The forthcoming Lauda-Hunt movie 'Rush'

• Please log in to reply
1977 replies to this topic

#1401 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,127 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:33

where were the sub-titles :confused: :stoned:

Yes, the first comment under that YouTube clip asks if the actors are speaking with their mouths full, a problem for me with almost all recent films. All films are supposed to entertain, but how can they do that if we're constantly struggling to hear the dialogue? On TV, especially where Americans are talking, or more accurately mumbling indistinctly, we can call up sub-titles. Cinema has tried to force 3D on us, completely pointless in many instances, but they don't seem to have considered sub-titles yet, and before anyone suggests that I need an ear trumpet, my hearing is the faculty that appears to have deteriorated least with age in my case, at least so far.

Advertisement

#1402 Lutz G

Lutz G

• 364 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:56

A second trailer, this time specifically for the US.

Whetted my appetite even further, it looks absolutely superb.

Absolutely! Hope the script is just as good...

#1403 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 18:38

I am sorry...but that is Niki Lauda :eek:

PAR

#1404 D-Type

D-Type

• 8,019 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:24

It looks as if the long arm of Ernie Becclestone has pulled that U-Tube trailer

#1405 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 4,859 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:41

My apologies for adding yet another post to a thread of already epic length but I have decided on a quite revolutionary strategy. I intend to wait until the film comes out, then go and see it, and then make up my mind about its qualities.

#1406 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,624 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 16:53

It looks as if the long arm of Ernie Becclestone has pulled that U-Tube trailer

I doubt Ernie had much say in it, it is not his flim, of course soon as you close one account like this down another dozen or so pop up, this one has a lot of dialogue that was not in the first one :- :up:

#1407 BRG

BRG

• 11,410 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 17:07

I intend to wait until the film comes out, then go and see it, and then make up my mind about its qualities.

If you are going to start behaving rationally, there can be no place for you on the Internet.

#1408 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:43

Yeah, bloody trouble-maker...

#1409 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,617 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 17:16

http://www.independe...ie-8626265.html

#1410 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:31

Well, some of my fears are coming to pass.

Having been shown a cut down promo' for Rush (out Sept' 11th) I have to say, some of it looks brilliant, whereas some of it (Hunt knocking someone out in the pits and a Tyrrell replacing a Surtees under the Armco thus combining accidents from 1973 and 1974) didn't look so good. Yes I know, it's an amalgam, done to condense a longer story, but to me, it's playing fast and loose with history, regardless of how "niche". Still 'a' motor racing film is better than no motor racing film!!

Just found this on Youtube which has both scenes in it.

Edited by f1steveuk, 31 May 2013 - 12:04.

#1411 blackmme

blackmme

• 414 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 05:50

Well, some of my fears are coming to pass.

Having been shown a cut down promo' for Rush (out Sept' 11th) I have to say, some of it looks brilliant, whereas some of it (Hunt knocking someone out in the pits and a Tyrrell replacing a Surtees under the Armco thus combining accidents from 1973 and 1974) didn't look so good. Yes I know, it's an amalgam, done to condense a longer story, but to me, it's playing fast and loose with history, regardless of how "niche". Still 'a' motor racing film is better than no motor racing film!!

Just found this on Youtube which has both scenes in it.

I think the someone punched by Hunt is Dave Morgan in a scene based on the famous F3 race at Crystal Palace. It would appear to me based on a 1m 29s trailer that they have got FAR more right than wrong.

I can't wait to see the finished article

Regards Mike

Edited by blackmme, 01 June 2013 - 05:51.

#1412 Cappo

Cappo

• 80 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 13:13

I see the trailer has a disclaimer on the credits, 'based on a true story' - I can't wait to see the movie!

#1413 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 14:05

'loosely based on a true story' ;-)

#1414 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 00:12

I always thought a trailer was supposed to show the most spectacular parts to draw you in, but the CGI is so obvious & I haven't seen anything here to impress me. Having said this, I'm expecting to be in a minority of one. I hope I'm wrong.

#1415 E.B.

E.B.

• 1,612 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:06

'based on a true story'

I hate it when films make this claim - it basically gives them a licence to tell whatever story they want, whilst fooling the great unwashed into thinking the whole thing is therefore 100% accurate.

