Photo

The forthcoming Lauda-Hunt movie 'Rush'

• Please log in to reply
1977 replies to this topic

#1751 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 230 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:09

Did anyone notice that the actor who portrays Enzo Ferrari has Dallara as a surname?  Seems fitting, given the Dallara company's rise to prominence as a racing-car constructor in various series nowadays.

Advertisement

#1752 Dino246

Dino246

• 25 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 15:33

My wife and I along with a motor racing friend thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact it was much better than I expected while my wife who, despite us both being at Kyalami in '76, didn't remember much about the original events but was enthralled and kept asking if this or that really happened.  To my surprise I found I wasn't nitpicking the inaccurates, but just enjoying the action and particularly the ODEON's sound system. Rush certainly earned a thumbs up from us.

Edited by Dino246, 30 September 2013 - 15:34.

#1753 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,511 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:13

I've just seen Rush and it was enjoyable. Not great but it was good. I have a few questions though. Did a reporter actually ask that question, if so, who was he and did Hunt really punch him out?

#1754 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 290 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:00

I've just seen Rush and it was enjoyable. Not great but it was good. I have a few questions though. Did a reporter actually ask that question, if so, who was he and did Hunt really punch him out?

See Simon Taylor's post #1743 on this thread. It's Simon's mellifluous tones (unchanged these past 37 years) pushing the story along from the commentary box. JohnP :cool:

Edited by Slurp1955, 01 October 2013 - 10:39.

#1755 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,583 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:03

Caught it today with a buddy from Road Atlanta. We both thought it was pretty good. I though leaving out the Brands and Monza incidents was a mistake. Including them would have heightened the tension that the season held.

#1756 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,511 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:51

Thank you Slurp, I missed that post in my haste. In the last day since I've seen the movie and with a bit of thinking I'm more disappointed now. A close friend who is not an F1 fan now or ever, called me about an hour before I went to the movie to tell me I should see it, that I would like it etc. I had to tell him today, btw, that part is fiction, and btw , that part was fiction, and btw etc. They put in stuff that never happened and left out stuff that was integral as to what actually happened. The restart and kerfuffle at Brands? Nothing. The fact and reason his helmet came off? Nothing. His races with March? Nothing. Building a new engine overnight out of titanium in a garage that is in a different country than the factory??? People who never have watched F1 will now think that was possible. What? Titanium? Why we have a big pile of it right here, why didn't we think of that? I warned my wife ahead of time that the two of them were friends and not antagonistic towards each other as was portrayed. Good friends can talk trash without being mean. The movie didn't capture that.

#1757 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,673 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:37

Thank you Slurp, I missed that post in my haste. In the last day since I've seen the movie and with a bit of thinking I'm more disappointed now. A close friend who is not an F1 fan now or ever, called me about an hour before I went to the movie to tell me I should see it, that I would like it etc. I had to tell him today, btw, that part is fiction, and btw , that part was fiction, and btw etc. They put in stuff that never happened and left out stuff that was integral as to what actually happened. The restart and kerfuffle at Brands? Nothing. The fact and reason his helmet came off? Nothing. His races with March? Nothing. Building a new engine overnight out of titanium in a garage that is in a different country than the factory??? People who never have watched F1 will now think that was possible. What? Titanium? Why we have a big pile of it right here, why didn't we think of that? I warned my wife ahead of time that the two of them were friends and not antagonistic towards each other as was portrayed. Good friends can talk trash without being mean. The movie didn't capture that.

In the Italian version (foreign movies are dubbed here) at least, it was magnesium. The Italian version also uses quite indifferently "Marco Andretti" and "Mario Andretti". I was cringing.

#1758 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 271 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:46

It's my turn tonight... as a mad Lauda fan, I'm looking forward to it...

#1759 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 230 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:28

One thing I found curious - The movie depicts the public scoreboards at the races as showing 3-letter abbreviated versions of the drivers' names.  

Every scoreboard I've ever seen at a racetrack identifies the cars by car number.

