The forthcoming Lauda-Hunt movie 'Rush'

• Please log in to reply
1977 replies to this topic

#901 Gwynston

Gwynston

• 77 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:57

A myth - the sort of thing that happens in films :rolleyes:

So it will almost definitely be in "Rush" then...;)

Advertisement

#902 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:59

A myth - the sort of thing that happens in films :rolleyes:

Or in certain books ........ Must admit on reading Hanks post I immediately thought Watkins Glen as described by Ronnie Mutch :D

#903 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,048 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:05

Yet... it didn't happen.

There must be a lesson in there somewhere. :)

Ah! But like the Loch Ness monster can we be sure it didn't happen?

According to Gerald Donaldson's generally well-received biography, James told him the story saying it was at Watkins Glen.

#904 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,177 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:54

According to Gerald Donaldson's generally well-received biography, James told him the story saying it was at Watkins Glen.

How embarrassing, my mixing up Messrs Donaldson and Mutch :blush:

#905 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 271 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 22:56

Ah! But like the Loch Ness monster can we be sure it didn't happen?

that was the thing - I knew it wasn't in "To Hell And Back", but knew I'd read it in a bio somewhere...

Others have pointed out that Lauda regarded James as an "honest-to-God pal", having spent a lot of time in his company. 'twill be disappointing if "Rush" beats their relationship into something it may not have been - for mine, the truth is compelling enough to make great viewing, if done properly.

#906 Gwynston

Gwynston

• 77 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:52

Others have pointed out that Lauda regarded James as an "honest-to-God pal", having spent a lot of time in his company. 'twill be disappointing if "Rush" beats their relationship into something it may not have been - for mine, the truth is compelling enough to make great viewing, if done properly.

Indeed, portraying them as bitter enemies would not only be untrue, but also not actually as interesting as the truth. Just think of the dramatic scope to be tapped in to - two great pals who have raced against each other for years who end up directly competing for the title in one of the most dramatic seasons in history, just as the sport is getting wider worldwide recognition. They remain pals and retain mutual respect of each other despite the pressure and tension of the battle, and despite their respective teams being the bitter rivals who repeatedly try to backstab each other to gain an unfair advantage.

#907 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:00

the truth is compelling enough to make great viewing, if done properly.

You're not wrong there.

It didn't stop James Cameron seriously over-egging TITANIC though....

#908 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 21:06

And Niki is in hospital. I do wonder how the real person feels about that...As he seems quite private. It must be an odd experience, to say the least.

#909 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 347 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:49

This must be part of the attention to detail:

https://twitter.com/#!/RealRonHoward/me....com%2FwZaJFbLu

Guess they'll be busy in post-production, unless this is period correct?

#910 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 16:48

The cake looks good :cool:

#911 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 17:34

Indeed, portraying them as bitter enemies would not only be untrue, but also not actually as interesting as the truth. Just think of the dramatic scope to be tapped in to - two great pals who have raced against each other for years who end up directly competing for the title in one of the most dramatic seasons in history, just as the sport is getting wider worldwide recognition. They remain pals and retain mutual respect of each other despite the pressure and tension of the battle, and despite their respective teams being the bitter rivals who repeatedly try to backstab each other to gain an unfair advantage.

Hollywood absolutely believes in conflict, tension, etc. or it won't sell to the masses. :down:

#912 CSquared

CSquared

• 621 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 18:54

What? The sign? Oslo?

Hollywood absolutely believes in conflict, tension, etc. or it won't sell to the masses. :down:

So we're back to making judgments on a script that none of us have read?

#913 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 20:54

What? The sign? Oslo?

So we're back to making judgments on a script that none of us have read?

What? I never said that? THEY are inclined to do that. Don't add or make up things guess upon what YOU think I am thinking. :rolleyes:

Or are referring to Oslo? :confused:

I've had several meetings in Hollywood about writing projects with producers and their first words are ALWAYS "where's the conflict?"

Edited by David M. Kane, 19 April 2012 - 20:57.

#914 CSquared

CSquared

• 621 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 21:08

What? I never said that? THEY are inclined to do that. Don't add or make up things guess upon what YOU think I am thinking. :rolleyes:

Or are referring to Oslo? :confused:

I've had several meetings in Hollywood about writing projects with producers and their first words are ALWAYS "where's the conflict?"