#1416 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:16

I hate it when films make this claim - it basically gives them a licence to tell whatever story they want, whilst fooling the great unwashed into thinking the whole thing is therefore 100% accurate.

Exactly my point too.

#1417 Keir

Keir

• 5,214 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 14:59

They can always ask a true TNF'er for the real story.

#1418 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 15:16

"They can always ask a true TNF'er for the real story."

The production company did, a couple of us, and ignored us too!

That one picture of a Tyrrell, with the number 6 on it, shown in more or less the same resting place as a Surtees a year later is a good indication of how history can be bent to fit a Hollywood story! ( at 00:24 )

Edited by f1steveuk, 02 June 2013 - 15:18.

#1419 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 16:12

As Jack Nicholson said in a Few Good Men, you can't handle the truth...what do expect from Hollywood? Frankly I suspect it will do reasonable well at the box office, at least they got the drivers names right.

Edited by David M. Kane, 02 June 2013 - 16:13.

Advertisement

#1420 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:24

As Jack Nicholson said in a Few Good Men, you can't handle the truth...what do expect from Hollywood? Frankly I suspect it will do reasonable well at the box office, at least they got the drivers names right.

I don't know, I saw one spelling of Regazzoni that was wrong in one early reel............................

#1421 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,127 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:27

I wonder if either James or Niki will be the one to capture that Enigma machine...

#1422 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,582 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:39

I wonder if either James or Niki will be the one to capture that Enigma machine...

They were too busy with the Manhattan Project. :cool:

#1423 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 13:18

I don't know, I saw one spelling of Regazzoni that was wrong in one early reel............................

Get with the programme Steve, it's just based on real names

Edited by mfd, 03 June 2013 - 13:18.

#1424 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,624 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:02

That might explain the Ferrari 312T being tested alongside the Renault Traffic Turbo then :cool:

#1425 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,140 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:14

I found the trailers to be VERY disappointing - yet ANOTHER 'racing' movie that primarily deals with accidents, injuries and death. That's not what I'm interested in. I really don't see myself queuing up for this one...

Still waiting for the first REAL (i.e. accident free) RACING movie! :)

#1426 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 14:14

Sorry, I really should know better Mike!!

Ralph, I am sure there will be some glaring gaffs, but it has to be better than no film at all, and I hear through the grapevine that the Cevert/Tyrrell/Konigg/Surtees amalgam may yet disappear, but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by f1steveuk, 03 June 2013 - 15:42.

#1427 blackmme

blackmme

• 414 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 15:33

I found the trailers to be VERY disappointing - yet ANOTHER 'racing' movie that primarily deals with accidents, injuries and death. That's not what I'm interested in. I really don't see myself queuing up for this one...

Still waiting for the first REAL (i.e. accident free) RACING movie! :)

Just my 2p's but I don't think you could make an F1 film covering the years 73 to 76 without it featuring accidents, injuries and death quite heavily.
The movie seems to be more about Lauda I think. I personally think his is a story that deserves a wider audience. Niki's mental resolve and physical fortitude was absolutely extraordinary.

Lauda was an advisor to the film, I guess if Niki is happy then <Lauda accent> The rest of us can go to hell </Lauda accent>, because it's his story.

Apollo 13 certainly contained some dramatic licence but Lovell & Haise said they were happy with the film (although the 'argument' didn't really occur). Let's hope Niki is happy and provided a commentary for the Blu Ray / DVD, now that COULD be interesting!

Regards Mike

#1428 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 726 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 17:16

I thought there were a couple of oddites in the trailer - i hope i've got this right btw.

There is a very short clip where 'james' appears to be asking who 'niki' is - 'that's niki lauda he's just signed for ferrari' comes back the reply.

This would be the same 'Niki lauda' that 'James' has been racing alongside for the past 3 seasons (including a half season of F1), and if my memory serves (which it very often doesn't these days) shared a london flat with in 1970/71?

did i hear it right?

And , on slightly dodgier ground, did Hans Stuck have that 'accident' that we see - i don't recall it but again i could be wrong.

Did Rush have the same production crew and researchers as Apollo 13?

Just wondering, as you do.

Peter

#1429 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,182 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:02

And , on slightly dodgier ground, did Hans Stuck have that 'accident' that we see - i don't recall it but again i could be wrong

I've just checked, and Stuck did crash out on the first lap of the '76 British GP. The circuit depicted on the clip looks like Brands.