Has anybody ever seen a scoreboard that identifies the cars by the driver's name instead of the car number?

Presumably the movie producers did this because they did not expect a general audience to remember that #1 = Lauda, #11 = Hunt, etc., etc.

Advertisement

#1760 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:32

Careful, Emery, you are slipping into anorak mode.

#1761 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,197 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:26

Has anybody ever seen a scoreboard that identifies the cars by the driver's name instead of the car number?

They did that in the 1930s! CAR-NUV-FAG etc

I guess still quite some time later as well? Fixed car numbers were only introduced in F1 in the mid seventies.

Edited by scheivlak, 02 October 2013 - 09:55.

#1762 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:57

I guess still quite some time later as well? Fixed car numbers were only introduced in F1 in the mid seventies.

Careful there! I think that's what Nelson Piquet Jr. has just been fined and sent off for "sensitivity training" for.

#1763 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,022 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:03

Did they use really those abbreviations on scoreboards?
When I saw them in the 1950s-70s, scoreboards used car numbers as appropriate to the race in progress - what you refer to as "fixed car numbers" is neither here nor there.
Now that cars don't have visible numbers, what do the scoreboards show and if it be drivers' three-letter codes, how does a spectator relate that to the cars he sees passing?

#1764 Wirra

Wirra

• 884 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:43

The acting was great, the direction was great, the cinematography was great, and never a flat spot as it kept going at a good pace. Only problem for me was I knew the story details too well but the family loved it. I kept on waiting for the ads so I could make a cuppa.

Last time I went to the pictures was to see Crocodile Dundee so make of this review what you want.

Edited by Wirra, 02 October 2013 - 12:44.

#1765 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 14:24

Wirra said "Last time I went to the pictures was to see Crocodile Dundee":

"If I gave my heart to you,
I'd have none and you'd have two......"

Priceless!

Edited by Barry Boor, 02 October 2013 - 14:25.

#1766 ddmichael

ddmichael

• 24 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 14:31

Having been a lurker on this site for years, I'm going to risk the ire of everyone here by saying that I didn't really care much for Rush. Having had a look at the last few pages of posts here only a couple of people seem to agree with me, which is a genuine surprise. I suppose what I'd been hoping for was something a little more grounded in reality, not necessarily racing accuracy, but a more measured approach to the subtleties of the actual relationship that is supposedly the focus of the film. All we really get is an overly-simplified plot, a nod towards the realities of racing as it then was, and a lot of caricatures who either love Niki and hate James, or vice versa. As for the racing scenes, where were they? A bunch of jump cuts, cars banging wheels and deafening engine noises, with no attempt made to convey any of the skills involved in driving. It says a lot that a member ofthe crew suggested to me that a modern audience would fall asleep during one of the racing scenes in Grand Prix! To me it had the feel of a made-for-television biopic, that races through the lives of its subjects without ever stopping to examine them because there's just no time before the next documented incident that requires coverage...

A missed opportunity in my view, but I will say that Daniel Brühl is exceptional as Lauda, and that Howard and cinematographer Anthony Dod Mantle do well amidst the budgetary constraints and monsoons they coped with during the shoot.

Here's a link to my review, which Richard Williams' aside (which I hadn't read until now), appears to be the only one not to suggest that what I've witnessed is the Citizen Kane of racing films, but there you go, each to his/her own...

http://www.discovery...haust-notes-58/

DM

#1767 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,197 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 15:19

When I saw them in the 1950s-70s, scoreboards used car numbers as appropriate to the race in progress - what you refer to as "fixed car numbers" is neither here nor there.
Now that cars don't have visible numbers, what do the scoreboards show and if it be drivers' three-letter codes, how does a spectator relate that to the cars he sees passing?

Oops, I read it as pitboards, OK!

#1768 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 230 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 16:24

Exactly, my question was about scoreboards, not pitboards.  Regardless of whether permanent numbers were assigned in F1, I think every public scoreboard at the time showed car numbers, not abbreviated driver names. 

