Photo

The forthcoming Lauda-Hunt movie 'Rush'

• Please log in to reply
1977 replies to this topic

#151 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 12,484 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 09:53

Don't know if our email had anything to do with this article but...
http://www.motorspor...o...-in-‘rush’/

Jp

Edited by jonpollak, 15 February 2012 - 09:54.

Advertisement

#152 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,382 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:25

So there is another movie project about Lauda?

Just like buses. You wait 35 years for one to arrive and then two appear....

This does happen a lot with Hollywood, there were two movies about Trueman Capote made at the same time a few years ago, not to mention the 'new version' of Robin Hood which appears almost every year...

Back in 1992 there were at least three films made about Columbus, I seem to recall. Maybe more?

Dante's Peak and Volcano (1997)
The Truman Show and EdTv (98/99)
Armageddon and Deep Impact (1998)
A Bugs Life and Antz (1998)
Mission to Mars and Red Planet (2000)
The Illusionist and The Prestige (2006)

etc

#153 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 15:34

USGP East 1976

Posted Image

Copyright JAG

If they had made this three years ago I had one of Niki's AGV X1 helmets. I was given it to use many years ago, hated it (the Nomex was crushed up against you mouth and when it got damp smelt awful) and retired it. Never got around to getting it sprayed in my own colours and removed the stickers on the side to reveal the words "Niki Lauda". I sent Niki some pictures and he confirmed it, but sadly I parted company with it three years ago. Of course had Niki actually used it I would still have it, but it was just one of a batch he never used. My guess is a modern helmet with grow a scoop!

Posted Image

Edited by f1steveuk, 15 February 2012 - 15:37.

#154 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,283 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:23

http://twitter.com/#!/RealRonHoward/st...9829632/photo/1

PAR

#155 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:34

My guess is a modern helmet with grow a scoop!
Posted Image

Ron Howard has proudly posted a Hunt & Lauda replica on his Twitter page...

Slight problem - someone has sold them the idea two of the "new" old style Bell Stars are the thing to use...complete with Hans clips
For those that don't know - Lauda only wore the infamous X1 in 76. It's not as if "someone" hasn't got access to (pause to count) 3 or 4...

#156 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:50

Ron Howard has proudly posted a Hunt & Lauda replica on his Twitter page...

Slight problem - someone has sold them the idea two of the "new" old style Bell Stars are the thing to use...complete with Hans clips
For those that don't know - Lauda only wore the infamous X1 in 76. It's not as if "someone" hasn't got access to (pause to count) 3 or 4...

3 or 4, blimey, are you breeding them Mike!!??

I can understand "any old film" thinking that a New/old Bell might do, but as the film is going to be about 1976, and feature the tussle between Hunt and Lauda, and that part of that story is Niki's accident, and a crucial part of that accident is his helmet's singular failing to protect it's user, by being several feet away from him at the time of ignition, it suddenly becomes a massive error, and one unlikely to please Bell very much!!

Edited by f1steveuk, 16 February 2012 - 12:51.

#157 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 13:27

3 or 4, blimey, are you breeding them Mike!!??

I can understand "any old film" thinking that a New/old Bell might do, but as the film is going to be about 1976, and feature the tussle between Hunt and Lauda, and that part of that story is Niki's accident, and a crucial part of that accident is his helmet's singular failing to protect it's user, by being several feet away from him at the time of ignition, it suddenly becomes a massive error, and one unlikely to please Bell very much!!

Absolutely & extremely well put Steve - someone that does have an influence should be told - Caldwell is working on it - anyone know him?

Here's another point - I bet the Marlboro police haven't picked up on this film yet. They do get really funny about their brand being shown these days. See attempt (documented on TNF for bikes) in NZ to revive the Swann/Marlboro motorcycle series from the late 70's as a Revival type meeting. Threatening Lawyers saying you will not mention the word Marl...on pain of action

X1 - 2 with me, one of which is residing, as it were & 2 or 3 in Germany (funnily enough based very near the "green hell")

#158 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 13:48

X1 - 2 with me, one of which is residing, as it were & 2 or 3 in Germany (funnily enough based very near the "green hell")

Good point, added to which is how do you cover the rest of the season with Marl....JPS etc etc all over the cars when I think tobacco advertising isn't allowed???

