Photo

The forthcoming Lauda-Hunt movie 'Rush'

• Please log in to reply
1977 replies to this topic

#1301 mfd

mfd

• 2,897 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:08

Somewhat off-topic, but this brings to mind the whole problem of paying licensing rights to music that's used in film soundtracks.

Where once they were less interested & expensive, these days musicians/bands can't get enough of film/TV/advert opportunities

Advertisement

#1302 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 238 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 17:45

Where once they were less interested & expensive, these days musicians/bands can't get enough of film/TV/advert opportunities

I guess we should not be surprised - Once musicians figure out they can make money off their old catalogue, it's tempting to use it as a post-career annuity / retirement fund!
If I were in their position, I'd probably do the same thing.

In the article, Van Zandt mentions that the fees can be very elastic, depending on how interested or enthusiastic the rights owner is about the film/TV project.

#1303 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,037 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 21:37

Yes there is Ron! but circa 68...

and...Oops! how could I forget Jimi....

http://en.wikipedia....Experience_song)

#1304 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 2,203 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 20:29

Ron Howard (who, coincidentally, starred in "American Graffiti") might have liked to have 1970's Led Zeppelin / Stones / Who, etc., in the "Rush" soundtrack, but maybe the licensing rights are too expensive. Uriah Heep, on the other hand, might be much more affordable.

Ron Howard, who starred in Happy Days... I think for most Americans it is almost impossible to see him and not holler: 'Richie!' Or: 'Where is the Fonz?'

#1305 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,798 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 21:27

Ron Howard, who starred in Happy Days... I think for most Americans it is almost impossible to see him and not holler: 'Richie!' Or: 'Where is the Fonz?'

Actually, for many of us here we (myself included) remember him more as Opie.

#1306 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 238 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 23:10

:up: +1

It's amazing to think that show was in production half a century ago. Andy Griffith just died only 6 months ago.

#1307 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,607 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:27

+2

#1308 nicanary

nicanary

• 453 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:57

I have a regular customer at my shop with the surname Cunningham. When he calls in I can't help myself - it's always "Hey, Cunninghaaaaaam......"

#1309 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:05

You can now listen to part of the "Rush" soundtrack by Hans Zimmer on Youtube.

Sounds pretty good to me.

#1310 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,424 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 00:21

Personal tastes differ. I hope the movie compensates for its music...

DCN

#1311 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,037 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 00:32

Cunningham 1
DCN -1

#1312 PCC

PCC

• 480 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:16

Personal tastes differ. I hope the movie compensates for its music...

DCN

Apparently, it was written by someone who has composed more than 100 film scores. So, he must know more than one chord - maybe some others appear elsewhere in the film.

#1313 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:01

I hope so, the right soundtrack can really add to a film. Can anyone tell me what are the songs playing at 0:25 and 1:46 in the clip posted by Phil? I really should know but can't put my finger on them!

I believe the first song is Uriah Heep's July Morning.

Second song is Ten Years Gone by Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti)

#1314 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,201 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:27

Completely OT, but!!!

In the opening shots of Happy Days, the "Fonz" is shown riding a Triumph motor bike. He couldn't ride, and was pushed into shot and rolled down a hill. Henry Winkler still owns this bike, he brought it from the film company when he found out it was THE Triumph ridden by Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape"!!! I got this from the horses mouth (Henry) not a bloke down the pub!!

#1315 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,037 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:48

Completely OT, but!!!

In the opening shots of Happy Days, the "Fonz" is shown riding a Triumph motor bike. He couldn't ride, and was pushed into shot and rolled down a hill. Henry Winkler still owns this bike, he brought it from the film company when he found out it was THE Triumph ridden by Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape"!!! I got this from the horses mouth (Henry) not a bloke down the pub!!

Please tell me that Henry has since learned to ride??? :well:

#1316 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,201 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:58

Do you know, I never thought to ask, I was so amazed by the story. It would be a waste if he hasn't!! Although I think he auctioned it in 2011, so maybe he thought it was a waste as well. He just said to me he was "captivated by it's history" and persauded the stuntman who owned it to let him buy it.

