Photo

The forthcoming Lauda-Hunt movie 'Rush'

• Please log in to reply
1977 replies to this topic

#51 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 17:25

I heard they are not even going to use the real James Hunt - just some actor who likes like him! Obviously won't be any good then...

Not to a TNFer! I gather the only available PC4 would have required shipping from the US. It is difficult to imagine it being any good Adam, but we live in hope.

Advertisement

#52 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 17:46

I gather the only available PC4 would have required shipping from the US.

Assuming it still belongs to the Penske organisation, that might just be something that Roger Penske would be prepared to do.

#53 adamcooperf1

adamcooperf1

• 46 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 18:11

Just thought I would point out to some of the cynics that, of the crew we know about so far, Rush has:

Oscar Winning Director + Producer
Oscar Winning Cinematographer
Oscar Winning Editor
Oscar Winning Composer
2x Oscar Nominated Screenwriter

That's not a bad start!

If you've seen Apollo 13 you might appreciate the lengths Ron Howard has gone to to achieve authenticity - NASA offered him Mission Control but he preferred to build his own to get the right camera angles, and experts couldn't tell the difference. Alas Brands, Fuji et al have changed somewhat in 36 years and that's the biggest challenge he faces.

I am sure some here will take it personally if they see a Surtees TS19 in the background with a 1977 shape rear endplate or whatever, but these guys are bothering to make a movie that will bring our passion - motor racing history - to the masses. I think we should give them a chance...

#54 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 19:43

I am sure some here will take it personally if they see a Surtees TS19 in the background with a 1977 shape rear endplate or whatever, but these guys are bothering to make a movie that will bring our passion - motor racing history - to the masses. I think we should give them a chance...

I am looking forward to viewing the end result.......if it is half as good as Apollo 13 we are in for a treat.

Talking of details I wonder if anyone has picked up on the " Sex.....the breakfast of Champions " badge that James had on his race suit? :)

PAR

#55 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 20:46

If you've seen Apollo 13 you might appreciate the lengths Ron Howard has gone to to achieve authenticity

these guys are bothering to make a movie that will bring our passion - motor racing history - to the masses. I think we should give them a chance...

Yes Adam, they should and will get their chance but:

a)The problem is very few punters knew what really played out at NASA, so we couldn't really argue with the authenticity. That will not be so easy to achieve with "Rush".

b) A great motor racing based film has never been made to date, so the odds are stacked against it. (Personally I love Grand Prix & Le Mans, but neither are great films & Senna doesn't count).

However if these chaps can't do it, I doubt if anyone can so let's hope for the best. :up:

Edited by Giraffe, 30 January 2012 - 20:47.

#56 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,346 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 22:25

Ahem - the Blackbushe planning permission process seems to have encountered a very British obstacle - a local conservation group having apparently objected on the grounds that Hartford Bridge Flats (upon which the aerodrome is sited) is a crucial breeding ground for the endangered Dartford Warbler.

The Titfield Thunderbolt lives...

DCN

#57 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,271 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 23:06

Thank You...
Were it to unearth the compelling history Formula One has to people just on the cusp of discovery....
We anoraks should STFU and let it happen.

Jp

#58 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 23:48

Nigel Roebuck told me at the NEC last week that Niki Lauda is quite involved in the making of this film.

I think we need to grant these guys just a little bit of artistic license.

Fortunately when they built the Circuit of the Americas in Austin they didn't have to relocate endangered Salamanders which is exactly what they had to do when they built the Barton Creek Mall about 15 or 20 years ago.

#59 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:54

Thank You...
Were it to unearth the compelling history Formula One has to people just on the cusp of discovery....
We anoraks should STFU and let it happen.

Jp

Well you'll hardly do that just by telling the story of the 1976 season. IMHO no sport has ever translated successfully to the big screen. It's theatre dramatising theatre.

