Photo

The forthcoming Lauda-Hunt movie 'Rush'

• Please log in to reply
1977 replies to this topic

#851 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 23:23

Maybe, it is close to Blackbushe as you say, but I cannot place where on Longcross that shot was taken. I know the place pretty well from rallying. Nearly all the tracks there have a drainage strip at the edges filled with gravel, and there is no sign of that in the picture.

18 years since I rallied there... it just looked a bit familiar in the photo but couldn't say which bit it reminded me of exactly!

Advertisement

#852 PCC

PCC

• 443 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:04

...he apparently bought it in 2005 for £15m from Lord H who had just auctioned the contents.

Holy Hawksmoor! Was Hesketh short of cash, or just bored with the family heritage?

#853 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:01

Holy Hawksmoor! Was Hesketh short of cash, or just bored with the family heritage?

The feature described Lord H as something like "an impoverished British aristocrat.." by which you could mean he's proper skint, or , much more likely, down to his "last" £20 million... compared to the new owner that would still make him a pauper! :lol:

#854 PCC

PCC

• 443 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 14:29

The feature described Lord H as something like "an impoverished British aristocrat.." by which you could mean he's proper skint, or , much more likely, down to his "last" £20 million... compared to the new owner that would still make him a pauper! :lol:

Thanks for mentioning the article, I found it online. Interesting piece, although for me the real treat was the interior shots of the house!

#855 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,366 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 15:17

Thanks for mentioning the article, I found it online. Interesting piece, although for me the real treat was the interior shots of the house!

It's called taxes... :down:

#856 PCC

PCC

• 443 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 16:06

It's called taxes... :down:

:confused:

#857 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 16:09

Interesting movie production photos here.

https://www.facebook...e...1295&type=1

Excellent! Thank you. Also, I found this gallery which is interesting because many of the people from the Historic Formula One championship who are involved in this are named.

#858 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:28

Defenitely at the Nürburgring now! Where a member of the production team is caressing what looks like a Ferrari 312t2 front wing with a sledgehammer.

#859 rallen

rallen

• 544 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:19

I am impressed with what information he is putting out there re- filming. I hope there's loads of extra's on the DVD and they 'issue a making of book or something'

Wonder if there this film is a massive hit if they would consider making a film of any other season, if so which ones? could see 1982 being a good one to cover!

Advertisement

#860 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 14:42

Bridge to Gantry got some real good shots of the filming of "the" accident. SPOILER warning!

#861 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 15:33

Bridge to Gantry got some real good shots of the filming of "the" accident. SPOILER warning!

They put a mat down to protect the track surface - good find Ms. Elwing

#862 blackmme

blackmme

• 390 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 15:47

You know that film shows how brave Niki's rescuers were. Even in a carefully managed and controlled 'stunt' environment that looks very scary and intimidating. In all honesty I'm not sure I would be brave enough to go through those flames.

Regards Mike

#863 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,366 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 17:27

:confused:

The reason Lord March puts on his events is to able to still afford his digs, its upkeep and to pay the related taxes.

#864 Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

• 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 18:45

Maybe I'm being picky, but it is wrong to show Fittipaldi taking Lauda out of the car (although I know he subsequently assisted him on the floor). The "brave 4" are, and have always been, recognized as Edwards, Ertl, Lunger and Merzario.

In any case, it's still impressive, even as a recreation of the actual events. I looked for a account and found this from Merzario:

“I was going at 260kph when I saw the yellow flags at Bergwerk,” he said. “I braked. Then I saw Niki’s Ferrari on the left-hand side of the track, two metres away from the safety barrier. I leapt out of my Williams, determined to help. I was hardly out of the car before I could hear Niki screaming loudly. The flames were huge. I tried to dive into the fire, but the flames took my breath away. Then I noticed the flames were coming from the underside of the Ferrari and joining up over the cockpit. Edwards was trying, like I was, to get close to Lauda, but couldn’t. I grabbed a fire extinguisher from a steward. Niki’s screams were terrible. Then Ertl took over with the extinguisher. He made a gap in the flames with the foam and Edwards and I dived in. It was awful. We couldn’t pull Niki out of the fire because we couldn’t undo his seatbelt. But we managed in the end. I think Niki passed out for a moment, and as his body relaxed I could release his belt buckle. Eventually we were able to get him out, and laid him down in the grass . . . ”

Curious fact - In the movie, the driver of the orange Porsche 911 is Guy Edwards' son, Sean Edwards. He published these pictures on tweeter, notice the text on the "Hesketh" picture.

https://twitter.com/#!/SeanEdwardsR/sta...1/photo/1/large

https://twitter.com/#!/SeanEdwardsR/sta...8/photo/1/large

#865 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:17

notice the text on the "Hesketh" picture.

