the FI/Ferrari/Caterham route.

#104 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 691 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:52

Symonds said that they won't have the ugly nose. Couldn't get it working.

#105 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 21:55

so ala McLaren then?

#106 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 22:10

Did he say that at the autosport show?

Couldn't get it working, is that a bad thing i wonder? I also wonder if it will be like mclaren's nose, but then Mclaren have run that way a few years, I would imagine they must have a lot of confidence to run that setup. Better for bumps isn't it?

#107 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 691 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:50

He said it in a motorsport magazine podcast. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they show us in Barcelona.

#108 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 18:38

http://www.marussiaf...m.com/news/527/

MONSTER SPONSERSHIP!

Can't wait, kick ass team, COME ON MARUSSIA!

#109 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,180 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 19:11

MONSTER SPONSERSHIP!

Monster.com... not Monster Energy...

#110 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 19:24

Monster.com... not Monster Energy...

Or an actual monster, to scare the rest of the grid.

#111 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,180 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 19:24

Or an actual monster, to scare the rest of the grid.

Most of the cars look like monsters this year

#112 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,180 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 19:40

MONSTER SPONSERSHIP!

I was about to say, I thought they were sponsoring Merc! But anyway good for them :up: One sponsor seems to beat HRT at the moment!

Still a bit surprised though that they haven't turned up in Jerez. Would of thought that Marussia could of tested the old car at least, but perhaps they feel that they have very little to gain from it and would rather put the effort in finalising the MVR-3.

#113 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,972 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 19:44

:up: :clap:

#114 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 20:02

I was about to say, I thought they were sponsoring Merc! [...]

No, that is Monster, the energy drink. Marussia have Monster, the job search website.

#115 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,773 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 23:35

Marussia reaches an agreement to use some of McLaren's resources.

McLaren is the only team thus far not to have a step in the nose of its 2012 car.

Now Symonds says that the new Marussia will not have one either.

It's a conspiracy! :lol:

#116 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 20:40

Marussia reaches an agreement to use some of McLaren's resources.

McLaren is the only team thus far not to have a step in the nose of its 2012 car.

Now Symonds says that the new Marussia will not have one either.

It's a conspiracy! :lol:

that's an interesting way of looking at it, comedy wise and of course, in all seriousness ;-)

Im really looking forward to the new MR-01 I hope it's still black and red but a part of me wouldn't mind at least one car on the grid with new livery, everyone has remained the same this year pretty much!

#117 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 22:23

Have Marussia assed or passed all their crash tests?

#118 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 22:23

and does anybody know what colour their new car livery will be? if it's the same then it means potentially only HRT will have a different livery!

#119 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 22:31

and does anybody know what colour their new car livery will be? if it's the same then it means potentially only HRT will have a different livery!

Doesn't look like Marussia are changing their livery.

They have been very quiet re their crash tests, I hope that they have passed its good to see all teams present at one test at least.

Advertisement

#120 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,180 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 22:33

Really haven't heard anything about crash tests, but generally no news is good news. Marussia have largely stayed out the news so really not much we can say until they launch the new car.

#121 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 22:37

Really haven't heard anything about crash tests, but generally no news is good news. Marussia have largely stayed out the news so really not much we can say until they launch the new car.

I'm hoping good news too. They have been the quietest out of all 3 launches this season, like super quiet, no noise from anyone, I wonder why this is? Is it really everyone to the grindstone, or is it on purpose?

#122 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 22:43

I'm hoping good news too. They have been the quietest out of all 3 launches this season, like super quiet, no noise from anyone, I wonder why this is? Is it really everyone to the grindstone, or is it on purpose?

I think teams want to stay quiet about these kind of things (crash tests) but I think the media force teams i.e HRT to tell the world what is happening, so they don't look incompetent in a way.

#123 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,180 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 22:58

It's really quite strange when you think of it, Virgin have been the most low key team ever since they began. Perhaps they're just good at keeping the media away, and unlike HRT Marussia seems to be financially secure (well enough anyway) and has a clear technical plan so they don't get as much critical attention. A mystery really :confused:

When are they launching, I take in time for next weeks test?

#124 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 23:01

It's really quite strange when you think of it, Virgin have been the most low key team ever since they began. Perhaps they're just good at keeping the media away, and unlike HRT Marussia seems to be financially secure (well enough anyway) and has a clear technical plan so they don't get as much critical attention. A mystery really :confused:

I would say HRT are more financial secure now then they have ever been.

#125 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:46

Virgin have come dead last in the wcc since they started. Being beaten by hrt both years, I would imagine they don't wan't too much attention.

#126 Spa95

Spa95

• 861 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:55

AMuS reports that the new car will be without a nasty step in the nose: http://www.auto-moto...el-4435656.html

Glock already 'drove' the new car in the McLaren simulator and it proved to be a big step forward. But he doesn't want to be too optimistic.

Edited by Spa95, 24 February 2012 - 06:56.

#127 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,720 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:13

Virgin have come dead last in the wcc since they started. Being beaten by hrt both years, I would imagine they don't wan't too much attention.

I don't think Virgin will be last this season now they have taken a conventional approach to design. What will be interesting is their pace relative to Caterham.

#128 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:13

I would say HRT are more financial secure now then they have ever been.

:lol:

#129 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:16

Glock already 'drove' the new car in the McLaren simulator and it proved to be a big step forward. But he doesn't want to be too optimistic.

I'd be curious to know how something like that is possible without McLaren gaining access to a ton of stuff they shouldn't have access to...

Granted, on a practical level McLaren probably doesn't have much to learn from Marussia F1... but in theory, isn't this basically feeding the simulator with all the critical design data from a competitor?

..or maybe it can be compared to when 2 different teams are using the same windtunnel?

In any case, would be nice to know how such a relationship can work without the FIA ex-President losing his marbles and implore Todt to spank Ron Dennis..

#130 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 915 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:11

Failed crash test - so likely no pre season testing other than a shakedown/filming day.

#131 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:11

:rotfl: :rotfl:

What a joke of a team.

#132 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,209 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:17

What happens if they fail another crash test and can't make Australia? Are they excluded from the championship as they are unable to participate in every race weekend? :confused: I can't think of a previous precedence where that has happened, at least in recent memory - in the cases of Super Aguri, Arrows and even Lola back in 1997, they all went into administration. Arrows I think were excluded and then went into administration, but I may be wrong.

#133 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,369 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:19

I didn't think those teams had crash-test problems? Remember Super Aguri dusted off a 2002 arrows and ran it at 2006 spec for a few races.

#134 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:19

FIA "So John, we've got your crash test result.........."

John Booth "Great, i'll just look at them to confirm the good ne.............

Posted Image

Edited by olliek88, 27 February 2012 - 21:20.

#135 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:23

I feel sick. I was hoping for better, but this seems like they have switched places with HRT. Worrying times...

#136 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:25

I feel sick. I was hoping for better, but this seems like they have switched places with HRT. Worrying times...

It is worrying but HRT first drove their car at FP1 in Aus so there is hope yet.

#137 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:25

Still rather support an underdog through thick, hang on... thin and thin, than gloryhunt. ;-)

#138 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:28

Still rather support an underdog through thick, hang on... thin and thin, than gloryhunt. ;-)

Me too, I am of a Spanish persuasion though.;)

#139 xxiiooiixx

xxiiooiixx

• 100 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:28

FIA "So John, we've got your crash test result.........."

John Booth "Great, i'll just look at them to confirm the good ne.............

Posted Image

They will have to fork out some cash and rent a race track for a shakedown. But they can make it, HRT was in the same position Last week Marussia can still do it.

Edited by xxiiooiixx, 27 February 2012 - 21:34.

Advertisement

#140 FlashMaster

FlashMaster

• 1,901 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:32

@alanbaldwinf1 "Marussia will miss the final pre-season test in Barcelona after their new car failed its 18th and last crash test after passing 17 others."

Posted Image

#141 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 915 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:33

What area is the 18th test aimed at? Or is there not any set order and they've just failed 1 test (so not really the 'last' test).

Edited by onewingedangel, 27 February 2012 - 21:35.

#142 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:38

@alanbaldwinf1 "Marussia will miss the final pre-season test in Barcelona after their new car failed its 18th and last crash test after passing 17 others."

Posted Image

I can almost hear Nick Wirth laughing from beyond his Formula 1 grave. :lol:

#143 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,180 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 21:56

I can almost hear Nick Wirth laughing from beyond his Formula 1 grave. :lol:

As long as the test wasn't for fuel tank size I don't think he can talk! :lol:

#144 bogi

bogi

• 3,045 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:00

http://www.autoweek....04/F1/110709963

Virgin said the McLaren deal will see it benefit “from access to McLaren facilities, knowledge and capabilities, for example their test rigs and driver-in-the-loop simulator, supply-chain experience and computational fluid dynamics and computer-aided engineering techniques, including race-strategy tools.”

It also said that the deal “will also see McLaren management and production staff embedded within the team, working in roles permitted by the Concorde Agreement.”

How is this possible? :stoned:

#145 Owen

Owen

• 10,526 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:01

Something is wrong with F1 that these minnows can be given the chance to compete yet year in, year out they are struggling even to get on the grid. Is it just too difficult for new teams nowadays?

#146 KateLM

KateLM

• 2,341 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:04

I feel sorry for the drivers, but I really don't see any excuse for being in this situation when even HRT have passed their crash tests by now.

#147 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 691 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:14

There are no excuses. It's disappointing and will set them on the backfoot come Melbourne. Using the fly away races for testing was not what i had in mind when announced the mclaren deal last year.

#148 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,881 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:22

I doubt F1 needs them. Agree, small teams are needed, but let's be serious...

#149 xxiiooiixx

xxiiooiixx

• 100 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:24

http://www.autoweek....04/F1/110709963

How is this possible? :stoned:

Larger organisations are usually less efficient then smaller ones. In Mclaren they got the time and money for their staff to specialize in their respective areas, where as in smaller organisations people do everything and just get on with the job.

Something is wrong with F1 that these minnows can be given the chance to compete yet year in, year out they are struggling even to get on the grid. Is it just too difficult for new teams nowadays?

Yes I agree like the new rule that says teams can't test until all the homologation has been passed, this was never a problem until Virgin & HRT joins F1. The FIA say they want new teams but the they put hurdles to make it harder.F1 should have 2-3 more new teams

#150 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:36

I don't think Virgin will be last this season now they have taken a conventional approach to design. What will be interesting is their pace relative to Caterham.

We will see. Ultimately, who really cares? Now that Caterham have become pay driver team with Paytrov, I really don't care who wins. In fact, I would like to see Caterham fail, and Marrusia beat Caterham.