#1430 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,395 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 18:10

I've just checked, and Stuck did crash out on the first lap of the '76 British GP. The circuit depicted on the clip looks like Brands.

Hey, give peace a chance...

#1431 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:06

Did Rush have the same production crew and researchers as Apollo 13? Just wondering, as you do.
Peter

Haha - as you're a techie Peter, would an F1 car on wets spin its wheels whilst initially making no forward progress - ie stand still?

#1432 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 726 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 20:26

ok, just thought i'd watch the brands '76 film to have a look - unfortunately while it captures the aftermath it doesn't show stuck's car during the collision (with depailler).

would an F1 car on wets spin its wheels whilst initially making no forwards progress? did i miss something in the trailer (?) or am i missing the point?

Peter

Edited by PeterElleray, 03 June 2013 - 21:04.

#1433 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:12

would an F1 car on wets spin its wheels whilst initially making no forwards progress? did i miss something in the trailer (?) or am i missing the point?
Peter

It was my impression from both occasions I watched it - 19 seconds in. I've slowed it down & it's not as extreme as I thought

#1434 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,346 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:38

I don't think so.
A more convincing guess has already been made:

Stuck crashing with Andretti at Monza while battling for 9th place.

#1435 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 726 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:54

It was my impression from both occasions I watched it - 19 seconds in. I've slowed it down & it's not as extreme as I thought

i think its maybe an impression created when the shot of the rear tyre goes into slow motion as part of the clip ?

#1436 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 726 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 21:55

I don't think so.
A more convincing guess has already been made:

good excuse for digging out monza '76....

peter

#1437 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,624 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 22:18

Sorry, I really should know better Mike!!

Ralph, I am sure there will be some glaring gaffs, but it has to be better than no film at all.

I'm in the queue at the bargain DVD bin singing "Why are we waiting" as usual Steve :wave:

#1438 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:04

Right behind you!

#1439 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 18:01

I don't think this behind-the-scenes featurette has been posted here yet. It has a couple of new scenes in it.

MSN featurette

I still think it looks great, though I have a feeling I have seen half the movie. But that's ok.

Advertisement

#1440 funformula

funformula

• 186 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 18:35

There is a very short clip where 'james' appears to be asking who 'niki' is - 'that's niki lauda he's just signed for ferrari' comes back the reply.

This would be the same 'Niki lauda' that 'James' has been racing alongside for the past 3 seasons (including a half season of F1), and if my memory serves (which it very often doesn't these days) shared a london flat with in 1970/71?

did i hear it right?

Peter

I think that they combined two secquences of the film which have nothing to do together, this is often seen in trailers just to tell a little story of it´s own in them.

Edited by funformula, 13 June 2013 - 18:37.

#1441 Bill Becketts

Bill Becketts

• 319 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 19:39

I don't think this behind-the-scenes featurette has been posted here yet. It has a couple of new scenes in it.

MSN featurette

I still think it looks great, though I have a feeling I have seen half the movie. But that's ok.

Hunt sounds right and Lauda looks right too..

The chap impersonating Simon Taylor sounded too real :cool:

Edited by Bill Becketts, 13 June 2013 - 19:40.

#1442 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,032 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 21:30

ok, just thought i'd watch the brands '76 film to have a look - unfortunately while it captures the aftermath it doesn't show stuck's car during the collision (with depailler).

Peter

Peter,
I have only just seen your post. Heading OT from the film, I was at Druids for the 1976 race and took a few poor shots on an old Agfa. They happen to be among a batch of things I'm listing optimistically on ebay. Stuck certainly ended up beached on the inside of the hairpin (as the 1976 highlights show) but there was nothing like the spectacular 'Rush' crash, not at Brands anyway. I'm not sure it was even his March that hit Depailler pushing him into the catch fencing. I think Patrick was well ahead of Stuck, who was delayed by his lurid avoidance of the stalled Andretti on the grid. One of my slides shows Bob Evans spinning; I wonder whether Stuck hit him.

