• Please log in to reply
2151 replies to this topic

#1751 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:28

In fact, here is the detailed break up for the last few races:

Japan : MS
Singapore : MS (by virtue of both Mercedes drivers not opting to set a time in Q3)
Italy : MS
Belgium : MS on paper, but Rosberg suffered a gearbox problem, so this clearly doesnt count.

So if you do take the last 9 sessions, we can safely conclude the score as 5-3 while excluding Spa. To be honest we shouldnt even consider Singapore as Rosberg was faster than Schumacher in Q1 and Schumacher was faster in Q2, and in Q3 neither driver chose to run.

The score in qualifying is not as "dominant" by any means. And the story in races is different, Rosberg has a slight edge over Schumacher inspite of MS's uptick in form.

No. Schumacher was undeniably much faster than Nico in Spa. By 4 tenths if I remember correctly.

Singapore was like Barcelona. Both were very close in Q2 and didn't do fast times in Q3.

All in all, I think speed-wise, Rosberg was only faster in China, Valencia and maybe with some arguing Hungary. In all other qualifyings, Schumacher was either faster or on same pace but in some ocasions had misfortune

edit: I checked and MSC was really 0,45s faster than Rosberg in Q1(Nico was knocked out). Then in Q2, MSC posted a time 1,1s faster than Nico's. And if I remember correctly, Nico already used option tires on Q1 which would make even the 1,1s gap appliable

Edited by BetaVersion, 06 October 2012 - 18:35.

Advertisement

#1752 my_own_shadow

my_own_shadow

• 214 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:52

They didn't exactly have a choice.. Schumi wouldn't give them an answer on their offer so they were forced to make a decision. By all accounts, seemed Michael had at least a 1yr offer but was humming and hawwing..

Remeber Senna and his last year with McLaren? Senna considered taking a sabbatical for the 1993 season but Ron Dennis were very persuasive and a pay-by-race deal was finally agreed upon. But they in Mercedes doesn't trust Michael like Ron Dennis used to in case of Ayrton... :down:

#1753 Urawa

Urawa

• 1,135 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:54

He really excels in that fast flowing stuff, sadly that´s exactly the main problem of the car.
Would have been awesome to see what he could have done with a Sauber next year which would play into is strength.
We´ll never find out :|

I would try to start with the hard compound tomorrow and gamble on a SC.
If there is one during the opening laps he could dive into the pit and do 3x stints on the softer compound which would give us some nice action.

Edited by Urawa, 06 October 2012 - 19:01.

#1754 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,249 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 18:59

It doesn't matter how many times Schumacher is ahead of Rosberg. Commentators will never stop saying he's too old, that he's past it, that it's time to let someone else have go.

Schumacher is the form Mercedes driver. But you wouldn't know it if you listened to an English-speaking F1 broadcast.

I have a feeling this was part of his decision to retire:

"I have said at the end of 2009 that I want to be measured by my success, and this is why I had a lot of critizism in the past 3 years which partly was justified"

Partly, as in "I made mistakes, but some people need to take a good long hard look at themselves"

Edited by ClubmanGT, 06 October 2012 - 19:02.

#1755 grebsor

grebsor

• 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:02

No. Schumacher was undeniably much faster than Nico in Spa. By 4 tenths if I remember correctly.

Singapore was like Barcelona. Both were very close in Q2 and didn't do fast times in Q3.

All in all, I think speed-wise, Rosberg was only faster in China, Valencia and maybe with some arguing Hungary. In all other qualifyings, Schumacher was either faster or on same pace but in some ocasions had misfortune

edit: I checked and MSC was really 0,45s faster than Rosberg in Q1(Nico was knocked out). Then in Q2, MSC posted a time 1,1s faster than Nico's. And if I remember correctly, Nico already used option tires on Q1 which would make even the 1,1s gap appliable

Nico had a gearbox failure at the start of FP3. So he didn't manage to prepare his car set-up for dry (all friday was wet). He went in qualy with Schumi's set-up which didn't quite worked out.

#1756 Fondmetal

Fondmetal

• 148 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 19:39

It doesn't matter how many times Schumacher is ahead of Rosberg. Commentators will never stop saying he's too old, that he's past it, that it's time to let someone else have go.

