Photo

Spirit of Speed 1937

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Egor

Egor

• 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:40

It has long been learned about the existence of this game, but found it was no easy task.

In my opinion, one of the most underrated games of car racing. The game offers a "free championship" of the best European, American and British cars and tracks of the late thirties.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Cars: Auto Union C & D, Mercedes W125 and W154, Alfa Romeo P3, Bimotore, 12C, Bugatti, 35b, 59, Bonnier Special, ERA Remus, Duesenberg, Miller, Napier Railton and Watson Flyer.

Each car has its own unique behavior and physics.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Tracks: Avus, Brooklands, Donington, Montana, Montlhery, Monza, Pau, Roosevelt raceway, Tripoli. I think quite accurately convey even the smallest details and are made even more better quality than in the Grand Prix Legends.
Posted ImagePosted Image

The racing is the ability to perform pit stops, and fuel consumption and tire wear depends on each individual track and driving style. Interestingly, even the front and rear tires wear differently.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Yes, the game has some flaws, but it can be a wonderful discovery for fans of pre-war Grand Prix racing.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:44

http://forums.autosp...spirit of speed

It was not popular then, and hardly now. :wave:

#3 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 8,255 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 14:34

Reminds me of the car race mission in Mafia (PC game) :lol:

(Amazing game btw)

#4 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 14:50

Worst physics I ever tried, it was so bad it was fun for a very short time before it became boring and deleted.

Great shame because it was excellent eye candy, wonder if some smart people now could break the code and rectify the issues.

#5 Egor

Egor

• 49 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 15:25

I saw an old topic, but there is no longer possible to write.

In my opinion, not all so bad, compared with the Mafia, especially once you get used to the peculiarities of the behavior of vehicles and the specific tracks. All the same game in 1999.

Indeed, you were great, if crack the code and remake all the mistakes and shortcomings.

By the way, soon to appear on the 1937 mod for rfaktor.
Posted Image

Edited by Egor, 05 January 2012 - 15:26.

#6 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,745 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 15:31

Real cool idea. Wasn't very good though, afaik the Indianapolis legends game they made was similarly a great concept ruined by a lack of interest in the game physics. Like with many things in driving games, only Papyrus did it properly. Twice.

Edited by Risil, 05 January 2012 - 15:32.

#7 Raido

Raido

• 72 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 18:57

Problem was that they never got to actually finish this game.

It surely had potential, graphically it was pretty impressive for its time; but time ran out for the devs and the company made them publish it with the physics still in early beta state...
In a nutshell, that's the lamentable but noteworthy story of SOS '37 - one of the best known failures in race game land.

Edited by Raido, 11 January 2012 - 18:57.

#8 osellacz

osellacz

• 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 00:53

Hey there! My first post here,

Just want to inform you people that the 1937GP mod is still being worked on, I'm doing the physics for it, you can visit either our forum http://team-vintage.forumotion.ca/ or F1C thread: http://f1classic.you...rix-racing-1937

Sadly the progress has been very very slow last 2 months because we're waiting for certain guys but it WILL be finished one day (before rf2 at least)

#9 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,615 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:01

Hey there! My first post here,

Just want to inform you people that the 1937GP mod is still being worked on, I'm doing the physics for it, you can visit either our forum http://team-vintage.forumotion.ca/ or F1C thread: http://f1classic.you...rix-racing-1937

Sadly the progress has been very very slow last 2 months because we're waiting for certain guys but it WILL be finished one day (before rf2 at least)

Excellent! Thanks for the update. I'm really looking forward to this. :up:

#10 sandy

sandy

• 1,091 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:11

SoS was my type of game. Quirky to the point of being maddening I was probably one of about 3 people on the planet who played it. A guy in the states fixed up some of the faults but in so doing it lost its appeal. The individual characteristics were done away with and it became just too bland In its original condition you couldn't race it with other cars so what I did was convert each race into timed sprints, one car at a time. Eventually I was able to get the best out of each car and steadily improved. I would like to think that the real cars were similar in characteristics. The guy in the states finished off the prewar German streamliners and they were terrrific at Avus.

There was something intriguing about driving quickly knowing that a minor slip and you would be into a tree or stone wall.

I still have the original box and discs. Here's hoping it is resurrected.

Edited by sandy, 13 March 2012 - 07:12.

#11 The Kanisteri

The Kanisteri

• 11,192 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 14:05

Spirit od Speed 1937 is available for PS3 (ps2 game) with few coins via PSN store.

EDIT: I take that back, PS2 game there is Golden Age of Racing for 4,95€. No clue is it OK game

Edited by The Kanisteri, 13 March 2012 - 19:14.