• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:39

Liam Doran goes for Pikes peak next year in a 900hp RS200
http://www.pistonhea...p?storyId=25010

Who else is attending and what car are they racing and most importantly.. what have they done to their car.

Personally im very eager to hear news about the Paul dallenbach car.

Advertisement

#2 David1976

David1976

• 1,638 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:35

The car looks mega. I didn't know it is going to be a tarmac event this year.

That is a shame as I always thought half of the mystique of Pikes Peak was the mix of surfaces.

#3 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:07

nice on-board video
On-Board Chip Yates’s Electric Superbike at Pikes Peak

#4 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,998 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:31

The car looks mega. I didn't know it is going to be a tarmac event this year.

That is a shame as I always thought half of the mystique of Pikes Peak was the mix of surfaces.

I thought only more of the circuit was to be tarmac with some of the top still gravel ?

#5 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,998 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:32

Who else is attending and what car are they racing and most importantly.. what have they done to their car.

Talking of attending, anyone ever go ? Looks like an awesome event with some very exotic race cars.

#6 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:21

Talking of attending, anyone ever go ? Looks like an awesome event with some very exotic race cars.

Im assuming i used the wrong word. Sorry about that.

But yes it is probably a great event to be a spectator at.

#7 ClaudioMuse

ClaudioMuse

• 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:17

:)

http://director.usac...etitor_list.pdf

#8 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:27

What a shame that Pikes Peak became an all tarmac event :|

#9 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 32,998 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:49

Good thing Tajima got under 10 minutes last year on the old course so

#10 wrighty

wrighty

• 3,794 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 13:42

ooo Mark Rennison listed as number 200 in the Unlim section..... nice to see he's still wringing RS necks for fun :)

#11 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 14:32

He was supposed to attend in 2011 too but no one heard from him.

Thanks for the competitor list. im guessing it will get updated closer to the race. The Mark Rennison RS200 got some 900hp too but with the added fun of NOS. there is articles on the car. (google)

There is also listed a Cody Loveland who is attending in unlimited with a NSX. does anyone know anything about him and the car?

The entry list is closed after 31 of january. So i hope we get to se Paul Dallenbach and Monster back on track.

Rhys Millen is attending and so is Rod with rhys hyundai.

#12 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 16:03

:up:

It was pretty much the last chance to do so...

#13 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 10,082 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 16:10

It will still be an awesome event as a tarmac hillclimb, and even in recent years it's been partly paved, so more of the Vatanen fireworks and gravel flying through those bends. Sad I know, but maybe now we'll see single-seaters and the like take on the hill!?!

#14 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 16:27

i remmber hearing they tarmac'ed it for cleaner water run off. and im thinking, well isnt the mountain made of dirt?

if its all tarmac then they can grab a bunch of time with slick tyres too

#15 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 18:19

Pikes peak will grow to be bigger than before with the all tarmac track. Now most track cars can enter the race. That means a huge increase in potensial competitiors. Espesially since its in the US where there seems to be a whole lot of different race classes in onroad.

#16 BellisEndis

BellisEndis

• 163 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:52

yeah but still most of the road was paved last year.. Every year it got more and more paved, and that had nothing to do with water run off more so making a proper road for tourists to get up the mountain.

Edited by BellisEndis, 15 January 2012 - 01:53.

#17 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:02

http://speedhunters....port-rs200.aspx

More pictures of the RS200. It has a EDB even. i hope it beats Rhys Millen. That would be hillarious.

#18 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:45

Oh and i forgot to mention that Petter Solberg was supposed to attend.

Do not find it likely that he will be a contender with whats probably a converted Rally/rallycross car. Will probably be to heavy. But i would not mind having some onboards of that.

https://www.urbanrac...w...?a=4621&z=2

Edited by MatsNorway, 16 January 2012 - 10:50.

#19 GBarclay

GBarclay

• 178 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 18:19

yeah but still most of the road was paved last year.. Every year it got more and more paved, and that had nothing to do with water run off more so making a proper road for tourists to get up the mountain.

In the early 1990's the Sierra Club sued the city of Colorado Springs, and the road being paved is a direct result of that lawsuit. It was about the water (and sediment) runoff from the road getting into the streams. The last of the paving project was completed in Aug 2011, and thus 2012 will be the first year that features an entirely paved race course.