If you look at the scoring pylons / scoreboards in "Rush", particularly the climactic Mt Fuji sequence, the scoring pylon does not show the car #'s, it shows driver names in  3-letter abbreviations.  Since the movie is so character-driven, I assume the moviemakers did that to make the connection to Hunt and Lauda more straightforward for the general audience.

Even nowadays, the scoreboards at, e.g., Watkins Glen shows car numbers, not driver names.

Edited by Emery0323, 02 October 2013 - 16:27.

#1769 Philip Whiteman

Philip Whiteman

• 143 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 18:29

I'd say you've hit the nail squarely on the head, ddmichael: two-dimensional characters and a cliche-ridden script. Lawrence of Arabia or even Grand Prix it ain't!

#1770 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,533 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 19:14

I only got to see it last night but I'm in full agreement with ddmichael

The scene that really did it for me was the "OK James - You can uncover your eyes now. Look! We've built you a Hesketh Formula One car!!!"

Oh... and James turning up at Easton Neston to find his car in boxes. On searching out Lord Hesketh he found him enjoying tea in front of a blazing fire. "Sorry James, the money's run out - I'm closing the team". Hadn't anyone seen the impassioned plea by the good lord on Grandstand the previous weekend? I know I did...

#1771 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 290 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 19:59

I'd say you've hit the nail squarely on the head, ddmichael: two-dimensional characters and a cliche-ridden script. Lawrence of Arabia or even Grand Prix it ain't!

If it was to compete with Lawrence of Arabia we would have had some Camel sponsored Lotus's in "Rush" surely. Like other Howard/Morgan work it's an interpretation of the events. There are holes in the story that Stevie Wonder could spot, but what the hell. I was at Brands and Monza in '76, and could write a two-hour tale just about the latter - see mine and Alan Raine's posts re. those events. More "Raging Bull" than "Grand Prix", JohnP  :)  

#1772 Hank the Deuce

Hank the Deuce

• 271 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:20

Well, I liked it, relative lack of depth of analysis of what actually went on notwithstanding!  That's the short story... I blogged a more-lengthy review for my own indulgence... here... http://jadedoldcoot....-what-rush.html

Edited by Hank the Deuce, 03 October 2013 - 04:21.

#1773 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,673 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:21

Hadn't anyone seen the impassioned plea by the good lord on Grandstand the previous weekend? I know I did...

Hi Cirrus, I would like to know more about those Grandstand happenings, and the actual circumstances of Hesketh shutdown, if possible.

I only heard that Lady Hesketh (understandably) decided to put a stop to the financial disaster, but what else happened?

#1774 pressman

pressman

• 251 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:45

Saw Rush yesterday and I  did try to leave my anorak at home but couldn't help feeling disappointed .

I find it hard to believe Niki Lauda was involved,  he never seemed the type to put up with second rate stuff,

Although he did drive the March 721x

Don't think I`ll buy the DVD

Cheers

Steve

#1775 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:58

I find it hard to believe Niki Lauda was involved,

I wondered too, but it is an amazing opportunity for him. He's famous to a point, but only (now) within motor sport circles.

"hey, you look just like that guy in that film..."

Edited by mfd, 03 October 2013 - 10:59.

#1776 Nick Planas

Nick Planas

• 112 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:58

Back in 1976 there was an excellent TV series based on Robert Graves' book "I, Claudius" about the Roman Emperor Claudius (no, really!)

I watched every episode in fascination whilst realising that 99% of the action was speculation, the BBC not having too many cameramen around in the Roman era to verify who said what to whom. I thought the whole thing was amazing, but one of my fathers friends somewhat spoilt it by complaining that the BBC had got the costumes wrong: "Everyone knows centurions wore a different shade of red" or some such detail. To which my response was - so what? It made for an excellent story, and also made me read more about Roman history. I wasn't looking for the series to be my factual education about the exact happenings and saying of the characters of the time.

