Photo

Marussia F1 - 2012

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#301 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 18:36

15th, 17th, 15th in 3 seasons of Superleague Formula. Out of 18 teams.

Holy crap... :wave: :rotfl:

Advertisement

#302 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 18:49

Holy crap... :wave: :rotfl:

"Women, for pity's sake DON'T DRIVE!!"

http://www.google.co...VGbFz4d-NKFwc_g

Edited by Tifosi4ever, 07 March 2012 - 18:56.

#303 billm99uk

billm99uk

• 2,576 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 18:58

:eek:

Oh well, at least it's not Danica :p

#304 OSX

OSX

• 4,050 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 19:42

Well, she's bound to generate some attention to the team and that can only be a good thing at the moment.

Posted Image

#305 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 19:44

Nice front aero there.

#306 Showty

Showty

• 1,257 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 20:46

There u have your new test driver, folks,

She´s managed by 2MB Sports Management, a Mark Blundell company.

Good thing the team is no longer called Virgin.

#307 lemec

lemec

• 286 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 22:47

This will certainly look odd on the «Young Driver» part of the young drivers test ...

No more than Gary Puffet

Edited by lemec, 08 March 2012 - 13:30.

#308 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:33

What a disgrace. There must be so many more talented women out there.

But of course Marussia get the PR for having a woman driver, and feminists will crow about it, and everyone will overlook the completely embarrassing fact that she's obviously no good and there for PR and a sponsor cheque.

#309 king_crud

king_crud

• 1,307 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:50

she could stiffen my upright wishbone any time

Edited by king_crud, 08 March 2012 - 11:51.

#310 Owen

Owen

• 10,270 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:58

http://cdn.f1zone.ne...1/g7c7063_3.jpg

nose looks a bit like McLaren on side profile. Wonder if they had input on that?

#311 wingwalker

wingwalker

• 6,326 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 13:01

Good thing the team is no longer called Virgin.

:lol: :up:

#312 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 540 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 18:34

Good article about Marussia on Autosport plus at the moment, seems like the team may have a difficult start in terms of reliability entering the unknown and unlocking potential, but once they get on top of it, Q2 is the goal, go purchase it, it's a great read!

#313 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,445 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 19:21

Also, by reading the budget cap article. It does seem like they still think Nick Wirth and his plan was, and is doable! I like that! :)

#314 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 540 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 22:23

Also, by reading the budget cap article. It does seem like they still think Nick Wirth and his plan was, and is doable! I like that! :)

Agreed. Much better for the fans if it is capped, and for closer racing, less of an arms race and brings back the days of clever engineering to get closer to the competition. I wish there was one more team on the grid d be as well 26 car grid is the max I know, but it would throw a bit more chaos into the mix! I think they are right in saying that customer cars area no no, teams in the right nurturing should be able to herald their own engineering and I know they get baulked by some fans, but I am genuinely impressed that they can get within 4 seconds at times to teams with a ridiculously larger infastructure. I like the approach of larger teams a la McLaren allowing the use of their wind tunnel etc, as opposed to customer cars, as that allows the lower teams to grow.

It was a shame that Nick's plan didnt work out, I think obviously hindsight is a bitch, but it would have been a little bit wiser to correlate their data to a windtunnel rather than going in billy big bollocks and not reall hugely improving on performance on the last year reliable but non improvement debacle.

What does everyone else predict come Sunday, are they going to get within 107%, or are peoples thoughts different to mine?

#315 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,647 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 22:36

It was a shame Wirth's CFD only plan didn't work out, but I do believe given time and a bit more development of the technology we'll see the trial being carried out again within the decade. The potential savings makes it too much of an opportunity to ignore. I do agree though that a few windtunnel runs should still be carried out, just to help the transition in moving to CFD-only.

I think that Marussia should be easily quick enough to meet the 107% time, and be at least on par with HRT. The bigger question is how reliable the car is going to be? They did not get the car out in testing and only managed a brief shakedown - they'll qualify but I expect two DNFs. They'll be better than HRT was in Australia last year though, at least the whole team is actually still in place!

#316 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 540 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 19:10

Boy Wonder eats chocolate cake in his car... the man is a legend!
http://www.youtube.c...g...screen&NR=1

#317 Francesc

Francesc

• 2,224 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:48

I have to say that I'm impressed with the car's pace out of the box. We don't know fuel levels and etc, but Glock being already faster than Petrov's Caterham being the first proper day of the car on track looks promising.

#318 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:50

I have to say that I'm impressed with the car's pace out of the box. We don't know fuel levels and etc, but Glock being already faster than Petrov's Caterham being the first proper day of the car on track looks promising.

Well done to Marussia... :up:

#319 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 540 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 13:45

Appears I have to make a large 'humble cake' pie for a few real naysayers, who would like the first slice?