Mike, was it just me, or did the chin foam and Nomex really stink on those X1s, I know the scoop never did a thing!

#159 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,605 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 13:53

Hear hear.

The Hunt helmet is rubbish too; it shows a complete lack of understanding of how & why his colours (and thus name) were applied to the small-eye port Bell he switched to in the early part of '76. Logo sizes wrong too.

The Lauda one isn't even a replica of his '76 helmet - it's a poor shot at his '75 version!

:evil:

Advertisement

#160 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 14:22

Mike, was it just me, or did the chin foam and Nomex really stink on those X1s, I know the scoop never did a thing!

Must have just been yours :lol:

#161 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 14:22

#162 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 14:38

EeeeeK!

#163 roger.daltrey

roger.daltrey

• 51 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:24

Perhaps if there is an issue with the helmet being used in the film, and a good reason to have the correct one (as mentioned in this thread) a tweet to Mr H indicating that together with a # tag so we can all find and retweet so the production crew gets the message ?

Just an idea.

Although to be fair, if you've read the tweets (@RealRonHoward) he is super serious about getting it right - and for £80m I guess you'd argue he should be !!

#164 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 18:34

Wont be me, I don't Tweet!!

#165 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:04

Perhaps if there is an issue with the helmet being used in the film, and a good reason to have the correct one (as mentioned in this thread) a tweet to Mr H indicating that together with a # tag so we can all find and retweet so the production crew gets the message ?

Just an idea.

Although to be fair, if you've read the tweets (@RealRonHoward) he is super serious about getting it right - and for £80m I guess you'd argue he should be !!

This has been tried several times

#166 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 864 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:17

Hear hear.

The Hunt helmet is rubbish too; it shows a complete lack of understanding of how & why his colours (and thus name) were applied to the small-eye port Bell he switched to in the early part of '76. Logo sizes wrong too.

The Lauda one isn't even a replica of his '76 helmet - it's a poor shot at his '75 version!

:evil:

I so wish this film to be better than I fear it will be. May guess its not gonna happen. A truly good and authentic film I mean.

#167 MCS

MCS

• 3,521 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:29

I so wish this film to be better than I fear it will be. May guess its not gonna happen. A truly good and authentic film I mean.

I am sure your fears are shared by many on here...

Let's hope we are proved wrong.

#168 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,565 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:33

Just an idea.

I've tweeted @RealRonHoward as suggested, but I have no idea how tweet works so if you want to retweet you can find me at @arttidesco

#169 PCC

PCC

• 443 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 20:16

At the risk of being heretical, I would suggest that it could be a high quality film even if the helmets aren't quite right.

#170 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 20:28

At the risk of being heretical, I would suggest that it could be a high quality film even if the helmets aren't quite right.

You might think or hope that is the case, but if you suspend our "informed" knowledge that a very distinctive shaped helmet played a part in the original drama. Then I'd suggest asking Niki Lauda if it was insignificant that his helmet came off and contributed to his injuries...

#171 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 864 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 20:40

I would suggest that it could be a high quality film even if the helmets aren't quite right.

I think one either gets all the things right or one don't, its not that bloody difficult its purely a matter of choice and commitment.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with all things Ferrari and Marlboro. And I'd hate to see any sign of Avons...

I wish it to become all it could be, but it all depends on what the makers want it to be.

#172 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 21:00

I think one either gets all the things right or one don't, its not that bloody difficult its purely a matter of choice and commitment.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with all things Ferrari and Marlboro. And I'd hate to see any sign of Avons...

I wish it to become all it could be, but it all depends on what the makers want it to be.

You said that word - M**lb*r* :eek: In the day tobacco promotion was so overt, maximum exposure & now there are laws about it. Perhaps everyone watching at a Cinema will be issued with a health warning :smoking:

#173 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 1,533 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 21:08

Here's another point - I bet the Marlboro police haven't picked up on this film yet. They do get really funny about their brand being shown these days.