There's a danger that we racing fans think non-racing fans (the paying cinema-goers) are the remotest bit interested in the finicky details of every race; whether the cars looked entirely realistic, whether James Hunt really beat up the journalist or puked before every race, etc etc. My daughter, who took me to see the race, was not the slightest bit perturbed that the British GP was glossed over, but she WAS interested enough to watch the programme about it on the BBC later on. If nothing else, the film will get people interested in the era, and maybe as a spin-off, the current era.

By all means, let's like it or dislike it, but if anyone thinks they can do a much better film based on a real F1 season; well, get on and show us then!

#1777 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,212 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:07

... I would like to know more about those Grandstand happenings, and the actual circumstances of Hesketh shutdown, if possible.

I only heard that Lady Hesketh (understandably) decided to put a stop to the financial disaster, but what else happened?

After Lord Hesketh realised he couldn’t go on funding the team as he had been doing, Hesketh ran on the proverbial shoestring for most of 1975. Apparently it was only by persuading the Dutch GP organisers to pay them their winning prize money straightaway that they were able to pay the wages bill and keep the team going. After a hunt for sponsorship which almost bore fruit a couple of times, most notably with Madame Rochas, Lord Hesketh called a press conference in early November to say that they needed a minimum of £300,000 (!) to carry on in a professional style. If backing was not forthcoming by 14th November the team would be wound up. This deadline came and went, and the following day Lord Hesketh was presented with his BARC Gold Star in front of BBC Grandstand TV cameras at a wet Thruxton race meeting. James did a few laps in the 308, and Hesketh made his impassioned appeal for support. This led to the switchboards at Thruxton and the BBC being swamped with calls from both business people and fans. There were then rumours that a deal with ‘a major company’ was on the point of being signed, but in the end this came to naught and the team was officially wound up.

#1778 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,881 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:16

Back in 1976 there was an excellent TV series based on Robert Graves' book "I, Claudius" about the Roman Emperor Claudius (no, really!)

I watched every episode in fascination whilst realising that 99% of the action was speculation, the BBC not having too many cameramen around in the Roman era to verify who said what to whom.

Clavdivs was based on Robert Graves' book, which in turn borrowed heavily from Suetonius, a sort of NOTW of Roman historians; however Suetonius did have excellent sources, as under Hadrian's reign he was the Imperial archivist.

One thing they got wrong though was that the Romans did not speak English.

#1779 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:31

Clavdivs was based on Robert Graves' book, which in turn borrowed heavily from Suetonius, a sort of NOTW of Roman historians; however Suetonius did have excellent sources, as under Hadrian's reign he was the Imperial archivist.

They didn't have English spelling either, don't you mean Svetonivs?

Advertisement

#1780 pressman

pressman

• 251 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:39

I watched every episode in fascination whilst realising that 99% of the action was speculation, the BBC not having too many cameramen around in the Roman era to verify who said what to whom. I thought the whole thing was amazing, but one of my fathers friends somewhat spoilt it by complaining that the BBC had got the costumes wrong: "Everyone knows centurions wore a different shade of red" or some such detail. To which my response was - so what? It made for an excellent story, and also made me read more about Roman history. I wasn't looking for the series to be my factual education about the exact happenings and saying of the characters of the time.

There's a danger that we racing fans think non-racing fans (the paying cinema-goers) are the remotest bit interested in the finicky details of every race; whether the cars looked entirely realistic, whether James Hunt really beat up the journalist or puked before every race, etc etc. My daughter, who took me to see the race, was not the slightest bit perturbed that the British GP was glossed over, but she WAS interested enough to watch the programme about it on the BBC later on. If nothing else, the film will get people interested in the era, and maybe as a spin-off, the current era.

By all means, let's like it or dislike it, but if anyone thinks they can do a much better film based on a real F1 season; well, get on and show us then!

I guess your correct,  I took two none motorsport fans with me  and they  loved it !

I just wish they had spent as much time and effort adding the truth as they did  adding  the same old Hollywood clichés.

I did think Chris Hemsworth as James Hunt  andDaniel Brühl as Niki Lauda  were both really good.