Opportunity - rent car - next move :clap:

#866 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,145 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:36

Maybe I'm being picky, but it is wrong to show Fittipaldi taking Lauda out of the car (although I know he subsequently assisted him on the floor). The "brave 4" are, and have always been, recognized as Edwards, Ertl, Lunger and Merzario.

I agree, what was Emerson doing there during the rescue ? Also where were the other cars involved or will they be CGI'd on later

#867 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 4,992 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:45

You might want to educate yourself on cutting, editing and filming sequence.

#868 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,283 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:52

You know that film shows how brave Niki's rescuers were. Even in a carefully managed and controlled 'stunt' environment that looks very scary and intimidating. In all honesty I'm not sure I would be brave enough to go through those flames.

Regards Mike

Looks real enough to me :eek:

Did you see the guy that took it claims he was just out walking his dog....

PAR

#869 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 4,992 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 19:59

My thought on that was "viral ad..."

I may be wrong, of course.

#870 Hun200kmh

Hun200kmh

• 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:00

PAR

Good dog it was, didn't bark at the flames and didn't ruin the movie production ...

#871 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:52

PAR

You could say that Howard's whole twitter campaign is a viral ad, and a very effective one of that. There is a lot of buzz surrounding this movie. It seems the unusual tactic of pretty much inviting the whole world to come and take pictures is working brilliantly.

As for accuracy, I really don't know. I see a man wearing Merzario's white helmet dive into the fire on the right. I read he managed to unlock the safety harness, but not that he dragged Lauda's dead weight out of the fire single handedly. Arturo Merzario is not a big man and it seems likely he got some help. "Eventually we were able to get him out, and laid him down in the grass . . ." Would confirm that. All these men showed super human bravery, and it was a team effort.

Also, those stunt man. I'm sure the safety measures are second to none, but that fire is real. I wouldn't want to be the guy in the fake Ferrari...

#872 PCC

PCC

• 443 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 21:06

The reason Lord March puts on his events is to able to still afford his digs, its upkeep and to pay the related taxes.

Oh, okay. Sort of. Or put it this way: if the poor, overtaxed Lords want to trade financial situations with me, I'll take them up on the offer...

#873 PCC

PCC

• 443 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 21:12

Good dog it was, didn't bark at the flames and didn't ruin the movie production ...

Wouldn't have mattered, none of the final audio will be 'live'.

As for accuracy, I really don't know.

Impossible to judge. They were seemingly just shooting an establishing shot here, and it's going to read quite differently once it's combined with the many other shots that will make up the scene.

Also, those stunt man. I'm sure the safety measures are second to none, but that fire is real. I wouldn't want to be the guy in the fake Ferrari...

You can say that again! That guy in the Ferrari had nerves of steel.

#874 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 489 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:41

I agree, what was Emerson doing there during the rescue ? Also where were the other cars involved or will they be CGI'd on later

It's possible that you were watching the scene intended for the Brazilian release of the film. Each contry will have a representative driver - e.g. Argentine - Reutemann, Sweden - Peterson, etc., helping to rescue Lauda from the flames (apart from Iraqi/Iranian/Afghanistan drivers, who will heartlessly drive past). The UK release will feature Hunt stopping to rescue his deadly rival from the flames, then leaping back into his McLaren to narrrowly grasp victory. The US release will feature Mario Andretti (played by Jon Bon Jovi) rescuing Lauda; he then narrowly loses the race when his Kurtis Kraft-Offenhauser swerves to avoid a puppy on the track (which is run over by Hunt) (but miraculously survives).

#875 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 12,490 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:32

My thought on that was "viral ad..."

I may be wrong, of course.

You are not wrong jcb.
Jp

#876 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 4,992 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:49

Thank you.

Can I ask you to go to the football thread and post it there too.

#877 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:52

Yes, you'd have to be a dummy to do that....................................

#878 jcbc3

jcbc3

• 4,992 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:55

with a loose head...

