Photo

Rosberg v. Schumacher, 2012

• Please log in to reply
2151 replies to this topic

#2051 skinnyman

skinnyman

• 521 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:33

After five DNF's (four technical failures and a lot of BS by Grosjean and Senna)) in the first seven races Michael outscored Rosberg 47-26 in the remaining 13 races.

Advertisement

#2052 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 23:20

WTF does Spain '01 have to do with Rosberg beating MS for THREE straight years?

A lot. Ferrari was a better car that season. Hakkinen drove away from Schumacher like no tomorrow in that race, 50 seconds or something. A terminal clutch failure imploded his chances to win and he had to stop in the last lap. Schumacher won. Who was better?

After five DNF's (four technical failures and a lot of BS by Grosjean and Senna)) in the first seven races Michael outscored Rosberg 47-26 in the remaining 13 races.

Nice stat, I didn't know that one :)

@ISOT: Why is the age argument weak? Strawman.

By the way: he was talking about drivers in their 40s and 20s, not 40 and 20 years old. The eye test must have been free, I suspect.

Edited by Jejking, 27 November 2012 - 11:46.
Removed: Quoted Trolling by ISOT which no longer exists.

#2053 pUs

pUs

• 2,543 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 21:04

WTF does Spain '01 have to do with Rosberg beating MS for THREE straight years?

looking at the end result only, discarding what happened in the races. Like yourself with michael and Nico.

#2054 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:09

I think him not responding anymore in this thread says enough. Mission successful: the troll has been fed.

#2055 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,029 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 13:34

So, for arguments sake, you say Schumacher outperformed Hakkinen to win the Spanish GP of 2001?

Not so - that is not a valid argument. You cannot compare one single race with a stretch of three seasons.

If you compare Spain 2001 and 2010/2011/2012 you have to also acknowledge that Schumacher came back out of his own will, with one single mission: to win again. And he did not achieve that. Rosberg on the contrary won once.

Michael did not come back to say:"Look at Spain 2001 - who did really win - Mika was certainly better than me!" and with this justify his own 2010/2011/2012 record. No, Spain 2001 is exactly what it is, racing. And anything can happen in racing.

Michael wanted to succeed and actually win the WDC an eighth time, and not be slightly better than a Jarno Trulli style (thank you for that picture, MightyMoose) Nico Rosberg.

In that respect Michael has failed miserably, and when we go on lamenting about his mechanical failures we could go on lamenting about Alonso's Spa 2012 or Suzuka 2012 (else FA had been WDC). So to quote Norbert Haug, the if's and when's don't count in the end, and Michael did his own share of silly mistakes to contribute to that record of failure.

He did not say: "Look guys, I am over 40 now, my goal is to be slightly better than Nico".... no, he came back to win, and by that measure he is being measured. So stop justifying Michael and his exploits 2010/2011/2012, they were not convincing (safe maybe five exceptions in 2011 and 2012).

Concerning Nico: next year will show us very well where he stands (and thus where Michael stands). Although he will be presumably more fired up by having Lewis as a team mate.

#2056 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:01

:down:

Schumacher. If you think of him as a 40something rookie though, it was pretty impressive.

:down:
I always questioned Mercedes' signing of Schumacher. The end result was disappointing. The team would have been better off with Nick Heidfeld.

#2057 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 15:24

Not so - that is not a valid argument. You cannot compare one single race with a stretch of three seasons.

If you compare Spain 2001 and 2010/2011/2012 you have to also acknowledge that Schumacher came back out of his own will, with one single mission: to win again. And he did not achieve that. Rosberg on the contrary won once.

Michael did not come back to say:"Look at Spain 2001 - who did really win - Mika was certainly better than me!" and with this justify his own 2010/2011/2012 record. No, Spain 2001 is exactly what it is, racing. And anything can happen in racing.

Michael wanted to succeed and actually win the WDC an eighth time, and not be slightly better than a Jarno Trulli style (thank you for that picture, MightyMoose) Nico Rosberg.

In that respect Michael has failed miserably, and when we go on lamenting about his mechanical failures we could go on lamenting about Alonso's Spa 2012 or Suzuka 2012 (else FA had been WDC). So to quote Norbert Haug, the if's and when's don't count in the end, and Michael did his own share of silly mistakes to contribute to that record of failure.

He did not say: "Look guys, I am over 40 now, my goal is to be slightly better than Nico".... no, he came back to win, and by that measure he is being measured. So stop justifying Michael and his exploits 2010/2011/2012, they were not convincing (safe maybe five exceptions in 2011 and 2012).