Cheers

Steve

#1781 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:46

I am about four episodes into watching I Clavdivs on You Tube.

I loved it back then and enjoy it no less now. It was great to see Patrick Stewart, with a full head of hair, although his execution of a member of Augustus' family did him no credit at all.

#1782 thiscocks

thiscocks

• 907 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:46

The restart and kerfuffle at Brands? Nothing. The fact and reason his helmet came off? Nothing. His races with March? Nothing. Building a new engine overnight out of titanium in a garage that is in a different country than the factory???

I dont think the brands stuff would have added anything. Even to an F1 fan I think that scenario was slightly confusing, and wouldnt have added much to the story. We already had the Spain incident so didnt really need the Brands aswel especially as he was given the win anyway.

I dont see how the helmet issue would have added anything, and the BRM garage, yeah its unrealistic but its just a way of telling us about the meticulous Lauda.

As a true story film I think its generally hard to fault. Anyone can nitpick little details, but its not a documentary its a film!

#1783 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 504 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:26

Not even the English (well, the Britons) spoke English...

#1784 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,881 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 13:40

I dont think the brands stuff would have added anything. Even to an F1 fan I think that scenario was slightly confusing, and wouldnt have added much to the story. We already had the Spain incident so didnt really need the Brands aswel especially as he was given the win anyway.

I was surprised they didn't do something to conflate the Brands issue with the Spain issue.  Like they win one and lose one.  Especially given that Ferrari, by protesting McLaren, effectively conceded that they had acted illegally in putting Regga back on the grid.

Also I was surprised they didn't make a bit more of the Italian stitch-up at Monza.

But only so much time.

#1785 timt1964

timt1964

• 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 20:40

hi all,ive seen rush twice and the first time i must have watched it with my nerdy head on because after the first half i found myself getting wound up that crystal palace was cadwell and brands is definitely not paul ricard!! now ive calmed down and realised that as a previous poster said "its a film not a documentary"!! i think daniel bruhl was better as niki lauda than chris hemsworth was as james hunt.shame they didnt make a mini series instead,maybe then they could have covered every bit of the drama of 76.

#1786 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 20:42

I do hope it makes it to Malta soon.

#1787 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 21:12

I do hope it makes it to Malta soon.

We're flying a few Spitfires off a carrier to help you with air defence, the convoy should be with you soon afterwards, but the oil tanker has been hit.

#1788 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:56

I have to include this review because it is so moronic. How dare they make a big budget movie that is not strictly aimed at the American market! As for the film, I'm probably the only one in here who hasn't seen it yet. But it is finally out here in Belgium, and I will try to see it this weekend. I'm a little apprehensive about it, because I have followed everything about it so closely and have such high expectations that I may be disappointed... :p

I suggest that when the world ends, all of you should make sure to be in Belgium, because everything happens a few weeks later here!

#1789 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 2,151 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 15:56

I suggest that when the world ends, all of you should make sure to be in Belgium, because everything happens a few weeks later here!

I thought that was in 2012? Damned, missed it!

#1790 Elwing

Elwing

• 192 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 16:02

I thought that was in 2012? Damned, missed it!

What it ended? I'm not surprised. Glad I live here, a little more time to spare and prepare!

#1791 Paolo

Paolo

• 1,673 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:08

I have to include this review because it is so moronic. How dare they make a big budget movie that is not strictly aimed at the American market! As for the film, I'm probably the only one in here who hasn't seen it yet. But it is finally out here in Belgium, and I will try to see it this weekend. I'm a little apprehensive about it, because I have followed everything about it so closely and have such high expectations that I may be disappointed... :p

I'll tell you, the title might be annoying, but the review is spot on.

#1792 kayemod

kayemod

• 7,136 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:24

I haven't seen the film, but from what I've read here, that seems like a very fair review to me as well. The writer is in the US, writing for US readers of a US newspaper, what would you expect?

#1793 Gabrci

Gabrci

• 435 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:46

I'll tell you, that is your opinion, which of course you are entitled to have, but the majority of this board will thoroughly disagree with it.