Ron Howard is no dummy. I'd be shocked to learn that his film company legal department hasn't investigated this issue.

#174 CSquared

CSquared

• 603 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 22:48

Choice, commitment, and money and resources. And I'd bet it's extremely difficult. They're going to get a lot of things "wrong." They're not going to have the entire grid perfectly recreated for every race, and if they film at the Nordschleife some of the trees in the background will not be as they were in 1976. It appears some have already set their expectations so that this film will disappoint no matter what.

I'm sure we'd all agree that the more important things are the script, the dialogue, and the acting. We've got Ron Howard, Peter Morgan, and Niki Lauda on the job with, I'd imagine, a $100+ million budget. I doubt we'll get a better chance for a good motorsport film for decades. But then there I go with the high expectations again ... :)

#175 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 12,484 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 23:09

But then there I go with the high expectations again ... :)
:up:

Might I 'clink' that half full glass of yours with mine?

Jp

#176 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,113 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 00:28

http://www.forum-aut...295270-2520.htm

One guy here has a great Lauda replica.

#177 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 864 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:56

http://twitter.com/#!/RealRonHoward/st...3636353/photo/1

Is that a shell of a virgin M23 in the transporter?

Helmets look good :up:

PAR

As for the Lauda helmet, it looks not good. He used his usual Bell Star (the one with the much larger visor opening than this replica) for the first 4 races of the year but that did not feature AGV logo's and had the NIKI LAUDA name much higher on the sides. Also, on the front, above the virsor it had a very large Römerquello logo which doesn't seem to be there on the Howard picture. The AGV he started using from round 5 onwards also had that Römerquelle very large on the front. So whether this helmet is supposed to be a copy of Lauda's early season Bell or some sort of AGV wannabe, it is actually neither. But I am sure they will have all the other details right :)

#178 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,283 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:51

I am sure an astronaut could have found fault with the flight deck of Apollo 13.......however in my ignorance I thought it was a superb film

Let's see what the film it is like before we write it off?

PAR

#179 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:27

Ron Howard is no dummy. I'd be shocked to learn that his film company legal department hasn't investigated this issue.

I'm not "dissing" it at all but I wonder if the legal department has asked Bell helmets if they mind if the film suggests to the layman that Niki's injuries may have been caused in part by one of their products, and not by someone elses? As I said earlier, it is actually pivitol to the plot, be it documentry or drama. I don't say this fom a position of ignorance either, I have worked in film, television, documentries and Formula One for many years, and the legal ramifications can be huge.

Again, from this position I know how hard it can be to be accurate, you see the problem, you tell the production crew and there's "none in exsistance, no more money and we're out of time", but from the budget available the cost of adding a styrofoam outer shell with a scoop on the top is peanuts!!!

I'm looking forward to it, and will know before sitting down it will never be 100%, timescales have to be shrunk, locations changed etc, but thhe helmet, in this case is absolutely fundemental to the story, nothing less.

If you ever want to see how it should be done I recommend Telstar, the Joe Meek Story. Those that Meek worked with were in it as cameo appearances, but added to the script until portions were near word for word. His original equipment was used, even the original tour bus was used in one scene, it's a masterpiece in research and accuracy, even though timelines had to be contracted etc On the other side of the coin I worked on "Across The Lake" a docu/drama of the last record attempt of Donald Campbell. The BBC were offered the original E type and the original Jetstar boat, but said it wasn't worth the insurance, and then commisioned an inaccurate full size model of Bluebird K7 to twist the knife!!

Advertisement

#180 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,565 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:44

Again, from this position I know how hard it can be to be accurate, you see the problem, you tell the production crew and there's "none in exsistance, no more money and we're out of time", but from the budget available the cost of adding a styrofoam outer shell with a scoop on the top is peanuts!!!

Although none of my film work has any kind of production budget, I couldn't agree more, for the tiny cost of getting it right, I'd be mighty miffed if I found out afterwards that I'd got the helmet wrong and all the anoraks were laughing because they said so all along.

SOT, surprisingly Niki continued to use the same type of helmet after the accident, so he must have had some faith in it.