While many predicted that a fully paved course would be the demise of the event, the record number of entries received is testament to (worldwide) interest in this race. The board has had to revise the entry date to Jan 31st, and there will be a qualifying procedure introduced for the race for 2012. This is the first time since the late 1970's that there has been a need to limit the entry level. There has been a 115% qualy rule in place for many years, but to my knowledge, it has never been enforced.

Advertisement

#20 GBarclay

GBarclay

• 178 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 18:48

More pictures of the RS200. It has a EDB even. i hope it beats Rhys Millen. That would be hillarious.

unless Rhys experiences mechanical issues, I seriously doubt that Mr Doran will even come close. It amuses me no end to see a succession of experienced racers who think they can show up and beat everyone to the top of the mountain. Anyone who has raced at Pikes Peak knows the challenge is the mountain itself, not necessarily the other competitors in class.

We saw the Rallycross based Ford's (with no less a driver than M Gronholm) arrive a few years ago, and tell the whole world they were going to conquer the mountain, only to leave after the mountain humbled them, and they have not returned since.

The Doran's should read the rule book thoroughly before presenting for tech, as there are a number of issues I can spot from the pictures that may not be to the liking of the tech guys. Also Carbon F1 brakes, really? why? Hello Engineers Corner!!

Hopefully Liam drove up Pikes Peak in 2011 when he was at the Global Rallycross Event at Pikes Peak Raceway, that may prepare him somewhat for the challenge ahead of him. Also hope that the Doran entry has already been submitted and paid for, and that the committee selects his entry, otherwise all this braggadocio will be for naught. If Mr Doran was serious about this, he would have entered to take part in the only testing available on the mountain, but I don't see him listed. Don't forget, race day is the easiest part of Pikes Peak, it is the killer schedule during race week that usually results in mistakes and error's.

To me the really cool thing about Pikes Peak and the Unlimited class is the almost total lack of rules. Submit a car that passes safety, and virtually anything else goes. If Monster does not show (and really, what can he hope to prove in 2012?) my money will be on JP Dayraut in the Dacia, they really showed very well in their rookie year, and are quite capable of taking the overall victory.

Best of luck to all entrants, but my money is on experience and guile, not on a rookie with some energy drink money. I'd like to see Paul Dellenbach have some good luck for a change, he has certainly paid his dues on the mountain

Those of you wanting to spectate, my advice is to make sure you catch at least one of the practice / qualy days, you will see a lot more, and be off the mountain at a reasonable time. Also make sure you catch FanFest in downtown Colorado Springs on Friday evening. And pay attention if you are visiting the area for the first time, the race starts at over 9000 feet, and while it may be July you can experience all 4 seasons in the space of an hour. The altitude is no joke either.

#21 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 19:48

The car Gronholm showed up in was a joke. must have been in the 1200kg+ and probably no more that 5-600hp. AND he had a co pilot..

The RS200 of Doran is much much more competitive. Probably 1000kg or less and 900hp.

It should be on par with the Dacia duster. Excellently buildt car that one btw.

Lians time will hurt from hes lack of experience but i think the car is a great build and should be plenty fast.

The F1 Ceramic brakes is probably needed. When monster was done last year everything on the car was boiling.

My favorite is Paul Dallenbach but i have not heard anything about them attending.

I hope Solberg makes a car that is good enough to come back. as the link says its a tube frame car. so making it as light as a RS200 should be possible.

Whe got some serious engine tuners in norway so i hope he makes some proper hp figures. 800hp+ is needed to be competitive i think.

Edited by MatsNorway, 16 January 2012 - 19:59.

#22 DrProzac

DrProzac

• 2,405 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 21:21

I wonder what's with the endplate design? Do some rules mandate it? It's nothing new, but I always though its due to the rules not allowing a normal multi stage wing on it's full span.
With such high AoA the endplate section of the wing should experience flow separation etc, shouldn't it? Or do the proximity of the dual (let's call it) endplates prevent this? The AoA is lower than on the main section, but still it's high.

The car Gronholm showed up in was a joke. must have been in the 1200kg+ and probably no more that 5-600hp. AND he had a co pilot..

