Photo

Marussia F1 - 2012

• Please log in to reply
541 replies to this topic

#401 f1fan1998

f1fan1998

• 292 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:36

I would be surprised to see Timo back in the car again. Graham Chilton bought LLoyds shares in the team recently, and that will guarantee Max Chilton a drive. Thought it was for next year, but let's see if Max is in the car at Silverstone.

Advertisement

#402 Starish

Starish

• 986 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 15:05

Another under performing daddy's boy.

#403 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 14:14

De Villota to test significant Marussia upgrade

Marussia's female test driver Maria De Villota will get behind the wheel of the team's MR01 to test a 'significant' upgrade prior to the British Grand Prix.

WEB

#404 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 05:27

De Villota's test is a waste of time. However Marussia should find plenty of time in their upgrade simple by virtue of running a validated windtunnel program.

#405 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 690 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:30

De Villota's test is a waste of time. However Marussia should find plenty of time in their upgrade simple by virtue of running a validated windtunnel program.

It's a straight line test. They could have a trained monkey behind the wheel and still get the results they need. But it interesting to see if they have for the first time in the team's history produced an upgrade that actually improves their performance.

#406 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,203 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:30

I've split the de Villota testing crash discussion off into a separate thread: http://forums.autosp...howtopic=170421

#407 TFLB

TFLB

• 1,616 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:31

I really wish her well and hope she gets through this okay. :(

but she really shouldn't have been in that car, I hope they learn from this and stick to their normal drivers/test drivers.

Less qualified drivers have driven F1 cars before. I mean, I think at the Goodwood festival of speed a few years ago Newey drove on of his own Red Bulls, for example. Maria de Villota is an experienced racing driver, she would have known how to drive it. By most accounts this was a mechanical problem. So why doesn't everyone get off their high horse and stop with all the 'that's what happens when you put an unqualified driver in an F1 car nonsense'.

#408 Doughnut King

Doughnut King

• 476 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:33

Let's face it I have all her racing records, almost every incident she's ever been in, what cars she has and has not driven in and what (poor) results she has attained with the cars she has got. I believe that is more than enough to judge competency - her records show she shouldn't be in an F1 car and today, sadly, proves it.

An amateur team using an amateur driver purely for PR because of her sex has resulted in serious injury. A) I hope Marussia get hammered by the Health & Safety executive and B) I hope this serves as a lesson to other teams and hopefully bring about new regulations to prevent incidents like this in the future.

You aren't in a position to judge whether comments are inappropriate or not, this is a discussion forum for debating topics and this is a major topic - many people including myself warned about incidents like this using inexperienced drivers for PR stunts before this happened and I believe it is entirely healthy to discuss it now. This is a thread for Marussia racing, if you want to make a get well soon thread for tributes and alike then feel free but in the mean time staying silent on the issue isn't going to magically change what happened this morning. Excuse me if I've offended your sensibilities. Now can we revert back to discussing the team and events this morning and not each other please. Thank you.

Given that we have no confirmed details of what caused this accident (and I am open to the possibility of driver error as much as some technical malfunction) I think it is best not to cast any blame on anyone yet.

I agree that she, on her results, probably should not have been in the car.

Edited by Doughnut King, 03 July 2012 - 10:34.

#409 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 16:06

I would question whether we, the public, will ever know the truth of the accident. However I'm willing to wager that Marussia know exactly what happened from the telemetry.

Edited by Petroltorque, 03 July 2012 - 16:07.

#410 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 16:09

Have to say that the exhaust solution looked good for a backmarker like Marussia

#411 Prost1997T

Prost1997T

• 1,947 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 19:20

Octavian, I take it you also criticised Lotus Racing (now Caterham)'s decision to have a 16 year old test their 2010 car in the same location?

#412 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 15:28

You can test with a driver of any age if he or she has shown aptitude and talent. We'll need to know what happend exactly but how many times have we seen drivers find the clutch bite point after boxing during free practice?

#413 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 690 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 20:26

Just took a look at the sector times. Timo was 19th in S1, 15th in S2 and 13th in S3. The ideal lap time would have been 1.46,8 which would have put him into Q2.

#414 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:25

New looking nose, a-la Force india, noticed new exhaust pods and apparent the side pods have changed although I can't see those being that drastic.

anyone else noticed the changes?

#415 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:32

does marussia make any money from racing in formula 1 ? or hrt ?

#416 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,137 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:39

Caterham are making progress. Slow, incremental progress at a disappointing rate, but progress anyway. It's a real team.

HRT at least gives the impression of trying hard. They've punched above their weight all year, really, all things considered.

What is the point of Marussia? Rubbish car, no progress, no sense even of enthusiasm.