Concerning Nico: next year will show us very well where he stands (and thus where Michael stands). Although he will be presumably more fired up by having Lewis as a team mate.

The whole root of the argument, as you will know from reading the posts above, is insearchofthe's post that Michael is not a GOAT driver because Nico beat him over the past 3 years. Yes Nico did beat him overall for those 3 years, well done to Nico. Michaels time at Mercedes was dissapointing. There's no point trying to argue whether Michael actually outperformed Nico this year because people like you don't want to hear it.

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why this stint undermined Michaels prior achievements when he was at the peak of his driving abilities, or why he alone should not be expected to lose pace after a certain age when someone as skilled as Prost is now seconds off the pace.

#2058 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 16:34

:down: :down:
I always questioned Mercedes' signing of Schumacher. The end result was disappointing. The team would have been better off with Nick Heidfeld.

Nonsense. We already saw NH in noncompetitive Renault and result was nothing to write about.

#2059 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,029 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 17:12

I am still waiting for someone to explain to me why this stint undermined Michaels prior achievements when he was at the peak of his driving abilities, or why he alone should not be expected to lose pace after a certain age when someone as skilled as Prost is now seconds off the pace.

I do not think that Michael's second career undermined Michael's first career - his record stands. Only his two careers are distinctly different, and I wonder if age is the only explanation.

Anyway, Michael is measured by what he set out to do in his second stint, and by that measure he failed miserably. He overrated himself badly or underestimated the relative strength of his opposition.

Kimi's comeback, although only after two years instead of three years like Michael, is a success on the other hand. Interestingly rallyeing does not give you the opportunity to do one-on-one battles, and exactly in that category Kimi was and is brilliant - so being out of the sport did not change anything. Michael is brilliant as well, as he has shown not least in his fights with Kimi, but the odd error or wrong judgement has crept in in that department of Michael's driving.

Advertisement

#2060 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 20:50

I do not think that Michael's second career undermined Michael's first career - his record stands. Only his two careers are distinctly different, and I wonder if age is the only explanation.

Anyway, Michael is measured by what he set out to do in his second stint, and by that measure he failed miserably. He overrated himself badly or underestimated the relative strength of his opposition.

Kimi's comeback, although only after two years instead of three years like Michael, is a success on the other hand. Interestingly rallyeing does not give you the opportunity to do one-on-one battles, and exactly in that category Kimi was and is brilliant - so being out of the sport did not change anything. Michael is brilliant as well, as he has shown not least in his fights with Kimi, but the odd error or wrong judgement has crept in in that department of Michael's driving.

Aditya we know you are one of Schumi staunchest critics and forgive me if i'm wrong but it sounds like you miss the old dog already!

#2061 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 602 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:24

I think him not responding anymore in this thread says enough. Mission successful: the troll has been fed.

Im right here pal.Not going anywhere. If my opinions frighten you, skip over them.

#2062 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:28

Im right here pal.Not going anywhere. If my opinions frighten you, skip over them.

Good argument. Now I understand why Michael Schumacher should not be expected to decline at all as a driver, when every other driver of the modern era has by his age.

Thanks for taking the time to debate that with us.

#2063 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,677 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:36

do keep on. Its entertaining not frightening.

#2064 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:50

Of course it's not about one race, it's about the logic. You can't deny ISOT applies the same logic behind Spain 2001 to Schumachers three years at Mercedes but as a routinier I expected you to see that instantly. Too bad you didn't.

#2065 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:56

:down: :down:

We from Apple recommend Apple. If you're a hater, there is nothing we can do about it except let you dwell in your own world. Which is exactly what I'm gonna do.

The whole root of the argument, as you will know from reading the posts above, is insearchofthe's post that Michael is not a GOAT driver because Nico beat him over the past 3 years. Yes Nico did beat him overall for those 3 years, well done to Nico. Michaels time at Mercedes was dissapointing. There's no point trying to argue whether Michael actually outperformed Nico this year because people like you don't want to hear it.

Nobody's gonna argue with that successfully, unless they found a fountain of youth slash time machine.

Oh, you're still here? I didn't notice :rotfl: No seriously, if you want your opinions to be frightening, you have to do better than this. This is only mildly entertaining, let's say I was more impressed with the organisation of Michael Winslows show in Germany last saturday :smoking:

#2066 InSearchOfThe

InSearchOfThe

• 602 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:02

Good argument. Now I understand why Michael Schumacher should not be expected to decline at all as a driver, when every other driver of the modern era has by his age.