"We anoraks" are here to pass comment and overall we've hardly been discouraging, a tad sceptical perhaps..... :smoking:

Advertisement

#60 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:30

At the Autosports Show I was informed that the opening scene is planned to have James performing bedroom aerobics with a young lady.........sounds realistic to me :rotfl:

PAR

#61 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:44

At the Autosports Show I was informed that the opening scene is planned to have James performing bedroom aerobics with a young lady.........sounds realistic to me :rotfl:

PAR

It would have been more realistic to set that scene in the lavatory of a 747. :smoking:

#62 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:01

Ahem - the Blackbushe planning permission process seems to have encountered a very British obstacle - a local conservation group having apparently objected on the grounds that Hartford Bridge Flats (upon which the aerodrome is sited) is a crucial breeding ground for the endangered Dartford Warbler.

DCN

And can one one take it that the Dartford Warbler is thus more content, and prone to reproduce, with the soothing background sound of aircraft than that of Cosworth DFVs?
If so it's clearly a philistine and I'm not surprised it's endangered, precious little sod!

#63 BRG

BRG

• 11,581 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:30

And can one one take it that the Dartford Warbler is thus more content, and prone to reproduce, with the soothing background sound of aircraft than that of Cosworth DFVs?
If so it's clearly a philistine and I'm not surprised it's endangered, precious little sod!

It's also remarkably tolerant of massive amounts of used cars being auctioned off daily next door at BCA, not to mention kart racing nearby, and even the occasional rally in the woods across the road. Perhaps it should move back to Dartford. It is clearly dyslexic and has mistaken Hartford for Dartford.

But seriously, this is the standard knee jerk conservationist reaction, and will probably be treated accordingly by the planners who have heard it all before.

#64 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,271 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:58

. IMHO no sport has ever translated successfully to the big screen. It's theatre dramatising theatre.

I do indeed see what you mean Giraffe but how else are we going to get new ones hooked?
Where is our "growth"coming from?
Television?..No
Bernie's ticket prices? Double No.

I think you have to take into account the effect a film can have on its audience.

In 1966 my Father came home from work one evening, he worked for the a guy named Saul Bass doing what was then called "opticals"and are now called "special effects", he asked me if I wanted to attend a Hollywood Premiere?

"OK DAD"...I said, as I had yet to work out WHY I was invited?.
Off we went to the Cinerama Dome on Sunset Blvd.
As we arrived he opened an envelope and out came the large yellow tickets
Grand Prix was what it said on them...

I was clueless upon entry.
Enraptured upon exit.

The impact that film had was to lead me into my life long passion.
Looking back it WAS fluff for the most part, but did that matter?..NO.
It's the impression, those mock up cars in 70mm screaming around the Sopraelevata had, that sent me into euphoria.

I hope there are many uninitiated out there who, going along to this film and having no idea what's about to hit them, succumb to the same seduction I did.

Jp

#65 uffen

uffen

• 897 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 16:53

Well said, jonpollak.

#66 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,174 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 17:02

Succinct as ever JP!!

#67 charles r

charles r

• 5,591 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 17:08

Just thought I would point out to some of the cynics that, of the crew we know about so far, Rush has:

Oscar Winning Director + Producer
Oscar Winning Cinematographer
Oscar Winning Editor
Oscar Winning Composer
2x Oscar Nominated Screenwriter

That's not a bad start!

If you've seen Apollo 13 you might appreciate the lengths Ron Howard has gone to to achieve authenticity - NASA offered him Mission Control but he preferred to build his own to get the right camera angles, and experts couldn't tell the difference. Alas Brands, Fuji et al have changed somewhat in 36 years and that's the biggest challenge he faces.

:up: :up: Exactly!

#68 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 17:12

Enraptured upon exit.

Jp

Jon, I was very much the same as you, but you must remember:

a) When we watched "Grand Prix" it was pretty much current and thus relevant to kids, not a 36 year old biopic. Would a film about pre-war motor racing have captured our imagination in the same way?

b) There was far less about to divert kids at the time, and we were a relatively easy snare. The world has moved on, and so have kids.

#69 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,174 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 17:25

It might educate today's "uoth", that drivers were once characters and not highly paid robots, with a charisma by-pass and only able to do an interview if wearing a three layer suit of Nomex, "for sure" !

#70 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 17:54

DCN

I wonder if the special effects on this new film will be to a realistic standard

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#71 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,534 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 18:34

When we watched "Grand Prix" it was pretty much current and thus relevant to kids, not a 36 year old biopic.

