Photo

Has anyone read 'The Limit' about the '61 GP season ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rl1856

rl1856

• 361 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:57

I have just finished the book. I learned a great deal about the 2 protagonists of the season, Hill and Von Trips. I was reasonably familiar with Hill, but knew very little about Von Trips prior to reading the book.

In searching the archives for other posts regarding the book, it turns out that the author had posted in this forum back in 2008, looking for source material.

Has anyone else read the book and what are thoughts impressions etc ?

Personally, I felt the style was melodramatic and there were several glaring errors that better proofreading and fact checking would have caught.

Overall though, it was an entertaining afternoon's read.

Best,

Ross

Advertisement

#2 antonvrs

antonvrs

• 500 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:07

Ditto.
Anton

I have just finished the book. I learned a great deal about the 2 protagonists of the season, Hill and Von Trips. I was reasonably familiar with Hill, but knew very little about Von Trips prior to reading the book.

In searching the archives for other posts regarding the book, it turns out that the author had posted in this forum back in 2008, looking for source material.

Has anyone else read the book and what are thoughts impressions etc ?

Personally, I felt the style was melodramatic and there were several glaring errors that better proofreading and fact checking would have caught.

Overall though, it was an entertaining afternoon's read.

Best,

Ross

#3 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:28

There are several comments/reviews in the book thread. Look here and here, and also the posts following those two.

#4 BritishV8

BritishV8

• 160 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:59

I received "The Limit" as a Christmas present. Ross' comments match my thoughts very well. So many glaringly wrong little details about cars and their components! Those errors didn't matter to the story much, but I found them distracting and they diminished the author's credibility. On the other hand, I received the first of Burt Levy's books ("The Last Open Road"). It's fiction, but from an author who loves racing and racecars as much as we do and (so far as I've gotten) bothers to get the technical details right.

#5 ZOOOM

ZOOOM

• 522 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 21:12

I have read the book and found it very interesting.
The author is not a racing fan but has done a pretty good job of research. Yes, at one point he refers to the 1.5 litre cars as having over 400 horsepower, and his description of the pedal layout on the Ferrari 250 GT is all wrong.... But the story about Hill and Von Tripps is facinating.
His conclusion that Ferrari favored Tripps as champion because Chinetti pretty much had the USA sales wrapped up but Germany needed a champion, was interesting.
Over all I say it was a VERY good read.
ZOOOM

PS... I still have contempt for "The Pope of the North" for not letting Hill compete in the last race in '61 at his home GP.... Watkins Glenn.