#879 Gwynston

Gwynston

• 77 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:28

If you check out his other YouTube videos, he's posted many from the Nurburgring - sports cars, road car tests, secret car testing etc. So it's quite possible he lives nearby and is often hanging around there with his camera.

Advertisement

#880 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,101 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:45

I owe Elwing an apology. I just watched that again, and as the fire is set, you can see the "drivers" hand move, not once, but a couple of times! I do hope he was paid enough for that!

#881 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:20

You could say that Howard's whole twitter campaign is a viral ad, and a very effective one of that. There is a lot of buzz surrounding this movie. It seems the unusual tactic of pretty much inviting the whole world to come and take pictures is working brilliantly.

It's totally the opposite of what happened, for example, on Spielberg's recent WAR HORSE which was partly filmed in the village of Castle Combe (today's most tenuous TNF connection...?) . Secrecy was positively draconian for that one.
The Bristol based newspapers ran frequent stories about the filming and how residents were getting very pi##ed off at being prevented from getting to their own homes, having to park their cars miles away and were literally being frisked for cameras by security guards if they got within sight of the filming, evenb if it was outside their own kitchen wondow!
No interesting sneak-peaks seemed to appear of that movie at the time, certainly none in the newspapers of any note.
Makes you wonder why really, as any advance publicity of this kind surely helps raise awareness of the movie?

I think Ron Howards approach is the right one - just look how many of us are hooked on this thread for a start!

#882 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,145 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:39

It's possible that you were watching the scene intended for the Brazilian release of the film. Each contry will have a representative driver - e.g. Argentine - Reutemann, Sweden - Peterson, etc., helping to rescue Lauda from the flames (apart from Iraqi/Iranian/Afghanistan drivers, who will heartlessly drive past). The UK release will feature Hunt stopping to rescue his deadly rival from the flames, then leaping back into his McLaren to narrrowly grasp victory. The US release will feature Mario Andretti (played by Jon Bon Jovi) rescuing Lauda; he then narrowly loses the race when his Kurtis Kraft-Offenhauser swerves to avoid a puppy on the track (which is run over by Hunt) (but miraculously survives).

:rotfl: Very good and entirely possible !!

#883 roger.daltrey

roger.daltrey

• 51 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:28

Uh-Oh - I wonder if they got the Fittipaldi thing wrong ?

I read a tweet from Max Papis (Emmo's son-in-law) to Ron Howard a couple of months ago saying 'You should talk to EP, he pulled Niki out of the flames'

Or words to that effect, can't remember whether it was Max direct or his wife TBH

BUT having a little knowledge about the original event (as most of us on here of a certain age do) I was a little incensed that Ron was being guided in the wrong direction - but did nothing about it (!!)

Watched the 'tree-video' of the 'Ring re-creation yesterday and now they appear to have it all wrong again - don't they ?

Emmo was involved, but not one of the 4 actually credited with saving him ?

Unless I've got it all wrong...

#884 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:49

Eeerily the 'tree footage' is from a similar angle to the famous 8mm film and initially you watch and get the appropriate deja vu feeling....then Emmo's distinctive helmet appears and rather spoils the effect!

#885 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:25

They were seemingly just shooting an establishing shot here, and it's going to read quite differently once it's combined with the many other shots that will make up the scene.

If you look at Sean Edwards photos, you can see the "damaged" Ertl, Lunger & Mass cars arranged.

#886 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:24

It's totally the opposite of what happened, for example, on Spielberg's recent WAR HORSE which was partly filmed in the village of Castle Combe (today's most tenuous TNF connection...?) . Secrecy was positively draconian for that one.
The Bristol based newspapers ran frequent stories about the filming and how residents were getting very pi##ed off at being prevented from getting to their own homes, having to park their cars miles away and were literally being frisked for cameras by security guards if they got within sight of the filming, even if it was outside their own kitchen window!
No interesting sneak-peaks seemed to appear of that movie at the time, certainly none in the newspapers of any note.
Makes you wonder why really, as any advance publicity of this kind surely helps raise awareness of the movie?

I think Ron Howards approach is the right one - just look how many of us are hooked on this thread for a start!

