Photo

David Bowden, Sprite racer - anyone know anything about him?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 22:59

Digby Cooke ran very successfully at Bathurst over the early years of the 500...

One year he didn't finish was 1969. That year he sat the fastest Holden Monaro second on the grid (ahead of the HDT cars and a lot of GTHO Falcons on racing tyres) alongside Pete Geoghegan's GTHO.

His co-driver was David Bowden, who raced a Sprite and Midget or a Sprite that became a Midget.

Digby has been asked by someone where this David Bowden might be found. Does anyone here have a clue?

Their car led that 1969 race briefly, by the way, after Geoghegan had the first blowout of those racing tyres that 'deflated' the Ford effort. But before long he was in trouble with his gearbox and Colin Bond took over the lead. They lasted 96 laps before the gearbox put them out.

Advertisement

#2 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 23:17

Wouldn't David Bowden be the Sunshine Coast, Qld, collector of notable Australian touring cars ?

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 23:36

Apparently Digby is aware of 'the other David Bowden'...

No, not him.

#4 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:19

Apparently Digby is aware of 'the other David Bowden'...

No, not him.

The Sprite guru at work recalled him in a red Sprite,then a white Midget with gold stripe.
Said to be a very capable competitor,although did only one lap at Bathurst partnering Digby Cooke
(a/la Mc Phee/Mulholland).Ran a Service Station at Carlingford on Pennant Hills Road till about 1974...and was English born.
No more info from my source.

#5 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:44

Johnny Yuma'
Regards
So, that means the servo near Carlingford Road, Western side of Pennant Hills Road? I recall the man in a white/gold Midget, but didnt know of any connection with one of my local servos at that time--- where my Rugby mate Bob Small worked the spanners

#6 DCB

DCB

• 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 20:25

Born in Wales, UK.
Raced several sprites, with new MG Midget part of
Ian Hindmarsh Motors Team.
Acquired 350 Monaro from Fairdeal Motors Parramatta.
With D. Cooke ran in 1969 Hardie Ferodo (did 20 laps)
76 Years old.
Living in South Australia.
Still a petrol head.

#7 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 22:11

Born in Wales, UK.
Raced several sprites, with new MG Midget part of
Ian Hindmarsh Motors Team.
Acquired 350 Monaro from Fairdeal Motors Parramatta.
With D. Cooke ran in 1969 Hardie Ferodo (did 20 laps)
76 Years old.
Living in South Australia.
Still a petrol head.

Excellent first post DCB...Welcome :wave:

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 22:52

Yes, David, welcome and I suggest that if you're a 'petrol head' you stay a while and look around...

In the meantime, if you e.mail me (address below, just click on it should do the trick) I will put you in touch with Digby as he wanted to know your contact details.

Fair Deal, by the way, was the Parramatta Holden dealer from whom my father bought the majority of his new cars.

#9 garyfrogeye

garyfrogeye

• 627 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:01

Just putting 2+2 together to probably = 5 but DCB's initials could be David C Bowden, plus he has a racing Spridget on his avatar.
Welcome DCB, Did you evr race against my mate Ray English?

#10 DCB

DCB

• 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 20:30

Just putting 2+2 together to probably = 5 but DCB's initials could be David C Bowden, plus he has a racing Spridget on his avatar.
Welcome DCB, Did you evr race against my mate Ray English?

Not as I can remember, although the name rings a bell.

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,066 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 20:59

Barry Bassingthwaite is a more memorable name, David...

Bob Skelton, Les Carne, Doug Chivas, Lyndon McLeod, Doug Macarthur, Keith Royle, there was a bundle of them with Sprites and Midgets in those times.

I'm away working weekends, David, so I don't have access to Digby's e.mail address, when I get home I'll take care of that.

#12 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 21:26

A whois on David Bowden, Sprite racer.

#13 DCB

DCB

• 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 21:33

Barry Bassingthwaite is a more memorable name, David...

Bob Skelton, Les Carne, Doug Chivas, Lyndon McLeod, Doug Macarthur, Keith Royle, there was a bundle of them with Sprites and Midgets in those times.

I'm away working weekends, David, so I don't have access to Digby's e.mail address, when I get home I'll take care of that.

Yes, these I do know, I had many battles in Sprites then Midgets later on with Barry, Bob, Les and Doug.

Doug Macarthur was a foe for me in his Lotus Elan a red one, always hard to beat. I always thought the Elan was the best looking of
the sports cars of the time.
Then in the "Marque Sports Car " races there was Ross Bond in that dammed Austin Healy to chase.