Thanks for taking the time to debate that with us.

Excuses, excuses.
Numbers don't lie.
My first post merely stated Rosberg outscored MS and all the fanboys got offended.If all you guys have is the age difference, why didn't everone pick NR to beat MS before 2010? Could it be because you thought Mikey still had something to give? He had nothing to give but, he did take millions from Merc for a very average 3 years. You think he's the greatest fine. I DON'T.

#2067 Cult

Cult

• 461 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:28

Excuses, excuses.
Numbers don't lie.
My first post merely stated Rosberg outscored MS and all the fanboys got offended.If all you guys have is the age difference, why didn't everone pick NR to beat MS before 2010? Could it be because you thought Mikey still had something to give? He had nothing to give but, he did take millions from Merc for a very average 3 years. You think he's the greatest fine. I DON'T.

You're using that argument against Schumacher fans :lol:

#2068 Schumacher7

Schumacher7

• 714 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:42

Meh, Schumacher's still the better driver.

#2069 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,677 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:51

You're using that argument against Schumacher fans :lol:

LOL, the irony. Poor guy, stepping on his own landmine.

#2070 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 23:06

Excuses, excuses.
Numbers don't lie.

Sorry but where is your argumentation exactly?

Edited by Jejking, 28 November 2012 - 23:06.

#2071 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,115 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 23:38

Excuses, excuses.
Numbers don't lie.

I hope you have Michael as your absolute and irrefutable number 1 driver in F1 history. The numbers don't lie.... remember?..... REMEMBER???? :p

#2072 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 1,947 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 00:53

One thing is sure for me,Michael was getting better every year since his return,he drove very well this year.

#2073 schumimercamg

schumimercamg

• 315 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:45

[quote name='Boxerevo' date='Nov 29 2012, 00:53' post='6057419']
One thing is sure for me,Michael was getting better every year since his return,he drove very well this year.
[/quote

As did Lewis!

#2074 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,551 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:46

Well I for one DID pick NR to give MS a beat down in 2010 and IMHO this year was a worry for Nico, Michael was right with him and certainly got the wrong end of the reliability stick. I say that as someone who has never warmed to Michael but I have seen all the races this year and well, that's how it is.

#2075 Paco

Paco

• 1,215 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:07

How about this.. if you were starting up a team and you were Team Principle.. which driver 2013 would you hire between Rosberg and Schumi??

Taking into consideration: Experience, Ability to bring a team together, Work Ethic, Sponsorship and Media Coverage..

I'd take Schumi in each and every one of those categories over Rosb hand down, not even a question.

Too bad Schumi can't jump into Lotus next season along side Kimi..

#2076 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,551 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:10

I'd hire Rosberg cos at some point michael is just gonna get too old.

#2077 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,333 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:28

I would pick Nico (if he ws my only choice) as well due to MSC's age.

Edited by Raelene, 29 November 2012 - 09:10.

#2078 ClubmanGT

ClubmanGT

• 1,245 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:00

Yea the young guy who underperformed compared to the old guy has way more time left to get even older and even slower.

Michael was probably about as slow as he was going to get. And he was still the better of the two.

#2079 baddog

baddog

• 23,424 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:29

I would hire someone else, because if the old guy is too old then the 'prime age' driver he just whipped is hardly going to be much use ;)

Advertisement

#2080 black magic

black magic

• 3,859 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:38

I still wonder how fit nico really is given his pretty good qualifying perfromance but regularly insipid race day performances.

you dont sense the dogged determination you sense with michael as he fights against being overtaken. in fatc the only person nico got energised defending against was michael himself

#2081 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:55

How about this.. if you were starting up a team and you were Team Principle.. which driver 2013 would you hire between Rosberg and Schumi??

Taking into consideration: Experience, Ability to bring a team together, Work Ethic, Sponsorship and Media Coverage..

I'd take Schumi in each and every one of those categories over Rosb hand down, not even a question.

Too bad Schumi can't jump into Lotus next season along side Kimi..

Its a good question. I'd have to go with neither as well. Nico if you pushed me. Michael showed flashes, but he is not getting any younger and there were too many of those silly mistakes creeping in. I actually think he bailed out at the right time - he was still able to give strong drives and I think his last race was fitting. A season of potential Hungary's would not have been good. The main weakness I saw with Michael was, although he improved his quali pace, he was only able to do that about half the time. The other half he seemed to be making mistakes on his quali laps, just missing apexes here and there maybe. That sort of thing all adds up, and a top drawer GP driver can't be doing that. You wouldn't imagine Lewis being so inconsistent. Ageing is a bitch.