Schumacher is the form Mercedes driver. But you wouldn't know it if you listened to an English-speaking F1 broadcast.

I have a feeling this was part of his decision to retire:

"I have said at the end of 2009 that I want to be measured by my success, and this is why I had a lot of critizism in the past 3 years which partly was justified"

Partly, as in "I made mistakes, but some people need to take a good long hard look at themselves"

Well said, Schumacher became a hate figure in the UK, and its funny how those ex British drivers who got spanked by a young Schumi now seem to be firing cheap shots at every opportunity along with idiot journos and Darren Heath!

No amount of criticism can take his 7 titles, 91 wins amongst other records away from him, Schumacher will remain the greatest driver in the history of F1. For those who dont remember he never always had the best cars, yet he was the most complete driver who would be fast in the wet, dry, but was also able to bang super fast qualy run during the race when others did not have teh capacity to do so.

One of his great drives people dont seem to realise was when he finished 2nd to Mansell in 1992 at the Spanish GP, at one stage he was lapping so much faster than anyone including Mansell, he was using his head and using different lines to find grip compared to others.

flick to 1:29.50 for Schumachers attack.

Edited by Fondmetal, 06 October 2012 - 19:45.

#1757 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 602 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:12

Schumacher would have put a Sauber in the top 3 here... just sayin' as a fanboy because I only have a few more races in which to celebrate his talents :cry:

#1758 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 20:44

Well said, Schumacher became a hate figure in the UK, and its funny how those ex British drivers who got spanked by a young Schumi now seem to be firing cheap shots at every opportunity along with idiot journos and Darren Heath!

No amount of criticism can take his 7 titles, 91 wins amongst other records away from him, Schumacher will remain the greatest driver in the history of F1. For those who dont remember he never always had the best cars, yet he was the most complete driver who would be fast in the wet, dry, but was also able to bang super fast qualy run during the race when others did not have teh capacity to do so.

One of his great drives people dont seem to realise was when he finished 2nd to Mansell in 1992 at the Spanish GP, at one stage he was lapping so much faster than anyone including Mansell, he was using his head and using different lines to find grip compared to others.

flick to 1:29.50 for Schumachers attack.

I thought the more telling part about this race was when Brundle, Michael's teammate at the time, spun out of the race for the fourth time in a row. The commentators glib comments were like this "it would seem that Michael's speed is proving to be too much for Brundle and that in an attempt to keep up, he was overdriving his car." There were further comments about this being disappointing that the Italian factions within the Benetton team would surely be looking at wanting to replace Brundle.

We watch this sort of thing carefully and we grow to understand the sort of commentating we see now.

#1759 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:10

Schumacher would have put a Sauber in the top 3 here... just sayin' as a fanboy because I only have a few more races in which to celebrate his talents :cry:

:rotfl: You should be grateful that Mercedes gave him a drive.

Advertisement

#1760 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:21

not this year

Mercedes should be grateful Schumacher put the car where it didn't belong, sometimes

#1761 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:28

Rosberg has 93 points to Schumacher's 43...

#1762 baddog

baddog

• 23,522 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:38

Rosberg has 93 points to Schumacher's 43...

Thanks captain insightful

Rosberg has, relative to his teammate, stunk the circuit up this year. He has been slower in almost every session. This is not an exaggeration.

#1763 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:41

Thanks captain insightful

Rosberg has, relative to his teammate, stunk the circuit up this year. He has been slower in almost every session. This is not an exaggeration.

apart from the most important session; the race itself.

Rosberg also won a race this year, something Schumacher has not done.

50 points is a huge difference at this stage of the season, to any impartial observer, Rosberg has easily outperformed Schumacher this year, even more convincingly than he outperformed him in 2010 and 2011...

Schumacher has been patchy at best since his return, in his heyday he was the best, now he is just a mediocre no/2 at Mercedes.

#1764 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:41

Its not a fan boy thing to say. It is very realistic. Even current F1 drivers and pundits would agree with you.