#181 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 341 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:58

I am sure an astronaut could have found fault with the flight deck of Apollo 13.......however in my ignorance I thought it was a superb film

Let's see what the film it is like before we write it off?

PAR

+1 :up:

#182 racer8888

racer8888

• 49 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:04

Except Hunt's 911 was an RSR!

http://www.motorspor...ra-rs-for-sale/

There was also a "regular" 2.7 RS which he drove a lot

http://jelenek.blogs...ll-real-rs.html

I remember reading a magazine article recently that had period photos of JH standing beside the RS (it was white)

#183 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 738 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:38

I'm looking forward to it, and will know before sitting down it will never be 100%, timescales have to be shrunk, locations changed etc, but thhe helmet, in this case is absolutely fundemental to the story, nothing less. On the other side of the coin I worked on "Across The Lake" a docu/drama of the last record attempt of Donald Campbell. The BBC were offered the original E type and the original Jetstar boat, but said it wasn't worth the insurance, and then commisioned an inaccurate full size model of Bluebird K7 to twist the knife!!

Hi Steve,

I suppose it may also be a question - however much we may wish otherwise - of creating something that fits well with a general audience's expectations and awareness of events. The image that always jarred with me on "Across the Lake" was of the registration DC7 on the E-Type! Then again, that was Tony Maylam / BBC and, I suppose, a very tight budget. In this case, it's a Ron Howard film with perhaps a greater chance of historical as well as dramatic accuracy. Given his track record (sorry, pun not intended), I'm looking forward to this film.

As an aside, although these issues are being discussed here, is anyone contributing these comments and offers of assistance to Ron Howard and his team?

Edited by Pullman99, 17 February 2012 - 10:39.

#184 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:45

As an aside, although these issues are being discussed here, is anyone contributing these comments and offers of assistance to Ron Howard and his team?

You don't have to read many posts back to see that they are offering...

#185 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:30

You don't have to read many posts back to see that they are offering...

As you say it's been tried...the lights are on...

& for Arti "Niki continued to use the same type of helmet after the accident, so he must have had some faith in it."

They re-located the position of the rivets that fixed the straps further back on the shell.

#186 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:38

SOT, surprisingly Niki continued to use the same type of helmet after the accident, so he must have had some faith in it.

I'm sure Mike will know better on this than me, but I'd guess Niki's continued use of the X1 was a] contractual, and b] The X1 only came in one shell size, it was the padding that changed in size (hence why mine was SO thick and pressed against my mouth). After Niki's accident, I'd guess to give him a little relief, it was possible to reduce the padding a little. Again, and to balance this, it was this very fact (single size shell, adjustable padding) that lead to it coming off in the first place. I NEVER felt safe in mine, but I, like Emerson Fittipaldi, Alex Ribeiro, Ingo Hoffman and Vittorio Brambilla, got caught up in the "current fashion" element of it I'm sure, same as when I saw the first Simpson RX8, I HAD to have one!!

Yes Ian "DC 7", from memory it was the production company over egging the pudding.

As for Rush, it would be very easy to get caught up in the minutae, because we're passionate about it. To "Joe Public" it's "Days of Thunder", a film with a story, just one that happens to be heavily based on fact, and facts. And fact is, had Niki not been wearing a AGV X1, it's possible he would have not been sitting in a burning car at all, or if he had, been slightly better protected. If I was working for Bell, and saw the film, and the show a errant helmet, which looks a lot like one of mine, my first thought would be, "I wonder how many sales we just lost?"

#187 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:39

& for Arti "Niki continued to use the same type of helmet after the accident, so he must have had some faith in it."

They re-located the position of the rivets that fixed the straps further back on the shell.

See, I said you'd know better, I didn't know that!!

#188 adamcooperf1

adamcooperf1

• 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:57

Guys, don't worry, they know what they are doing and it's all under control. If you've seen HANS studs as I understand it they are obliged to use those for driving sequences for obvious reasons. Remember a lot of the time these helmets will only be used in action sequences.

#189 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:11

Guys, don't worry, they know what they are doing and it's all under control.