#417 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,169 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:01

No one but Bernie directly makes money from F1.

Caterham are making progress. Slow, incremental progress at a disappointing rate, but progress anyway. It's a real team.

HRT at least gives the impression of trying hard. They've punched above their weight all year, really, all things considered.

What is the point of Marussia? Rubbish car, no progress, no sense even of enthusiasm.

The same as the other two teams. Marussia are probably the most ignored team on the grid, but they've been quietly building up a team and trying to move forward after they split with Wirth and the failed CFD project last year.

#418 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:56

Around Euro 10 million from television rights. They get additional monies from drivers and sponsorship. How much of that translates into an operation profit/ loss is a different matter.

#419 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 15:58

I think you're mailgning the team. They've had to restart from year zero after the split with Wirth.

Advertisement

#420 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 17:42

marussia is like force india , frankly i dont sense any kind of passion for racing in these two teams , i dont feel they have the right motivation to go motor racing , they are like fast moving ad banners . ever other team is racing for a purpose , for a goal.

#421 Myrvold

Myrvold

• 2,755 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 19:05

The owners maybe. But the guys driving for the teams, the guys that are working for them. They have the passion.

#422 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 19:13

3 years in a row 3 different lineups marussia and force india

#423 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 19:17

I like all teams bar Ferrari. And 3 different lineups? Kudos to them.

#424 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 690 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 20:16

marussia is like force india , frankly i dont sense any kind of passion for racing in these two teams , i dont feel they have the right motivation to go motor racing , they are like fast moving ad banners . ever other team is racing for a purpose , for a goal.

Then you're not probably following them enough. No passion? No motivation? No goal? What would they have to be doing to make you think they're racing for real, not just advertising? If there is one team in the sport that isn't racing for the right reasons, then it's Red Bull's kindergarten.

#425 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:06

At Silverstone Glock finished less than 20s behind Kouvalainen. That equates to a deficit of less than half a second a lap to Caterham in a car lacking KERS and running a Cosworth engine that everyone likes to demean. In addition Marussia are the only new team to run it's own bespoke gearbox. Lack of pasion, you're letting your fundament do the talking!

#426 Viryfan

Viryfan

• 388 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:28

Pic ahead of Glock :up: :up:

#427 MustangSally

MustangSally

• 372 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 13:58

The owners maybe. But the guys driving for the teams, the guys that are working for them. They have the passion.

That was the case, certainly. Branson was just dabbling in F1. Wirth gave the impression of milking the team too . . . didn't he get a few million severance for not the greatest contribution? Kolles did the best job he could in my view, but he was only ever allowed to operate on a shoestring. Both teams have been at a real disadvantage compared to Caterham, which has a committed owner like Fernandes. All things considered, it is surprising they've been able to keep up.

#428 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:52

Lets dust this off and put it up shiny for everyone to see..... Kers in 2013 for Marussia, from Williams no-less! Great!

#429 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 13:11

I've been mightily impressed by Marussia. This year they have got their sh1t together. It's not unthinkable given favourable conditions that they could usurp Caterham for Tenth spot.

#430 Wingcommander

Wingcommander

• 690 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 14:31

So, apparently they have some kind of a double drs? Or that's what i thought i heard during fp1 on bbc.

#431 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:34

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102080

I am not sure, but it's put them on top of the time sheets :smoking:

#432 amppatel

amppatel

• 464 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 17:44

http://www.autosport...t.php/id/102080

I am not sure, but it's put them on top of the time sheets :smoking:

They have a DDRS system, but that was not what got them to the top of the time sheets as they did not have it installed (due to the rain) - they were at the top purely down to shear pace!

#433 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,759 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 15:27

Great performance from Glock today: only a few tenths behind the Caterhams over the longest track of the year. Surely having KERS would have seen him ahead of Petrov and Kovalainen, and bodes well for next year.

#434 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,048 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 14:52

Right, i'm going to hide out here until the rest of the place cools down a bit!

Quite genuinely my favourite part of the whole GP was the bried moment when we got to see Timo and Charles going toe to toe, looked looked like a great little battle. Timo finished ahead with a two stopper i think but great performance again from both. Marussia must keep these two for 2013.

#435 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:18

Right, i'm going to hide out here until the rest of the place cools down a bit!

Quite genuinely my favourite part of the whole GP was the bried moment when we got to see Timo and Charles going toe to toe, looked looked like a great little battle. Timo finished ahead with a two stopper i think but great performance again from both. Marussia must keep these two for 2013.

Agreed, Glock is the best driver of the smaller teams, Pic is showing himself up as good so far. The development on Marussia seems phenominal considering how far they were from Caterham earlier this season, with the nose regs next season, it puts them in good stead, great news about Cosworth battling on, I think the engine isn't 'that' bad, and with aero development, they are going to take the fight to the teams above by the start of next season!