Maybe so, but these two films made a big impression on me as a 14 year old.

#72 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,271 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 19:23

Jon, I was very much the same as you, but you must remember:

a) When we watched "Grand Prix" it was pretty much current and thus relevant to kids, not a 36 year old biopic. Would a film about pre-war motor racing have captured our imagination in the same way?

b) There was far less about to divert kids at the time, and we were a relatively easy snare. The world has moved on, and so have kids.

Having grown up in Los Angeles there were indeed a myriad of diversions to busy ones self with. At the time I was so obsessed with the Beatles anyway that car racing could have been akin to existential theology as far as I was concerned. I was always inquisitive yet skeptical so perhaps not the model test case.

Nevertheless...

a) Being a child of parents who both were involved in 'the war' and constantly being told of the horrors the Nazi's inflicted I bet I would have.
Sometime around 1964/65 I went along to my fathers office with him, which at the time was at Universal, on one of those 'bring your kids to work' days we had in America.
My father had spent the last few years working on Hitchcock films and was just about to get real busy on a project called "Grand Prix".
The children in attendance sat together watching these 'old people' scurry around until Peggy Robertson, Hitch's personal assistant, grabbed four of us kids and frogmarched us into a screening room, if for no other reason than to keep us under wraps when the 'Master of Suspense' was due to arrive, and promptly shut the lights off....Oh how spooky we thought.

Peggy had a different kind of spooky for us to imbibe.
We then experienced what was one of the greatest cinematic experiences I have ever witnessed.

A documentary of the 1936 Berlin games called Olympia.

To say I was captivated by Leni Riefenstahl's propaganda would be an bit of an understatement.
This epic fired in me a life long obsession with sporting achievement and human prowess in general.
I still to this day wonder as to who's idea showing this epic to the children really was as the film sat ready to roll within seconds of us being seated.

It wasn't until a week or so later that Dad asked what we saw in the screening room.
I told him it was an old movie about fitness. He looked puzzled yet the issue was not discussed again until shortly before I began a career of my own.

Isn't it always the way that when your life is about to change the emotions you feel going in to the event are in no way as potent as what they are coming out.....And to think of the pablum that manipulates kids today…
Ha..

Which brings me to ....

b) Yoof,having 'moved on' as you say, are desperately looking for something to give credence to, something they can 'take to the bank'. None of the kids I interact with are ever moved in ways we were and have been so desensitised by this unrelenting media onslaught that only stupid mutilation videos or bitch and moan reality shows draw a spark of association.

I would like to believe the characters Ron will be attempting to unfurl to the world would be ravenously eaten up whole by this generation.
But then we all seem to harbour under our own preconceptions....and hopes.

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 28 December 2012 - 13:39.

#73 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 22:03

It would have been more realistic to set that scene in the lavatory of a 747. :smoking:

Talking of 747's and James, I wonder if the 1985 Going on the Boeing incident featuring the ( alleged ) acid tab, free beer and Esther Rantzen will feature ( Page 350 of the paperback by Gerry Donaldson )- possibly not :rotfl:

#74 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 23:34

I do indeed see what you mean Giraffe but how else are we going to get new ones hooked?
Where is our "growth"coming from?
Television?..No
Bernie's ticket prices? Double No.

I think you have to take into account the effect a film can have on its audience.

In 1966 my Father came home from work one evening, he worked for the a guy named Saul Bass doing what was then called "opticals"and are now called "special effects", he asked me if I wanted to attend a Hollywood Premiere?

"OK DAD"...I said, as I had yet to work out WHY I was invited?.
Off we went to the Cinerama Dome on Sunset Blvd.
As we arrived he opened an envelope and out came the large yellow tickets
Grand Prix was what it said on them...

Enraptured upon exit.

The impact that film had was to lead me into my life long passion.
Looking back it WAS fluff for the most part, but did that matter?..NO.
It's the impression, those mock up cars in 70mm screaming around the Sopraelevata had, that sent me into euphoria.

I hope there are many uninitiated out there who, going along to this film and having no idea what's about to hit them, succumb to the same seduction I did.