Edited by f1steveuk, 25 February 2013 - 12:06.

#1317 alansart

alansart

• 4,027 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:26

Do you know, I never thought to ask, I was so amazed by the story. It would be a waste if he hasn't!! Although I think he auctioned it in 2011, so maybe he thought it was a waste as well. He just said to me he was "captivated by it's history" and persauded the stuntman who owned it to let him buy it.

I heard a story the other week that due to Insurance Steve McQueen wasn't allowed to do the jump over the fence (that's known). When filming had finished McQueen and several others got on their bikes and did it anyway - Good if it's true :)

#1318 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 252 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:50

Second song is Ten Years Gone by Led Zeppelin (Physical Graffiti)

Thanks E1pix! I'm a fan of Led Zep but i'm ashamed to admit I've never listened to Physical Graffiti - i've got some purchasing to do...

#1319 GD66

GD66

• 2,188 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:38

Henry Winkler still owns this bike, he brought it from the film company when he found out it was THE Triumph ridden by Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape"!!! I got this from the horses mouth (Henry) not a bloke down the pub!!

It's not at all, the Fonz bike was a rigid-frame TR5 trophy, and the "McQueen" bike was a later, sprung model : more suitable for Ekins' jump.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by GD66, 25 February 2013 - 14:01.

Advertisement

#1320 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,914 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:47

It's not at all, the Fonz bike was a rigid-frame TR5 trophy, and the "McQueen" bike was a later, sprung model : more suitable for Ekins' jump.

http://www.autoblog....up-for-auction/

That stuntman must have seen him coming!

#1321 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 8,424 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:50

And the right bike's frame number waaaaaaassssss..... ?

DCN

#1322 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,201 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 13:54

I don't think Henry was the same standard as Steve, he wouldn't know where the frame number was!

Although I didn't say it was the "jump" bike, and neither did Henry!

I also heard that after shooting a group went out and tried the jump, including Charles Brosnon, though no one said how many succeeded!

I have no way of asking how the story came about, but it's unlikely Henry would have brought any old bike, if he couldn't ride it!

But to quote Henry himself

"Is it true that motorcycle you rode on Happy Days was the same motorcycle Steve McQueen rode in The Great Escape?

"Yes. The man who rented it to us just passed away. Growing up, my action hero was Steve McQueen I only met him once–we were walking by each other on a street in Beverly Hills, and we nodded at each other. To this day I am angry with myself that I did not shake his hand.""

Edited by f1steveuk, 25 February 2013 - 14:07.

#1323 mfd

mfd

• 2,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:37

That stuntman must have seen him coming!

A very good friend told me he'd once met a man in Australia who did the jump. Being polite I didn't say anything but all the time I was thinking Ekins did it...
Then today, I found this, which refers to an unknown Australian helping them out. Have a read, it's a good story.
http://www.thegreate...d_the_fence.htm

Edited by mfd, 25 February 2013 - 23:06.

#1324 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:42

Thanks E1pix! I'm a fan of Led Zep but i'm ashamed to admit I've never listened to Physical Graffiti - i've got some purchasing to do...

You're welcome and yes, rush on out and buy it! While you're at it, pick up Presence as well. :up:

#1325 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,201 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 19:47

I enjoyed that, very interesting thanks for the heads up Mike.

On the bike front, I see at least two different bikes (dented left hand header pipe), so who knows what Henry brought!

#1326 GD66

GD66

• 2,188 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 22:15

A very good friend told me he'd once met a man in Australia who did the jump. Being polite I didn't say anything but all the time I was thinking Elkins did it...
Then today, I found this, which refers to an unknown Australian helping them out. Have a read, it's a good story.