Here's the link to the slides (note high presentational quality, suspended from a bulldog clip over a lampshade....). You can't make out much detail unless you use the Ebay 'mouse on image' feature which is quite handy. You just need to place the cursor/finger over the slide; the two to the right show Depailler coming to grief on the first lap of the restart. Shame, he was in second place first time around, having avoided all the mayhem at Paddock.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1555.l2649

Edited by john winfield, 13 June 2013 - 21:35.

#1443 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 726 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 21:53

I think that they combined two secquences of the film which have nothing to do together, this is often seen in trailers just to tell a little story of it´s own in them.

ok

#1444 PeterElleray

PeterElleray

• 726 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 21:57

Peter,
I have only just seen your post. Heading OT from the film, I was at Druids for the 1976 race and took a few poor shots on an old Agfa. They happen to be among a batch of things I'm listing optimistically on ebay. Stuck certainly ended up beached on the inside of the hairpin (as the 1976 highlights show) but there was nothing like the spectacular 'Rush' crash, not at Brands anyway. I'm not sure it was even his March that hit Depailler pushing him into the catch fencing. I think Patrick was well ahead of Stuck, who was delayed by his lurid avoidance of the stalled Andretti on the grid. One of my slides shows Bob Evans spinning; I wonder whether Stuck hit him.

Here's the link to the slides (note high presentational quality, suspended from a bulldog clip over a lampshade....). You can't make out much detail unless you use the Ebay 'mouse on image' feature which is quite handy. You just need to place the cursor/finger over the slide; the two to the right show Depailler coming to grief on the first lap of the restart. Shame, he was in second place first time around, having avoided all the mayhem at Paddock.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1555.l2649

Thanks john - quite interesting. There was a suggestion a little further up the thread that it was infact based on the Andretti/Stuck incident at monza later in the season. So i did indeed watch the whole of that race, but the tv only captures the aftermath, with Hans towering over an obviously not very impressed Mario in the gravel trap and appearing to be explaining his version of events in words of one sylable..

Peter

#1445 Simon Taylor

Simon Taylor

• 72 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:16

The chap impersonating Simon Taylor sounded too real :cool:

Sorry about that.....

#1446 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 13:45

There are two new character posters for Rush, the playboy and the perfectionist.

#1447 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,127 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 14:06

There are two new character posters for Rush, the playboy and the perfectionist.

I saw a trailer on the McLaren stand at Goodwood, and wasn't impressed at all, pure Hollywood, stern looks from the characters, portentious quotes and all. I don't think I'd like this film, sorry "movie", so I won't watch it, I've avoided the Senna thing for much the same reasons. Old fart? Almost certainly yes, but nothing I've seen so far makes me want to see this largely fictional creation, how can anyone know what was going through James & Niki's minds? "Whether 'tis nobler in the mind etc..." Pure crap.

#1448 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 14:25

I saw a trailer on the McLaren stand at Goodwood, and wasn't impressed at all, pure Hollywood, stern looks from the characters, portentious quotes and all. I don't think I'd like this film, sorry "movie", so I won't watch it, I've avoided the Senna thing for much the same reasons. Old fart? Almost certainly yes, but nothing I've seen so far makes me want to see this largely fictional creation, how can anyone know what was going through James & Niki's minds? "Whether 'tis nobler in the mind etc..." Pure crap.

We know rather precisely what went trough Niki's mind because he wrote an excellent and candid book about his experiences (My years at Ferrari). It's a worthwhile read. It is easy to see why he is a screenwriter's dream- there is just so much character development.

#1449 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,127 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 14:34

We know rather precisely what went trough Niki's mind because he wrote an excellent and candid book about his experiences (My years at Ferrari). It's a worthwhile read. It is easy to see why he is a screenwriter's dream- there is just so much character development.

No, only what he now claims (with the benefit of hindsight) went through his mind. Having been in a similar situation myself, though without the fire, many years ago, I very much doubt that he remembers anything at all, only what he's later read and been told. He'll have lost his memory of the actual events, that's what happens with traumatic injuries where unconsciousness is involved. I'm not calling Niki a liar, but I can't believe that he's an exception to the rule.

#1450 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,134 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 14:43

I have to agree Kayemod, having interviewed Niki, and at the very corner he refers to as "The Barbeque". He said he remembered up to roughly when he changed tyres, then in the hospital, but nothing in between. How much as been filled in for him in the intervening years, is anybodies guess!