Ok, sorry. That wasn't really directed at you. It's just that this thread has had a lot of "ways that this movie may or may not end up sucking" instead of actual info about it. I'm certainly not the one to defend Hollywood or have high expectations of anything they do, but then again isn't conflict central to just about any piece of drama, even the most highbrow?

The remark about Oslo was a dumb joke. I was just asking what in that picture was anachronistic.

#915 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 347 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 21:26

The remark about Oslo was a dumb joke. I was just asking what in that picture was anachronistic.

Well the bit that really caught my eye was the spelling of the word "Departures"...

Personally I can't wait for this film. :up:

#916 mfd

mfd

• 2,883 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 21:44

Well the bit that really caught my eye was the spelling of the word "Departures"...

Perhaps it should be Wien Abfahrten?

#917 CSquared

CSquared

• 621 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 21:48

Personally I can't wait for this film. :up:

Ha! I didn't notice that. :p Looks like it's supposed to be the Wien airport.

Interesting updates today about tense scenes in the Mannheim hospital, but I thought Lauda went to Ludwigshafen? Oh no, now I'm getting caught up in picking out the historical inaccuracies. I'm sure they know what hospital he was in, maybe Mannheim just films better.

#918 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 23:51

Ok, sorry. That wasn't really directed at you. It's just that this thread has had a lot of "ways that this movie may or may not end up sucking" instead of actual info about it. I'm certainly not the one to defend Hollywood or have high expectations of anything they do, but then again isn't conflict central to just about any piece of drama, even the most highbrow?

No problem; let's hope for the best. :up:

#919 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,481 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 00:48

... Personally I can't wait for this film. :up:

Yes, my thoughts exactly. I certainly don't want to get so wrapped up in conjecture that I don't enjoy it when otherwise I might have.

As a kid growing up with Ron Howard for some 50 years almost, I surely would have never foreseen an "Opie Directs Niki" movie... so I'm expecting an enjoyable viewing. :)

Edited by E1pix, 20 April 2012 - 00:49.

Advertisement

#920 charles r

charles r

• 5,587 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 15:28

:up: :up: :up:

#921 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,048 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 23:34

I will definitely see the film - and simply sit back and enjoy it.

Let's face it - spotting the errors is part of the fun for a TNF anorak, isn't it!

#922 dave34m

dave34m

• 475 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:19

Definitely, it will elevate your opinion of all other motorsport biographies you have ever read.

Im reading Shunt at the moment and am not impessed at all. So many errors it seems and its all over the place. Glad I got it from the library rather than paying good money for it.

Edited by dave34m, 21 April 2012 - 06:19.

#923 Wander

Wander

• 2,279 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 16:00

I will definitely see the film - and simply sit back and enjoy it.

Let's face it - spotting the errors is part of the fun for a TNF anorak, isn't it!

I'm going with this attitude. :up:

#924 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 21:33

I'm going with this attitude. :up:

Me three!

#925 charles r

charles r

• 5,587 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:27

Me three!

Ditto!

#926 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:54

Given 24 pages of contributions here I doubt there will be many who have posted who will not be seeing the film :up:

#927 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,037 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:03

Interesting? The English translation by Diana Mosley

Yes, it's odd isn't it? It is the DM and she also translated some Goethe. In a previous thread we discussed whether, for Lauda's book, she received some help with the more technical motor sport elements. Who could have assisted, I wonder?

#928 maxim64

maxim64

• 10 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:08

Will Pierfrancesco Favino perform Clay Regazzoni?

Posted Image

#929 BRG

BRG

• 11,562 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:43

Given 24 pages of contributions here I doubt there will be many who have posted who will not be seeing the film :up:

I am not sure that I will bother. Not because of any concerns about inaccuracies, anachronisms etc, but because I recall the events perfectly well and don't need to see a dramatised reconstruction of them. A proper documentary using period footage, and current and period interviews with the participants, might be a different matter.

#930 NJB13

NJB13

• 157 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 16:15

I'm definitely planning on giving it a watch. For me, whatever historical technical inaccuracies they make, "if" I spot them won't bother me as I will just be able to correct them in my own mind anyway. And, as much as I will enjoy seeing realistic footage, I'm more looking forward to how they handle the underlying controversies of the year. For me Jarama and Enzo's reactions including A1 are more interesting than weather and what played out in Japan. And of course the P34, wonder how that will come up.