Tobacco branding ? Adam

#190 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:33

Guys, don't worry, they know what they are doing and it's all under control. If you've seen HANS studs as I understand it they are obliged to use those for driving sequences for obvious reasons. Remember a lot of the time these helmets will only be used in action sequences.

That worries me Adam, "we'll use these smooth Bell helmets for the action shots, and for the close ups Niki's will grow a scoop" :lol:

#191 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,605 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:35

See, I said you'd know better, I didn't know that!!

Your comments were also the case as well as Mike's point re the strap.

There's an amazing shot from Monza where you can clearly see the helmet has rotated laterally round his head by some considerable margin!

#192 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 864 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:50

Your comments were also the case as well as Mike's point re the strap.

There's an amazing shot from Monza where you can clearly see the helmet has rotated laterally round his head by some considerable margin!

For Monza quite some padding was removed from Lauda's X1 to avoid it rubbing against what was left of his badly wounded and still highly sensative ear.

#193 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,283 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 18:08

http://twitter.com/#!/RealRonHoward/st...7743616/photo/1

Looks good to me :)

PAR

#194 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,366 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 18:15

For Monza quite some padding was removed from Lauda's X1 to avoid it rubbing against what was left of his badly wounded and still highly sensative ear.

I think your letting yourself get way too distracted; don't lose the plot.

#195 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,366 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 20:31

I think your letting yourself get way too distracted; don't lose the plot.

Does AGV still make the helmet? NO apparently not. So to make a custom one off would be mega expensive. Just a thought...

Edited by David M. Kane, 17 February 2012 - 20:31.

#196 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,100 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:16

Does AGV still make the helmet? NO apparently not. So to make a custom one off would be mega expensive. Just a thought...

It's a film, it would cost peanuts. Jack Lovell produced twelve "Victorian" fireman helmets in fibreglass (brass powder in the gelcoat that polished up and looked very very real) and that cost £8000.

For this film you'd get a standard Bell helmet an put a Styrofoam cover over it, I know, because I've done it (well a production company I was working for did). It looked 100% genuine up until a foot away, and even came off afterwards and hadn't damaged the helmet underneath, although I wouldn't have used it. Cost (in 1985) £80.

Failing that, there are a few about, some even painted up as replicas.

My last word on it would be, the helmet is critical to the story, not just historical accuracy, and any failure to ensure they use the right one in the film will be pure laziness, and there'll be a lot more said about it after the film comes out!

#197 Formula Once

Formula Once

• 864 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:26

My last word on it would be, the helmet is critical to the story, not just historical accuracy, and any failure to ensure they use the right one in the film will be pure laziness, and there'll be a lot more said about it after the film comes out!

Exactly.

#198 mfd

mfd

• 2,839 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:16

No AGV don't make it anymore but there's a man (I know) in Germany who has made the moulds & recreated the Shell, along with the interior etc. However I think the problem is more related to liabilities and the need to use a valid safety helmet.

#199 BRG

BRG

• 11,066 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:26

It's a film, it would cost peanuts. Jack Lovell produced twelve "Victorian" fireman helmets in fibreglass (brass powder in the gelcoat that polished up and looked very very real) and that cost £8000.

For this film you'd get a standard Bell helmet an put a Styrofoam cover over it, I know, because I've done it (well a production company I was working for did). It looked 100% genuine up until a foot away, and even came off afterwards and hadn't damaged the helmet underneath, although I wouldn't have used it. Cost (in 1985) £80.

Failing that, there are a few about, some even painted up as replicas.

True, the SX boys can work wonders, but today, they could just CGI it?

Advertisement

#200 PCC

PCC

• 443 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 13:53

My last word on it would be, the helmet is critical to the story...

I don't agree. The helmet is no more critical to the narrative arc of the film than the steering column was to Senna. It's critical to what happened on 1 August 1976, but I expect the film will be less concerned with the actual causes of Niki's injuries than with the human drama of how they transformed the season and his life.

I'll be mildly disappointed if they get the helmet wrong, but if the script, direction and acting are all great, the helmet won't spoil it for me. And if they're not, an accurate helmet won't save it.