As for Nico - I still don't know what to make of him. Good pace, but maybe a little bit too happy to just do enough? Its tough, I don't want to critisize him too much because this year especially the Merc has been crap. If Nico has never been able to push the tyres he's going to have had poor race pace. But I never really get the sense that he wants to be pushing to get up there and fight like Michael did.

Weirdly if you add up both of their good qualities I guess you get Lewis. Next year will be interesting. I still think they are both going to suck because of the car though.

#2082 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:34

Excuses, excuses.
Numbers don't lie.

No, you're first post stated that Michael can't be considered as a GOAT driver because he got beaten by Nico. No one got offended, just tried to get some debate out of you to back up your contention. I've checked and, yes, this is a discussion forum. The unsubstantiated opinion forum is just down the road. Throwing the term 'fanboy' around just because you can't back up your own argument is pretty weak.

If the numbers don't lie then how can the person who won as many world titles as Prost and Senna combined, the person with 91 race wins, the person with the most pole positions, be anything other than the greatest of all time? If the numbers don't lie.

Is your full user name 'insearchofthecoherentargument'?

Also, there's no need to shout.

#2083 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:07

Aditya , not a good year ?  ;)

#2084 grebsor

grebsor

• 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:15

Schumi finished the Mercedes era once again finishing way ahead of Rosberg.

Rosberg had a damaged floor on the car. Read the post race commentaries, it helps to understand some things ;)

But it won't surprise me if you will say that it was Nico's fault picking up a puncture...

#2085 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:30

Rosberg had a damaged floor on the car. Read the post race commentaries, it helps to understand some things ;)

But it won't surprise me if you will say that it was Nico's fault picking up a puncture...

They both have puncture.

#2086 grebsor

grebsor

• 28 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:41

They both have puncture.

Ross Brawn: "Nico’s car suffered a lot of damage and that made his race very difficult. Michael’s puncture wasn’t as severe and the team did a good job to recover, with some help from the safety car. "

Edited by grebsor, 29 November 2012 - 13:42.

#2087 maverick69

maverick69

• 4,519 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 13:51

Wrong thread. Bad Mav

Edited by maverick69, 29 November 2012 - 13:53.

#2088 Afterburner

Afterburner
  • In the running for best OP of 2014

• 3,354 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 18:19

As an MSC supporter since the first F1 race I saw, I'd have to say that Nico beat Michael during their time together at Mercedes. No shame in admitting that, either, in my opinion: I very much doubt Nico--or any driver for a very long time--will have the desire or ability to continue racing at the sharp end of the grid in F1 at 40+ years old.

Hats off to Nico for a superb job over the last three years, and all the best to him against Lewis. It will be very interesting to see how they match up.

#2089 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:23

you're a Lewis fan, right?

numbers don't lie. Button scored more points than Hamilton, overall, during their 3 years together. He's definitely better driver than Lewis :drunk:

didn't know about that as I guess I posted that right after the race.

Good, Nico had a valid excuse for such poor pace

Edited by BetaVersion, 29 November 2012 - 21:35.

#2090 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 21:46

The more I think about it, the more I cannot see the relevance of this thread. That is not the fault of the OP. It is has to do with Mercedes not providing equipment commensurate of either of these drivers' ability.

If one thing is not breaking off on car, it is another thing not functioning on the other.

Neither driver embarrassed themselves. NR enjoyed the points advantage for sure. But when could either one truly shine?

I cannot remember when..... China, Monaco was so long ago....

#2091 Number62

Number62

• 493 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:01

James Allen's head to head

http://www.jamesalle...rd-at-mercedes/

#2092 1Devil1

1Devil1

• 2,736 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:21

James Allen's head to head

http://www.jamesalle...rd-at-mercedes/

This front row statistic is funny because it counts Monaco in favor for Nico. Why does a front row statistic even come up when talking about Mercedes. Michael was four times top three this year. Just have a look at "ahead if the two cars finished" over all three years (counting in his "bad" year 2010) tells me more than other statistics (race wins or podiums which are took place when Michael suffered from bad reliability)