#1794 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,824 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 13:54

Finally caught it tonight...I think they have done both James and Nicki a disservice :rolleyes:  A lot of the whizz-bangery was so fast that you would have to put it on slo-mo to see what's going on...

Anyone spot the rusty old exhaust pipe maybe towards the end....

[edit: think they have also done Lord Hesketh a disservice by portraying him and his team as unprofessional, everything I have read points to them being very serious about the development of the car.  The fact that they brought a little pizzaz and one-up manship with lobster and champagne is by the by]

Edited by 275 GTB-4, 05 October 2013 - 21:05.

#1795 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,033 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:33

I'll tell you, that is your opinion, which of course you are entitled to have, but the majority of this board will thoroughly disagree with it.

Gabrci, I'm not so sure.  I saw the film ten days ago with my 20 year old son; he loved it, I thought it was OK, no more, and ten days later I still feel dissatisfied, especially since watching a documentary on the 1976 season.

The problem for some of us with experience of the time, and interest in motor racing history, and in old film footage, is that we like the 'real' thing.  However much enthusiastic effort a film production team makes, the artificiality of storyline, script, actor performances and racing scenes makes it very hard to satisfy motor sport enthusiasts who have some knowledge of the period.  

This may be irrelevant in the big scheme of things, given the need for the film to appeal to a wider public.  The 'they got it wrong!' debate must feature in specialist discussion forums (fora?) for many films: Jane Austen adaptations; Titanic; Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy; Brideshead Revisited; JFK etc..  It just happens that TNF has many people of a certain age, (some with a great interest in detail and facts), film, interviews and specialist magazines still exist, and 1976 isn't that long ago.  I sound miserable and unappreciative but tend to agree with the american reviewer in asking whether it was all worthwhile; thoughtful use of real footage, and historical media of all sorts, plus modern-day interviews with remaining protagonists, journalists and others could have achieved something more satisfying. Just my opinion.

Edited by john winfield, 06 October 2013 - 09:36.

#1796 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:54

But that wouldn't have attracted the regular cinema-goers who just want to be entertained.   :)   

#1797 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,033 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:42

But that wouldn't have attracted the regular cinema-goers who just want to be entertained.   :)   

I'm not sure Barry. Take the documentary interviews I've seen with Alastair Caldwell and Daniele Audetto, extend them a little, build up the tension, remove the on-stage partition and set them at each other's throats, possibly in a cage. Film gold.

But seriously....you're right of course, as I tried to say. It just happens that some of the most dramatic footage in Rush was the 'real thing': Brambilla's spin at Fuji for example.  The 1976 season was so dramatic that I could imagine 20-25 minutes of authentic footage just from Brands Hatch could form part of a genuinely gripping film, attracting both a general and a specialist audience. The track/racing scenes culled from contemporary footage would, not surprisingly, be more authentic and convincing than even the best attempts made by the Rush team.

Edited by john winfield, 06 October 2013 - 14:40.

#1798 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 10,825 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:44

I admire your optimism, John, but I seriously doubt whether your feelings are correct.

I hope to see the film if it ever gets to Malta.

#1799 pressman

pressman

• 251 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 13:43

Is  there any truth that Ron Howards next project is" THE CONNEW STORY" ?

Who would play you Barry ? :wave:

Cheers

Steve

Advertisement

#1800 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 20:09

Went and watched it for a second time last night.

I enjoyed it again, yep some silly bits like Hunt beating up the reporter, the missing spark plugs in the internal engine shots etc but all in all to see and hear those cars again after all these years was fantastic.

I am surprised no one has commented about the headless driver scene, sure the helmet rolling along on its own was cut but it still clearly shows a headless bloodied corpse strapped into the car.

I did find myself trying to spot the replica M23 from the real deal and managed to on a few occasions. The front tie bar where it goes into the bodywork was the giveaway, the cut out section is bigger on the real deal, saying that I still want the one coming up for auction on Tuesday.