Good article, Mike. The "unknown" Australian was Tim Gibbes, a pal of Ekins' from their days together riding the ISDT. Here's a pic of them together at the 1963 ISDT, Ekins on the left and Gibbes on the works AJS on the right.
Posted Image

Further to your engine number query, Doug, :) the Fonz bike pictured has round barrells on, whereas the one auctioned has square barrells with two threaded stud inserts on each side amongst the fins. These castings were to mount cooling shrouds on the barrells when the early Triumph engines, including those used on the GP roadrace model, were employed as generator engines in Lancaster bombers. So I rather suspect that the bike auctioned is not in fact the original Fonz bike, merely a TR5 from the time...much as several G50 Matchlesses have been auctioned as "ex-Steve McQueen", several 350 Ducati roadracers as "ex-Bruno Spaggiari", and any number of Suzuki TR750s sold as "ex-Barry Sheene".
Same as historic cars, caveat emptor...
Well, that's enough rivet-counting and thread diversion from me...

#1327 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,709 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 22:46

You're welcome and yes, rush on out and buy it! While you're at it, pick up Presence as well. :up:

Feel a slip into a time warp coming on  ;)

Edited by arttidesco, 25 February 2013 - 22:46.

#1328 E1pix

E1pix

• 9,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 22:57

:wave: Welcome to my Traumen:

#1329 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,037 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 23:17

Good article, Mike. The "unknown" Australian was Tim Gibbes, a pal of Ekins' from their days together riding the ISDT. Here's a pic of them together at the 1963 ISDT, Ekins on the left and Gibbes on the works AJS on the right.

Further to your engine number query, Doug, :) the Fonz bike pictured has round barrells on, whereas the one auctioned has square barrells with two threaded stud inserts on each side amongst the fins. These castings were to mount cooling shrouds on the barrells when the early Triumph engines, including those used on the GP roadrace model, were employed as generator engines in Lancaster bombers. So I rather suspect that the bike auctioned is not in fact the original Fonz bike, merely a TR5 from the time...much as several G50 Matchlesses have been auctioned as "ex-Steve McQueen", several 350 Ducati roadracers as "ex-Bruno Spaggiari", and any number of Suzuki TR750s sold as "ex-Barry Sheene".
Same as historic cars, caveat emptor...
Well, that's enough rivet-counting and thread diversion from me...

Thanks GD...I had no idea that Ekins was a top level rider...you don't do ISDT unless you have some serious talent...Cheers, Mick

#1330 mfd

mfd

• 2,897 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 23:18

...so who knows what Henry brought!

Indeed, or what he sold!

Thanks for filling in the name & background GD :up:

#1331 GD66

GD66

• 2,188 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:21

Thanks GD...I had no idea that Ekins was a top level rider...you don't do ISDT unless you have some serious talent...Cheers, Mick

Ekins won four golds and a silver in ISDT, he was no mug. To round off, he was also the bloke who dropped the Triumph Bonneville and slid under the truck during the car chase in "Bulllitt".

And questionable though a few essential details may be, for what it's worth I'm pretty keen to get a look at the Rush movie, mainly to get a good earful of some tasty sounds.... :drunk:

#1332 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 7,037 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:30

Ekins, he was also the bloke who dropped the Triumph Bonneville and slid under the truck during the car chase in "Bulllitt".

.... :drunk:

for years there was a story that a guy just wandered/rode onto the closed piece of road. The story went that they thought it was too good not to include in the film.

#1333 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:57

The "unknown" Australian was Tim Gibbes

I never knew Tim Gibbes was Australian. I knew him after he moved to New Zealand as a world-class motocross rider who switched to rallying with Toyotas around 1972

#1334 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,015 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:32

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but Sean Edwards, son of Guy helped with the racing scenes, and also portrays his father in certain scenes in "Rush".

Edit; I see it has been mentioned before, but not that he had played his dad.

Edited by Giraffe, 26 February 2013 - 10:36.

#1335 mfd

mfd

• 2,897 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:57

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but Sean Edwards, son of Guy helped with the racing scenes, and also portrays his father in certain scenes in "Rush".
Edit; I see it has been mentioned before, but not that he had played his dad.

He drove the 911 they used to attend the accident in the 'ring sequence

#1336 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,201 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:09

Weren't two of the cars used in Rush supplied by the Ertl and Edwards families?