I still predict they will be 2.4-3.4 secs off the pace though, still that is what I would expect!

Advertisement

#320 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,460 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 16:25

AFAIK most of the naysaying centred around the all CFD BS. From the moment they dumped Wirth's all CFD Fundamentalism Marussia were on an upward trajectory.

#321 Kerch

Kerch

• 1,028 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 17:34

AFAIK most of the naysaying centred around the all CFD BS. From the moment they dumped Wirth's all CFD Fundamentalism Marussia were on an upward trajectory.

Shame people will interpret it as "wind tunnel vs CFD", when really it's "wind tunnel + calibrated CFD vs only CFD", which was never a good idea.

#322 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 17:45

Shame people will interpret it as "wind tunnel vs CFD", when really it's "wind tunnel + calibrated CFD vs only CFD", which was never a good idea.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the MR01 is a fully CFD car.... It was on Autosport Plus article with John Booth.

#323 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,362 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 17:48

I'm sure I read somewhere that the MR01 is a fully CFD car.... It was on Autosport Plus article with John Booth.

It will be wind tunnel tested in the future, but their tight time scale meant that they did actually still follow the all-CFD design process they supposedly 'ditched' with Wirth.

The car does look to have some pace out of the box though, which is less of an indictment on CFD and more that the design team at Wirth Research wasn't good enough (with F1 cars, their LMPs are very good).

#324 l8apex

l8apex

• 190 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 18:03

It will be wind tunnel tested in the future, but their tight time scale meant that they did actually still follow the all-CFD design process they supposedly 'ditched' with Wirth.

The car does look to have some pace out of the box though, which is less of an indictment on CFD and more that the design team at Wirth Research wasn't good enough (with F1 cars, their LMPs are very good).

^^ I think you are right on the money here. Basically the Wirth design team did a terrible job designing F1 cars, but under the guidance of Pat Symonds they have put a decent team together. The car looked impressive out of the box given how little running they did!

Could we see a Marussia that beats Caterham over the season, it seems possible!

#325 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,458 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 18:24

i always looked at the simple f1 cars they turned out, and then at the complex lmp designs and wonder wtf was going on

#326 Kerch

Kerch

• 1,028 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:37

Pace was a touch disappointing today, but there are some positives:

- 107% shouldn't be a problem. The car has had very little running and Glock was comfortably inside 107%. Pic was a little closer, but it should be fine as he and the team will only improve.
- Caterham have made surprisingly little progress, so they are still there as a realistic target to aim at.
- HRT have made Marussia look positively professional by comparison.

#327 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,362 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:44

Pace was a touch disappointing today, but there are some positives:

- 107% shouldn't be a problem. The car has had very little running and Glock was comfortably inside 107%. Pic was a little closer, but it should be fine as he and the team will only improve.
- Caterham have made surprisingly little progress, so they are still there as a realistic target to aim at.
- HRT have made Marussia look positively professional by comparison.

The car is still in the same place as HRT in terms of relative mileage though, so performance gains will be found in big chunks. Car looks a lot better than the last two already, and even though it's still CFD-only they will be wind-tunnel testing it for extra data.

#328 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 634 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 14:12

I'd just like to point out, that even though they put the new car to the wind tunnel as late as february (<-- according to symonds), they did use the mclaren wt quite a lot with the old mvr-02. They did that to get the correlation between wind tunnel, cfd and data from straight line tests right. They have apparently also put quite a lot effort in trying to understand the flaws of the old car.

The MR01 didn't exactly shine today, but qualifying to the race was always the target after a difficult winter. And like someone said the car and the team performed very well compared to their closest rivals. Being over 3 seconds off the Q2 cut off isn't something to celebrate, but i guess the setup work has just began, and there should be quite a lot of time to be found there.

#329 seahawk

seahawk

• 2,915 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 14:45

They calibrated their CFD with the old car. The whole CFD design is not bad, it just becomes bad if you do not calibrate your CFD software with real wt data. ut the first running of the car looked promising. But one can not deny the fact that Glock´s talent is wasted in that car. It is kind of sad to see him in that car and Massa in the Ferrari.

Edited by seahawk, 17 March 2012 - 14:46.

#330 Elloh

Elloh

• 292 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:05

19. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1m28.679s + 2.497
20. Vitaly Petrov Caterham-Renault 1m29.018s + 2.836
21. Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 1m30.923s + 4.741
22. Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 1m31.670s + 5.488

Seems Marussia wont be a match against Caterham this year, Glock almost 2 seconds (!) slower than worst Caterham. Stable second worst team this year.

#331 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,445 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 23:01

At least wait until they know something about the car. They've had 4 hours of practice, and 20 min qual. That's less than a half day of testing. Which Caterham had 12 of...