#436 Massa

Massa

• 4,326 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:25

It was good to see them fighting like that. Charles Pic is awesome, this guy will be in top car in the future, way better than Grosjean.

#437 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:28

Anyone know how the ddrs performed on the marussia today.... if it was even on the car? scarbs rumored it I believe, great innovation, they have bad top speed, so well played imo!

#438 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 16:56

You write off the boys from Northampton at your own risk. There's not that much wrong with the CA2012 engine. They just took the flak for a Williams car last year that was a shitbox.
If I had to put money on a company to produce a competitive engine on a budget it would be Cosworth Engineering. Teams like Marussia and HRT needed Cosworth to commit to the new formula as they cankt afford a €20 million engine.
Credit to Marussia they produced a neat nimble car that's capable of punching above its weight class.

Edited by Petroltorque, 02 September 2012 - 17:27.

#439 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:21

Anyone know how the ddrs performed on the marussia today.... if it was even on the car? scarbs rumored it I believe, great innovation, they have bad top speed, so well played imo!

It wasn't on the car, but they did have a new rear wing config.

Advertisement

#440 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:22

You write off the boys from Northampton at your own risk. There's not that much wrong with the CA2012 engine. They just took the flak for a Williams car last year that was a shitbox.
If I had to put money on a company to produce a competitive engine on a budget it would be Cosworth Engineering. Teams like Marussia and HRT needed Cosworth to commit to the new formula as they cankt afford a €20 million engine.
Credit to Marussia they produced a neat nimble car that's capable of punching above its weight class.

Havent Cosworth already said they AREN'T producing a 2014 engine because it's too costly for them?

#441 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,169 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 18:36

Havent Cosworth already said they AREN'T producing a 2014 engine because it's too costly for them?

That's only speculation, in fact just today Cosworth have said they are planning to construct V6 engines for 2014. I'm very interested what the new tech team can put together for next year, they've obviously suffered from the CFD project failing.

I have to say, Marussia gave us quite the entertaining battle earlier, it would be nice if we could see a few more fights from the back of the grid. Shame Glock got hit though :(

Edited by Fastcake, 02 September 2012 - 18:36.

#442 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 19:43

I suggest you read the official release from Cosworthks Head of F1 Kim Spearman. The only person who claimed Cosworth's non participation was Craig Pollock, who is not a Cosworth employee and whose own project has folded.

#443 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 19:56

I suggest you read the official release from Cosworthks Head of F1 Kim Spearman. The only person who claimed Cosworth's non participation was Craig Pollock, who is not a Cosworth employee and whose own project has folded.

Hey Petroltorque don't jump down my throat.. There has been plenty of speculation on Cosworths part, this is the first press release from them about 2014 :rolleyes:

#444 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 20:08

Hey Petroltorque don't jump down my throat.. There has been plenty of speculation on Cosworths part, this is the first press release from them about 2014 :rolleyes:

I was not jumping down your throat but why would anyone belive what Pollock saidm It was clearly a ploy on his part to drum up business. But we're hijacking the Marussia thread.

#445 cbbcisace

cbbcisace

• 1,081 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 20:10

I was not jumping down your throat but why would anyone belive what Pollock saidm It was clearly a ploy on his part to drum up business. But we're hijacking the Marussia thread.

Hey I wouldn't believe Pollock even if he was the last man on earth :p

#446 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 555 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 13:50

Looking like damage limitation for todays race was successful today. Well ahead of HRT, lap by lap Pic wasn't too far off the Caterham, it will be interesting to see how Kers works next year.

I hope to see Glock and Pic pairing next year. Actually a very strong pairing on the grid.

#447 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 2,593 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:33

Chilton is almost safe at Marussia for next season.

#448 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:10

Chilton is almost safe at Marussia for next season.

So will it be Chilton/Pic or Chilton/Glock then?

#449 Petroltorque

Petroltorque

• 1,701 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:20

Looking like damage limitation for todays race was successful today. Well ahead of HRT, lap by lap Pic wasn't too far off the Caterham, it will be interesting to see how Kers works next year.

I hope to see Glock and Pic pairing next year. Actually a very strong pairing on the grid.

I think the difference between Marussia and Caterham is simply down to KERS. In quali DRS probably adds another 20% to the KERS effect.

#450 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,759 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 15:41

So will it be Chilton/Pic or Chilton/Glock then?

Glock has a long-term contract, and it's been reported that Pic has been in contact with the midfield teams (Williams, Force India and Sauber) about next year. Sauber is his best bet, according to Autosport.