Jp

Absolutely Jon, the same thing happen to me at the Uptown Theatre on Connecticut Avenue in Washington, D.C.

I wonder who will play Brett Lunger in Rush?

#75 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,228 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:35

I wonder who will play Brett Lunger in Rush?

Maybe Brett Lunger should play himself. He still looks very fit. This photo from the 2010 Legends of Riverside, with Howden Ganley:

Posted Image

Also, this from the Automobile Club of Monaco:

"....We do not know yet if this movie will be made here in Monaco because we do not receive, until now, any request for authorization..."

Vince H.

#76 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 686 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:37

Its astonishing that this film is being made by such a high quality outfit. These days it seems, Hollywood films are either Superhero films, remakes, or sequels. I`m looking forward to it, even if they do get the end plates wrong...

#77 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,513 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:50

Ditto. I can't wait to take my two young grandsons to see it. I hope they get the same thrill that I got watching "Grand Prix"

#78 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:09

These days it seems, Hollywood films are either Superhero films, remakes, or sequels.

And even worse - remakes of Superhero sequels....

I agree with many comments here about the positive long-term effect GRAND PRIX had in the 60s. It certainly hooked me on the cars of an era I was born into but too young to remember first hand. That opening sequence still, to this day, sets the blood pumping through my veins.

The only difference I guess is that GRAND PRIX was a contemporary story and RUSH is historical so won't make kids of this generation take notice of what is happening today in the sport in quite the same way. But then today's F1 is just not as interesting in any case....

#79 BRG

BRG

• 11,581 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:23

Also, this from the Automobile Club of Monaco:

"....We do not know yet if this movie will be made here in Monaco because we do not receive, until now, any request for authorization..."

Vince H.

I can exclusively reveal that, building on their proposed base at Blackbushe, the Monaco scenes will be re-created on the glamorous streets of downtown Camberley.

Advertisement

#80 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:43

I can exclusively reveal that, building on their proposed base at Blackbushe, the Monaco scenes will be re-created on the glamorous streets of downtown Camberley.

I am already in anticipation of the thread - 'Rush' - the out-takes?

http://www.google.co...y...366&bih=564

Edited by Giraffe, 02 February 2012 - 11:43.

#81 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,052 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:37

Its astonishing that this film is being made by such a high quality outfit. These days it seems, Hollywood films are either Superhero films, remakes, or sequels. I`m looking forward to it, even if they do get the end plates wrong...

Surely Hunt, Lauda and their peers are superheroes?

#82 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,271 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:04

I am already in anticipation of the thread - 'Rush' - the out-takes?

Ahh Yes.
The thread that enticed me over here in the first place

The only difference I guess is that GRAND PRIX was a contemporary story and RUSH is historical so won't make kids of this generation take notice of what is happening today in the sport in quite the same way. But then today's F1 is just not as interesting in any case....

As I opined in my previous post, I feel there is plenty to engage the 16-30's.There exists the capacity within them to appreciate, what they call, 'old skool'.
Although,as you and f1steveuk have said, if that impression is then projected upon the current F1 offering, they might be disenchanted.
However that DOES play into the whole 'it was better back when' routine, resulting in whippersnappers like me coming in here; waxing lyrical about Back in the Day.

Jp

#83 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,884 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:22

I couldn't agree more!

#84 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 13:55

Ahh Yes.
The thread that enticed me over here in the first place

resulting in whippersnappers like me coming in here; waxing lyrical about Back in the Day.

Jp

They did just that when "Grand Prix" was launched on an unsuspecting youth here in the UK, Jon. Oh, and if you think that you or anyone can second guess teenagers, forget it. That's never been done successfully either. :well:

#85 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 14:23

:up: :up: :up:

#86 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,178 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 14:39

They will set the Mirabeau at Knaphill and the swimming pool esses at the Spectrum in Guildford. :drunk:

The Boulevard Vazquez in Royat will of course feature as the run down from Casino to Upper Mirabeau for the 2nd time in a film :D

#87 Andrew Kitson

Andrew Kitson

• 2,534 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:44

http://joesaward.wor...-to-the-movies/

#88 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 17:35

http://joesaward.wor...-to-the-movies/

This is very encouraging!