And IIRC he had some problems with his turbocharger

Edited by DrProzac, 16 January 2012 - 21:23.

#23 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 21:35

Hopefully we get to see these guys show up.

http://www.youtube.c...-JUt5GR4#t=437s

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related
http://www.youtube.c...;feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.c...665uL_fxg#t=52s

#24 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 21:38

With such high AoA the endplate section of the wing should experience flow separation etc, shouldn't it?

if you mean the outer part with only one section.. yea looks a bit steep. edit: actually it is more of a extention of the orginal spoiler. Its lower section is not in the "clean" air.
The aero seems a bit down prioritied. But they have slapped on a lot and thats better than nothing.

It could be that it get aero updates prior to the race. isnt the race in june or something?

The diffuser is wierd looking too.

Edited by MatsNorway, 16 January 2012 - 21:43.

#25 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:36

http://director.usac...etitor_list.pdf

Updated list.

Paul Dallenbach is on it. So is Mark Rennison.

And there is a very interesting entrant by the name of David Donner. Hes going to run a Palatov D4

I searched for it and found this:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Bike powered.

#26 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:32

All I can say is Palatov/DPCars are in for a rude shock when they go and play with the big boys.

The big announcement (already made on facebook) - we are officially moving forward with the Pikes Peak Quest. David Donner will drive our D4 Turbo on the mountain in July in the Unlimited class, going for the overall win. Go big or go home, right? :) The competition is sure to be intense so we have our work cut out for us. Needless to say the car will have to be something special to take on Tajima, Millen and other top contenders, especially since our budget is nowhere near theirs. We're looking at a number of aero options, upgraded drivetrain choices and so on. There are some rules-driven rollcage mods too but I pretty much have them figured out already (reality: safety trumps style when you're faced with sheer cliffs and rocks). It will be a fun journey and will be documented on the sponsors-only blog. Yes, sorry, if you want to track our progress you'll have to join the Quest - we don't exactly want to announce everything we're doing to the whole world, yet. And, well, we can use all the support we can get :)

#27 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:44

if its all tarmac then they can grab a bunch of time with slick tyres too

It's not as simple as that, as the dirt goes asphalt comes for sure but the road narrows a lot so balance is kept - remember Millen ran a 10.04 many years ago with a lot more dirt sections than last years 10.01.

#28 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 13:41

The car rod millen had is probably competitive even today if you just give it some tiny tweaks.

Edited by MatsNorway, 18 January 2012 - 14:43.

#29 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 14:48

The car rod millen had is probably competitive even today if you just give it some tiny tweaks.

All I can say is Palatov/DPCars are in for a rude shock when they go and play with the big boys.

I think its really cool that they do it. Even if they end up far behind its still a great way to promote your car. And i think a turbo powered hayabusa engine in that thing could make it go at least as fast as the Turbo NSX that is going. I have not seen the NSX mind you..

Edit:

Found info on it. 4WD and 4-500hp hayabusa and it should be pretty fast.
http://www.palatov.com/cars/d4.html

Edited by MatsNorway, 18 January 2012 - 15:09.

#30 Andy35

Andy35

• 4,823 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 15:16

Actually that was not the old course, they had already added more tarmac before last years event, so that 10 minutes doesn't really count in my book.

Andy

#31 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 20:00

Found info on it. 4WD and 4-500hp hayabusa and it should be pretty fast.

500 hp from 1300cc turbo'charged is a lot more difficult to drive than 500hp from a big V6 or V8 and it has a very crude 4WD system.

That combined with a 68" wheelbase and first time there .....

#32 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 21:17

500 hp from 1300cc turbo'charged is a lot more difficult to drive than 500hp from a big V6 or V8 and it has a very crude 4WD system.

That combined with a 68" wheelbase and first time there .....

This David Donner guy is not new to pikes peak. He used to race in the open wheel category. did Daytona 24hr. Sounds big..
http://daviddonner.com/Bio.aspx

Probably a good driver.

But yea the Chain....... 4WD system... sounds a tiny bit umm.. medieval. And understeery?

500hp 1.3L is no worse than a 1000hp 2.6L and thats more to the norm at pikes peak.

Eklund ran a 2L with 800hp+ and did set a record that still stands and won unlimited the following year.

The Celica of Rod Millen had something similar.

I don`t think the engine is the issue if its a hayabusa with 500hp.. its probably the handling.

Do you think such a 4wd system would even give any gains on pikes peak. it would slow him down on the fast bit but will he regain it on the twisty bits?

#33 pingu666

pingu666

• 9,272 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 21:38

number of hairpin bends at the top, so the forward bit awd gives would be really handy up there

#34 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:22

This David Donner guy is not new to pikes peak.

Probably a good driver.

I was refering to the team and car.

Donner has won at Pikes before but in much slower relative times.

#35 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 23:45

http://www.usacracin...ppihc/5157.html

850hp an 900kg is very impressive numbers for a Dacia Duster :D

And Monster is back once again to try to set a new record.

Petter solberg is still not to be seen.

Edited by MatsNorway, 27 January 2012 - 23:49.

#36 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 19:43

http://www.usacracin...ppihc/5183.html

The Palatov got about 300hp+

I have more belief in a radical with the same figures then..

#37 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 08:45

Liam Dorans RS200 first shakedown

Edited by MatsNorway, 23 June 2012 - 08:45.

#38 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 20:39

http://green.autoblo...#photo-5038134/

Monsters new Electric racer. Looks like the batmobile.

forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=159765&st=0&gopid=5820017&#entry5820017

Edited by MatsNorway, 11 July 2012 - 20:40.

#39 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 20:39

http://www.palatov.c...espeak/d4t.html

Walter Rohl is back and is going to race a Audi S1 apparently. :D

Edited by MatsNorway, 11 July 2012 - 20:40.

Advertisement

#40 THE "driverider"

THE "driverider"

• 804 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 20:43

Tought Pikes Peak was cancelled?

#41 l8apex

l8apex

• 557 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 22:16

He was supposed to attend in 2011 too but no one heard from him.

Thanks for the competitor list. im guessing it will get updated closer to the race. The Mark Rennison RS200 got some 900hp too but with the added fun of NOS. there is articles on the car. (google)

There is also listed a Cody Loveland who is attending in unlimited with a NSX. does anyone know anything about him and the car?

The entry list is closed after 31 of january. So i hope we get to se Paul Dallenbach and Monster back on track.

Rhys Millen is attending and so is Rod with rhys hyundai.

Cody owns Lovefab and is fairly well known in the NSX community for building turbo kits.

Here is a link to some pics and info on the car: http://www.nsxprime....ight=pikes peak

#42 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:13

Pikes peak got delayed.

Pretty sick looking thing that NSX.
Posted Image

Edited by MatsNorway, 12 July 2012 - 09:27.

#43 NotSoSilentBob

NotSoSilentBob

• 1,667 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 14:35

Shame Jeff Denmeade's not running in his little black Evo this year

#44 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 18:09

http://www.youtube.c...feature=g-all-u

The Lovefab NSX with its mad aero mounted.

#45 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:07

http://www.speedhunt...ds-wildest-nsx/

#46 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 16:57

Walter rohl was said to go to pikes peak in a S1 but hes not in the racing lists.

http://www.youtube.c...ature=endscreen

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Could someone translate???

Edited by MatsNorway, 05 August 2012 - 17:07.

#47 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 17:11

Toyota EV 002

#48 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 17:18

Palatov D4 in action at the peak.

Looks good to me.

Edited by MatsNorway, 05 August 2012 - 17:20.

#49 NoDivergence

NoDivergence

• 2,415 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:58

Doesn't look too bad, but seems quite oversteery, especially under braking. As he says, needs to be about 10% faster, I think it may be more realistically 15% considering the cars that are coming this year. The Lovefab NSX is ridiculous and it was making 600 whp on pump gas. What kind of gas are they allowed to use? Race gas?

#50 MatsNorway

MatsNorway

• 2,822 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:16

Yes

16.1 Fuel is restricted to gasoline, alcohol, diesel and approved
alternative fuels, i.e.; compressed natural gas, propane and
electricity.

16.2 All nitrogen based additives or materials are prohibited,
except in the Unlimited Division.

basically free. does not say anything about octane and so on.