#1765 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:45

50 points is a huge difference at this stage of the season, to any impartial observer, Rosberg has easily outperformed Schumacher this year, even more convincingly than he outperformed him in 2010 and 2011...

Schumacher has been patchy at best since his return, in his heyday he was the best, now he is just a mediocre no/2 at Mercedes.

Easily? Oh come on. If you think that just cause of the points. Than i really have to wonder if you even bothered to pay attention to the race weekends at all. I would of agreed in 2010 and 2011, but nah not this year.

Edited by Massa_f1, 06 October 2012 - 22:48.

#1766 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:56

Easily? Oh come on. If you think that just cause of the points. Than i really have to wonder if you even bothered to pay attention to the race weekends at all. I would of agreed in 2010 and 2011, but nah not this year.

yes, clearly points are a useless way to judge how well someone has done in F1 races...

Rosberg has finished higher than Schumacher in 9 of the 14 races this season...

but hey, let's ignore that because apparently all that matters is qualifying, that's why they award points based on that and decide the championship on grid positions right? :drunk:

#1767 baddog

baddog

• 23,522 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 22:58

If you follow races using a points sheet yes. If you watch them or even read race reports no. nico has usually been slower IN RACES also. Without the litany of failures from the team Nico would have got the same beating in the stats he got in the real world.

Also have you REALLY been watching since you were 4? I know I have, 40 years of it, and the idea of counting points from one year and shouting 'THAT MEANS HE WAS BETTER' should be just unthinkable given that kind of experience.

Edited by baddog, 06 October 2012 - 22:59.

#1768 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 23:02

not this year

Mercedes should be grateful Schumacher put the car where it didn't belong, sometimes

He never did it once. :well:

#1769 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 643 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 23:13

That'll be the one race where Merc looked like managing a win all season.. And the same one they fluffed Schumacher's pit stop.

18 of those 50 are from one race. Another chunk can be put down to the first race. The trend was very clear, when the car was capable of higher points, Schumacher's kept falling apart. Now it's managing to almost hold together it's good for little more than weighing in as scrap, and is struggling for the lower end of the points positions.

If all you do is look at (or is that use, deliberately, twisting to suit your agenda) numbers, then Rosberg has obliterated Schumacher this year. However, actually watching the races gives a very different story, Schumacher has looked on par with, if not often better than, Rosberg, only to be let down mechanically at crucial moments. A little like last year, when on race day he was often stronger, but between car failures and a few too many midfield prangs, he finished less than a second place worth of points off his younger team mate.

I know it's the in thing to denigrate Schumacher's return performances, but it's also quite, quite sad and petty to ignore the detail and just twist the numbers in order to do so. We've not seen a Schumacher lost in the distance behind Rosberg, but instead a Schumacher frequently parked up as yet another piece of his car has fallen off. He's not only shone in qualifying, where he had been too weak the last two years, but has also been more than a match on days he's not been Grosjean'd or Merc'd out of contention.

#1770 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 23:18

excuses excuses...

keep ignoring the stats all you like, but history will recognise that Rosberg outperformed Schumacher in 2012.

#1771 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:01

He never did it once. :well:

At the very least, he put it 3rd on the 2 wet qualifyings this year.

He put it on pole at Monaco and we don't know if the car was really that good or was him and Nico over performing with it

#1772 genespleen

genespleen

• 349 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:09

excuses excuses...

keep ignoring the stats all you like, but history will recognise that Rosberg outperformed Schumacher in 2012.

The above is posted by someone who simply enjoys stirring the pot. Let him keep the spoon, folks.

#1773 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,775 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:11

excuses excuses...

the same goes in saying that MS is BY FAR the greatest driver of all times with 7 wdc and 91 wins

you either agree with both or with none :) can't have it both ways

#1774 schubacca

schubacca

• 799 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 00:54

come on folks.

A wise mod once said

Dont feed the troll

#1775 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:07

the same goes in saying that MS is BY FAR the greatest driver of all times with 7 wdc and 91 wins

Never thought of that but you do make an excellent point on the inconsistent arguments put forward by Michaels ditratctors.

#1776 WatchingF1since4yearsold

WatchingF1since4yearsold

• 250 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:21

at no point have I argued that he isn't, just pointed out that he has not been anything close to his best since his return.

#1777 MightyMoose

MightyMoose
  • RC Forum Host

• 1,118 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 01:21

come on folks.

A wise mod once said

Dont feed the troll

Indeed, and fair play to those who quite rightly ignored the flamebait.

Glad when this season is over because some people will have to a> get a life or b> find another driver to hate on.

The 50 point gap is even more unrealistic on the seasons performances than that between Hamilton & Button, it really doesn't tell anything like the story of how the season progressed. Still, never let the facts get in the way of a good trolling!

#1778 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,436 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:05

In all honesty, Mercedes should be grateful that NR and MS stayed around as long as they did. (Yes, I know Lewis is coming to the team, but that was his decision, so it explains itself.)

Can also mostly agree that he generally didn't put the car where it didn't belong (unless you'd count 'into the back of another car' as part of the aforementioned criteria, lol), but Canada 2011, Monaco quali 2012, and Valencia 2012 immediately spring to mind, and you'd have to be mad to say that the car honestly belonged there for any of those, in my opinion.

Edited by Afterburner, 07 October 2012 - 02:07.

#1779 Leyser

Leyser

• 1,561 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:29

5958087[/url]']
excuses excuses...

History will recognise that Schumacher won 91 races en route to 7 WDC. His time at Mercedes with Rosberg will be, at most, a footnote. :wave:

Advertisement

#1780 grebsor

grebsor

• 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:17

If you follow races using a points sheet yes. If you watch them or even read race reports no. nico has usually been slower IN RACES also. Without the litany of failures from the team Nico would have got the same beating in the stats he got in the real world.

Also have you REALLY been watching since you were 4? I know I have, 40 years of it, and the idea of counting points from one year and shouting 'THAT MEANS HE WAS BETTER' should be just unthinkable given that kind of experience.

Can you please list all the races in which Rosberg was slower than Schumacher?

#1781 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 06:50

Can you please list all the races in which Rosberg was slower than Schumacher?

In which races wasn't he? (Just to say: the majority showed ROS slower. Not all of them.)

Today we can't give any points. Unfortunately. I would have liked to know what ROS could do. The car is all over the place this weekend.

#1782 Sof1

Sof1

• 597 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:40

Yet again, Michael finishes ahead of Rosberg in Quali and race! Too bad the car is crap!

Rosberg is totally dominated by Schumi.

#1783 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:49

Come on, don't do that..

#1784 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:03

Yet again, Michael finishes ahead of Rosberg in Quali and race! Too bad the car is crap!

Rosberg is totally dominated by Schumi.

I see what you're doing, but Schumi needs no sarcasm like that, he is just better this year and his driving shows that.

#1785 grebsor

grebsor

• 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:25

In which races wasn't he?

1.Australia
2.China
3.Bahrain
4.Spain
5.Monaco
6.Canada
7.Europe
8.Hungary
9.Belgium
10.Italy
11.Singapore

#1786 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:38

1.Australia
2.China
3.Bahrain
4.Spain
5.Monaco
6.Canada
7.Europe
8.Hungary
9.Belgium
10.Italy
11.Singapore

Including races like these, where Schumacher hit the podium and Rosberg P6, makes your post obsolete instantly. Consideration is the word you're looking for.

#1787 grebsor

grebsor

• 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:46

Including races like these, where Schumacher hit the podium and Rosberg P6, makes your post obsolete instantly. Consideration is the word you're looking for.

In that race Rosberg wasn't slower. You can see the laps comparison between Nico and Michael:
HERE

Yes, overall, Michael won that round against Nico, because he finished higher. Nico finished lower because he had a bad race start, and then even a worse restart. But he wasn't slower. And that's what we are talking about, please don't forget that.

Edited by grebsor, 07 October 2012 - 08:48.

#1788 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:00

In that race Rosberg wasn't slower. You can see the laps comparison between Nico and Michael:
HERE

Yes, overall, Michael won that round against Nico, because he finished higher. Nico finished lower because he had a bad race start, and then even a worse restart. But he wasn't slower. And that's what we are talking about, please don't forget that.

Nico's past it mate, just move on, outperformed by an elderly, errorprone clown (so I'm reliably informed), he needs to hang up his helmet at the end of the season and let some fresh talent into that seat.

#1789 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:10

excuses excuses...

Sure, you're totally right.

Following your logic, history also recognises that Michael is the greatest driver there has ever been. 7 titles, pretty indisputable. Nobody has ever come close and until that happens he's the best in the world, no discussion needed. All that matters is the end results, regardless how it was achieved.

Now we can just stop watching those stupid races and simply read up on the results in monday mornings papers. :up:

#1790 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:03

excuses excuses...

keep ignoring the stats all you like, but history will recognize that Rosberg outperformed Schumacher in 2012.

This is why Mercedes-Benz kept Rosberg for 2013 and cut Schumacher loose, some fans are already trying to spin this into Schumacher choosing to leave lol

Quite a feather in Rosberg's cap besting seven time World Driving Champion Michael Schumacher two years in a row and now well on the way to a third. No matter how much wishful thinking and out right fantasy is applied to the numbers, over three seasons, the results are always the same, Rosberg always in front of his teammate. Let those irrational, sometimes delusional, supporters enjoy their fantasies if it takes some of the sting out of reality. it does not change the facts on the ground only in some peoples heads. Rosberg has a ride with Mercedes-Benz for 2013 nuff said.

Edited by SlateGray, 07 October 2012 - 11:24.

#1791 sharo

sharo

• 1,790 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:06

Oh come on
Posted Image
:p

#1792 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 3,069 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:10

This is why Mercedes-Benz kept Rosberg for 2013 and cut Schumacher loose, some fans are already trying to spin this into Schumacher choosing to leave lol

Quite a feather in Rosberg's cap besting seven time World Driving Champion Michael Schumacher two years in a row and now well on the way to a third. No matter how much wishful thinking and out right fantasy is applied to the numbers, over three seasons, the results are always the same, Rosberg always in front of his teammate. Let those irrational, sometimes delusional, supporters enjoy their fantasies if it takes some of the sting out of reality. it does not change the facts on the ground only in some peoples heads. Rosenberg has a ride with Mercedes-Benz for 2013 nuff said.

Another person blinded by hatred and who cannot see the obvious.

No matter, it's just one more person on my ignore list. Bye bye

#1793 SlateGray

SlateGray

• 6,122 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:20

Another person blinded by hatred and who cannot see the obvious.

I don't hate Rosberg, in fact as time marches on I have become more and more of a fan of his clean style and steady results. I feel he and Hamilton will have a fantastic time in 2013 each pushing the other to constantly improve what is already a race winning package in the hands of Rosberg. A talented guy like Hamilton will help take it to the next level, from a race winner to a multiple race winner, perhaps to championship challenger. Hamilton has to be commended on accepting the challenge and I have no doubt he will do very well. Who will be ahead at the end of 2013 is anybody's guess my money is on Rosberg all the way.

#1794 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,433 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:41

I don't hate Rosberg, in fact as time marches on I have become more and more of a fan of his clean style and steady results. I feel he and Hamilton will have a fantastic time in 2013 each pushing the other to constantly improve what is already a race winning package in the hands of Rosberg. A talented guy like Hamilton will help take it to the next level, from a race winner to a multiple race winner, perhaps to championship challenger. Hamilton has to be commended on accepting the challenge and I have no doubt he will do very well. Who will be ahead at the end of 2013 is anybody's guess my money is on Rosberg all the way.

Smartly avoiding the issue. You hate Schumacher, it's obvious from about every post of yours on the board.

#1795 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:05

Come on Alan, let's get you back to the care home. We'll visit specsavers on the way back so you can see what's going on again.

#1796 GiancarloF1

GiancarloF1

• 925 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 14:12

Poor ol' Michael clearly wiped the floor with young and charing and whatever Nico Rosberg since Valencia. Faster almost everywhere even as a 43 year old retiring guy. I'm not saying Rosberg is bad, but Schumacher is clearly the better driver of the two, despite the points.

Also I think Nico is a one hit wonder, as he always drove well in China, but seemed average for the rest of the races.

#1797 tormave

tormave

• 963 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:06

Fact will remain that Schumacher managed lose in points to his "journeyman" team mate convincingly and consistently through three consecutive seasons. Luck will always play a part, but the delta has been so big that the excuse department has been exhausted a long time ago. If Rosberg manages to do the same to Hamilton then maybe we can conclude that Schumi's return wasn't so bad after all, but at five races to go his comeback still looks like a big mistake.

#1798 Pits

Pits

• 415 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:27

Poor ol' Michael clearly wiped the floor with young and charing and whatever Nico Rosberg since Valencia. Faster almost everywhere even as a 43 year old retiring guy. I'm not saying Rosberg is bad, but Schumacher is clearly the better driver of the two, despite the points.

Also I think Nico is a one hit wonder, as he always drove well in China, but seemed average for the rest of the races.

I agree, but instead of downplaying Nico's efforts I think credit goes to Schumacher.
We will see next year how Lewis will do, it will put things in perspective anyway.

#1799 Shambolic

Shambolic

• 643 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 15:27

Fact will remain that Schumacher managed lose in points to his "journeyman" team mate convincingly and consistently through three consecutive seasons. Luck will always play a part, but the delta has been so big that the excuse department has been exhausted a long time ago. If Rosberg manages to do the same to Hamilton then maybe we can conclude that Schumi's return wasn't so bad after all, but at five races to go his comeback still looks like a big mistake.

I can't wait to hear you explain how Rosberg has been the better driver this weekend. From numbers to finishing places (after all, luck only plays a part, right?), and everything in between.

I'd ask you to justify your above statement with regard to Australia, Malaysia, Bahrain, Monaco, etc too, but perhaps they're not fresh enough in your memory.

2010 went very much to Rosberg. 2011 saw them finish LESS THAN ONE SECOND PLACE APART in the standings, so even if all you do is trouser tent yourself over numbers and not detail it was hardly a convincing beating (and let's not enter the "luck" factor of Schumacher having more mech troubles than Rosberg..). 2012 has been a lesson in how to demoralise and demotivate driver and team, with either piss poor management or diabolical design (or both). The points gap can be explained by the several team created troubles for Schumacher, especially when placed in the context of his car failing him when the Mercedes was at least able to mix it near the front. Now the car is good for lower points at best, it's hard to close the gap even if Rosberg had a Schumacher run of luck through to the end of the season.

I will agree on one thing though, Schumacher's comeback has been a huge mistake. He was foolish to believe a manufacturer backed Brackley that had just taken a title would ever keep any form of momentum, or give him reason to feel supported both by management and machinery, for three years. If he came back for the thrill of coming back and the rush of winning, then he'd have been better off with Lotus (or Renault Lotus, at the time), Sauber, McLaren, Ferrari, Williams, and even Force India. Much as he would do well to take a final year in one of those teams now, over the Brawn and Haug show. Unfortunately I can't see him changing his mind on retirement, unless Bernie chooses to tempt him with a promising seat and some dodgy dealing or other. Other greats have announced retirement only to sign for another team the next year, but I see it as very, very unlikely to happen. Perhaps if Mercedes could give him even one taste of success before the end of the year.. But there's more chance of HRT taking a one two.

Advertisement

#1800 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:24

Instead of the mudslinging match can someone here actually prove that "Schumacher has dominated Rosberg" on race days or "Rosberg has dominated Schumacher" on Sundays at all ?

In my opinion and reading of this year, the two drivers are very close, but Rosberg still has the slight edge as
1. He has made lesser mistakes. On the other hand, Schumacher has made some horrendous race ending mistakes this season. Lets not omit this when we compare the two drivers
2. On the subject of race pace, I'd actually like to see a nice, honest comparison between the two. I would estimate that the two are almost neck and neck on this one too, but because MS has made more mistakes and has lost a lot more points due to reliability, the picture looks skewed.

Rosberg still has been the better + more consistent Mercedes driver when we're talking race performances IMHO.

Edited by SparkPlug, 08 October 2012 - 06:26.