#89 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 18:53

Have to say I was very sceptical when I heard about this, but having followed this thread with interest I am now very excited! seems like my dears of it being inaccurate or the usual Hollywood drivel are off the mark!

Another thread said that there was also a new documentary film in production, does anyone know if this is true or that they really meant this and got confused?

#90 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 19:02

The trick with Grand Prix was that the main characters were fictitious wheras in Rush they will be based on true life characters. It could be quite challenging to impersonate James & Niki, but then look at the job Meryl Streep did with Margaret Thatcher.

#91 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 21:51

I've never quite 'got' what twitter is about so I'm going to have another stab at it by following @RealRonHoward, looks like the production office walls have a fair amount of reference material from which to pick up some of the details :- https://twitter.com/#!/RealRonHoward/st...6802177/photo/1

#92 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 23:58

The trick with Grand Prix was that the main characters were fictitious wheras in Rush they will be based on true life characters.

True Tony.....but I struggled to believe what happend in 1976 and I followed it every inch of the way

Who needs a script writer :)

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 03 February 2012 - 23:59.

#93 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,671 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 00:46

Who needs a script writer :)

PAR

I remember struggling with the P3/4 concept from then on everything just went crazy :stoned:

#94 CSquared

CSquared

• 621 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:48

The trick with Grand Prix was that the main characters were fictitious wheras in Rush they will be based on true life characters. It could be quite challenging to impersonate James & Niki, but then look at the job Meryl Streep did with Margaret Thatcher.

Many people would say that looking like or accurately impersonating someone has little to do with doing a good job acting in the role of that person. If you know what I'm saying. For example, I hope they don't give Daniel Bruhl a big, fake overbite. While it might make him look more like Lauda, I think it would detract more from the movie than it would add. In this picture do I think he looks like Lauda? No. Does that look in his eyes tooooootally make me wanna see him play Niki Lauda in this movie? Yes. :)

Posted Image

#95 rallen

rallen

• 545 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:35

I have just checked Ron Howard's twitter feed - if anyone here hasn't checked it out already I recommend you do. It is very interesting and the attention to detail and amount of research he is putting in is vast (he uploads lots and lots of photos to talk you through it, locations, cars, the research vids etc) all very promising and has blown away all my doubts!

Can anyone tell me if they intend to use actual archive footage though?

#96 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 18:35

I have just checked Ron Howard's twitter feed - if anyone here hasn't checked it out already I recommend you do. It is very interesting and the attention to detail and amount of research he is putting in is vast (he uploads lots and lots of photos to talk you through it, locations, cars, the research vids etc) all very promising and has blown away all my doubts!

Can anyone tell me if they intend to use actual archive footage though?

I suspect it will be mostly computer generated graphics, realistic but not the same thing.

Somebody like Nigel Roebuck or Peter Windsor need to get him on their podcast, etc.

#97 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,271 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 19:40

Somebody like Nigel Roebuck or Peter Windsor need to get him on their podcast, etc.

Funny you should mention that David.
I sent an email yesterday with exactly that request.

Jp

#98 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,399 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 21:39

Funny you should mention that David.
I sent an email yesterday with exactly that request.

Jp

To Nigel or to Peter? Perhaps I should do the same Jon. Please share the address you used. Thanks. :up:

#99 stuartbrs

stuartbrs

• 686 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:32

"Grand Prix" keeps getting mentioned a lot in this thread.... and that film most definitely did not pay exact attention to end plates ( obviously there werent any ( although TNF might prove me wrong! )), engine displacement, chassis plates, or accuracy of the cars.... they did look contemporary though, and I`m sure Ron Howards efforts will be the same, if not a little better...

Its a film, its not a documentary. :)

I am suprised that this film is being made and that Hollywood didnt pick Senna versus Prost.... that story has exactly the kind of tragic ending that Hollywood movies seem to crave...

Advertisement

#100 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,174 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 13:19

I am suprised that this film is being made and that Hollywood didnt pick Senna versus Prost.... that story has exactly the kind of tragic ending that Hollywood movies seem to crave...

That will be "Rush 2".