I had the pleasure of dealing quite a bit with Steve Wright (not the DJ, McQueens side kick and spanner man), as the museum I worked at had two ex McQueen bikes (an Indian board racer, totally original and a Henderson four), both of which Mr Wright confirmed as McQueen bikes, it was Steve Wright who first brought up the Great Escape bike, so I had no reason to have any doubts. He also cast some doubt on Becky Adams' story of the "missing" 917.

#1337 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 19:08

I think they have now changed something on the website, so you can now download the Hans Zimmer track for free. (use the right button on your mouse and select "save link as"). One of the things I like most about this whole production is how forthcoming they are with information. It is a far cry from the usual Hollywood secrecy. And giving away a track for free is a nice touch.

#1338 mfd

mfd

• 2,897 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 20:17

He also cast some doubt on Becky Adams' story of the "missing" 917.

You'll have to explain Steve. Do you mean the 917 found in a French barn? Not to mention Becky Adams, who as far as I can see is a former brothel Madam :blush:

#1339 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 15:47

Urgh. Didn't include link- sorry!

Advertisement

#1340 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,201 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 17:25

You'll have to explain Steve. Do you mean the 917 found in a French barn? Not to mention Becky Adams, who as far as I can see is a former brothel Madam :blush:

I must learn not to post away from home! It is actually Beki Adam, one time Top Gear presenter, who wrote a book "Cars of The Stars" or something like that, in which she claimed the 917 McQueen used in Le Mans went into his collection, but wasn't there after his death, although it's a long time ago I read it (it was pretty poor), but I am sure that was the gist. She has since disappeared and got very into a religion.

#1341 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:16

"Ron Howard's latest, RUSH, is rated 'R': sexual content, nudity, language, some disturbing images & brief drug use."

Excellent news, I think, as this was a dark period in F1 history and things happened that would not fitted in a PG-13 flick. I suppose we will be seeing a lot of Hunt and his, ehm, extracurricular activities. :clap:

#1342 Wander

Wander

• 2,281 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 00:21

"Ron Howard's latest, RUSH, is rated 'R': sexual content, nudity, language, some disturbing images & brief drug use."

Excellent news, I think, as this was a dark period in F1 history and things happened that would not fitted in a PG-13 flick. I suppose we will be seeing a lot of Hunt and his, ehm, extracurricular activities. :clap:

"Rated R For sexual content, nudity, language, some disturbing images and brief drug use."

Sounds good to me!

And on that note, I just found a track from the soundtrack by Hans Zimmer on youtube:

Nothing surprising, but solid Zimmer stuff.

#1343 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:45

We now have some idea of how the film will look :)

PAR

#1344 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,709 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 13:26

PAR

And a release date :smoking:

#1345 blackmme

blackmme

• 466 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 15:42

PAR

And gosh it's going to look fantastic! So odd seeing those cars in HD when my memory of Fuji is grainy over saturated, low contrast 26" Phillips TV (okay it's not Fuji but it looks incredible).
I can't wait to see this film. Even if it makes Driven look like The Godfather ptII I will enjoy it for 2 hours of McLaren M23 porn :)

Regards Mike

#1346 BRG

BRG

• 11,706 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 16:38

Hollywood is amazing - who'd have thought some of that was filmed round the back of Blackbushe SUnday market!

#1347 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,201 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 17:11

I know events are twisted,adjusted etc to tell a longer story in a shorter way, but I am at odds with the with a John Day sponsored March flying through the air, what's that about then?

Looks really rather good though!

#1348 Kart15

Kart15

• 148 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 17:20

I liked but Hunt looks like Ayrton Senna with all that bullsh*t speechs about "death", and we know, Hunt perhaps was the most nervous driver in F1, I don´t remember he talking about "death and you only live when you´re ready to die".. I don´t think Lauda said in a briefing that he was faster than everybody, but let´s see.. I liked the M23 and the 312T jumping in the flugplatz..

#1349 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,087 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 17:38

It looks as if it will need two viewings: one while wearing the anorak and one without.

#1350 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 347 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 17:46

I hope Ron Howard isn't going to blot his copybook with this and make it TOO sensationalist. There's potential for it to be a great movie, but there's also the other way....