#332 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:12

Wonder what position

https://twitter.com/#!/Georgee_F1

Ocuppys in the team??

#333 Disgrace

Disgrace

• 8,851 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:06

Crucial double finish in a high-attrition race after no testing.

Success. :up:

#334 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:48

Wonder what position

Ocuppys in the team??

She's the Head of Events according to LinkedIn.

#335 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 370 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:17

Go Glock and Pic.

Nice start for Marussia and yeah reliability could be the best way to get 10th position.

#336 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,687 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:51

Damn, must say that I'm very impressed with Marussia's performance today. Double finish with a car that had zero testing? Nice one!

#337 Snic

Snic

• 554 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:22

This has almost certainly guaranteed Marussia 10th place in the constructors with a 13th place finish! They can already start building the 2013 car now with the extra constructors money they'll get :p

Edited by Snic, 18 March 2012 - 10:23.

#338 dau

dau

• 4,510 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:36

This has almost certainly guaranteed Marussia 10th place in the constructors with a 13th place finish! They can already start building the 2013 car now with the extra constructors money they'll get :p

It's just a 14th place for Glock. Maldonado was a lap ahead.

I also just noticed Pic actually retired, but is still classified 15th, 5 laps behind.

#339 Wheels23

Wheels23

• 370 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:38

Well Pastor should have been 6th :(

Yeah solid performance. Still find the livery eh but it's all good.

Advertisement

#340 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 5,647 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 22:18

Damn, must say that I'm very impressed with Marussia's performance today. Double finish with a car that had zero testing? Nice one!

I looked for this thread to comment on that! That was very impressive - I was expecting mechanical failures most of the weekend, but nope they managed to pull it off. I do hope they can improve off the back.

#341 bass6

bass6

• 42 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:19

Very impressive at Oz, lets hope the team can develop further this weekend. Go Marussia!!

#342 bass6

bass6

• 42 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:19

Very impressive at Oz, lets hope the team can develop further this weekend. Go Marussia!!

#343 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,460 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:48

Glock only 3 tenths off the leading Caterham. I have it on good authority that they're running a McLaren Technologies gearbox. It would appear that the Cosworth engine is nowhere as bad as last year's Williams made it look.

#344 Iseriouslyhadenough

Iseriouslyhadenough

• 144 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:55

Wonder what position

Ocuppys in the team??

WOW!

I want her

job. What did you expected, eh? :stoned:

#345 FordFan

FordFan

• 3,378 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 13:45

Glock only 3 tenths off the leading Caterham. I have it on good authority that they're running a McLaren Technologies gearbox. It would appear that the Cosworth engine is nowhere as bad as last year's Williams made it look.

The Cosworth certainly isn't down on power, and Malaysia is much more of a power track than Aus. The benefit of the Renault is packaging and drivability, but i wouldn't be surprised if the Cosworth and a couple of BHP advantage.

#346 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 540 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 13:51

COME ON MARUSSIA, WROOOOOAOR!

#347 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,019 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 13:55

The Cosworth certainly isn't down on power, and Malaysia is much more of a power track than Aus. The benefit of the Renault is packaging and drivability, but i wouldn't be surprised if the Cosworth and a couple of BHP advantage.

Apparently the Cozza suffers quite badly with performance drop over its life time, compared with the others. So out of the box it might have good BHP but comes race 3 the power out put would have dropped quite a bit. Remember reading that somewhere anyway! Think its was Rubens who said that, can't find a link though!

#348 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,460 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 14:17

Apparently the Cozza suffers quite badly with performance drop over its life time, compared with the others. So out of the box it might have good BHP but comes race 3 the power out put would have dropped quite a bit. Remember reading that somewhere anyway! Think its was Rubens who said that, can't find a link though!

The power degradation was a problem in 2010. It has now been largely addressed. Driveability and fuel consumptions were problems alluded to last year. In addition the Cosworth has to run cooler than the Renault.

#349 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 634 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 14:24

I have a feeling that Glock's time might have been a low fuel run. They didn't have the time to do any proper race fuel runs because they're still working on the setup. If the gap to Caterham i less than a second in quali, then i'm very impressed. However i wouldn't be suprised if it was closer to two seconds. I think that the car is still too basic to be threat to Caterhams, but at the same time i feel that it could evolve into a pretty good package once they start getting some upgrades. So far it's looking quite promising, but if there's one thing i've learned over the last two years i've been following this team, it's that whenever things are looking good, prepare yourself to be disappointed.

#350 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 634 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:36

Good race by the team today. Pic was solid, and Timo did really well. Managed to finish ahead of a Caterham after Kovalainen went off and had to change his front wing. And they are still 10th in the WCC.