Yes, people who have visited the set in Blackbushe and Chrystal Palace have reported friendly treatment by the security people, and some were allowed to sit on the top rows of the grandstand to watch proceedings. Local teens were allowed on set to get job experience, and even this staunch opponent seems to have been killed by kindness. It is a wise approach, and it gives this movie a positive buzz. More Hollywood productions should work this way. So much paranoia about spoilers- and here is proof that familiarity only makes the heart grow fonder.

#887 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,533 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:43

Some people here have said that they have no interest in seeing the film. As long as we don't find out that Lauda's crash was the result of Niki swerving to avoid a UFO that landed on the track I'll be standing in line to buy tickets. :cool:

#888 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,113 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 15:30

Eeerily the 'tree footage' is from a similar angle to the famous 8mm film and initially you watch and get the appropriate deja vu feeling....then Emmo's distinctive helmet appears and rather spoils the effect!

Keep in mind Emerson was at the scene of the accident, but the records say he wasn't involved in pulling Niki physically out of the car as we see in the "Rush" re-creation of the accident.

#889 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:08

Keep in mind Emerson was at the scene of the accident, but the records say he wasn't involved in pulling Niki physically out of the car as we see in the "Rush" re-creation of the accident.

True but my point being you didn't see Emmo' on the original footage so that deja vu feeling vanishes.

#890 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:06

I got and read Lauda's 1977 book, "For the Record". It's easy to forget what an extreme character he was at that time, obsessive to the point of compulsive, even. He never seems to question why he does what he does, and denies there is any heroism involved. It is like he gave himself no choice.
Which makes the events at Fuji all the more interesting. I wonder how the screenwriter Peter Morgan is going to put this across.

What also strikes me in this book that he repeatedly praises James Hunt, and claims he is the only colleague he knows fairly well off-track. So much for the rivalry.
Interesting book if you can get it, though not very well translated.

#891 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:07

For the Record - Interesting book if you can get it, though not very well translated.

Interesting? The English translation by Diana Mosley

#892 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,533 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 13:17

What also strikes me in this book that he repeatedly praises James Hunt, and claims he is the only colleague he knows fairly well off-track. So much for the rivalry.

Rivals are not necessarily enemies.

#893 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 20:05

Well, as for the translation, I compare this book to "To Hell and Back" and I find the latter book a much more balanced and pleasant read. I think at least some of this has to do with translation (I used to own a Dutch translation of this book, and I found this a more fluent read), which but it also seems that by 1986 Lauda had developed a slightly more relaxed outlook on life and a bit of a funny bone, and comes across as a more charming bloke.
But the 1977 book is amazing because it offers a look into a truly intense and singular mind.
Turner Classic Movies pitches Rush as "The story of Formula One race car driver Niki Lauda and his bitter rivalry with driver James Hunt, which resulted in an accident that cost Lauda his right ear and the loss of the World Driver's Championship title to Hunt in 1976.". And that is just annoying BS.

#894 rallen

rallen

• 544 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 20:43

I know James and Niki were actually good mates - I don't think Niki ever disparaged James or was unsporting to him at any point was he?

I also know they used to share a flat together in London - does anyone have the address of where this was?

#895 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:50

Looking back on '76 the truly refreshing thing was that James and Niki didn't have a 'bitter' rivallery, quite the opposite, as you say. There was great mutual admiration and genuine friendship. Only the teams were at loggerheads.
How times have changed :well:

But then, open feuds didn't really come into F1 very much until Piquet and Jones started to lock horns in 1980, did they?
Sadly from then on it's either been open season or simply a case of the popular press talking it all up...

#896 byrkus

byrkus

• 766 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:55

I also know they used to share a flat together in London - does anyone have the address of where this was?

That is in itself worth a Blue plaque. :D

#897 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 257 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 23:21

which 1976 race meeting was it that Niki and James had adjoining hotel rooms, and Niki woke James up by striding into his bedroom, clad in his race suit and helmet, to announce "today I win ze world championship" before turning and marching back out?

#898 Radoye

Radoye

• 781 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:30

which 1976 race meeting was it that Niki and James had adjoining hotel rooms, and Niki woke James up by striding into his bedroom, clad in his race suit and helmet, to announce "today I win ze world championship" before turning and marching back out?

Fuji.

#899 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,382 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:16

Fuji.

Yet... it didn't happen.

There must be a lesson in there somewhere. :)

Advertisement

#900 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:56

Yet... it didn't happen. There must be a lesson in there somewhere. :)

A myth - the sort of thing that happens in films :rolleyes: