Photo

Mac Ross

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:05

I'm doing a little digging about Mac Ross if anyone can help with any information at all. All I know is that he raced Minis (in both club and national events) from around 1964 until the early 70's, usually with his number 'BMR 10' on the bonnet, the earlier version being painted gold in colour. He owned a speed shop (in London ?) also but I'd very much like to know more if anyone can help.

Thank you .

Pete

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:09

My memory might well be doing Mr Ross a disservice, but didn't he lose his racing licence due to some misdemeanour in the Mini, or was he involved in such an incident as the innocent party while another driver fell foul of the RAC Stewards?

DCN

#3 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,431 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:29

Around about that time he had a big house in Chiswick, west London (where I visited him once, after he advertised for a goffer) & his Minis were in a large garage attached to the house.

I believe he was either the owner or part of the family that owned 'Ross' frozens foods.

Very polite & refined man on the face of it.

Edited by DogEarred, 16 January 2012 - 13:22.

#4 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:21

I believe he was either the owner or part of the family that owned 'Ross' frozens foods.

That's interesting, can anyone confirm this ? Can anyone remember his speed shop ?

#5 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 15:23

My memory might well be doing Mr Ross a disservice, but didn't he lose his racing licence due to some misdemeanour in the Mini, or was he involved in such an incident as the innocent party while another driver fell foul of the RAC Stewards?

DCN

Hadn't heard that , looks like he certainly got himself in a pickle here :

http://www.coteriepr...p...10638&cc=GB

#6 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 23:44

I did have a good rummage around t'internet today and couldn't find anything on Mac Ross or his connection to the Ross family of Ross foods/fish fame (try saying that after a cheeky Vimto !), that's not to say it isn't plausable as it was a large family. Anyone else want to 'chip' in ?

#7 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:03

I doubt this is of any use at all but there was a shop dedicated to 'racing supplies' just up the road from the Chiswick Roundabout on the junction of Gunnersberry Lane and Gunnersbury Avenue, I remember it because I spent a large part of 1978 and '79 stuck in a traffic jam on the North Circular, afraid I do not remember the name of the shop but its possible who ever was working there might have known more about local resident Mac Ross. Afraid I had never heard of him until today's post.

#8 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,431 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:35

I did have a good rummage around t'internet today and couldn't find anything on Mac Ross or his connection to the Ross family of Ross foods/fish fame (try saying that after a cheeky Vimto !), that's not to say it isn't plausable as it was a large family. Anyone else want to 'chip' in ?

I too had a quick rummage too & found nothing. Sorry, I can't remember how that came to mind - it's so long ago.

#9 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 21,431 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:39

I doubt this is of any use at all but there was a shop dedicated to 'racing supplies' just up the road from the Chiswick Roundabout on the junction of Gunnersberry Lane and Gunnersbury Avenue, I remember it because I spent a large part of 1978 and '79 stuck in a traffic jam on the North Circular, afraid I do not remember the name of the shop but its possible who ever was working there might have known more about local resident Mac Ross. Afraid I had never heard of him until today's post.

Small world - I think I bought my first race suit there. Can't remember who owned it though. Not doing very well on this, are we?

#10 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 19:12

I'm doing a little digging about Mac Ross if anyone can help with any information at all.
Thank you .

Pete

I did a little more digging and found a 'Ross House, Chiswick High Road, Chiswick, London, W4 1TS' seems to have a restaurant located on street level called 'revolution'. Afraid I can't tell if there is a connection or this is simply a coincidence.

#11 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 00:39

Still not come up with much on Mac Ross, surprising considering how long he raced. I have found he did get quite involved with the Mini Se7en racing club from 1966 onward. Any more info out there ?

Ta
Pete

#12 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,573 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 13:17

I think I bought my first race suit there. Can't remember who owned it though.

Jock Russell (of 911 rally fame late 60s/early 70s)? Became or was Grand Prix Racewear with a merger or takeover?

#13 Red Socks

Red Socks

• 617 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 17:27

Still not come up with much on Mac Ross, surprising considering how long he raced. I have found he did get quite involved with the Mini Se7en racing club from 1966 onward. Any more info out there ?

Ta
Pete

He had a drinking club in the late sixties early seventies in Craven Teraace off the back of the Bayswater Road, his cars were MR1 and MR1,one of those numbers on a 1275 GT Mini which lived at an office he had later off the Tottenham Court Road which we looked after. Always had a good looking blonde with him and I'm pretty sure he had a son somewhere as well
But it all was a long time ago.

#14 Morris S

Morris S

• 284 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 19:30

He had a drinking club in the late sixties early seventies in Craven Teraace off the back of the Bayswater Road, his cars were MR1 and MR1,one of those numbers on a 1275 GT Mini which lived at an office he had later off the Tottenham Court Road which we looked after. Always had a good looking blonde with him and I'm pretty sure he had a son somewhere as well
But it all was a long time ago.

Thanks for the input. Yes I've a photo from 1965 of his Morris 1100 towing his 970 race Mini on a trailer in the Brands Hatch paddock with MR1 on it. His son did some racing aswell by the sounds of it as suggested in a 'Personality Parade' article I've unearthed from Motoring News in early 1967, his son Patrick also looked after his 'Ross Racing' speed shop in Kilburn. Mac (Bryan Macdean Ross to give him his full title) was also the chairman of the British Club Drivers Association and director of the Starting Grid motorsport club in Paddington.