Photo

Porsche 907 race log

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 13:23

Recently I have been researching my favorite racing car, the Porsche 907 (actually one of the very few I'm interested in). I have put together a fairly comprehensive race log, as usual with (more than) a little help from my friends, that lists all known appearances of the 907, from the car's 1967 debut at Le Mans through 1975. Vintage races are not included.

The pdf-file is available for download from my website:

http://www.wegcircuits.nl/porsche.html

Please note this file is a work-in-progress. I have been especially careful about filling in chassis numbers, since I don't just want to rely on other websites without some sort of verification. Zuffenhausen is on my to-visit list for this year anyway.

Who can add anything to the race log? Even if it's just a missing start number, it'll be appreciated. Comments, corrections and questions are also welcomed.

Advertisement

#2 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 18:57

Nothing to add to the race log but 027 spent a couple of years in Vancouver in the late seventies.
It was brought to Vancouver by the mysterious Ted Rowbotham along with two 906s. He claimed to have "found" them all in Portugal...

#3 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:21

Yes David, I read your very interesting thread about the Porsches 906 and 907 in Vancouver. The story ties in with other websites. The current owner of 907-027 should be Kent Morgan in the US.

Can you tell me a little more about when you saw the car in Vancouver? In Portugal, it had a very pretty red/orange and black livery, did it still look like that in Canada? Did you make any photos or perhaps write an article for the magazine you mentioned, "Vantage" ?

#4 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 00:35

Rob, I really don't think I can add anything to what was written in the thread you have linked to. I did have some correspondence with the owner of 906/130 and then recently saw a video on Youtube of it being started "after sitting for many years". Just type 906/130 into YouTube.

I regret that I was simply not aware of how important photographs would be 33 years after first seeing the three cars! They were quite a sight-the two 906s side by side and the 907 on a trestle over their noses. I am afraid I cannot recall the colours now.

Peter Price died over three years ago down in Portland Oregon where he had moved in 1981. One of these days I am going to write a series of stories about my trips with him picking up wonderful historic racing cars in the seventies. Peter's full name was Peter Bolingbroke-Price and he was descended from the Bolingbroke family--Henry the Fifth and all that... He had a remarkable physical resemblance to Henry the Eighth, but he wasn't a Bolingbroke, was he?

Edited by David Birchall, 04 January 2012 - 00:40.

#5 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:28

Thanks David, certainly an interesting story. The race log has been updated, by the way.

#6 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:54

If anyone is interested: the race log has been extensively updated. I have also added the first two detailed histories, of chassis 907-022 and 032. More to follow.

Download the race log at:

http://www.wegcircuits.nl/porsche.html

#7 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:07

I have just uploaded a new version of the race log on my website. This has numerous updates, additions and corrections compared to the previous version. I have also added the full histories of chassis 907-027 and 028.
More to follow...

For the link, see my post above.

Edited by Rob Semmeling, 25 February 2012 - 12:08.

#8 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 13:36

Some further updates added today...

#9 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:06

Another big update today: I have added nearly thirty new events, especially for the period 1974-1976. The new info is mostly courtesy of Ulrich Trispel, Porsche expert and co-author of an epic book about the Porsche 906. Thank you, Ulrich.

In addition, I have reworked the file so that overall- and class results are easier to spot, and there have been several corrections here and there.

Download via: http://www.wegcircuits.nl !