Which grandstand for Melbourne GP?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:50

Hi everyone,

I've just moved to Melbourne so I'm definitely going to the Grand Prix this year. I'm just about to book my tickets and will have to go for one of the cheaper grandstand options, which are Senna, Clark, Waite, Schumacher or Webber.

I'm leaning towards Waite because the cars must look great though turns 11/12, but are the viewings on the screen and photography opportunities good?

I was also thinking of either Schumacher or Webber as they're at the final corner, but I guess the sun will be setting opposite? Or am I wrong there?

Let me know what you guys think! Also let me know if anyone else is planning to go, as I'm on my tod this year so it would be good to have a meet up if a few forumers are going.

Cheers for any help.

Advertisement

#2 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,343 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:58

G'day Kristian

I occupied the Clark stand 3 or 4 years in a row a while back, I particularly enjoyed one year on a Saturday in free practice the wind was not coming from the prevailing direction, quite a few drivers were getting caught out in their braking distances and ended up in the kitty litter. I think it was either Hakkinen's first championship year, or the year before, memory is a bit fuzzy, but he was certainly indecently quick, on rails all weekend - I don't recall whether he won the GP, unless he had problems, he would have coasted home!!!

Cheers

James

Edited by SJ Lambert, 30 January 2012 - 08:33.

#3 karne

karne

• 2,040 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:20

I've had Four Corners the last couple of times I've been, and had Clark on the Saturday. It's a pretty awesome spot to watch the cars come through! But all your photos will have fence in them.

#4 clipper

clipper

• 825 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:19

G'day Kristian

I occupied the Clark stand 3 or 4 years in a row a while back, I particularly enjoyed one year on a Saturday in free practice the wind was not coming from the prevailing direction, quite a few drivers were getting caught out in their braking distances and ended up in the kitty litter. I think it was either Hakkinen's first championship year, or the year before, memory is a bit fuzzy, but he was certainly indecently quick, on rails all weekend - I do't recall whether he won the GP, unless he had problems, he woud have coasted home!!!

Cheers

James

1999, first time I went!

Clark stand is great!

#5 Kristian

Kristian

• 4,365 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 14:33

Cheers guys!

I walked the track the other day and plumped for Senna in the end, as I realised it won't be facing the sunset and I can probably get some good shots too compared to the other corners. Also the last corner is known for the odd drama.

#6 f1oversussex

f1oversussex

• 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 16:21

I was in Melbourne in 2009 and sat in Jones (turn 1) on race day and didnt really rate the view. On Saturday I was in Clark and found it to be superior in every way. If you are a photographer then I would say this would be the best place for you!