#2093 Kompressor

Kompressor

• 546 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 18:49

This front row statistic is funny because it counts Monaco in favor for Nico. Why does a front row statistic even come up when talking about Mercedes. Michael was four times top three this year. Just have a look at "ahead if the two cars finished" over all three years (counting in his "bad" year 2010) tells me more than other statistics (race wins or podiums which are took place when Michael suffered from bad reliability)

:rolleyes: It may hurt your feelings but James Allen has simply laid out some facts. Deal with it. :wave: "the elder German was comprehensively beaten by his team-mate" He should've been ashamed to be driving around with that number 7 on his car. Nico deserved the lower race number 'every' year. :smoking:

#2094 sharo

sharo

• 1,772 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 18:50

7 is a compressed 8 you know :smoking:

#2095 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,289 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:00

All in all sure Nico has beaten Michael on the statistics side simple as that.

For me it's easy and it's like this:

2010: Goes to Nico
2011: Equal maybe a very slight edge for Rosberg
2012: Goes to Michael

Michael improved every year and had a lot more bad luck compared to Nico. This year Michael was a lot more consistent and Nico's win in China has really made the big point difference this year.

#2096 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,024 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 19:07

How many DNF's for Michal?

How many technical problems for Michael?

#2097 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,392 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:18

:rolleyes: It may hurt your feelings but James Allen has simply laid out some facts. Deal with it. :wave: "the elder German was comprehensively beaten by his team-mate" He should've been ashamed to be driving around with that number 7 on his car. Nico deserved the lower race number 'every' year. :smoking:

James Allen is human. Therefore he makes mistakes. This is one of them. Monaco 2012 was a legitimate pole so he got his stats wrong, although he is right when he says Rosberg outqualied Schumacher over the course of the 3 seasons.

You're human as well, but the amount of mistakes you make just keeps adding up, don't get us started haha. All hail to the champ of selective reading ;)

#2098 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,677 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:42

All in all sure Nico has beaten Michael on the statistics side simple as that.

For me it's easy and it's like this:

2010: Goes to Nico
2011: Equal maybe a very slight edge for Rosberg
2012: Goes to Michael

Michael improved every year and had a lot more bad luck compared to Nico. This year Michael was a lot more consistent and Nico's win in China has really made the big point difference this year.

This.

Everything else is just pure speculation, and benign/malicious twisting of facts. Everyone here has seen the past three seasons. Everyone has seen what the car was capable of. Both of them have fought to extract performance from the three dogs Mercedes has produced thus far. Both of them have been put into a shameful position, as far as expectations go.As far as their scorecard vs each other, it is only that: a scorecard. MS is MS. If NR would be the natural successor to his status in the team, Merc would not have invested so heavily in LH. They would not even have done that, if MS, when pushed by the team, would have said 'ok, where do I sign' It kind of spices up the show next year(for me at least) because of how LH and NR will fare against each other.

#2099 spacekid

spacekid

• 2,678 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 23:57

:rolleyes: I'm going to write this reply in a style that you will understand :drunk:

Michael got pole at Monaco :clap: and stating that he didn't get that pole isn't a fact :confused: but at least a strange ommision :well: or maybe even a mistake :cry:

I also don't see the big deal with the lower race number :evil: I remember when race numbers were more personal to a team or driver :D as they still are in MotoGP, no one with half a brain was thinking it meant Michael had scored more points in 2011 :o , plus the red and yellow went nicely with their helmets and gloves :cool: and the # 7 works well for Michael :cool: Saying it was shameful is just ridiculous in my opinion ):

k? :wave:

Advertisement

#2100 BetaVersion

BetaVersion

• 689 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 00:20

James Allen is just a bitter **** and Hamilton fanboy who, therefore, hates MSC because he's greater than his idol.

Nico only started on front row twice because of MSC's penalty in Monaco.

This muppets twisted every statistic he could find in order to make it better for Nico.

Why cherry pick front row start? Because it will suit in Nico's favour with the grid penalties and etc!

Schumacher started in 2nd row in first 2 Qualifyings of 2012(4th in Melbourne and 3rd in Sepang) while Nico was very far behind.

Schumi was almost fighting for pole in rainy Germany and Silverstone while Nico was nowhere.

In average Q position, Schumacher was way better than Rosberg this year even with all the car problems(Q1 in Bahrain) and grid penalties as in Suzuka, Monaco and etc, but **** James Allen won't bring that up because it doesn't suit is agenda.

Please, don't quote this idiot anymore. He was already kicked out from British TV for good and he only deserves getting forgotten.

Edited by BetaVersion, 01 December 2012 - 00:23.