#931 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 18:08

Posted Image

It certainly looks like it. Epic 'stache! Epic car!

#932 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,048 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 20:42

Posted Image

Ah! But will he have the same effect on Belgian landladies and their daughters?  ;)

#933 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:54

Back filming 'mock' racing action in the UK next week I hear, at a current F3/GT/BTCC circuit, which will double for several different GP venues.

#934 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 17:59

Back filming 'mock' racing action in the UK next week I hear, at a current F3/GT/BTCC circuit, which will double for several different GP venues.

can you tell us which circuit this is? Thank you

#935 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,679 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:04

An interesting article by Ed Foster in the latest (June!) Motor Sport by Ed Foster about Mirage Engineering's work to build various replicas for the film. Also information about the other companies working on replicas.

#936 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:24

I'm sure some here can guess..but no point turning up, there will be strict security, no spectators allowed.

#937 mfd

mfd

• 2,883 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:36

I'm sure some here can guess..but no point turning up, there will be strict security, no spectators allowed.

Yes & it would be a fair distance for Ms Elwing to travel :blush:

#938 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:36

http://twitter.com/#!/RealRonHoward/st...1748736/photo/1

" Full race action " according to Mr Howard

Did you not leave a lens cap behind last time you were there Andy and need to collect it ? :)

PAR

#939 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 18:43

Yes & it would be a fair distance for Ms Elwing to travel :blush:

As far as this subject is concerned, I do virtual travel only. I'm the world's most harmless stalker! :lol:

Advertisement

#940 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:35

https://twitter.com/#!/RealRonHoward/me....com%2FqLejo5v0

Does not seem to be a secret.

Edited by Nordic, 26 April 2012 - 06:36.

#941 eldougo

eldougo

• 6,242 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:36

The Australian actor Chris Hemsworth will be our only chance of claiming another World Driver Champion ,even if he playing a Pom! :rolleyes:

And the guy they have in the role of Niki Lauda sure looks like him in some shots

#942 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 16:04

https://twitter.com/#!/RealRonHoward/me....com%2FqLejo5v0

Does not seem to be a secret.

Not any more..they are also filming 'Ring style scenes at another UK circuit soon..that looks like a mini version of it!

#943 DampMongoose

DampMongoose

• 1,267 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 21:27

Not any more..they are also filming 'Ring style scenes at another UK circuit soon..that looks like a mini version of it!

Cadwell?

#944 mfd

mfd

• 2,883 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 22:12

Cadwell?

Palmer :D

#945 Macca

Macca

• 3,333 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 13:24

There's an article about the building of the replica BRMs etc in the new Motor Sport.

(pity there isn't a "then and now" about Lola T70s fitted with Ferrari 512S bodies during 'Le Mans' or how Jim Russell built the 'kiddie-cars' for 'Grand Prix'...  ;) )

Paul M

#946 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 19:32

Jalopnik has posted another article about this movie, complaining about possible factual inaccuracies.

#947 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,177 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 19:48

Jalopnik has posted another article about this movie, complaining about possible factual inaccuracies.

The inaccuracies concerning Crystal Palace ( ie Lauda never raced there in F3 only F2 ) were outlined in this thread from posts 727 - 746.

#948 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 20:02

Yet again. It's a feature film for general public, not a documentary for us. It might be labelled a docudrama so they can get around the tobacco advertising? The general public won't give a toss if lauda raced at the palace or not, even in a bt28.

#949 Obster

Obster

• 93 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 21:29

Despite being an F1 fan since the 1960's, I was at University during this period and, ummm...otherwise distracted.
So I am looking greatly forward to seeing this movie.
From Ron Howard's Twitter posts-amazing, aren't they?-It looks like there will be interesting drama in addition to the racing stuff. He does this very well. His film Cinderella Man is a great example.

#950 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,227 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 21:31

(pity there isn't a "then and now" about Lola T70s fitted with Ferrari 512S bodies during 'Le Mans' or how Jim Russell built the 'kiddie-cars' for 'Grand Prix'...  ;) )

Does anyone have current contact info for Jim Russell? I'm sure he'd be interested in what's going on at Snetterton.

Vince H.