Photo

Marussia F1 - 2012

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#151 Siperoth

Siperoth

• 321 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 22:48

We will see. Ultimately, who really cares? Now that Caterham have become pay driver team with Paytrov, I really don't care who wins. In fact, I would like to see Caterham fail, and Marrusia beat Caterham.

Italian getting pissed Trulli lost his seat i presume? :p

Anyway HRT got all the people criticizing them and yet they did better than this guys. Hmm...i guess Marussia now regrets leaving things so late, first two races are gonna be testing the car instead of racing.

Advertisement

#152 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 372 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:05

Could they also be the most wobbly team in terms of funding?

There was a big loss last year. And Lloyds bank . . . not doin' so well and all . . . had a stake. Some grim faced accountant might want to write them off.

I think it might be last time around for this team. Unless they pull off something truly inspired . . . like moving to the middle of nowhere in Spain with no staff.

#153 xxiiooiixx

xxiiooiixx

• 100 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:05

We will see. Ultimately, who really cares? Now that Caterham have become pay driver team with Paytrov, I really don't care who wins. In fact, I would like to see Caterham fail, and Marrusia beat Caterham.

This is not totally impossible, Virgin have taken a longer time to produce this car and all we need is a mistake from Caterham. So what if they are well funded, strange things have happened before. A team that needs to buy an identity and brags too much on how they going to beat midfield teams really turns me off. Struggling teams like Virgin at the back are a worthy cause.

#154 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:16

Italian getting pissed Trulli lost his seat i presume? :p

Anyway HRT got all the people criticizing them and yet they did better than this guys. Hmm...i guess Marussia now regrets leaving things so late, first two races are gonna be testing the car instead of racing.

I am British. Jarno is one of my favourite drivers though, I even named my youngest boy Jarno. Yes I am pissed off at Caterham replacing a race winner with a pay driver. BTW, Jarno is a Finnish name, with Trulli being named after a Finnish motorbike rider. So, I named my youngest boy after an Italian who has his name named after a Finnish guy. Ultimately though, the biggest irony is that Jarno, Joshua and Zachary, (my 3 boys names), are all Jewish of origin despite me being an Agnostic of Irish origin forced to attend Catholic schools.

Work that one out? :rotfl:

Edited by Tifosi4ever, 27 February 2012 - 23:26.

#155 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,555 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:25

I am British. Jarno is one of my favourite drivers though, I even named my youngest boy Jarno. Yes I am pissed off at Caterham replacing a race winner with a pay driver. BTW, Jarno is a Finnish name, with Trulli being named after a Finnish Rally driver. So, I named my youngest boy after an Italian who has hid name named after a Finnish guy. Ultimately though, the biggest irony is that Jarno, Joshua and Zachary, (my 3 boys names), are all Jewish of origin despite me being an Agnostic of Irish origin forced to attend Catholic schools.

Work that one out? :rotfl:

Finnish biker.

#156 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:27

Finnish biker.

Edited

#157 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:44

Something is wrong with F1 that these minnows can be given the chance to compete yet year in, year out they are struggling even to get on the grid. Is it just too difficult for new teams nowadays?

They made it to testing the last two years, this year was completely unexpected (for whatever reason) but there doesn't seem to be any obvious problems for new teams. Caterham are doing fine.

Yes I agree like the new rule that says teams can't test until all the homologation has been passed, this was never a problem until Virgin & HRT joins F1. The FIA say they want new teams but the they put hurdles to make it harder.F1 should have 2-3 more new teams

I'm astonished testing was actually allowed with unsafe cars actually. This is a perfectly sensible rule that should of been in place years ago, especially for small teams who may be rushing production on their cars. Not being able to pass the crash tests means your car is going to be in trouble anyway.

You want Caterham, a team that hired a talented wealthy driver with multiple lower series wins to replace a failing mediocre old driver, to win over Marussia, a team that has hired the third new average pay driver for the third year in the row?

#158 xxiiooiixx

xxiiooiixx

• 100 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:45

Could they also be the most wobbly team in terms of funding?

There was a big loss last year. And Lloyds bank . . . not doin' so well and all . . . had a stake. Some grim faced accountant might want to write them off.

I think it might be last time around for this team. Unless they pull off something truly inspired . . . like moving to the middle of nowhere in Spain with no staff.

It would be nice to see Marrussia set up camp in Spain next door to HRT it isn't such a bad idea Spain isn't that far and Isolated. Or even better if they moved to the Basque region they can take advantage of the Facilities and wind tunnel built by Eplsilon euskadi now EPIC racing.

#159 Anonymous

Anonymous

• 2,948 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:50

This team has to die.

Advertisement

#160 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,517 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 00:42

What happens if they fail another crash test and can't make Australia? Are they excluded from the championship as they are unable to participate in every race weekend? :confused: I can't think of a previous precedence where that has happened, at least in recent memory - in the cases of Super Aguri, Arrows and even Lola back in 1997, they all went into administration. Arrows I think were excluded and then went into administration, but I may be wrong.

I think HRT missed the last two Oz's. They were 'there' but didn't participate in the race.

CC

#161 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:31

This team has to die.

And let the FIA admit their budget cutting and test restrictions resulted in zilch new good teams? That will never happen.

#162 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:35

Posted Image

#163 Siperoth

Siperoth

• 321 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:52

This team has to die.

Pointless comment is pointless.

#164 WDC1992

WDC1992

• 93 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:30

Yeah this whole new team thing has been a grand failure. They should have been allowed to test unrestricted for the first 3 years, i think all F1 fans are tired of this crap now.

#165 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:46

Sorry, I have to:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It was already bad with the news that they will put new car in windtunnel only from February. Then they missed Jerez test, while their rookie driver badly needs mileage in any F1 car. Then Pic only drove for 2 days in Barcelona, as they had big failure in 4th day of testing. Now MR01 failed crash test and they won't appear in Barcelona again at all, only to launch new car in Melbourne. What a joke. I can only imagine how pissed Timo is (who's not happy bunny) and how difficult it will be for Pic. Will they make it within 107% in Australia?

#166 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,650 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:59

Unrestricted testing is not the answer. The big teams will just spend millions on track squeezing the pole time and putting more pressure on the smaller teams via the 107% rule.
The fact that they are resubmitting the part at the end of the week for retesting suggests its not a major part. The problem is that the delay knocks on to how many spares they will have available. My guess is that they'll only be able to do a 50km shake down prior to Melbourne.

#167 lemec

lemec

• 286 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:06

It would be nice to see Marrussia set up camp in Spain next door to HRT it isn't such a bad idea Spain isn't that far and Isolated. Or even better if they moved to the Basque region they can take advantage of the Facilities and wind tunnel built by Eplsilon euskadi now EPIC racing.

No. They can't. ePsilon facilities has been foreclosed by the Court after bankruptcy.

Furthermore, EPIC is not ePsilon. The race team was segregated before filling for bankruptcy, apparently JV among others, is currently indicted by the tribunal as such segregation could be considered as a fraudulent concealment of assets.

#168 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:22

A complete farce, boarding a Greek tragedy. Highly paid individuals overseeing a shambles of an operation. There is simply no excuse for it and to think these idiots believe you can do F1 on the cheap. :rolleyes: If an organisation ever needed the help of management consultants, then Marussia is in dire need of management consultant services. These cowboys would struggle to organise a p1ss-up in a brewery. :down: £250K for 10 weeks management consultancy work and Marussia would have avoided the debacle and be in good shape for the future.

#169 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:27

Unrestricted testing is not the answer. The big teams will just spend millions on track squeezing the pole time and putting more pressure on the smaller teams via the 107% rule.
The fact that they are resubmitting the part at the end of the week for retesting suggests its not a major part. The problem is that the delay knocks on to how many spares they will have available. My guess is that they'll only be able to do a 50km shake down prior to Melbourne.

He's saying unrestricted testing for Marussia, HRT & Caterham to catch up to the pack.

Let's be honest it does nobody any good having Caterham 1 second off the pack & HRT and Marussia 2 seconds further back still.

They'd be better served binning HRT & Marussia and allowing RB, McLaren, Ferrari & Mercedes a third 'rookie' entry.

#170 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,342 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:47

Marussia fails the crash test and won't have the new car ready at least until Melbourne and yet we see people laughing at HRT and not at Marussia... :rolleyes:

#171 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,650 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:42

The last thing Marussia need is Management Consultants; People who have no concept of your core business, finding solutions to non existent problems and trousering £5000K an hour for the privilege.
As for third cars let's not raise that hoary problem. Where would it stop? Fourth cars for when teams like Sauber and Williams drop off the performance curve.
Let's at least give both HRT and Marussia this season before traducing them. Marussia will be introducing a windtunnel evolved chassis and HRT are racing a car not based on GP2 technology.

#172 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,708 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 13:53

I think HRT missed the last two Oz's. They were 'there' but didn't participate in the race.

CC

Hispania didn't test before the first race of 2010 (which was in Bahrain), but both cars were allowed to start because the 107% rule had not yet been re-introduced. Chandhok spun off on the first lap and Senna completed ~20 laps before his engine failed.

Edited by midgrid, 28 February 2012 - 13:53.

#173 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,439 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 14:23

an off topic story: I was at the Belgian GP last year. Got chatting to some ENglish lads there who had told me a story where they'd sent fake letters to all the F1 teams expressing interest in sponsoring them, and could they meet them at the Belgian GP. The only team that responded was Marussia and these guys got a private tour of the garage on the Friday night, got to stand right with the cars as they were worked on, and see the pit facilities.

#174 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 14:25

an off topic story: I was at the Belgian GP last year. Got chatting to some ENglish lads there who had told me a story where they'd sent fake letters to all the F1 teams expressing interest in sponsoring them, and could they meet them at the Belgian GP. The only team that responded was Marussia and these guys got a private tour of the garage on the Friday night, got to stand right with the cars as they were worked on, and see the pit facilities.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Need to do that.

#175 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 14:32

:lol:

#176 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 15:29

He's saying unrestricted testing for Marussia, HRT & Caterham to catch up to the pack.[...]

Unlimited testing doesn't help much if you don't have the budget to develop your car. It's also pretty expensive, which is why it was restricted in the first place. I can't imagine either Marussia or HRT having the money to run a test team alongside their race team. Also i'm pretty sure that especially the midfield teams would oppose the idea.

But i would like if they'd reintroduce the third car in Friday practice sessions for the slowest teams. Would also give the teams a chance to get their their pay third drivers in the car for some extra money experience. Shouldn't be completely dependent on last season's performance though.

#177 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 15:33

A useless team,if they can't even make a tub in time they need to go to GP2,F1 is too big,too expensive and it requires brains they certainly don't have.

#178 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 15:36

What F1 needs is a F2 racing series, where teams would compete under limited budget. These would enable people to first build the necessary infrastructure and than move up into F1.

#179 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 233 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 15:55

Doesn't bode well for the team and let's not forget this was one of the teams that mad max claimed could easily have taken the place of Ferari or Mclaren in 2009.

Advertisement

#180 Sanman59

Sanman59

• 268 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:12

Alain Prost recently commented that he believes it is “absolutely impossible” for F1′s newest teams to ever break the dominance of the sport’s major teams.

"I will say quite frankly that they cannot become competitive in today’s F1. It’s impossible”. They can make some progress, but of course you must immediately put the question - what goals do they pursue? To break into the top five with a new team like this in Formula One? – it is absolutely impossible.”

http://www.yallaf1.c...-and-modern-f1/

#181 lemec

lemec

• 286 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:41

Unlimited testing doesn't help much if you don't have the budget to develop your car. It's also pretty expensive, which is why it was restricted in the first place. I can't imagine either Marussia or HRT having the money to run a test team alongside their race team. Also i'm pretty sure that especially the midfield teams would oppose the idea.

But i would like if they'd reintroduce the third car in Friday practice sessions for the slowest teams. Would also give the teams a chance to get their their pay third drivers in the car for some extra money experience. Shouldn't be completely dependent on last season's performance though.

It helps. It's not the silver bullet but it helps.

More that unrestricted testing is matter of giving more flexibility to those teams. I.e. allowing them for some private testing and/or some extra formal sessions during the seasons.

Edited by lemec, 28 February 2012 - 16:41.

#182 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:46

What F1 needs is a F2 racing series, where teams would compete under limited budget. These would enable people to first build the necessary infrastructure and than move up into F1.

That would be ideal, but unfortunately everything was Dallaraised years ago and no one seems to want to start a proper F2 series again. The closest you can get nowadays is choosing an engine and a slightly different spec-chassis in F3, which is no preparation for F1.

#183 Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck

• 2,517 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:59

Hispania didn't test before the first race of 2010 (which was in Bahrain), but both cars were allowed to start because the 107% rule had not yet been re-introduced. Chandhok spun off on the first lap and Senna completed ~20 laps before his engine failed.

Thanks for the clarification! Memory not so good...

CC

#184 VARGR

VARGR

• 22 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 17:24

When they do show up with the new car I wonder if they are changing the livery. The GP2 team Carlin has come under Marussia sponsorship with a new livery. So I'm wondering if the F1 team will also change theirs to this.
Posted Image

#185 highdownforce

highdownforce

• 3,677 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 17:36

When they do show up with the new car I wonder if they are changing the livery. The GP2 team Carlin has come under Marussia sponsorship with a new livery. So I'm wondering if the F1 team will also change theirs to this.
Posted Image

Front view:
Posted Image

It's possible, I think.

#186 xxiiooiixx

xxiiooiixx

• 100 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:09

No. They can't. ePsilon facilities has been foreclosed by the Court after bankruptcy.

Furthermore, EPIC is not ePsilon. The race team was segregated before filling for bankruptcy, apparently JV among others, is currently indicted by the tribunal as such segregation could be considered as a fraudulent concealment of assets.

Yes but no one in their right mind is going to demolish a high tech facility built with public funding! who ever ends up with it will want to rent it out. Yes its true but EPIC came out of ePsilon weather they have been segregated or not you would not have EPIC if ePsilon did not exist. So when media mention EPIC they tend to mention ePsilon because it identifies who EPIC are.

My original response was to show that moving to Spain was not as crazy as what people make it out to be, there are facilities that could potentially support a team. but I guess in Marussia current state it would be crazy.

#187 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 684 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:16

My original response was to show that moving to Spain was not as crazy as what people make it out to be, there are facilities that could potentially support a team. but I guess in Marussia current state it would be crazy.

I'm not sure, but i think their Banbury facilities which they bought from Wirth are quite new. Nick Wirth must be laughing his ass off as this cockup is pretty much a direct consequence of Wirth Research's departure.

#188 lemec

lemec

• 286 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:26

Yes but no one in their right mind is going to demolish a high tech facility built with public funding! who ever ends up with it will want to rent it out. Yes its true but EPIC came out of ePsilon weather they have been segregated or not you would not have EPIC if ePsilon did not exist. So when media mention EPIC they tend to mention ePsilon because it identifies who EPIC are.

Who says such a thing!

The facilities will be stripped of its machinery that will be recovered by creditors and a public auction will be held to sell the rest.

Only then, and by means of an unlikely agreement with the Vasque authorities some one could envisage to reuse the empty plant and, eventually, the wind tunnel in not sold to.

Of course it is not crazy moving somewhere in Spain but plan moving to former ePsilon facilities is impossible today.

All that anyone should expect recovering from the failed Joan's adventure is personel (already done) and some useful almost-new material as the autoclaves.

Edited by lemec, 29 February 2012 - 09:28.

#189 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,020 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 14:48

Front view:
Posted Image

It's possible, I think.

Posted Image

#190 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 14:55

I don't get why they can't just show us their car now. They can't seriously aim for a great presentation right before Melbourne FP1, right?

#191 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 14:56

Front view:
Posted Image

It's possible, I think.

Looks lovely, prefer it to their old design. Which was equally nice but had grown a bit boring.

#192 jamiegc

jamiegc

• 2,429 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 15:39

I don't get why they can't just show us their car now. They can't seriously aim for a great presentation right before Melbourne FP1, right?

What car?

#193 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 554 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:19

Front view:
Posted Image

It's possible, I think.

I think it looks like dennis the menace....

Any news on this team? I will carry on supporting them... but man the news is quiet as. Bit nerve racking. Part of me is hoping that things slot in a la force india and work as the season goes on, but to only turn a wheel in anger at FP1 has me seriously concerned!

#194 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,182 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 14:47

Ted Kravitz ‏ @tedkravitz Close
Hearing Marussia will run their new car at Silverstone on Monday with Glock driving.
2:43 PM - 4 Mar 12 :up:

#195 Mastah

Mastah

• 3,679 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 14:51

The question is - crash tested version or not?

#196 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 554 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 14:54

you would hope so....

#197 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,716 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 15:07

there not allowed to run a uncrash tested car now

#198 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 15:08

there not allowed to run a uncrash tested car now

You can if it not a preseason test, so filming days and straight line days are allowed!

#199 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 15:19

Ted Kravitz ‏ @tedkravitz Close
Hearing Marussia will run their new car at Silverstone on Monday with Glock driving.
2:43 PM - 4 Mar 12 :up:

Good, looking forward to see another low-nose car running in 2012!

Advertisement

#200 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 16:22

Not allowed to run it unless tested.